Is criticism of everything Rangers just now proportionate !

Grumpy Old Git

Over the last couple of weeks everything related to Rangers has been scrutinised and mainly absolutely battered
Items ranging from the board Ross Wilson My Gers Gio and individually players
Off the top of my head threads attracting condemnation of McLaughlin McGregor Tav Goldson Davies (for being injured) Souttar (same)Helander (same) Roofe (same)Barisic
Feck I could go through the entire squad virtually
Every signing that cost money initially was revered especially Yilmaz and even now want Barisic replaced by him but on what we’ve seen not ready to become an immediate replacement
Colak was a dud and doesn’t contribute
If you look where we are now from not that long ago we’re miles in advance of that
Look at our CL group Liverpool one of the best 2 teams in England for years and recent winners of CL.Napoli top of Seria A and playing incredibly well presently.Ajax regularly qualify from their CL group so always gonna be an uphill task and look at comparative budgets
I think our European experience last year has heightened expectations but it’s only in the last few years we’ve made Europe!
Ok against Liverpool incredibly negative but did Walter Smith not regularly do that in Europe
Domestically we’re 2 points off the top and I agree not playing particularly well and inconsistent
We’re trying to integrate quite a few players into the squad and I feel we’re paying the penalty for a previous couple of years lack of investment (for good reason)

I know my thread is bound to attract many more detractors than supporters but I think occasionally we need to take a step back and the threads are disproportionate but football is not always success success and more success
Always has been and always will be!

Some of it is justified some less so. It's the swings in opinion that get me. As you said - Colak was a dud now he's our best striker. After winning 2 very tough CL qualifiers most on here wanted to pay the £10m for Tillman there and then. Now we want to cut his loan. 2 weeks ago Matondo was getting hounded out the door, now we want him to replace Kent. The same Kent who we thought had found his mojo again on Saturday!
Let's try and be patient, keep winning, domestically at least, and regroup after World Cup.

It feels like we can only operate in extremes. Everything is amazing or amazingly bad.

I actually think the constant exaggeration and hyperbole of players is a bigger issue than constantly slating them: it creates unduly high expectations and demands and fans tend to get on their backs a lot quicker than they would had the original praise been less glowing.

For me, it justs seems to be the way of the modern world.

People need an extreme, rather than just form a normal opinion. Shouting the loudest and getting attention has replaced rational debate and thinking.

I blame Brexit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its off the scale on FollowFollow right now and feels to me like it has been for some time. I noticed the criticism on here starting to turn into bizarre, Twitter-like abuse - and abuse is the right word to use - in the Summer after winning 55. No idea why then, but that's when it started to ramp up. Right now, on here is often intolerable.

For me, it justs seems to be the way of the modern world.

People need an extreme, rather than just form a normal opinion. Shouting the loudest and getting attenion has replaced rational debate and thinking.

I blame Brexit.
Social media pushes controversial opinions that engage more people. People are being accustomed to thinking this is normal discourse.

I think it's been getting worse. God knows what it would have been like in the 70s when we won feckall.

You just know that during a game some posters have already written an anti Gio/castore/player/board/Wilson post and are just waiting to press send. Hell, some even do it during a match!
In the 70s you only heard the opinion of your mates or guys in your RSC or pub but now everyone has a voice on forums and social media so you hear everyone’s thoughts no matter how extreme - and you can also be wound up by mentally challengeds who you would never had heard from in the old days.

The Champions league qualifications, and the way they club have priced it tbh, has cause more harm than good at the moment

Expectation levels for spending have been way off, the comments about competing after the ticket pricing made things worse and then the games coming so close together and us losing them all is getting Gio undue pressure.

Not really been helpful in the short term.

In general football fans are not logical.

Basing your happiness on the performance of 11 people you don’t know doesn’t lend itself to rational thoughts.

Imagine as a fan of another club lower down the football chain looking in at us, 2 points off the top of the league, in the CL and everything is f*cked and the entire board and management team need to go.

