Michael Beale's Rangers switch sparks Simon Jordan to question integrity as he rails against 'bloody managers'

captcaveman

Beale talked about showing loyalty after rejecting the chance to take over at Wolves just over a month ago.

Simon Jordan has questioned Michael Beale’s integrity now he's on the verge of leaving QPR for Rangers.

The former Ibrox coach is expected to replace Gio van Bronckhorst after the Dutchman was sacked on Monday. Beale was part of Steven Gerrard’s coaching team that won the Scottish Premiership title in 2021, going unbeaten for the entire league campaign. The 42-year-old left with Gerrard and Gary McAllister for Aston Villa just over a year ago, before accepting the R’s offer to become their new head coach last summer.

Wolves approached Beale about taking over from Bruno Lage after he was sacked, but he turned the chance to swap Loftus Road for Molineux. Speaking after he knocked back the Midlands club, Beale said: "Integrity is a real big thing for me, and loyalty. You don't give it to receive it back but I think if they're the values you live by then at times when you're put in a position then you have to be strong by them."

Now talkSport pundit Jordan has called Beale food seemingly being ready to perform a 180 on those principles just over a month later. And the former Crystal palace owner railed against modern managers, insisting none of them are prepared to “earn their stripes”, before moving on to a bigger job.

“I’m perplexed why you would want to be so strident in your view about integrity and 35 days later that’s now changed,” Jordan told talkSport. “I remarked on social media that I hope Sod’s law doesn’t kick in and he loses his next game straight out of the bag and he didn’t. He’s then gone on to lose his next four or five games. People will say perhaps he’s facing some pressure at QPR in a couple of games’ time if he doesn’t win those games.

“Going to Rangers at this point is such a big risk because Celtic have got such a good hold of the league. Postecoglou is in such good nick. These bloody managers need to earn their stripes and should not be jumping at the first opportunity. This time I think he’ll find himself out of the door.”

I heard it on talkSPORT and to be honest, it did not sound great. They played a clip of Beale speaking around the time that Wolves went in for him and he reeled off what were just probably sound bites but now look a little off. Beale’s interview had him saying he had asked the club and players to go all in and it would be wrong for him to be the first to jump ship, that integrity was important to him and he had a job to do at QPR.

Jordan is an arse, no doubt, but he was correct in what he was saying, managers say what they think the fans want to hear but it is all bullshit and they will do as they please when it comes down to it, and integrity is a nice word to throw around but is rarely seen.

In his defence, he came out on talksport when Beale rejected Wolves and said it was brilliant to see such loyalty from a young manager and how impressed he was.

If Beale does become manager, Jordan is entitled to reconsider that view in my opinion. Particularly with what Beale said when he stayed.

I’ll be happy if/when Beale is appointed but he does stand to be criticised

Exactly. I mean showing loyalty to QPR by rejecting the advances of a relative 'ten a penny' job at Wolves is entirely different from having the opportunity to manage Rangers land on your desk.

Jordan is talking knickers and he knows it.
You would think after someone like Gerrard said 'When Rangers call you get a special feeling' they would start to understand.

I think there's a lot of truth in what he says.

When we were on the end of a perceived lack of loyalty from Steven Gerrard we didn't like it.

Football is ruthless so these guys have to be in it for themselves but the optics around Beale, Wolves, us here aren't that great for Beale.

Beale talked about showing loyalty after rejecting the chance to take over at Wolves just over a month ago.

Simon Jordan has questioned Michael Beale’s integrity now he's on the verge of leaving QPR for Rangers.

The former Ibrox coach is expected to replace Gio van Bronckhorst after the Dutchman was sacked on Monday. Beale was part of Steven Gerrard’s coaching team that won the Scottish Premiership title in 2021, going unbeaten for the entire league campaign. The 42-year-old left with Gerrard and Gary McAllister for Aston Villa just over a year ago, before accepting the R’s offer to become their new head coach last summer.

Wolves approached Beale about taking over from Bruno Lage after he was sacked, but he turned the chance to swap Loftus Road for Molineux. Speaking after he knocked back the Midlands club, Beale said: "Integrity is a real big thing for me, and loyalty. You don't give it to receive it back but I think if they're the values you live by then at times when you're put in a position then you have to be strong by them."

Now talkSport pundit Jordan has called Beale food seemingly being ready to perform a 180 on those principles just over a month later. And the former Crystal palace owner railed against modern managers, insisting none of them are prepared to “earn their stripes”, before moving on to a bigger job.

