Did McCloy do what the Portugal goalie done today?

Kentbear

Im sure we lost a goal in Europe with McCloy rolling the ball in front of him not realising a player was behind him, did that happen or did i dream it?

McCloy seems like a hapless character going by the memories of him. Genuinely interested to know of that is accurate or not as he was in some great teams.

Im sure we lost a goal in Europe with McCloy rolling the ball in front of him not realising a player was behind him, did that happen or did i dream it?
Can’t recall that but McCloy was swinging on the bar when a ball dropped in behind him!

McCloy seems like a hapless character going by the memories of him. Genuinely interested to know of that is accurate or not as he was in some great teams.
Let's put it this way, Jimmy Johnstone scored with a header against him in a one on one.

Did he have great games for Rangers? Of course he did. You can't play the amount of game he did without that being the case. But he always had a fc_uk up simmering just under the surface.

Not at all hapless.

Never a Goram, Woods or McGregor but a very reliable keeper.

As he got older he did make a few uncharacteristic blunders but overall he was more than decent for us.

Let's put it this way, Jimmy Johnstone scored with a header against him in a one on one.

Did he have great games for Rangers? Of course he did. You can't play the amount of game he did without that being the case. But he always had a fc_uk up simmering just under the surface.
Interesting. To be honest, Rangers goalkeepers shouldn't be judged on having some great games but instead what their ratio to great, normal and bad games is. And in big games.

For that reason, Andy Goram is one of our best ever players imo.

I recall Rumenigge smashing one from outside the box (inter Milan at Ibrox Nov 84 - my first game) and big Peter waving at the ball on his way to collect it for a bye kick when it dipped and crashed off the crossbar.

Interesting. To be honest, Rangers goalkeepers shouldn't be judged on having some great games but instead what their ratio to great, normal and bad games is. And in big games.

For that reason, Andy Goram is one of our best ever players imo.
I was 25 when we played our first league game under Souness at Easter Rd and in the first half Chris Woods came out for a corner and nonchalantly and comfortably plucked the ball out of the air. That's how long I had to wait to see that in a Rangers goalie.

Don't get me wrong, by and large since then with the odd exception I've been spoiled.

Last edited:
Bit hit and miss Big Peter. His best season was when we won the Scottish Cup in 73. He got called up for Scotland only to get injured on the eve of Wembley against England. Thought we had a good replacement for him when Stewart Kennedy had an outstanding season in 74-75 when we stopped their TIAR only for the 5-1 defeat at Wembley to destroy him. McCloy won his place back after that.

Say what you like, but McCloy made one of the best saves I've ever seen a Rangers keeper make. Last minute in the Stadio Communale in Turin. We're one down to Juventus and Roberto Bettega powers a header towards the top corner. Big Gas Meter leaps across and claws the ball from under the crossbar. The Italians around me were shouting "Bravo". It was the platform for that memorable night back at Ibrox when we knocked Juve out with a 2-0 win.

Show some respect young man almost 600 games for Rangers, Barcelona legend, assist for the crucial winning goal, two trebles, three league titles, 4 cups, 4 league cups, good enough for Waddell, Wallace and Greig, Rangers legend, but thank goodness Chris Woods came along and set a new standard Yes he had occasional real howlers, but you don’t have that record if you arent reliable week after week. Fine golfer and bowler too.

I can't ever recall seeing McCloy save a penalty
I remember big Peter saving one at Ibrox against Dundee. Tommy Gemmell was playing with Dundee at the time so the game was maybe 1973-74. Gemmell had a fair shot on him and he hit the ball low, hard and in the centre of the goal. Big Peter moved to his left but left a long leg trailing and the ball smacked off it.

Oh how we cheered and then gave Gemmell even more stick. We played in our white strip that day too.

Let's just say the standard of Rangers goalkeeper has mostly improved since.
True also of Scottish goalkeeping generally. In less than 20 years we went from Bobby Clark, Big Peter, David Stewart, Stuart Kennedy, David Harvey, and Ally Hunter passing the shirt around to Leighton, Goram, then McGregor, Gordon and even Marshall raising the bar. Have to confess I am worried we are going miles backwards when Gordon retires. That two mid 20’s Rangers youths are still competing for the back up slot is scary to me (Kelly & McCrorie).

I recall Rumenigge smashing one from outside the box (inter Milan at Ibrox Nov 84 - my first game) and big Peter waving at the ball on his way to collect it for a bye kick when it dipped and crashed off the crossbar.
Mccloy he'd be older than mcgregor surely ,Jim Stewart was it not ?

My old man told me about Bobby Lennox doing this to McCloy in a game at Ibrox in early 70’s.

Show some respect young man almost 600 games for Rangers, Barcelona legend, assist for the crucial winning goal, two trebles, three league titles, 4 cups, 4 league cups, good enough for Waddell, Wallace and Greig, Rangers legend, but thank goodness Chris Woods came along and set a new standard Yes he had occasional real howlers, but you don’t have that record if you arent reliable week after week. Fine golfer and bowler too.

I was at Barcelona and Big Peter made a great save at 3-2 that night for which I don't think he was ever given proper credit. The big guy could make the occasional blooper - like the one against Porto at Ibrox that probably helped put the final nail into John Greig's managerial career - but there were many games when he was fantastic. One in particular was the night in 1978 in Turin when we lost 1-0 to Juventus. He made some great saves that kept us in the tie and eventually led to our 2-0 victory in the return leg.

I think it was Pierre Litbarski playing for some German mob did it to McCloy.
I think you are getting mixed up. Littbarski did the wee foot on top of the ball at a free kick in at the Copland and roll it forward and then back to a khont behind him who then scored.
That was Cologne and probably very early 80s.

Edit. 1979 European Cup 1/4 final

Been corrected. 1982 UEFA cup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back