It’s wildly disproportionate to reality.

Its quite obvious there is no momentum with the team.
There was folk on wanting Sakala playing after Wednesday.
There are so many non performers or having a good game then 3 bad which effecting the team performances.
We are carrying too many passengers and or average performances.
I dont know if its the players or GVB tactics.

It’s mental to me that after a 4-0 win at Tynecastle to put us top of the league for a brief spell, we see a thread titled “how long should we give Gio?” following a 2-0 away defeat to one of the best teams on the planet (not just England).

People need a reality check.
Theres a bigger picture , not 2 games.
You never mentioned the Dundee Utd game.

Looking at our management, i dont know who motivates the team.
Its pretty lacklustre imo.

I don't rate the manager. I don't rate the recruitment. I don't rate the way the board has taken good will and turned it into bad will.

See how easy that was without having to call people names or suggest financial skullduggery or call people frauds.

Its off the scale on FollowFollow right now and feels to me like it has been for some time. I noticed the criticism on here starting to turn into bizarre, Twitter-like abuse - and abuse is the right word to use - in the Summer after winning 55. No idea why then, but that's when it started to ramp up. Right now, on here is often intolerable.
I have been on here since the early days and over the last while people have been raging about anything and everything the club does on and off the park.after a while it becomes tiresome as they infest every thread.if I want reasoned debate and people not hurling abuse about I go over to heart and hand.
out in the real world I suspect most Rangers supporters don’t care what goes on off the park as long as we are winning on it.if truth be told it was ever thus

We are there to be entertained , the tims took 9 off them.
We huffed and puffed and got the win.
Do you think we will win the league with these sort of performances.
Your settling for mediocrity.
We are there to win. Utd have a new manager following the 9-0 scudding and have won one, drawn one and lost two (including us) since then, with both defeats only by a single goal margin.

Do I think we will win the league? I think we will be challenging right to the end. I actually think we go into the World Cup break top of the table. Do I think we will win the league if we change manager at this stage? Absolutely no chance, we’d be back to square one.

Both sides of the fence can go overboard.

I'm failing to see any areas of the park where we have improved on from last season. Same goes with the manager.

Saturday will be our 17th competitive match of the season and not one player bar Čolak can hold his hand up and say he's performed consistently this season. Our performances have been far from good enough. Some of the managers decision making extremely poor.

The less said about Ross Wilson the better. A man out his depths. Recent interviews with Board of Directors didn't sit well either.

That's my opinion. Some will agree, others won't. That's the life of a football fan and our club is more than just 11 men kicking a ball about a football pitch.

I know plenty people that go to games and most aren't happy with what's been going on this season. There are plenty faces in and around SW4 that are of the same opinion. We drink in The Louden, opinions range from everything with Rangers is rosy to the oppsosite.

It’s mental to me that after a 4-0 win at Tynecastle to put us top of the league for a brief spell, we see a thread titled “how long should we give Gio?” following a 2-0 away defeat to one of the best teams on the planet (not just England).

We need to see it on the park for longer than one game that put us top of the league for a brief spell...

Some of it is justified some less so. It's the swings in opinion that get me. As you said - Colak was a dud now he's our best striker. After winning 2 very tough CL qualifiers most on here wanted to pay the £10m for Tillman there and then. Now we want to cut his loan. 2 weeks ago Matondo was getting hounded out the door, now we want him to replace Kent. The same Kent who we thought had found his mojo again on Saturday!
Let's try and be patient, keep winning, domestically at least, and regroup after World Cup.
Good luck with that one!

In the 70s you only heard the opinion of your mates or guys in your RSC or pub but now everyone has a voice on forums and social media so you hear everyone’s thoughts no matter how extreme - and you can also be wound up by mentally challengeds who you would never had heard from in the old days.
Spot on after a bad result and performance you would rant and rave about it on the bus home and by the next day it was done, your thoughts turned to the next game.now a defeat is dissected for days on end.