“I’m perplexed why you would want to be so strident in your view about integrity and 35 days later that’s now changed,” Jordan told talkSport. “I remarked on social media that I hope Sod’s law doesn’t kick in and he loses his next game straight out of the bag and he didn’t. He’s then gone on to lose his next four or five games. People will say perhaps he’s facing some pressure at QPR in a couple of games’ time if he doesn’t win those games.

“Going to Rangers at this point is such a big risk because Celtic have got such a good hold of the league. Postecoglou is in such good nick. These bloody managers need to earn their stripes and should not be jumping at the first opportunity. This time I think he’ll find himself out of the door.”
Jordan might have wanted to hold fire on such an opinion piece until Beale actually decides to leave his job for us.

Jordan doesn’t say a lot wrong there but clearly doesn’t understand the pull of Rangers, particularly to someone who already knows what the club is about.

Can’t really argue with his point. Although in this case he is showing loyalty of sorts if he returns to Rangers.

The Daily Coverup model for articles;

Find someone obscure who has no relation to the club. ✔️
Ask their opinion✔️
Look for a negative slant about Rangers.✔️
Run story with a comment about separate entity fc being the greatest team ever assembled.✔️

He’s probably right, Beale has shown little loyalty and has jumped ship multiple times in his short career for “better” offers.

I don’t think loyalty really came into it with Wolves either, he just played to the galley when really it was because it wasn’t the right opportunity for him.

His “loyalty” doesn’t fill me with confidence. He’d do the same to us again, he has no problem putting himself first.

For a start Beale hasn't moved anywhere yet

It's incredibly nieve to think players and managers don't have places they'd love to work

Boy needs to grow up
Its also naive of Beale to talk the way he did about the Wolves job a few weeks ago and then contradict that for the Rangers job.

Beale hasnt got the job yet and maybe he wont take it but soundbites like 'job to do' and 'all in' when talking about QPR are bound to be thrown in your face when you consider leaving for another club a month later.

He’s probably right, Beale has shown little loyalty and has jumped ship for “better” offers multiple times.

He’d do the same to us again given the right opportunity.
Thats football. The same way managers get binned.

Jordans issue is probably the language Beale used. He didnt just say 'Its not the right move for me, id rather not fight relegation.'

If chairmen want to put a limit on how quickly they can sack managers then they can expect a degree of loyalty in return.

Beale’s reign at QPR is already longer than 6 permanent managers they fired

Its also naive of Beale to talk the way he did about the Wolves job a few weeks ago and then contradict that for the Rangers job.

Beale hasnt got the job yet and maybe he wont take it but soundbites like 'job to do' and 'all in' when talking about QPR are bound to be thrown in your face when you consider leaving for another club a month later.

Things change, it's really that simple. The Rangers job wasn't available then.

Beale is clearly not motivated only by money or he would have taken the Wolves job.
It was no secret that he wanted to manage Rangers in the future and I would guess that when the chance came he wouldn’t want to turn it down in case it never came again.

Things change, it's really that simple. The Rangers job wasn't available then.
Thats the point i made in my first post. Theres a big difference between the Wolves job and the Rangers job.

People are well within their rights to bring up his remarks though.

Gerrard is now a sound guy who had the team playing excellent football never lost to wee teams and was a master of defeating the low block.
said by nobody at all ever.
Its funny you said that as I looked back at the threads when Gerrard left and as you say, there are multiple comments of people calling both him and the coaching team for everything and slating them.

It looks bad without any context. I remember a certain Mr Gerrard telling Emma Dodds not to ask stupid questions weeks before he left Rangers.

Beale could have done without making the comments he did but context is everything. 5 games lost and if QPR wanted him out, they wouldn’t show him any mercy because he made some nice comments either, that’s football.

Last edited:
Is he wrong though?

Beale explicitly saying he’s staying at QPR until at least the end of the season after rejecting Wolves in that interview and then (potentially) moving the next month is a bit Fabian Delph in all honesty.

To us, it's a passion. To them, it's a career. They're looking to maximise their income and/or profile so that they can earn more at the next job.

In football, and indeed any professional team sport, the only people who are loyal are the supporters, and even then it's a loyalty to the club, not the individuals.

I have no issue with that whatsoever, especially when we consider how quick the loyal fans are to turn on individuals. Look at some of ours - one bad pass and they bring up an error the same player made 4 years ago as proof that they've always been shite.

