Malik Tillman

Would not be spending anything close to 6 million to sign him on a permanent deal, heart of a mouse and comes across extremely lazy. Don’t usually agree with much that Gio does but he’s done the right thing by binning him early from previous starting 11’s
You don't need to worry about this board spending a large chunk on him.

Wish people would stop staying "he's not a RW" we know that! Effort is effort regardless of position. He rarely tracks back and too easily gives up. He will never make it at this level with his attitude.
So playing on the right of a narrow 3 with their fullback permanently in our half what should he do?

Track the Greek full back and leave us with two attackers against their 4?
Stay up top and watch our immobile midfield two chase shadows?
Lose high balls against their CB as we pumped the ball aimlessly in his direction?
Or try and do a bit of all of the above?

Reactions: WBD
The lad’s a player…..playing him wide right is just bonkers. Although with Gio bonkers is standard issue
Mentioned this in another thread.

Shocking decision by Gio to play Tillman out wide.

Away from home, against a world class team, we should be playing counter attacking football with pace out wide, and players that will work hard off the ball for the team, this is certainly not Tillman and 100% not out wide.

Tillman at this moment in time in his career is better as a central 10, against teams with a low block, where he can use his unpredictability to open defences etc.

Bayern probably seen what we are seeing, a player with obvious talent but something is missing. Think that's why they were happy to loan / sell but demanded a buy back clause just in case, the penny dropped with Tillman.

Am not hopeful it will.

Tbf if my natural position was a CAM and I was getting shunted out wide by a clueless manager then I’d probably not really care either. His loyalty is with Bayern not us

That’s fair, he should play centrally or not at all. But he’s a professional footballer and should care / put in effort wherever he plays.

Would not be spending anything close to 6 million to sign him on a permanent deal, heart of a mouse and comes across extremely lazy. Don’t usually agree with much that Gio does but he’s done the right thing by binning him early from previous starting 11’s
He is not a right winger his position is cm just behind the striker.

That’s fair, he should play centrally or not at all. But he’s a professional footballer and should care / put in effort wherever he plays.

I remember what I was like at 20. Got a lot of growing up to do and easy to take the huff at that age.

Reactions: WBD
Needed subbed much earlier, not a right winger needs to be played inside and then we can judge whether he's good enough or not
You can judge work rate though. Nobody would have criticised him if he'd had a poor game but ran himself into the ground. The lack of effort was disgraceful

'Return to sender' imo.

I remember what I was like at 20. Got a lot of growing up to do and easy to take the huff at that age.

We can’t have or afford anyone “taking the huff” in a champions league match at Anfield. Every player in that squad should have been right up for it.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Tillman is a talent. I just think he is uninterested and not committed to Rangers so should not be handed a starting place in the team. Especially on a night like tonight when the very first thing we need is effort and application.

We can’t have or afford anyone “taking the huff” in a champions league match at Anfield. Every player in that squad should have been right up for it.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Tillman is a talent. I just think he is uninterested and not committed to Rangers so should not be handed a starting place in the team. Especially on a night like tonight when the very first thing we need is effort and application.

Absolutely agree.

It’s the fraud of a manager who continues to play him out of position on the right. It’s mental does he not watch the games and learn?

Sick of the excuses for tilman.. too slow and offerd zero going forward. Walks abt the park when we are under pressure . Brutal!

Tillman is a number 10. We don't play with a 10 in Europe, so he gets shoe horned in to a wider role, something that has happened to many "attacking midfielders" in the past.

There is no excuse though for his application. He got the jersey, that so many players would want. Playing for Rangers at Anfield in the Champions League.

Time for him to show some grit and determination. We all remember Stevie G saying "Joe Aribo shows no ego" when he got shunted to left back and gave us a shift.

Tillman has bags of talent, but its time to stop looking like a typical pampered modern day academy player, and show everyone he can perform week in week out.

Again asking him to play wide in Europe when it clearly doesn’t suit the player is just hanging him out to dry. He’s a no10, he’s shown that in all his performances for us. Playing him out of position, him playing poorly as a result of that, then leads to fans putting pressure on a young midfielder who shouldn’t be hung out to dry in these types of games. With the formation we were playing tonight he should never have played, none of the 4 midfield positions suited him.

The lad’s a player…..playing him wide right is just bonkers. Although with Gio bonkers is standard issue
Yeah, he is a player when he can be arsed, unfortunately, he goes through games where it looks like he was on the bong when the game plan was being discussed. He might end up in a remake of Cheech and Chong's movie.

It is madness playing him in that position, he doesn’t have the pace or the work rate.

I still think he has a lot of ability but needs to be played behind the striker. His attitude is highly questionable though
Out of position or not, it has started to show.

He was played wide right as Gio knew we would be pressed high so he needed an outlet for long balls. He played poor and didn’t challenge enough but I’m surprised so many of you are being naive to that

Who do we play in this position at the moment.
Certainly not him and I've not seen anything in his play to suggest otherwise. He has no command of authority and is far to easily knocked off the ball, to name but 2 things that are essential in such a position.

His head is gone after the scum game. Van Dick cuckolded him early doors and he hid for rest of game. The boy is not for us.

Young player who has been thrown in against Celtic Ajax and Liverpool away. Extremely harsh to be judging after 10 games that includes these 3.

For weeks I’ve thought that Tillman has looked uninterested. I genuinely think he doesn’t want to be with Rangers and thinks he’s better than us. His effort, application and attitude on the pitch screams this out to me. The boy has some talent, no question, but he’s a waste of a jersey and was very much the wrong selection tonight.

He was 1 of a generally poor midfield tonight but for me it’s been evident for some time that he’s just not interested.
Exfuckingactly, he would have been a stand out tonight , if he had been in the other side. He needs others to give him the space to play. He was played out of his comfort position, but a young player trying to improve SHOULD be working a lot harder than Malik did tonight. He might have well been on the end of the UB's flag for all the influence he had in the game...shame really.

Yeah, he is a player when he can be arsed, unfortunately, he goes through games where it looks like he was on the bong when the game plan was being discussed. He might end up in a remake of Cheech and Chong's movie.
Tbh any player constantly played out of position by a manager is going to get pissed off, particularly a young lad. He’s pissed off, like many of us, by a inept manager

Theres nothing redeeming about him.

Lacks hunger, strength and proactively hides from the ball.

He’s not the only one though.

Certainly not him and I've not seen anything in his play to suggest otherwise. He has no command of authority and is far to easily knocked off the ball, to name but 2 things that are essential in such a position.
Who did we play in this position against Hearts it was Arfield who did we play tonight nobody.

Back