Rangers Confirm Michael Beale As Manager

All that is true, but some players dropped form so significantly, like Tavernier for instance, not to ask why that was. Going by his interview in BT Sport, Beale probably agrees with your final point.
I think Beale needs money in January to add a good few players to change the dynamic of the dressing room if he does not get that he will also fail at Rangers.

I disagree with all of that, nor agree with all of it.
That’s cool.

More simply put I believe they peaked winning 55 and punched above their weight from then until 6 months ago. For the reasons indicated they won’t take us back to those high points.

Where do think needs improved most?
Defensively we need two players one to cover for Tav or replace him if he doesn't improve his form.
We also need someone to play alongside Davies till Goldson comes back as King is still inexperienced and should not play every game.
I think we need two midfielders(spend money not frees) who can actually run and work and play a pass through the lines.
Upfront we need one maybe two strikers as we cannot rely on Roofe or Morelos as both look done.

Defensively we need two players one to cover for Tav or replace him if he doesn't improve his form.
We also need someone to play alongside Davies till Goldson comes back as King is still inexperienced and should not play every game.
I think we need two midfielders(spend money not frees) who can actually run and work and play a pass through the lines.
Upfront we need one maybe two strikers as we cannot rely on Roofe or Morelos as both look done.
Would you get behind Beale getting Kamara being at his best, and adding midfielders to him being there, with Lundstram?

Would you get behind Beale getting Kamara being at his best, and adding midfielders to him being there, with Lundstram?
I like Kamara he's a talented player he always needs four or five games before you see the best of him.
Lundstram is back to the form he started at Rangers and is not doing enough in games that wee jump where he gave up in a game probably has clouded my judgement of him.

I like Kamara he's a talented player he always needs four or five games before you see the best of him.
Lundstram is back to the form he started at Rangers and is not doing enough in games that wee jump where he gave up in a game probably has clouded my judgement of him.
To me Lundstram looks like he is carrying an injury , he has been off the pace all season.

Although that could be down to our general lack of fitness. If Beale can get them back to peak fitness like last season then he will come back to his best.

Last edited:
To me Lundstram looks like he is carrying an inju, he has been off the pace all season.

Although that could be down to our general lack of fitness. If Beale can get them back to peak fitness like last season then he will come back to his best.
I hope you are right I just think we need real energy in the middle as we are a bit slow and lethargic.

I hope you are right I just think we need real energy in the middle as we are a bit slow and lethargic.
I agree completely, for me the spine of the team is badly lacking, ie goalie, centre half and centre mid.

Obviously some of that can be explained away by injuries, but not all of it. I thought we were at our best when we had Goldson and Davies at CH, and Jack in the holding role, since all 3 got injured our season just collapsed.

Pushing Tav and Borna further forward like we used to will help as well, not only does it play to their strong suits but it allows Kent to move further in where he is at his best.

To be fair to him he's been carrying an injury for the last couple of months and has had zero help in midfield beside him

I hope he does well and the board back him with what he needs. In saying that I am surprised and thought we would've went for more experience.

I still think our squad is better than most think though, and should be doing far better. Hopefully a couple of signings in January to kick that off; after winning the games before then.
Sorry to jump back into this - it’s past the point whereby those that should be doing better get another chance to prove they are better than most think.
It won’t happen. The fact they’re in that “should be doing better” category means they ain’t good enough.

Shining temporarily isn’t enough. We need players that can do it repeatedly whether it’s raising their game for Europa league Dortmund away or doing all that’s necessary at Dingwall on a Saturday at 12pm lunchtime.

Many might do ok elsewhere but they’ve managed to get the manager the sack so MB I doubt will be giving them enough rope to bring him down too.

While I absolutely want to see Beale getting the best out of Kent Morelos n Kamara asap it won’t reflect well on the players if they do return to form quickly.

Thought his interview was excellent especially his underlining of gio’s success
Thought that was a touch of class.

He speaks well, Michael Beale. Think I'll bother with the interviews again now :)

Last edited:
To me Lundstram looks like he is carrying an injury , he has been off the pace all season.

To be fair to Lundstram though he was also trying to carry the midfield for most of this season, he was very leggy towards the last couple of games coming up to the break though but hes another thats basically played every game since the seaosn kicked off.

Sorry to jump back into this - it’s past the point whereby those that should be doing better get another chance to prove they are better than most think.
It won’t happen. The fact they’re in that “should be doing better” category means they ain’t good enough.

Shining temporarily isn’t enough. We need players that can do it repeatedly whether it’s raising their game for Europa league Dortmund away or doing all that’s necessary at Dingwall on a Saturday at 12pm lunchtime.

