Van Bronckhorst - Time to say goodbye? All just a little bit of History repeating via an article from 2019

I'm hoping this will mean things will turn out more positive for us. Feels like tomorrow is huge.
Hopefully. Tomorrow is huge and we need to win. On another note there is no way I can face watching another insipid 'performance' such as we had to endure against Dundee United.

That was beyond a joke and completely unacceptable. If Gio persists with whatever it is he has been trying to do it will cost him his job sooner rather than later.

Van Bronckhorst- Time for Feyenoord to say goodbye? original article from 2019

Reading up on a few retro pieces about GVB as I try to make sense of Rangers senseless regression and ever growing concern around the lack of tangible improvement.

A few lines from the Football Oranje article that are damningly familiar :-

However, despite the recent success, all is not well at the Rotterdam club. Feyenoord have put contract talks with Van Bronckhorst on hold until February and the club are again, for the second year running, out of the Eredivisie title race in January. The main reason is Feyenoord’s inability to change the course of the game especially against lower ranked opposition. The blame for this must lay squarely at Van Bronckhorst’s door, the manager’s job is to find a successful plan B when plan A isn’t working. Whenever Feyenoord are struggling to break a team down, or trying to find a way back into a match, Van Bronckhorst will rarely venture away from his trusted cross the ball to the wings and then into the centre tactic and his 4-3-3 formation.

This inflexibility to change tactics has meant opponents read Feyenoord’s game, knowing precisely what they’ll do and when, and has led to some shock defeats such as against PEC Zwolle and De Graafschaap. The bigger teams, such as Ajax, can exploit this weakness from the outset having prepared for it and, as a result, inflict big and predictable defeats. Until Feyenoord find a way to solve this issue, a sustained title challenge seems out of the question. The biggest worry for fans and management alike is the standard of football has dropped off considerably this season so that teams now believe they can pick up points from Feyenoord both home and away.

Swap the Team names and that could be written about Rangers right now. Bad enough hes not learned/learning from his mistakes here but it may not be so new and as such so senseless.

I feel more and more the injuries are a smokescreen for what is simply poor tactical nous, both from the KO and reflective during the games.

You start to now wonder even if we had some absentees back would it really alter things significantly? We'd have a stronger XI for sure but that may not be the problem...
It's fucking scarily close to the what we witness on a weekly basis

know a lad who follows Feyenoord , spoke to him when Gio was appointed ,
Feyenoord played the worst football he has watched from them under Gio , (the lad is in his late 50,s) everything the O P quoted from 2019 my Feyenoord friend has also said .
I'm not doubting he said that but that seems a bit hyperbolic.

In 2010/11 Feyenoord finished 10th and got wacked 10-0 by PSV in one game. Putting up with the horseshoe and a league title seems a little better than that.

We've completely burnt the 2 transfer windows since he's been here, you simply can't recruit as badly as that and expect success.

How much he's had to do with that we don't know.
In a nutshell. Though also coupled with pedestrian tactics. TBH there is no excuse for not beating the rest much easier than he makes it. I’m 95 percent convinced that it will fully fall apart this season and I fear tomorrow.

That said our board would only act if income streams were affected.

The manager and team have had ten days on the training ground to change tactics and attitude. Tomorrow will show if they have made progress as a group. If they don’t put in a performance and get three points then we are in trouble for the rest of the season and it shows that there is a relationship breakdown between the players and management. A lot riding on tomorrow. Hopefully the real Rangers team turn up and we push on from here.

We all know we have issues and style of the style of play isn't what we want but possibly we could be top tomorrow afternoon ,even just for a short time.

Some of the football on offer during nine in a row was wretched at times also ,but they knew how to win football matches and that's the most important thing going forward.

Wow, I have almost the opposite opinion. Goldson played in a defence with a clean sheet record no that long ago. Kamara was touted as a 20m player, now he can't get a game. Kent, Tav, Lundstrum, Morelos, none of the players are performing to their capabilities.

The "core" of this team went through a league campaign without losing a game.

Completely get that point, but the same core are currently looking like conceding a league again, 1 league title out of 5? That can’t be disputed and I don’t understand how anyone is going to come in and turn that round with them.

Also- Glen Kamara has never been a 20 million player. 20 million players stroll the SPL and don’t down tools.

Tomorrow is a big game for Gio, in terms of performance we’ve struggled most games against the bigger teams in our league. That needs to change and tommorow needs to be the start of that.

In all fairness, since he left Feyenoord they haven't exactly went on to being more successful. He had them finishing 3rd, 1st, 4th, 3rd. Since then they've finished 3rd, 5th, 3rd, and are currently 4th.

I just get the feeling that we are at that stage we were at the months leading up to Alli finally going.