An individual is entitled to change job when they want. He has an issue with managers, not the first time he’s had a go in general. They clearly have too much power for his liking and probably was shown so when he owned a club.

I understand where Jordan is coming from apart from the earn your stripes comment. Managers have always been able to start careers at bigger clubs.

The loyalty thing though he showed loyalty to QPR, the difference with now is I don't think Beale has ever said anything other than he'd love to manage us since he left.

Its funny you said that as I looked back at the threads when Gerrard left and as you say, there are multiple comments of people calling both him and the coaching team for everything and slating them.
Yes, we all did as we knew we struggled when any team played the low block we all complained about us passing over and over looking for the perfect goal rather than taking a shot.

Funny how this place is calling Simon Jordan all sorts for saying the same thing this very forum said about Gerrard when he left for Villa.
I agree. I do think he was put in a tough position. When he knocked back the Wolves job at the time it was probably easier to say he was remaining loyal rather than not fancying a relegation battle. Definitely wouldn’t have been as big of an issue going to us had that potential move never occurred, other than the fact he has barely been in a job. I know if a manager left us after a few months, especially after the quotes Beale has made, I would be raging.

However, I don’t think Beale making an appearance at Ibrox while van Bronckhorst was under pressure. Whether he had legitimate reasons that didn’t involve putting him in the new manager frame, I think that was unfair on Gio, even though I thought it was time up for him by that point.

Surely not the same Simon Jordan who went through 6 managers and 4 caretaker managers in the space of nine years ?

Mind that time you told Steve Kember he had a "job for life" at Crystal Palace and you sacked him after 23 games ?

"Simon had said I’d have a ‘job for life’ at Palace, and when he offered me the manager’s role on a permanent basis after covering Trevor’s departure, I thought: ‘Let’s give it a go.’ This was 2003/04. We started off really well by winning the first three league games and a League Cup match...We were facing Wigan Athletic away in a televised 12:30 kick-off. Bags packed, we left Beckenham at half-past-12 the day before and didn’t get to Wigan until half-past-nine that night. You can’t blame anybody for that, but we had to keep calling to get dinner delayed and, after such a tiring journey up, the boys had an early start the next day.We looked dreadful and went 2-0 down within 30 minutes. I knew then it was over. I looked up to the Directors’ Box and could see Simon on the phone. On Monday morning, it was: See you later. The job for life didn’t last very long."

No point complaining. If Beale comes here and is a success then we can be certain he’ll be back down the road as soon as an EPL job comes calling and we’ll have a few months of threads about him being a snake etc

This is modern football and the only true loyalty is in the stands.

No point complaining. If Beale comes here and is a success then we can be certain he’ll be back down the road as soon as an EPL job comes calling and we’ll have a few months of threads about him being a snake etc

This is modern football and the only true loyalty is in the stands.
Thats a good point.

Football can be a short career and people need to take opportunities when and if they appear, like with Gerrard, I have no ill feeling towards him as an opportunity came up and he took it.

I do not think anyone, Jordan included, has any kind of issue with Beale having his head turned by us. The issue comes with his interviews after turning down the Wolves job. It just has a really awful look to it when you tell the world's press you are not moving because of loyalty and integrity, then a month later consider another job.

"Integrity is a real big thing for me, and loyalty. You don't give it to receive it back but I think if they're the values you live by then at times when you're put in a position then you have to be strong by them."

"I'd only been a manager for four months," Beale tells Sky Sports of his decision. "Sixteen games at that point, and I was really enjoying it. I'd persuaded a lot of people to come here to the club, in terms of players and staff, so it was important I stayed on here."

"There have been conversations in-house," he says. "There have been assurances made on my side towards the clubs and towards the players.

"I don't want speculation around the management team because that doesn't help. In football we're used to there being speculation around players, that's the norm, but I think when it's around the management staff it can unsettle the club and I don't want that."

"It was important we had a conversation afterwards to get real clarity, and it's important those conversations continue. It's not about a lack of ambition, it's about the fact I really value the project we have here, and the autonomy I have to work with the coaching staff.

"I've bought into the journey of QPR and these young players, and we don't know where that will take us.

"Nothing is guaranteed, and I'm certainly not under pressure to get promotion. It's the ultimate aim to build towards.

"I'm sure if we all do well, players and staff alike, then there will be some speculation. But there have been assurances from myself to the club that this is where I want to be."

Back