Many might do ok elsewhere but they’ve managed to get the manager the sack so MB I doubt will be giving them enough rope to bring him down too.

While I absolutely want to see Beale getting the best out of Kent Morelos n Kamara asap it won’t reflect well on the players if they do return to form quickly.

A change of tactics and training can make a massive difference to players form

In the last 181 days, he’s been offered an English Championship job, an English Premiership job and the job at Rangers.

It suggests to me that people within the game - not me or you - think he is indeed one of the brightest young up and coming coaches.

Only one of us taking the piss here, surely?
Yeah that’s bang on, because you never see diddies ending up with EPL or Championship gigs. You’ve never seen guys like Steve Kean, Felix Magath, Paolo Di Canio and Terry Connor managing in the Premier League…….

I could draw up a really expansive list of nobodies for the championship. I remember Ian Cathro was legitimately regarded as a top young coach within European football for what he’d done at Valencia. I’m also not sure how anyone can overlook that small detail of having already worked at Rangers and produced some pretty terrible results domestically; unless we’re sticking with the new narrative that cups no longer matter and 55 cancelled out the previous 2 seasons.

A very interesting wee book is Erikkson’s ‘On Football’. Terrific read on psychology in football. The great teams need 3, preferably 4 players who will refuse to accept defeat or let others accept it. These are the same players who if defeated, shrug it off and move mentally on to the next game. Hope the team can be re built with this in mind. The mentality of Souness, Butcher, John Brown etc. is what I mean by leaders. We can but hope

Just watched the gaffers interview anyone no buzzing with what he had to say is at it.
Sounds very positive - "take the hand brake off and play an exciting brand of football to entertain the fans" - I hope it takes effect quickly because we've been awful to watch this season

You've assumed something about Ross Wilson's appointment of Beale, of which you don't know is the case or not. Also, regarding Wilson, would it be accurate to say that the transfer of three particular players since January out of the club has totalled £40 odd million; just to get an idea of the level of his incompetence? I have no loyalty to a single one of those who either run the club now or did so fairly recently, so I read a post like this as dispassionately as possible, but your opening paragraph interests me. When did the nucleus of this board take over; where was the club in terms of league position and squad strength at that time; in seven years we could have done better on the park, of course we could have, but to what cost would we have had to pay to gaurantee that?- getting to a penalty shout-out from a European trophy, six years after coming into the top league, inheriting the mess they did at the time, will take some beating though. Listen to Beale, before he became manager, listen to Warburton, listen to the comments comments of Walter, or Souness, or Alex McLeish, or even the former caretaker Graeme Murty, or on top of that Steven Gerrard; where do these people, who served this club on the front line, ever have a categorical criticism of this board being unfit for purpose? In the words of our new manager, before he became manager, "they wanted to do more than they could", when commenting on this board in his time here under Gerrard. All these men, for all I know, may have criticised the odd thing here or there, the signing or lack of here or there, but where did they ever really criticise it's very existence; does that not indicate anything? Your contempt for Wilson is clear, he is a "charlatan", and yet in his time here this club has moved forward: a League win, a SC win, gaining a CL group place, and, again, the club coming within an inch of lifting a European trophy. It's too early to properly appraise him fairly, but it's a bold claim to make to suggest he has taken the club back the way. You're probably better off debating the key aspects of the board with better people than me; I know virtually nothing of the finer details in this regard, and only come at this as a fan, so everything I've got is most likely in this post and can't really extend beyond that. As regards the 'hysterical "tripe"' relating to our new manager, I'll have own up to being one of the leading exponents of
Mistake made by me

got to give him a chance

you know FF members are waiting to pounce on any dropped point

for now it seems to mostly positivity

A change of tactics and training can make a massive difference to players form
It can. I think you’re suggesting it’s not on the players and more Gio’s fault they’ve underperformed. I tend to disagree I think attitude has also been an issue.

Either way . Fingers crossed

Last edited:
Yeah that’s bang on, because you never see diddies ending up with EPL or Championship gigs. You’ve never seen guys like Steve Kean, Felix Magath, Paolo Di Canio and Terry Connor managing in the Premier League…….

I could draw up a really expansive list of nobodies for the championship. I remember Ian Cathro was legitimately regarded as a top young coach within European football for what he’d done at Valencia. I’m also not sure how anyone can overlook that small detail of having already worked at Rangers and produced some pretty terrible results domestically; unless we’re sticking with the new narrative that cups no longer matter and 55 cancelled out the previous 2 seasons.
Every appointment is a risk but the fact he’s part of a team poached from Rangers to Villa, then been asked to take over QPR, then offered an EPL job with a great source of players and a decent transfer budget from their hotline to Jorge Mendes and then we’ve went for him based on how impressed we were with him in his time here tells me that people in the game - who, let’s be honest, know more than me or you - see him as having (at the very least) some potential.

