Probably the toughest group we've ever had in the CL.?

Yep it is

See if Pedro managed to beat progress all those years ago, we would likely have been pot 3 and then rather than Napoli we could have had somebody like Copenhagen or Plzen for example.

In saying that, we still have a shot at 3rd if we can get a point next 2 matches, as Ajax likely lose both their games, making the final match a shootout for 3rd.

Said in work we wouldn’t get a point. Was hoping for better than what’s happened so far though. Players haven’t been good enough unfortunately.

Quick turnaround of fixtures to the draw been unlucky from travel point of view. Napoli carry on icing on the cake.

It’s definitely one of the hardest we’ve had. Napoli are outstanding this year and they just pumped an Ajax team who’ve looked good this year as well. Liverpool are Liverpool, they have world class players and manager.

I genuinely don't think the support realise what we're up against in this group section.?

Just going after the Manager and the team is daft.
It’s tough but come on, he says we can’t compete? He does not want to try and compete. No press, no aggression, lack of fitness and sharpness. Poor first touch. It’s regression on a sizeable scale.

The group we find ourselves in is as difficult a group we could have been in. When Liverpool are your Pot 2 team, and your Pot 3 team are crushing everyone, you know you’re in deep trouble.
Look at how Pot 1 Ajax swatted us away in Amsterdam and they’ve now gone and shipped 6 goals at home to Pot 3 Napoli, and you realise the quality of opposition we’re up against.
It’s highly likely that we’ll finish the group with no points.
Incidentally, I can’t imagine a Pot 3 team has ever registered a 6-1 win away against a Pot 1 team in the history of the Champions League.
It’s truly remarkable.

Last edited:
Very difficult group.

As someone who doesn’t watch a lot of Italian football I’ve been surprised how good Napoli are.

That's it, blame the group for having hard opposition. We should therefore concede our position in the Champions league.

We can't pass, shoot, control or tackle, thats Rangers fault, no one else. Fuckin embarrassing.

If any of the 3 teams put in a 7/10 performance on the night against us then they win, regardless of what we do.

We’re a Europa league team who has lost 2 of its best players up against established Champions League quality. This outcome might be difficult to watch unfold but it’s hardly surprising at all.

This group is definitely up there with our worst ever performances in Europe if not the worst that’s for sure.

This extends beyond just the results. Look at how the team is set up and is playing. There is no confidence and very little game plan. Gio is fair game on that front.
You didn’t happen to watch Jamie Carragher’s piece on Man City and Haaland at the weekend did you? He summarised perfectly the challenge that our players face when up against Champions League opposition. They are in your mind before you set foot on the pitch. Mo Salah has been one of the world’s best players for the last few years, our players step onto the pitch against him wondering what he could do to them and it makes the game so much tougher.

Carragher spoke of what Henry used to do to him before he even stepped onto the pitch. He was beat. His focus was on not being embarrassed rather than playing his best game. This is the situation a lot of our players will be facing against these teams, particularly away from home. It’s all well and good coming onto a forum saying there is no confidence in the team but it’s a different situation all together being those players taking the pitch against some of the world’s best.

I genuinely don't think the support realise what we're up against in this group section.?

No matter who your opponents are, showing no fight whatsoever is unacceptable.

It took until the final 10 minutes for us to create any chances, by which point we were already 2-0 down.

Why didn’t we show any determination at 0-0?

This team is just going through the motions and the manager is clueless.

People suggesting a slight tactical tweak here and there or a bit more oomph from the players would bridge these chasms!? Unreal,, Jose pep and klopp combined couldn't overcome the gulf in the squads we have compared to the other teams in this group, we punched above last year at a way lower level.

I

It is….but you still need a bit of fight.
They’ve got better players and should beat us, fair enough. But at least a bit of dig in the performance…dont let them stroll about which is pretty much what happened.
Gio’s a nice guy and I wanted him to do well, but I think his far too passive character rubs off on the team.

Spot on we are against three top teams who we are just not good enough to match. Gio may have been poor tactically but the players mostly stuck at it despite being outclassed

Aye it’s defo one of the hardest we’ve had. It’s easy to say aw have a go etc, do people understand the level it takes to have a go against a team like Liverpool? We were never getting any points tonight, you were deluded if you thought otherwise.

Napoli look like one of the best teams in Europe this season as well. Ajax are a level below Napoli and Liverpool but there’s a large gap between us and them.

Not having that, Napoli showed you what you can do if you work and believe. I’d like to see the running stats for that game like Ajax. Dortmund, PSV & RB Leipzig are CL standard teams and we didn’t throw in the towel as soon as we drew them. Pish.

Back