Morelos/Kent & Ross Wilson.

If neither want to sign an extension then both should be dropped. Terrific players and will be missed but if they are not staying then should be dropped immediately.

This is the crux of the matter.

Why didn't Utd get a fee for Pogba and Lingard? Chelsea got SFA for Rudiger.
Yip. Plenty of other examples. Mane left on a free and Salah could have done so too.

I still think both will stay. Morelos more so than Kent at this stage though.

Nothing we can do if they don’t want to sign deals and want to leave for nothing next summer. If someone came in for them like Southampton did for Aribo they would’ve been away as well.

I am not a Ross Wilson fan at all but it’s as simple as that.

The power isn’t with Rangers or Ross Wilson our or manager it’s with the players.

situation should be pre empted by telling the players we would actively looking for buyers if they don’t extend.
What would that achieve?

You'll drive the price down, potentially make the players unhappy and less likely to re-sign, may set the tone for other players because they see the club is not such a decent work environment, and unless you're also going to the manager with an instruction that he's not to play them they can still sit and wait for a move they like more. If you are going to tell the manager who to pick then it's not just the players who'll be a little peeved.

If neither want to sign an extension then both should be dropped. Terrific players and will be missed but if they are not staying then should be dropped immediately.

Why?

So we can pay our 2 best players £60k a week to sit in the stands rather than perform on the pitch?

They're completely in their right if they don't want to sign an extension.

It would be bananas to sell two first team players in January just to get a million in each. Unless the league was already lost by then, which I’d sincerely hope not.

Problem might be though if one or both sign pre-contracts with other clubs in January and know they are definitely leaving they might down tools.

Ross Wilson has a couple of tricks up his sleave for this eventuality, Belgian Scouts on high alert.

Im not sure either will sign new deals.

Morelos - already had 3 or 4 extensions and is at top of our wage structure. Would he extend on the same terms again?

Kent - has looked disinterested for a while and looks like he could do with a fresh challenge.

The reality is both will have options if they run their contracts down and will be able to command a much better wage than they'll get here.

And yes, I'd sack Wilson regardless. Or recruitment has been piss poor.
I don't think Ryan Kent has looked (or played) like someone disinterested.
He has looked like someone totally stressed with the fact he can't put the ball in the net.
Hopefully he will feel better about the world now

What would that achieve?

You'll drive the price down, potentially make the players unhappy and less likely to re-sign, may set the tone for other players because they see the club is not such a decent work environment, and unless you're also going to the manager with an instruction that he's not to play them they can still sit and wait for a move they like more. If you are going to tell the manager who to pick then it's not just the players who'll be a little peeved.

its also a necessity if you want player trading to work. I’m actually surprised people are defending someone who Is sub standard in the role he fills.

I'm sure the manager and the board of directors would be delighted with that strategy.

2 of our best players and biggest assets not playing in key games that will dictate where we finish in the league and the money we make in Europe?

Rangers have benefitted hugely from freedom of contract players and if we lose 1 or 2 because of it, then there's nothing anyone can do about it.

What you certainly don't do though, is deliberately weaken your team.

Sad thing is if they do re-sign or go for a decent fee in January he'll get no credit.

RW will never get credit no matter what he does.

He was heralded as a god after getting Diallo and Ramsey then a couple months later those same people were calling for him to be sacked for those exact signings.

Almost all Rangers fans wanted Gio in, now you have a part of the fanbase criticising RW for getting him.

Same as this window, people talking about how brilliant a window we had then after a poor start he should be sacked for the terrible transfer window.

People are fickle.

Not every player we sign is gonna get sold. This is part of the model, we've had 2 very good players contributing to the side and its successes for a number of years. During what will probably be the physical peaks of their career. The ideal will be to replace and then sell on at a good fee but if they leave on a free and go to a richer club there are other top players out there who will take notice and perhaps sign when they would otherwise never dream of coming to Scotland
That's the logic applied for guys like Roofe, Lundstrom, Davies, Souttar, Lawerence, etc. No real resale value due to age. And/or injuries.

