Should Fashion Sakala be starting?

I genuinely think he's our best option for the problem wide right position

Matondo got a great assist today, but I just feel he holds back to much. Fashion looks right up for it and so direct any time he plays.

His unpredictability is arguably his biggest asset
Deary me

Far from his biggest fan but prefer him to Matondo, on balance.

I'd have Wright ahead of both against better teams.

So you’re potentially dropping a player who got an assist or a player who scored his first in a good while…For a player that didn't do either?

That’ll do Matonda’s and Kent’s confidence wonders if they deliver on a match day and subsequently get dropped.

Got a start and was terrible, should he be trusted with more minutes than the likes of Matondo and Wright? Yes probably he does

Not yet but he has given himself a chance with his commitment on Saturday, we’ve missed the big beaming Fashion Jnr smile.

I do like Sakala, and he did really well when he came on today. But we need to remember that Hearts were dead on their feet and there was a lot of space for him to exploit. I imagine he'd have struggled a bit as well given the way they would have pressed him and closed the space in the first half.

I'd rather see us play 3-5-2 with Tav and Borna providing width and Colak and Morelos up front. Kent/Tillman/Lawrence in the 10 role and you have a really attacking setup that would get goals.
Wow.......too much subbuteo for you I think.

He looked excellent when he came on. He should be in Gios thinking going forward. Statistically, his contribution is undeniable.
The difference between the numbers and what you’re actually seeing?
There‘s no doubt that he looked good when he came on but, lets remember this was against a Hearts side with ten men and at least two down.
He doesn’t play at level often enough for me.

Hes a Left-sided Attacker.

How many times has he played there?

Could do so much more for Rangers but Kent is considered undropppable, even when disinterested, so the likes of Fashion Jr are stuck out of position and struggling to make an impact through no fault of their own.

Matondo got a great assist today, but I just feel he holds back to much. Fashion looks right up for it and so direct any time he plays.

In my opinion his unpredictability is the reason he doesn't start. It causes moves to break down, turnover of possession when we aren't set and players don't make runs because they can't predict what he might do. For me as an individual he adds more but as a team he makes us worse.

He should be getting more minutes imo. He’s direct and he’s a goal threat. I’m sure he had 12 goals and 7 assists last season. That’s a lot of numbers to try and replace if you’re not going to use him and Matondo/Wright ain’t replacing it

He was on 20 minutes and should have added an assist. Put one on a plate for Morelos

He’s definitely an option for domestic games. Especially against weaker sides

I like salaka and think he offers us something a bit different however he was absolutely awful when he started against QOTS and never took his chance to impress that evening. He cant complain about a lack of minutes for that reason imo.

Sakala carries a threat more than most. Always takes it to the opposition defence & will try and get a shot away. Does a lot of tracking back too, if u look back to the 1-1 draw at their midden last season.
He isn’t the finished article by any means, but for me, he starts

Do t think we will ever know what happened with him but it certainly appears GVB was deliberately trying to force him out. He was labelled on FF as being raw and lacking technical ability. Was way over the top and is used against him every game he plays. His work rate and ability was spot on at the weekend.

Your last sentence is the reason Gio doesn’t use him more.

I think he should be seeing more game time.

He’s miles ahead of matondo. People say fashion is raw, matondo makes him look like a cultured veteran. Gio has these massive blind spots and stubbornness when it comes to individual players.

It's a real conundrum right now. I want to see more of Sakala, but against weaker teams and as a sub. His lack of tactical discipline is a limitation against better teams. As much as he has his limitations with his final ball, I'd still pick Scott Wright ahead of Sakala and Matondo (and Sakala before Matondo). He tracks back and still has the pace to attack defenders, win set pieces etc. Matondo's assist buys him time, but he needs to really step up his performances soon. Against the Tims or in Europe, maybe you play Tillman the right of the front three, but I really want him playing in midfield as much as possible rather than out there. I'd also like to see Alfie tried out there.
Tillman was an empty shirt when he played wide right. No way should we repeat that.

He’s miles ahead of matondo. People say fashion is raw, matondo makes him look like a cultured veteran. Gio has these massive blind spots and stubbornness when it comes to individual players.
As did Gerrard.

It's a real conundrum right now. I want to see more of Sakala, but against weaker teams and as a sub. His lack of tactical discipline is a limitation against better teams. As much as he has his limitations with his final ball, I'd still pick Scott Wright ahead of Sakala and Matondo (and Sakala before Matondo). He tracks back and still has the pace to attack defenders, win set pieces etc. Matondo's assist buys him time, but he needs to really step up his performances soon. Against the Tims or in Europe, maybe you play Tillman the right of the front three, but I really want him playing in midfield as much as possible rather than out there. I'd also like to see Alfie tried out there.
Hahahahaha have you watched us at all this season?

I do like Sakala, and he did really well when he came on today. But we need to remember that Hearts were dead on their feet and there was a lot of space for him to exploit. I imagine he'd have struggled a bit as well given the way they would have pressed him and closed the space in the first half.

I'd rather see us play 3-5-2 with Tav and Borna providing width and Colak and Morelos up front. Kent/Tillman/Lawrence in the 10 role and you have a really attacking setup that would get goals.

Wasn't one of Sakala's better games against Hearts away last season when he set up Morelos?

Should be starting ahead of Matondo, he's miles off it.

Yes for me.
He's far from perfect but gives us energy and a genuine goal threat.

I like salaka and think he offers us something a bit different however he was absolutely awful when he started against QOTS and never took his chance to impress that evening. He cant complain about a lack of minutes for that reason imo.

See that doesn't really wash though. Or it seems to only get used for certain players (ie. Sakala).

Majority of our squad have been rank rotten all season.

I agree when people say he's not good enough to be a starter for Rangers but given he's part of a fixed squad with no obvious first pick for the right wing position I think he should be getting a bit more of a chance than he's had.

Ideally I'd like Matondo be given the best chance, we've seen more of what Wright and Sakala offer and there's the possibility/hope that Matondo will at least develop beyond them so hope he'd be given more of a chance to prove himself.

I've nothing against Wright but I don't really understand why he's been ahead of Sakala for 90% of Gio's time. They both offer a similar threat in that they can be very direct when running with the ball (something we sorely lack) but are both lacking a bit technically and final ball and decision making can be very ropey. The thing that goes in Sakala's favour for me is his goal return, Wright probably offers more discipline but he drifts out games far too easily and often has little to no direct impact on a game.

I feel like we're far more likely to look back at a game and point to Sakala making some sort of difference than we are saying the same about Wright.

Absolutely should be getting more game time , he is off the cuff and direct when he plays , things don’t always come off , however he is type of player we lack and unpredictable .

I think Matondo showed enough in flashes to suggest he has a bit more composure to his game, and the pass he received from Lundstram for Tony Goals second is exactly the sort of ball he needs to give him the run on a player. Faced up to the Hearts defender, you knew he was doing him. In the build up for Alfies goal as well he played a part in crafting the goal.

What you see is what you get with Fashion. I'd like to see Matondo get a run.

I don't think Sakala or Matondo are settled enough to give their best right now
They both need a run of a few games to get up to speed & become more consistent

Wright has always been inconsistent- blowing hot & cold - since we got him IMO

Add Tilman into the conundrum & we've still got this selection problem with wide right
- None of them are automatic first pick right now IMO

I can only hope one of them grabs their chance - whenever it comes along - & puts in such a great performance that will make up Gio's mind for him

I certainly agree with the idea he should be getting more game time.

In open matches (I know these are few and far between in Scotland) he is dangerous with his directness and pace.

Back