Beale: “When we left we were four points ahead. There’s no way we’d have let them come past us. “

I guess it boils down to whether you think we’d have won the league with a four point lead had the status quo remained.

What I am sure of is we wouldn’t have taken a tanking there like we did in Jan under them. And then it happened again Sept - let’s be honest Gio should have been sacked that night after it happening again.

We played that game with our 3rd choice GK and 3rd choice right back and most of our coaching staff unavailable.

Gerrard's Rangers teams won games against Rodgers, Lennon, Kennedy and Fat Ange. The strange thing in trying to discredit wins over Lennon is that Walter lost more than a few Old Firm games against him.
It's not discrediting them. It's just that we would be playing against a completely different team of players and a different manager.

I don't think you could say we would get 7 points out of 9 or 9 out of 9 against them based on 1 game at home which could have went either way when they were still gelling.

We won 1 and lost 2 against them under Rodgers.
Difference is mate that was the first season for Gerrard and we were expecting to get pumped 4 and 5 0.

We competed with them in all games except the first one where Gerrard set us up defensively and it was after 9 men in ufa

I've posted gerrards results against them before and after the first season, it was completely in our control

What a completely irrelevant point to what he was actually talking about
Not really. It shows he was part of a coaching team that couldn't keep a title challenge past Christmas yet they wouldn't have let a 4 point lead slip? Bollocks

I guess it boils down to whether you think we’d have won the league with a four point lead has the status quo remained.

What I am sure of is we wouldn’t have taken a tanking there like we did in Jan under them. And then it happened again Sept - let’s be honest Gio should have been sacked that night after it happening again.

You forget the part where he thrusts in an inexperienced flair player (Diallo/Tillman) to the ocassion with basically no instructions. Maybe Lowry would have been his choice this time around.

Under Gerrard and Beale we finished with a 7 game unbeaten streak against them which is well documented, and the one before that streak that we did lose was the league cup final which we were probably more dominant than all of those games we did win or draw.

But also if you take the games we did lose, I'm not sure if we did lose by more than a 1 goal margin ?

Yet Gio comes in and we lose by 3 and 4 going on 6 or 7 on more than one occasion.

That's no coincidence.

Given the fact that they hardly drop any points, the OF games are absolutely VITAL.

So just getting a manager in that can get us competing again in this fixture is huge.

delusional? We hadn't lost to them in 2 years and had some of the most one sided old firms ever in the run. They couldn't get near us

Even under ange we had mccrorie in goals and balogun at rb, with fucking roofe starting and Gary mac in the dugout and we still beat them.
Beale had that fat kunt's number,folks may or may not want MB as manager, but that does not change that fact, I wanted Knutsen, but I fully support MB if it is him, also A MB team is going to be different to a Gerrard team, in personel/style of play etc

We'll never know. One thing is for sure, it's a different celtic side now and they'll provide him with a much tougher test. I'd fancy Beale to get the better of the fat man tactically but he'll need to reverse the fear factor that many of our players have against them now.

delusional? We hadn't lost to them in 2 years and had some of the most one sided old firms ever in the run. They couldn't get near us

Even under ange we had mccrorie in goals and balogun at rb, with fucking roofe starting and Gary mac in the dugout and we still beat them.
When they had Lennon/big nose as manager and they had collapsed by October. They've clearly upgraded since then. And yes we did get the better of then in the first meeting when their new squad was still gelling but there was another 3 in the league to come and we were fcking dreadful.

As mentioned above, it was their first game against us as a new squad. We got the better of them that day but I remember us being pretty poor and they missed at least 2 chances they should have scored.

Difference is mate that was the first season for Gerrard and we were expecting to get pumped 4 and 5 0.

We competed with them in all games except the first one where Gerrard set us up defensively and it was after 9 men in ufa

I've posted gerrards results against them before and after the first season, it was completely in our control
I agree. It was a great improvement but I don't think you can say we had a hold on them when they won 2 to our 1 and won the league by a fair margin.

Under Gerrard and Beale we finished with a 7 game unbeaten streak against them which is well documented, and the one that we did lose was the league cup final which we were probably more dominant than all of those games we did win or draw.

But also if you take the games we did lose, I'm not sure if we did lose by more than a 1 goal margin ?

