Can the goalkeeper run at the player taking a penalty?

Probably a mental question I know. Would they even be allowed to do that? Or do they have to stay on their line even after the whistle has been blown to take it?

I've certainly never heard of it happening so I suppose that really answers my question :))

As long as he stays on his line!

Remember in the Zaire v Scotland game in the World Cup we got a direct free kick. They lined up a wall and as soon as the whistle was blown a Zaire player sprinted from the wall and smashed the ball out the park.
Mwepu claimed that he was quite aware of the rules – as would be expected from an experienced player in a successful side – and was hoping that the referee would send him off. The intended red card would have been a protest against his country's authorities, who were alleged to be depriving the players of their rightful earnings.

Probably a mental question I know. Would they even be allowed to do that? Or do they have to stay on their line even after the whistle has been blown to take it?

I've certainly never heard of it happening so I suppose that really answers my question :))
You are at it.

Mental Ray?

Is that you?

Mwepu claimed that he was quite aware of the rules – as would be expected from an experienced player in a successful side – and was hoping that the referee would send him off. The intended red card would have been a protest against his country's authorities, who were alleged to be depriving the players of their rightful earnings.
Never knew that, weird protest that.

Were you in the Zaire wall in 1974 by any chance?

Edit - beaten to it.

Back