Over the last couple of weeks everything related to Rangers has been scrutinised and mainly absolutely battered
Off the top of my head threads attracting condemnation of McLaughlin McGregor Tav Goldson Davies (for being injured) Souttar (same)Helander (same) Roofe (same)Barisic
Every signing that cost money initially was revered especially Yilmaz and even now want Barisic replaced by him but on what we’ve seen not ready to become an immediate replacement
If you look where we are now from not that long ago we’re miles in advance of that
Look at our CL group Liverpool one of the best 2 teams in England for years and recent winners of CL.Napoli top of Seria A and playing incredibly well presently.Ajax regularly qualify from their CL group so always gonna be an uphill task and look at comparative budgets
I think our European experience last year has heightened expectations but it’s only in the last few years we’ve made Europe!
Ok against Liverpool incredibly negative but did Walter Smith not regularly do that in Europe
Domestically we’re 2 points off the top and I agree not playing particularly well and inconsistent
We’re trying to integrate quite a few players into the squad and I feel we’re paying the penalty for a previous couple of years lack of investment (for good reason)

I know my thread is bound to attract many more detractors than supporters but I think occasionally we need to take a step back and the threads are disproportionate but football is not always success success and more success
Agreed mate place is full of sadomasochist freaks.

If you're looking for proportionate you're in the wrong place. :))

Most folk like a moan now and again but some people would do well to remember the words of Bill Struth: 'Never fear, inevitably we shall have our years of failure, and when they arrive, we must reveal tolerance and sanity'.

Not that this is even a season of failure, as things stand.

I'm relaxed more than most about things on the park. That doesn't mean I'm not happy or agree with tactics and signings etc and who is calling the shots as DOF but I can understand why we have gone down certain paths with regards to contracts and recruitment. I don't agree with it but I can understand it and I try not to moan about it on here.

However I'm really pissed off and vocal about a number of things off the park, such as customer service, ticketing, buying merch and in general being treated with contempt by the club. There is a significant lack of professionalism or lack of standards in nearly every interaction I have with the club at the moment.

The saddest thing about this thread mate is that you close it recognising that more will batter you for optimism than join you in seeing some embers of hope. Some of the bampoterry on here in the last few weeks has been like nothing I have witnessed. When we beat Hearts on Saturday, the place was dead, save for a few of us. We even had one poster the day before claiming that he would rather we lose to Hearts so that we will be closer to the manager leaving. I mean how dense is that?

They seem to get zero joy out of it.
We are there to be entertained , the tims took 9 off them.
We huffed and puffed and got the win.
Do you think we will win the league with these sort of performances.
Your settling for mediocrity.
Celtic got humped off St. Mirren and struggled to a 2-1 win over Motherwell recently at home. Whether we lose to Celtic or St. Mirren is largely irrelevant in terms of points on the board. Most teams after being shafted 9-0 tend to get it together and try their damndest to avoid it happening again. People like you picking and choosing these things seems part of the problem.

We are there to win. Utd have a new manager following the 9-0 scudding and have won one, drawn one and lost two (including us) since then, with both defeats only by a single goal margin.

Do I think we will win the league? I think we will be challenging right to the end. I actually think we go into the World Cup break top of the table. Do I think we will win the league if we change manager at this stage? Absolutely no chance, we’d be back to square one.
Fair shout , i would give GVB to the end of the season and review as we should with all employees.
Its was a mistake giving an out of work manager a 3.5 year contract.
18 months to me then review.

A lot of supporters are probably like me,I really don’t care who the manager is for me it’s how we play that upsets the fan base,I want to see my team playing like most of the other teams on the planet ie attacking energetic with pace,I don’t care who the manager is but that’s what most fans want to see,now if the board had done any ground work on gvb they would know his style is the opposite of what most fans want to see,I’ve nothing against Gio or even the board but this is what it is and suggesting we just sit and say nothing on it is very disrespectful to any fan.