Yet Gio comes in and we lose by 3 and 4 going on 6 or 7 on more than one occasion.

That's no coincidence.

Given the fact that they hardly drop any points, the OF games are absolutely VITAL.

So just getting a manager in that can get us competing again in this fixture is huge.
And the league Cup final loss was down to a 3 player offside goal

Technically we did lose it but we battered them so hard that it genuinely didn't even feel like a loss. We got absolutely cheated in that game and noone can deny that, not even them

I’m not too sure on that one in all honesty. We were absolutely dreadful last season from start to end.

Dropping silly points at home to sheep, m’well and hearts

When he left the team were playing absolutely rank. In fact straight after the title was won we were rotten right up till him and SG left.

Hagi, Tav, Aribo instantly spring to mind as not being able to hit their own arse at the time. Malmo performances were brutal.

It's a bit of a feelgood soundbite from him TBH.
This is all true. We'll give SG and MB a free hit in season 1, given the absolute shitshow he inherited. Season 2 saw a post winter break collapse, much worse than any downturn under GvB last season. Season 3 was utterly glorious in the league, but a fantastic opportunity to win both cups - and so therefore a treble - was needlessly squandered. The start to season 4 was poor, going out of CL qualifying with a whimper and a very ordinary start to the league campaign. SG and MB improved us greatly from a very low starting position, won us the unforgettable #55 and restored our pride in Europe. But there were also some decidedly dodgy periods, sometimes extended periods. Had season 2 been allowed to finish and had things continued as they were going until the season end - bearing in mind we'd still to play that lot twice - there would have been calls for SG and MB to be removed. There were already murmurings of discontent when the season was called. There has been a fair bit of revisionism regarding their tenure.

Why are we not inviting applications and interviewing for the job? Time cannot be a reason for not taking applications and interviewing as we have the World Cup break on.

And I mean real forensic, in-depth interviewing and research including a panel and not the type of situation that got us Pedro Caxinha!

That stood out.

You just would never here Gio coming out with anything like that. It may mean nothing in he grand scheme of things but Beale gets us and gets the fans without a doubt.
He also says glasgow has 2 wonderful clubs 5 minutes later.

For context.

When they had Lennon/big nose as manager and they had collapsed by October. They've clearly upgraded since then. And yes we did get the better of then in the first meeting when their new squad was still gelling but there was another 3 in the league to come and we were fcking dreadful.

As mentioned above, it was their first game against us as a new squad. We got the better of them that day but I remember us being pretty poor and they missed at least 2 chances they should have scored.
Edouard missed from about 5 yards out, McCrorie made two great saves off kyogo I think it was also

Wasn’t our points-per-game record pretty much identical between Gerrard and Gio in the league last season?

I hope it works out, but Ally and John Greg loved the club and “got it” - didn’t make them legends as managers though
Neither had the coaching background of Beale.

Obviously management is a whole different concern.

He certainly gets it. 2019 festive period old firm (katic winner) he called Clancy a cheating lady's front bottom near the end, and subsequently got a ban.

Moan moan moan
Not moaning at all. Just agreeing with the poster who rightly pointed out history has proved that just because someone 'gets it' and 'loves our club', it doesn't necessarily make them a great manager. If it's to be Beale I'm not going to pretend I'll be dancing with joy, but like every other Rangers supporter I'll get right behind him and hope he goes on to be a legendary manager.

It's a real shame we beat Celtic 1-0, we should have lost to them 4-0 instead
Did it matter as we had already dropped three points to Dundee Utd we did pick up three points against best chances fc, but two games later we dropped points to Motherwell at home then one game later again we dropped more points to Hearts at home then after another game we dropped more points to Aberdeen also at home?

And the football was horrible to watch.

I'll say what I've said a few threads here:

We wouldn't have lost the league under Gerrard and Beale last year.

Yes they went on a great run but partly because Gio allowed them to by not only losing to them but getting absolutely pumped and giving them huge amounts of confidence. That wouldn't have happened under Gerrard.

We wouldn't have got Seville and maybe not a cup but the league would have been ours IMO, never a doubt about that.
Had it not been for hopeless draws against Motherwell and Hearts at Ibrox plus a drab defeat at Tannadice we would have been eleven points clear. GVB added two points to that lead so should have been 13 clear. Both management teams contributed to us losing the league. Now Beale will have the chance to put his money where his mouth is. Hope he's good for it.