With guys like Kent and Morelos they are signed with the view of improving them and selling on for profit. Them walking out the door for nothing, is dreadful from a financial aspect. Replacing Morelos and Kent with no money coming in for them is going to be a massive uphill task.

There are quality players out there but it will be hard to replace 2 of our best players with no money coming in. Add in being on the ffp watchlist and no real sellable assets left outside kamara, when other areas of the squad need strengthened and replaced. We really need to win the league this season and get guaranteed champions league money or outside Ross Wilson having the summer of his life, we could regress big time next summer.

Yeah, but that is going to be cancelled out by players leaving for nothing.

Nobody has left for nothing yet.

Maybe, like Goldson, they'll sign new deals, or maybe a couple will leave and we'll sign a couple of new Bosmans.

So far, we've sold players for big money, signed plenty Bosmans and lost nobody of any consequence.

I'd say so far, we've done very well out of the Bosman rule.

Patterson, Aribo and Bassey were sold for upto £48m. Kent and Morelos cost £8m.

Not quite cancelled out.

I don't think we will get anywhere near that amount after everyone gets their cut. You then have to replace Kent and Morelos which will eat into any profits. That is not taking into the count the half-dozen players whose contract all come to an end within the next 18 months who will also need be replaced.

Nobody has left for nothing yet.

Maybe, like Goldson, they'll sign new deals, or maybe a couple will leave and we'll sign a couple of new Bosmans.

So far, we've sold players for big money, signed plenty Bosmans and lost nobody of any consequence.

I'd say so far, we've done very well out of the Bosman rule.
I tend to think he was the exception rather than the rule. I do hope I am wrong though.

its also a necessity if you want player trading to work. I’m actually surprised people are defending someone who Is sub standard in the role he fills.
I haven't defended anyone. I've pointed out the realities of where power lies within modern football.

If I wanted to defend Wilson I'd say that our club which needs to win more than it needs to have a balance sheet excess, would have been stupid to sell off our only two proven top level performers at the front of our formation before we had replacements we trusted. Getting papped out of Europe in July each year whilst Glasgow Hibs celebrated 10.75 in a row would have been more detrimental to our finances than missing out on those transfer fees.

Very simple. Both players should have been sold in the summer if he knew they weren’t going to sign the contracts.

Sold to who?

No one made a bid. Morelos was out injured for pretty much the entire window too so was never going to get a move.

We need someone to make a bid and for the player to want to got to that team. Do you think Kent would want to go to someone like Norwich for an extra £20k per week when he could stay at rangers for another year and play in the Champions League?

Very simple. Both players should have been sold in the summer if he knew they weren’t going to sign the contracts.

Simple, how does he do that? Need a buyer of the right kind that the players would go to, how does he make the players sign for the buyer? How does he get the right deal for us as well?

Do people really think Wilson doesnt try to sell these players or get them to sign on or longer?

Here we go, you and your twenty questions. Fine, let’s let them walk then. Happy?

They are pertinent questions though.

Morelos signed for 1m and will have been here 6 seasons. Regardless of what happens with him he has been outstanding business. I will be disappointed if he leaves for a free but won't grudge him it.

Kent leaving on a free after such a significant outlay would be a kick in the teeth, but without knowing whats happened for us to reach the point of him leaving for free, if it occurs, I'm not going to get in a rage and demand folk get sacked for it

We sign plenty players on a free, we will lose players on a free.lots of players choosing to run down deals to get the bigger wages and signing on fee you get from it.

To sell players you need buyers and it’s been a long time since either player has attracted interest as both have massive flaws in consistency. If either could go on streaks of playing well they would have been down south years ago.

Well so far, we've sold Patterson, Aribo and Bassey for big fees.