Hopefully. Tomorrow is huge and we need to win. On another note there is no way I can face watching another insipid 'performance' such as we had to endure against Dundee United.

That was beyond a joke and completely unacceptable. If Gio persists with whatever it is he has been trying to do it will cost him his job sooner rather than later.
100%. Just wish Gio could make the tweaks needed to make us more expansive domestically. He is entering make or break time

Completely get that point, but the same core are currently looking like conceding a league again, 1 league title out of 5? That can’t be disputed and I don’t understand how anyone is going to come in and turn that round with them.

Also- Glen Kamara has never been a 20 million player. 20 million players stroll the SPL and don’t down tools.
Not sure I'd say Kamara has downed tools. Under Gerrard he had a specific role that he played well. I don't think Gio has an idea how to utilise him best. He's certainly not a 10 and in his last start there the manager hooked him at half time. That's on the manager.

Kent isn't at it either but is now glued to the touchline and it's 20 passes before the ball gets to him. We play with an out and out, touch the lines winger on the left and an inside forward on the right. That's on the manager.

People are bemoaning the signings and calling Ross Wilson every name going but we lined up in our last game with 2 B Team players in the team while Davies and Tillman sat on the bench. I don't know what the deal is with the new players but Gio must have known what the situation was with signing players before taking the job.

He says he won't change his philosophy but I've been to every home game under him and I still can't see what we are trying to do.

Tomorrow is a big game for Gio, in terms of performance we’ve struggled most games against the bigger teams in our league. That needs to change and tommorow needs to be the start of that.
As big as his last game and will be as big as his next one, and then his next one.
Kind of how it works at Rangers

We had every warning from Feyenoord fans of what to expect under Gio however I, like most of us, got caught up in the excitement of a big name and ex-player coming in to replace Gerrard.

It’s really concerning just how many of his flaws at Feyenoord have carried forward into this Rangers team - particularly the slow build up play.

Well whatever you would call an internet article then.
Well whatever you would call an internet article then. (bit pedantic mate)
Look I would love to say the opposite but it’s glaringly obvious we are a poor watch,everything in what I read said the exact same on how he sets his teams up,in fairness to him it’s really not his fault if it fails as it’s pretty clear how he likes to set up his teams the board should have known that,all I can say is I hope for all our sakes he can change things round and have us play a different style to what’s on offer,if he does I will admit I’m wrong and to me it doesn’t mean he needs to win anything but if we play good football I will be a very happy man.

At least you are honest enough to say it, there are loads who think it but won’t say it.

For clarity, it’s a f*cken awful thought process!!

Rangers fans who would rather see us lose? Pathetic!!
Ultimately we will lose the league every year until he goes. So I don't blame folk for wanting a loss. Whatever gets him gone

It doesn't really matter anymore. He can't save his job as the damage has already been done. Its just a matter of time before he leaves. He's been playing the same style of football for years, so he's not going to randomly stop playing that style just because of a couple of poor performances.

It would mean him completely changing his outlook. Hopefully this fortnight off has given him some time to have a think to himself. Reading that article though it doesnt seem likely. It looks more like we are heading to the inevitable conclusion of his inflexibility/ stubbornness getting him the sack. It might be a drawn out painful process but it seems as sure as night following day.
There's nothing for him to think about in his opinion. There's nothing wrong apparently.

From what we’ve seen of Gio, we need a change in approach to be more aggressive going forward and generally be more attacking. History tells us that he doesn’t change his approach.

Unless he’s learned from his previous mistakes, I can see us labouring to wins against teams we should be beating comfortably and really struggling away from home between now and the World Cup.

The club might choose to move on from Gio at that point, but the chances of that seem to be between slim and nil based on the recent interview with the board.

Problem is if GVB leaves we're still left with multiple legacy problems like dreadful recutment, lack of money invested in the side and injury prone players eating up wages.

I honestly can't see another top manager coming in knowing he's going to be outspent in the transfer market every summer by that other mob.

It's getting to the point next summer where we are looking at probably £20m needing spent to bring the team up to scratch when looking at the players who could potentially leave.

Wow, I have almost the opposite opinion. Goldson played in a defence with a clean sheet record no that long ago. Kamara was touted as a 20m player, now he can't get a game. Kent, Tav, Lundstrum, Morelos, none of the players are performing to their capabilities.

The "core" of this team went through a league campaign without losing a game.
2 years ago mate

We have the players to batter domestic teams in Scotland. It just isn't utilised properly, and we get dragged down into a mire of tedious slow play.
We don’t really have the players in my opinion to batter teams in Scotland…..we defo have the players to win but I suspect most of our wins this season will be scrapping over the line. We have regressed as a team and squad we can’t expect the rest of the league to be the same.

Nothing controversial just what I’m watching

Back