3 points is 3 points. Plenty championship winning Rangers sides have went through seasons playing dire football against sides like Dundee Utd.
Not saying that hasn't happened but the entertainment value we are getting for our ST is very poor . The pricing of European tickets has been shocking it just feels as if it's take take from the fans at every turn.

The saddest thing about this thread mate is that you close it recognising that more will batter you for optimism than join you in seeing some embers of hope. Some of the bampoterry on here in the last few weeks has been like nothing I have witnessed. When we beat Hearts on Saturday, the place was dead, save for a few of us. We even had one poster the day before claiming that he would rather we lose to Hearts so that we will be closer to the manager leaving. I mean how dense is that?
It's crazy. The happiest I see posters is when the bheasts lose. Grim stuff.

Someone made a dig at me about hardly ever posting about football (usually I’m in the match thread and that’s it) I love Rangers, but some are only happy when sitting picking them apart and if you don’t you’re a happy clapper or from the other end of town.

There's so many facets to the conversation about how we have gone from 55 to here. Most people will just focus on whatever backs up their point and preference.

For many right now it's that they want the manager sacked so they see everything through that lens. The other night was all down to him etc. I would accept losing if we had a go etc. It's pretty much not true, a 6-0 mauling would not be accepted if we were too open but people tell themselves that.

Controversial maybe but I think the CL games are now just a hindrance. We're trying to build some momentum and confidence and the players are then having to run their bollocks off just to keep the score respectable. All of a sudden a 4-0 away win at Tynecastle is forgotten and the negativety prominent among the fans, which isn't all unjustified, just comes back to the fore.

People are giving criticism to different aspects of the set up yes. My Gers, individual players and performances and the manager have aspects that are worthy of criticism.

Of course, people go to extremes so throw the toys out of the pram and ANY criticism all the time on here.

Fully behind this point we can all agree that we punched above our weight in the last few seasons in Europe and inevitably the emotional impact of the descent is going to create feelings. By the same token I think the vast majority of our support get this and we have to simply separate our domestic and European challenges.

I was off FF for a long time due to a ban and just never got round to creating a new Account. 1 thing I would say though, and I've been guilty of it over the last 48 hours or so, is getting into daft arguments as if they mean something and treating this site like it reflects the actual support. In reality it doesn't, not even in the slightest.

In the months I was off FF the only time I ever seen anything in relation to what's written on here was when a screengrab of some mental comment would be put on Twitter or the likes to be laughed at due to how mental it was.

FF though, like social media, is just awash with people who are permanently raging and they need people to know how raging they are constantly.

I am normally one of the first out of the blocks to post something like this.
To be fair I actually understand the negativity this time, don't agree with it but understand it.
I think its borne out of frustration as much as anything. We actually know that this team can play better than it is doing at the moment. We know Tav isn't on fire, we know Goldson doesn't look right with Sands as a partner, we know Kent is lacking confidence and Morelos just isn't back yet.
Add to that the self inflicted nonsense of playing Tillman out wide and the injuries to key players and its no wonder all is not rosy.
The truth is we have a group of very good players who have (bar PSV) yet to play to potential.
Despite that we are only 2 points off the top chasing an overhyped Celtc side who are bottom of a CL group I believe we would have qualified from.
Being honest, assuming we were playing well I would still have seen betting on us to lose all six group games as a reasonable bet,( having said that we have probably given Napoli a harder game than Ajax or Liverpool did whilst still not being at our best).
If we had our time again not many of us would argue with the signings of Tillman, Lawrence, Matondo, Yilmaz, Colak or Davies.
That group added to Kamara, Morelos, Tav, Goldson, Barisic, Kent alongside the emerging King, Lowry, McCann with Helander, Roofe and Hagi back from injury and a supporting cast of Arfield, Davis, Wright Sakala et al is a lot of potential.
I have being saying we need to strengthen at Keeper, but I felt foolish in that view on Wednesday night.
Really think we should just get behind Gio and the team, we will get better.
(Unless anyone thinks we are going to attract one of the Super Manager breed out there)

Back