Rangers being sued for £9.5m by Elite Sports (Hummel brand partner in UK)

Exactly.

The full lot need chased.
This forum has been successful for many years, as like the fanzines beforehand from the late 80’s, as it gave us fans a platform away from what the club’s ‘party line’ was.

We spoke and read about difficulties with the team, decisions made from Murray etc where the Rangers News and even MSM wouldn’t talk about.

And it probably made some people pretty wealthy too along the way but now it’s went full circle.
Poacher come game keeper.

You can’t be sceptical of the board or certain individuals now, that’s fan media for you.

This forum has been successful for many years, as like the fanzines beforehand from the late 80’s, as it gave us fans a platform away from what the club’s ‘party line’ was.

We spoke and read about difficulties with the team, decisions made from Murray etc where the Rangers News and even MSM wouldn’t talk about.

And it probably made some people pretty wealthy too along the way but now it’s went full circle.
Poacher come game keeper.

You can’t be sceptical of the board or certain individuals now, that’s fan media for you.
Folk that believe anything they are told simply because it came from someone with a club blazer on are part of our problem.

And there are many.

We heard all this bravado in the early knockings of the SD legal case. It appears our legal people are as incompetent as our Board.
Agreed legacy / I’m less concerned by far on this occasion. Disclosure means transparency, breach has not been confirmed by any means.

It does indicate a case to answer, I agree, but the 9.5M seems unlikely given apples for oranges comparison status of the orgs in question.

Ah well it looks like the £3m owed to us by Elite isn’t going to materialise.

How the f*ck do we manage it? Has the £8m now been paid to SD since it looks like it was still owed as at 30th June?

Without new investment how the hell are we going to provide the New Manager with the necessary funds for rebuilding the squad?

I can see Beale being appointed (if he accepts) and at least some of the old guard being given contract extensions.

It seems that this shite is never ending.

Some of you in this thread are acting like total blouses.

No judgment had been passed.
You're correct but past legal cases against us doesn't give me confidence in winning this one.
The claimed sum is debatable though.
How can they give a figure when they don't have the full profit numbers to guide them.

This is another absolute cluster even if we end up paying nothing out.

Of all the money invested at least half off it has been pissed up against a wall by the board since they got control.

10s of millions for court cases and payouts then money wasted on bad management decisions and players.

Absolute shambles, No wonder we are going for Beale as he will happily accept very little transfer money as we don’t have much for wasting it on shit like this.

Just for clarity here, there’s waaaaay to much being read in to this at an early stage.

It reads to me like a busted flush trying to shoot the moon, using 2 shit card analogies.

They are hoping for a settlement that keeps things afloat. These things cost too much in legal fees (as we know) for an org in that financial position to bear.

Won’t result in much. It’s freefall for the press to latch on to at present. Any story is attacked with vehemence.

9.5m is a nonsense.

It may still cost 1-2 including legal fees but even then it’s a number that is max cap being touted by fearmongerers.

Will it even get that far?

The galling element may well be 500k legal with no case to answer and no retrospective capacity to recoup.

Is my reading of it.
We would obviously all love this to be the case but unfortunately this is Rangers we're talking about Rangers here. :(

Honestly to fvck. Are the board complete amateurs? It's one thing after the other for years
So is that it? Case closed. Guilty m'lud. Here's the £9.5m. Can we at least wait and see if we're in the wrong and if so to what extent, before we start another pile on to the board?

We need a take over asap. Our financial side is better than it as been in years but all the profits are going on court fees etc.

Cba with it all

You're correct but past legal cases against us doesn't give me confidence in winning this one.
The claimed sum is debatable though.
How can they give a figure when they don't have the full profit numbers to guide them.

They will be working off the projections that were in place when we worked together.

All retail agreements like this need to have these in place to plan stock, manufacturing labour etc.

I just don't see how we can be on the hook to them after we ended the deal with them. Especially not after Bisgrove said this in May 2020

James Bisgrove, Director of Commercial and Marketing said: “The club is incredibly excited to introduce its new kit & retail partner to Rangers supporters world-wide imminently. This represents a clean slate and marks the start of a new era in the club’s commercial retail operations. The partnership will be a significant step forward in Rangers’ recent history.”

Bisgrove track record is getting worse. Sportemongo and now this. He has to be in line for his jotters.
Yes let’s sack Bisgrove who has brought in megabucks including the most profitable strip deal in the country.

To think all the kits I have bought my son and all the tops I have bought myself and the club are barely making anything out of it is making me sick to the stomach. A fucking disgrace.
totally agree mate not just tops, training gear jackets ect

this needs raised at the agm and explanations with the process who signed it of and is its the same lawers, if you didnt know any better you would think its harper mccloud

the money we lose with court cases is criminal and the end up is us fans are suffering with the team on the park

totally agree mate not just tops, training gear jackets ect

this needs raised at the agm and explanations with the process who signed it of and is its the same lawers, if you didnt know any better you would think its harper mccloud

the money we lose with court cases is criminal and the end up is us fans are suffering with the team on the park
What's worse is they price fixed the kit and are now paying themselves back. At this rate we will have funded 20 million plus in settlements if you add lawyer fees.

It's astonishing that Rangers are involved in so many court cases, almost all to do with retail. Are the club's lawyers inexperienced in that sector or something?

Whoever is responsible for this should be made to pay the litigation if we lose.
It's amateur hour again.
What an absolute shitshow.

