Gio: Souttar brought injury issue with him from Hearts

I understand people having a go at every man and their dog for this, but a free transfer on a pretty low wage was a risk worth taking.

Fair enough if we paid couple million for him but we didn't.

The bigger concern for me is bringing in Davies and him not kicking a ball.
He is going to cost £1m+ in wages.
More money than sense.

I wonder if we really expected Souttar to play a big part this season anyway.

He cost us nothing and helps us comply with the homegrown requirement. If our physios could help him shake off his issues then we have a Scottish international as a backup centre half. It still makes some kind of sense.

The flip side to that is we could have satisfied the homegrown rule elsewhere in the squad, and that’s a fair argument too, but if we were unable to recruit other Scottish international level players then we’d need to promote youth and maybe it was felt there weren’t enough players of sufficient quality waiting in the wings?

We don't need to have the players in the squad.

It just means we have less players available if we don't use those spots. 17 max who don't meet either criteria for club or nation trained.

We obviously felt he was a risk worth taking as when fit he is a good player.

Not many that are available who fit the club trained criteria, are low cost and are actually good enough to play for us.

Why did the medical team pass soutar as fit prior to signing him ? We all knew he was made of glass . Shake my heid at the current lot in charge 1 step forward 1 sideways and 1 backwards

Whoever at Ibrox thought that Souttar would be a good signing must be completely brain dead. His current injury is to his ankle but this guy has had three Achilles Tendon injuries which means that they will be weaker than before.

I have never known anyone with three Achilles injuries. A bonkers signing.

So Souttar played through pain for the last six months of his contract in order to get a new deal.

We fell for it, gave him a wage rise, paid for his operation and now we are stuck with him.

Bravo.

Careful now. Dont forget the "only" thing that's important is his health. The virtue signallers are watching.

uGRZ7tV.gif

Utterly baffling to sign Souter given his injury record and not just deal in Balogun for the 2 years he wanted, someone who knows our setup and who’s never let us down and would have been perfect as 3rd choice behind Goldson and hopefully a fit Davies.

No-one wanted to touch John Brown due to his injuries yet he turned out to be a huge player for us at the time.
Hately had problems as well but we got great service from him too.
Getting Souttar on a free wasn't a huge risk and might still work out long term.
Correct, I’m sure his salary will reflect the risk we took on his injury

Utterly baffling to sign Souter given his injury record and not just deal in Balogun for the 2 years he wanted, someone who knows our setup and who’s never let us down and would have been perfect as 3rd choice behind Goldson and hopefully a fit Davies.
Bang on. His pace, presence in corners in ours and opposing boxes has been something we’ve lacked all season.

Wilson should be getting his joggers for this.

I get there's an element of risk with these type of players and given the fact when he's fit he's not first choice defender for Scotland. Imo that says it all considering the centre halfs who currently get chosen before him.

Recurring issue then that he was suffering from while at Hearts it seems.

Bizarre signing then and even more so now.
Maybe it developed between agreeing his pre-contract and signing.
Either way, letting Balogun and Katic go when you know Souttar, Helander and Davies aren’t going to be available for months is mental.
Davies should have never been signed- completely criminal. We could have easily found another CH for £4million that was ready to hit the ground running.

Well at least we have an update now but ffs. Nobody but us would have signed Souttar under those circumstances. Nobody.

Helander is just a waste of a wage now, out for 6 months and no idea of a timescale? Beam me up Scotty.

Souttar arriving with an injury
Davies injured
Yilmaz a project player
Matundo either unfit or just not adapting

All the above mentioned not played or playing.

I just don't think GVB wants to play a player he's not identified.

Can someone give me a qualified answer here if they can.

Did Gio identify Souttar as a signing or someone else at Ibrox?

Gio doesn't scout players, he coaches them. So I'd imagine it was the recruitment team that recommended we sign him. We'd been linked to Souttar prior to Gio's arrival and before Gerrard had even left, so he was clearly a player we sought to sign irrespective of who the coach was.

Souttar arriving with an injury
Davies injured
Yilmaz a project player
Matundo either unfit or just not adapting

All the above mentioned not played or playing.

I just don't think GVB wants to play a player he's not identified.

Have to agree it all points towards this

Tilman I think was his via Roy Mackaay the rest look like Wilson shit signings

Gio doesn't scout players, he coaches them. So I'd imagine it was the recruitment team that recommended we sign him. We'd been linked to Souttar prior to Gio's arrival and before Gerrard had even left, so he was clearly a player we sought to sign irrespective of who the coach was.

That's how its supposed to work. The DOF is there to ensure we have consistency and sign players that fit our footballing strategy.

I think its unworkable.

He played about 90% of Hearts games last season, before we signed him. After we signed him, he played about 20% of their games. Tough break for us, but injuries happen in football.

Is the correct answer. We signed him on a pre contract and then he got seriously injured. It was our own fault for signing a player who cannot withstand the physical rigours of professional football however, he was not injured when we signed him.

Correct mate. People are making stuff up as they go along. He was fine on appearances until a bad one in 2019/20 saw him out for about 18 months, playing almost the entire season for Hearts last season. The fact that GvB says he brought it from Hearts could just mean it's a re occurrence of the same injury he suffered 2019/20. I hardly think we would have signed him injured and then played him to make it worse.
You don't think we've signed him with an injury?

The manager has literally just said he's out with an issue he brought with them him from his previous club.

He has ruptured both achillies tendons, one twice, 3 month with a hip issue and a season with ankle injuries (Wiki).

He played the first game of the season for us and has been injured since missing 10 plus games.

The evidence would suggest we've signed him with a number of issues.

Back