Gio: Souttar brought injury issue with him from Hearts

I understand people having a go at every man and their dog for this, but a free transfer on a pretty low wage was a risk worth taking.

Fair enough if we paid couple million for him but we didn't.

The bigger concern for me is bringing in Davies and him not kicking a ball.
He’s not on a low wage he knocked back big money from Blackburn to sign for us but is still on a more than decent amount.

Anyone on here could’ve told you without a medical that Souttar would never be fit.

Yet, we give him a medical and don’t spot an injury that has kept him out for months?

This was a ridiculous signing and one we all knew would end up like this.

The fact we let Balogun and Katic go makes this signing even more pathetic.

Ross Wilson really is the biggest problem at our club right now.

We knew about the “injury”. As I understand it, the issue is actually pain related to surgery rather than a glaring miss via the medical.

The club have opted to remove the issue causing the pain.

That was what I was told during the week anyway.

Anyone who brought his name forward as a possible signing, anyone who then went on to submit his name to the manager and then the manager himself, are all accountable for this abomination of a transfer. Which ties in with the rest of the recruitment being sub-standard, and that is being very very kind.

Not good enough on all fronts.

You can add the fact that instead of deciding to spend our main money on a central midfielder that we badly needed to be able to hold our own in the CL, we spent it on a left back to sit on the bench every week.

Our transfer dealings are scandalous at times
A Centre mid and another Bassey type project.

We knew about the “injury”. As I understand it, the issue is actually pain related to surgery rather than a glaring miss via the medical.

The club have opted to remove the issue causing the pain.

That was what I was told during the week anyway.
Loads of speculation, but to remove the pain you're talking about amputation then.

Club knew? the world knew his achilles is f ucked and he will never be fit enough to remain a constant in the team.

Loads of speculation, but to remove the pain you're talking about amputation then.

Club knew? the world knew his achilles is f ucked and he will never be fit enough to remain a constant in the team.

It’s not his Achilles though and the amputation comment is ridiculous!!

No-one wanted to touch John Brown due to his injuries yet he turned out to be a huge player for us at the time.
Hately had problems as well but we got great service from him too.
Getting Souttar on a free wasn't a huge risk and might still work out long term.
That won’t go down well on here mate. The know alls on FF already have him in a wheelchair. Most of them probably hoping his surgery fails.

Will go down as one of the most stupid signings we will ever make. Injury prone and far inferior to Balogun, who should have been retained.

He has had an operation and is doing rehab pain free. We can only hope that means he will come back without the injury continuing. If so he is young enough to get his career back on track. May turn out ok. patience needed.

A monumental waste of money and a wage.

Most fans predicted he’d spend more time injured and already that’s the case.

Yet another example of Wilson’s shambolic signings but hey, we’re all about the “best in class”

I honestly think whoever sanctioned this shit should be getting their jotters. It's just constant with our signings.

I would need to think everyone on this board had a good idea it was going to pan out this way.
No one has been sacked for the caxhina disgrace and the signings he was allowed to make, souttar is nothing compared to that.
Doesn’t make it right, but no comparison.

Agree and disagree.

He had a bad injury but still remember him playing plenty and thinking he was a good defender.
Correct mate. People are making stuff up as they go along. He was fine on appearances until a bad one in 2019/20 saw him out for about 18 months, playing almost the entire season for Hearts last season. The fact that GvB says he brought it from Hearts could just mean it's a re occurrence of the same injury he suffered 2019/20. I hardly think we would have signed him injured and then played him to make it worse.

Yeah reading between the lines a few times recently that's my thoughts too.

Which then begs the next question - is that him putting it out there that he's not got much say on the transfer policy?

If so, it then begs another question - why did he accept the job knowing that was the case? what manager worth their salt would?

Or did the goalposts move on him after the accepted the position?

No matter what's true - it doesn't look good either way.
The questions you’re asking are pretty much the same as what I’m wondering - and probably most on this forum.

Ever since that first game at Livingston the concern for this team and the recruitment just keeps building and building.

Win at Hearts tomorrow though and who knows what kind of effect that could have.

I'm not usually a fan of the "bizarre signing" line, but as things currently stand in this case it's 100% apt. I just can't understand what the logic was here. Even the thinking that it was "worth a punt in case it works out" is a massive luxury for where we are right now. Sure, Souttar could get fit and put a run of games together, but when a new signing with his injury record plays one or two games and then is out for months, it's a little more serious than "ach well, it's not worked out."

I wonder if we really expected Souttar to play a big part this season anyway.

He cost us nothing and helps us comply with the homegrown requirement. If our physios could help him shake off his issues then we have a Scottish international as a backup centre half. It still makes some kind of sense.

The flip side to that is we could have satisfied the homegrown rule elsewhere in the squad, and that’s a fair argument too, but if we were unable to recruit other Scottish international level players then we’d need to promote youth and maybe it was felt there weren’t enough players of sufficient quality waiting in the wings?

Back