Here’s my objective view on this case - I’m not a lawyer but have plenty of experience of clients going through legal disputes and the correlation between final outcome and figures banded about during the cases.

it seems to me to be blindingly obvious there was a breach - Elite had a contract for X years and they were not to know that we were not fully clear to enter into it (ie only became clear after the SD position was concluded). We were forced through no fault of Elite’s to terminate it early after the SD ruling. I don’t see how we don’t lose this case and the question is about the size of the award.

at this stage of a case like this, the £9.5m will be exaggerated and just tactical to help influence the judge and get the info they need to Make a properly calculated claim. It will Be well South of the £9.5m from experience.

Elite all the while have withheld £3m from us (citing breach of contract which is what this case is based on) so that is intrinsically linked and will be offset against any award made to Elite without much fuss. The real cash impact to us of any award made to Elite can therefore be reduced by £3m right off The bat.

We also have a provision for other legal disputes of £1.25m already in the accounts and I would be shocked if this wasn’t in respect of the Elite legal dispute so ultimately we likely have already accounted for a £4.25m - ie if final award is £4.25m then it doesn’t really have any additional impact on us as we already factored it in.

Overall I can’t get too excited about this despite the £9.5m headline grabbing figure.

My Slight concern is re our KC’s flimsy argument about comparing apples and oranges - that would be fair if they were wanting full profitability details or strip sales for the whole of Castore, however, assuming they simply want kit sale figures for rangers strips from the relevant rangers shops then the figures requested go to the heart of the calculation of what Elite may have lost out on From early termination. I say concern as our reluctance to share this info might indicate we don’t want them to see it (strip sales in the last few years likely through the roof) and might lead to a slightly higher outcome than the £4.25m already factored in.

To everyone clinging to the ‘no judgement has been passed yet’ mantra, as I’ve said above the outcome doesn’t sound like it is in doubt from an objective assessment of the publicly available info on this case, just the amount.

All in all Much ado about something is my prediction that won’t move the needle for us financially and at least we can expect this to be the last in the frustrating episodes to the whole kit supplier debacle we’re all well aware of over the last few years.

Attack me at will ;-)

I don’t think that’s entirely true The Hummel/ Elite deal had to be framed in a way to try to get us out of the Sports Direct deal

So when this current board signed/framed the elite deal entirely of their own doing and agreement, was that before or after this very board paid Ashley circa £4m to fück off. Yet the same board are still making payments to SD 8yrs after their control of the club commenced.

So when this current board signed/framed the elite deal entirely of their own doing and agreement, was that before or after this very board paid Ashley circa £4m to fück off. Yet the same board are still making payments to SD 8yrs after their control of the club commenced.
It was King who was chairman when the £4m was paid to Ashley

So is that it? Case closed. Guilty m'lud. Here's the £9.5m. Can we at least wait and see if we're in the wrong and if so to what extent, before we start another pile on to the board?
I think we also need to know what board are involved.
Would Elite/Hummel not precede the current board?
Even be under King’s chairmanship?

That doesn’t discharge the board or Robertson though, does it?

Robertson will be running point on day to day operations.

He would have had point on this, then board sign off.
Haven’t you noticed? Just blame King for all this sort of stuff. No one else opened their mouth during those days apparently.

Here’s my objective view on this case - I’m not a lawyer but have plenty of experience of clients going through legal disputes and the correlation between final outcome and figures banded about during the cases.

it seems to me to be blindingly obvious there was a breach - Elite had a contract for X years and they were not to know that we were not fully clear to enter into it (ie only became clear after the SD position was concluded). We were forced through no fault of Elite’s to terminate it early after the SD ruling. I don’t see how we don’t lose this case and the question is about the size of the award.

at this stage of a case like this, the £9.5m will be exaggerated and just tactical to help influence the judge and get the info they need to Make a properly calculated claim. It will Be well South of the £9.5m from experience.

Elite all the while have withheld £3m from us (citing breach of contract which is what this case is based on) so that is intrinsically linked and will be offset against any award made to Elite without much fuss. The real cash impact to us of any award made to Elite can therefore be reduced by £3m right off The bat.

We also have a provision for other legal disputes of £1.25m already in the accounts and I would be shocked if this wasn’t in respect of the Elite legal dispute so ultimately we likely have already accounted for a £4.25m - ie if final award is £4.25m then it doesn’t really have any additional impact on us as we already factored it in.

Overall I can’t get too excited about this despite the £9.5m headline grabbing figure.

My Slight concern is re our KC’s flimsy argument about comparing apples and oranges - that would be fair if they were wanting full profitability details or strip sales for the whole of Castore, however, assuming they simply want kit sale figures for rangers strips from the relevant rangers shops then the figures requested go to the heart of the calculation of what Elite may have lost out on From early termination. I say concern as our reluctance to share this info might indicate we don’t want them to see it (strip sales in the last few years likely through the roof) and might lead to a slightly higher outcome than the £4.25m already factored in.

To everyone clinging to the ‘no judgement has been passed yet’ mantra, as I’ve said above the outcome doesn’t sound like it is in doubt from an objective assessment of the publicly available info on this case, just the amount.

All in all Much ado about something is my prediction that won’t move the needle for us financially and at least we can expect this to be the last in the frustrating episodes to the whole kit supplier debacle we’re all well aware of over the last few years.

Attack me at will ;-)
One question here.
Can they base a claim on sales of the product?
Would cost of sales not influence this?
For example, Castore seem to spend a bit more on advertising than Elite / Hummel did.
Also, their investment in product development, stores and online seems to far outstrip anything done before.
All this would inflate the sales figure.
Actually, any loss to the manufacturer here is lost profit, not sales.
£9m plus in sales is not £9m in profit.

Back