Had it not been for hopeless draws against Motherwell and Hearts at Ibrox plus a drab defeat at Tannadice we would have been eleven points clear. GVB added two points to that lead so should have been 13 clear. Both management teams contributed to us losing the league. Now Beale will have the chance to put his money where his mouth is. Hope he's good for it.
This is it if Beales the man we all want him to succeed, unlike some complete morons in our support who all wanted Gio to fail.

Did it matter as we had already dropped three points to Dundee Utd we did pick up three points against best chances fc, but two games later we dropped points to Motherwell at home then one game later again we dropped more points to Hearts at home then after another game we dropped more points to Aberdeen also at home?

Did beating Celtic at Ibrox matter?

It is generally quite important yes, we would have had more points than Celtic last year had Gio managed to do it

Yes they went on a great run but partly because Gio allowed them to by not only losing to them but getting absolutely pumped and giving them huge amounts of confidence. That wouldn't have happened under Gerrard.

We wouldn't have got Seville and maybe not a cup but the league would have been ours IMO, never a doubt about that.

Have to say, I agree.

We played that game with our 3rd choice GK and 3rd choice right back and most of our coaching staff unavailable.

Gerrard's Rangers teams won games against Rodgers, Lennon, Kennedy and Fat Ange. The strange thing in trying to discredit wins over Lennon is that Walter lost more than a few Old Firm games against him.
Walter never lost a league title to Lennon though, and would never have lost one by a landslide. We tended to do well in OF games under SG, the issue was TLB seemed to be more adept at getting the required wins against the rest of the sides in the league. He even switched up his system at one point which lead to discussion at the time that SG was too rigid and not flexible enough by comparison. Though I’m sure that’s probably been forgotten by now!

They never hit form until after that game though. Considering we were only 4 points in front after their perceived “terrible” start, and given the points we’d already spilled and the form they eventually hit together with our penchant for falling away under that management team, it’s pie in the sky to assure people we’d have just wrapped that league title up. In fact if anything the history of that side under SG/GM would suggest that as long as they stayed within touching distance until Christmas, we’d eventually shit the bed and give them the chance to pull away.

My concern is our squad is rotten just now, in major need of investment.

We’ve just paid off GvB and co

We’ve a major court case looming with the Elite/Hummel news.

I don’t trust Ross Wilson to find players.

Let’s be honest before Gerrard left we were poor, Gio had two must win games to keep us in the Europa. That was partly Beale too possibly even all Beale as he was the tactician.

Do we really have the money to improve the squad and give him the money for the back room team he needs? You only get one shot in most occasions of being the manager, I like Beale and think he’s got a great chance of being one of the best. It’s a big big ask for an inexperienced manager who doesn’t have the same appeal as Gerrard when attracting players.

Did it matter as we had already dropped three points to Dundee Utd we did pick up three points against best chances fc but two games later we dropped points to Motherwell at home then one game later again we dropped more points to Hearts at home?

No objection to saying we looked off. We had the covid period and even in those off games we drew them due to Allan throwing in howlers.

Every team looks off at points. You dont play well every game.

What is undeniable is that Rangers team at least knew what it was meant to be doing, even if it wasnt going for them.

That will return. We have good players with absolutely nothing to them for structure or fitness right now.

We absolutely should have been over the hill and far away by the time they left - we were still four points ahead though. However fast forward just over two months (with a break) and we were behind in the league as the guy who replaced them wasn’t up to the job.

Did beating Celtic matter?

It is generally quite important yes, we would have had more points than Celtic last year had Gio managed to do it
It did not matter maybe as a boast but overall it meant nothing as we had already dropped points against Dundee Urd and then shipped another six points at home.
Gerrard looked lost and the team was struggling.

Interesting that you said that we wouldn’t have got to Seville. Based on what may I ask my friend?

We absolutely should have been over the hill and far away by the time they left - we were still four points ahead though. However fast forward just over two months (with a break) and we were behind in the league as the guy who replaced them wasn’t up to the job.
If Gerrard hadn't dropped so many points losing to Dundee Utd and three draws at home we would have been far away.

But they improved and we blew it.

Latest posts

Back