I'd say the player trading model is beginning to work very well.
Who’s the next big sale though? Is it a “model” we have? Aribo we didn’t actually make much on at all. I hope you are right but I’m not convinced we have a conveyor belt of young talent who we will be able to sell on for huge sums in a couple of years time.

Bassey and Patterson could well be outliers rather than the norm.

Who was going to buy either during the window? Alfredo especially wasn't even being picked to play for us.

It's easy to sit and say what needs to happen - but for players to be sold you need a buyer. I don't remember anyone coming in for either player this summer? And it would have been a great chance for interested clubs to get them at a reduced fee, given their contract situation.

In the event neither of these players sign new contracts and sit tight until the end of the season we will conservatively be watching 15-20 million of talent walking for nothing. If this comes to pass then surely Ross Wilson should be sacked for gross negligence?

Even if we are forced to sell both in January at vastly reduced fees that would be totally unacceptable. Truth be told it’s unacceptable we find ourselves in this situation at all. If players won’t sign new contracts with 12 months left our model surely makes it a necessity they should be sold.
How can you blame Ross Wilson for any player who does not sign a new contract ? That is up to the players. They have been offered new contracts so should he hold a gun to their heads and make them sign it.

That's the logic applied for guys like Roofe, Lundstrom, Davies, Souttar, Lawerence, etc. No real resale value due to age. And/or injuries.

With guys like Kent and Morelos they are signed with the view of improving them and selling on for profit. Them walking out the door for nothing, is dreadful from a financial aspect. Replacing Morelos and Kent with no money coming in for them is going to be a massive uphill task.

There are quality players out there but it will be hard to replace 2 of our best players with no money coming in. Add in being on the ffp watchlist and no real sellable assets left outside kamara, when other areas of the squad need strengthened and replaced. We really need to win the league this season and get guaranteed champions league money or outside Ross Wilson having the summer of his life, we could regress big time next summer.
You're simply not going to have every transfer be an ideal scenario. We got them to extend when we needed to and we got our club back to it's level because of it. That's the value we got out of them. It will happen again. When players can make more money by leaving on a free then they will do that where possible. There isn't a club on the planet who have 1 transfer policy, asides from maybe Bilbao. There is no way you can say either of those transfers hasn't been good value for our club from the start to end of their contract. If we don't get a sell on fee then it's not the end of the world, it's simply another sort of transfer we might see in the future.

Bumped into Ross Wilson in hospitality section at Tynecastle on Saturday and asked him about above.

He said he’s “relaxed” about the situation and talks are always ongoing.

Hopefully you mentioned to him that's he's in the unique position in that the whole of FF agree he's useless and needs to go and we never agree on anything

In the event neither of these players sign new contracts and sit tight until the end of the season we will conservatively be watching 15-20 million of talent walking for nothing. If this comes to pass then surely Ross Wilson should be sacked for gross negligence?

Even if we are forced to sell both in January at vastly reduced fees that would be totally unacceptable. Truth be told it’s unacceptable we find ourselves in this situation at all. If players won’t sign new contracts with 12 months left our model surely makes it a necessity they should be sold.

The players have the power now, if they want to run their deals down, they will.

Morelos was injured and unfit almost exclusively through the transfer window, he was never going to be sold.

I still think one of the two will leave on a free, the other will extend - just guess work on my part

Whit ? Morelos and Kent are going to be out of contract.

Morelos cost us less than £1.5million, Kent under £7million so less than £8.5million walking out the door, if they go, a big if

Player trading, some you buy to use others you buy as an investment, we have had our monies worth out both Morelos and Kent. No player is irreplaceable. We made more from Joe Aribo than the cost of Morelos and Kent. If they go 2 huge wages freed up.

In the 90s a guy called Bossman went to court over his contract, they brought in a ruling to allow out of contract players to move for free. You can’t force a player out of his contract.

Some of our best servants in recent times have been free,

Jack, Arfield, McGregor, Davis, Balogun, Lundstram

Some of our big signings have been a riot, Dorrans, Pena, Murphy, Grezda to name a few.

What do you want him to do exactly? How does he get them to sign on the dotted line?
How can you blame Ross Wilson for any player who does not sign a new contract ? That is up to the players. They have been offered new contracts so should he hold a gun to their heads and make them sign it.

it also up to him to sell them on the benefits of signing a new contract is it not?

Whit ? Morelos and Kent are going to be out of contract.

Morelos cost us less than £1.5million, Kent under £7million so less than £8.5million walking out the door, if they go, a big if

Player trading, some you buy to use others you buy as an investment, we have had our monies worth out both Morelos and Kent. No player is irreplaceable. We made more from Joe Aribo than the cost of Morelos and Kent. If they go 2 huge wages freed up.

In the 90s a guy called Bossman went to court over his contract, they brought in a ruling to allow out of contract players to move for free.

Some of our best servants in recent times have been free,

Jack, Arfield, McGregor, Davis, Balogun, Lundstram

Some of our big signings have been a riot, Dorrans, Pena, Murphy, Grezda to name a few.

whit? Doesn’t matter what they cost? It’s what you sell them for, that’s how player trading works.

Who’s the next big sale though? Is it a “model” we have? Aribo we didn’t actually make much on at all. I hope you are right but I’m not convinced we have a conveyor belt of young talent who we will be able to sell on for huge sums in a couple of years time.

Who knows who the next big sale will be?

Who's to say Yilmaz doesn't develop into a top full back over the next 18 months or so?

He's young, very highly rated, a full Turkish international and the fact we've got him on a 5 year deal, suggests he's clearly looked on as one for the future.

Adam Devine seems to be following a similar career path to Nathan, so let's see how he develops.

Tillman and Sands are potential loans to buy.
Both are young, but already full internationalists for a far better international team than Scotland.

The players I've mentioned are just examples, but things can evolve very quickly with all young players, depending on their development.

Big sales in Scotland - i.e. over £10M are most likely for young players. I'd say Lowry, King, Ridvan and Tilman (depending on contract/ buy-back clauses) are the most likely players to return a significant investment.

If Rangers really have a player trading model I don't think it's in the first team. Look at the resources we're chucking at youth team recruitment. We're hoping on one or two hits a year who we can sell around age 20 for big numbers whilst the guys just a little later on the curve/ less creative (say Divine/ McCann/ McKinnon in the current crop) are probably the ones we will keep for our own squad, and the third tier - say Weston/ MacAusland/ Ritchie-Hosler/ Fraser will hopefully raise enough in sales to fund the next year's intake of academy players.

Players hold all the cards now, I'd let both go and move on no point having two players not committed to Rangers.
Hopefully get something in the summer but both could have been bought cheaply this window and no one wanted them.

We missed the boat with then when they were both at their peak neither are anywhere near that now and scouts and managers know that.

whit? Doesn’t matter what they cost? It’s what you sell them for, that’s how player trading works.

We are not a used car dealership.

We buy players to win things. To afford that we have to balance the books.

Not all players are bought to make a profit on.

Here have a look at this, it’s your Christmas pick who you want to replace them, all for free.

Perhaps Ross Wilson has offered them the maximum salary offered by the board ?

Perhaps Kent and Alfie have been promised huge signing on bonuses by clubs for next summer ?

What does Ross Wilson do then ? "Make it so" ?

So what would you have done o have avoided the situation? To stop you being sacked?

it also up to him to sell them on the benefits of signing a new contract is it not?

If someone like Kent has his heart set on a move to the EPL, no one is going to be able to convince him staying in the SPFL is a better option.

At the same time, if no one from the EPL makes a bid for him, he's well within his rights to stay until his contract runs out and then try and get a move there on a free.

Players have all the power when it comes to transfers.

Back