I don’t see the appeal in desperately wanting him to fail, it seems a bit counter intuitive to me.

Every appointment is a risk but the fact he’s part of a team poached from Rangers to Villa, then been asked to take over QPR, then offered an EPL job with a great source of players and a decent transfer budget from their hotline to Jorge Mendes and then we’ve went for him based on how impressed we were with him in his time here tells me that people in the game - who, let’s be honest, know more than me or you - see him as having (at the very least) some potential.

I don’t see the appeal in desperately wanting him to fail, it seems a bit counter intuitive to me.
Who wants him to fail though? We can have a discussion about the risks involved or how appealing the appointment is in comparison to other possible options, but let’s not just write absolute nonsense about fans wanting more misery because I think most of us have seen enough failure and embarrassment over the last decade to last a lifetime.

I’m just not up for the “(insert name) works in the game therefore knows all therefore must be right” line of thinking either. Because that means Wilson is beyond reproach, it means Pedro couldn’t really be questioned, nor could Gio or anyone who isn’t getting results. Wolves sounded him out based on his impressive early form at QPR, that was quite clear. The problem is that form took a sharp nosedive and in a flash that talk of him taking them back to the Premier League had evaporated.

I’m not saying he won’t do well. I clearly hope he does, but he’s unproven as a manager in his own right and even when he was our chief tactician that was a period that brought about a hell of a lot of domestic failure; and that was against a Celtic side and manager weren’t as strong as what they have now, and that’s only the league because failure in domestic cups was largely at the hands of run of the mill SPL jobbers. So you really need to forgive some fans for being a bit concerned about how it might all turn out, because as we’ve seen before (even with sides like Hearts), appointing the highly rated and respected young coach as first team manager doesn’t always go well.

But I certainly can’t subscribe to the theory that being wanted by a PL side means you’re the one, even Lampard has been sought out for a couple of PL gigs and to be honest neither he or Gerrard really look like they belong there. And I definitely have a different view of what would constitute being one of Europe’s brightest young coaches. The squad needs an overhaul anyway or he won’t be achieving a great deal, so a large part of what happens will depend on the board and their minion being able to do his job and shift players to bring in more suitable players.

It can. I think you’re suggesting it’s not on the players and more Gio’s fault they’ve underperformed. I tend to disagree I think attitude has also been an issue.

a bit of both mate, as someone who has spent the last 30 years involved in team sports, It can be hard to keep up a positive attitude when youre being asked to do something that doesnt suit you, or if you feel something isnt working

Attitude could be individual effort but it could also be impacted by demoralisation - if the players couldnt buy into the approach then motivation is much more difficult.

I forsee immediate improvements in energy and performance - whether that turns into consistent results is to be seen.

Who wants him to fail though? We can have a discussion about the risks involved or how appealing the appointment is in comparison to other possible options, but let’s not just write absolute nonsense about fans wanting more misery because I think most of us have seen enough failure and embarrassment over the last decade to last a lifetime.

I’m just not up for the “(insert name) works in the game therefore knows all therefore must be right” line of thinking either. Because that means Wilson is beyond reproach, it means Pedro couldn’t really be questioned, nor could Gio or anyone who isn’t getting results. Wolves sounded him out based on his impressive early form at QPR, that was quite clear. The problem is that form took a sharp nosedive and in a flash that talk of him taking them back to the Premier League had evaporated.

I’m not saying he won’t do well. I clearly hope he does, but he’s unproven as a manager in his own right and even when he was our chief tactician that was a period that brought about a hell of a lot of domestic failure; and that was against a Celtic side and manager weren’t as strong as what they have now, and that’s only the league because failure in domestic cups was largely at the hands of run of the mill SPL jobbers. So you really need to forgive some fans for being a bit concerned about how it might all turn out, because as we’ve seen before (even with sides like Hearts), appointing the highly rated and respected young coach as first team manager doesn’t always go well.

But I certainly can’t subscribe to the theory that being wanted by a PL side means you’re the one, even Lampard has been sought out for a couple of PL gigs and to be honest neither he or Gerrard really look like they belong there. And I definitely have a different view of what would constitute being one of Europe’s brightest young coaches. The squad needs an overhaul anyway or he won’t be achieving a great deal, so a large part of what happens will depend on the board and their minion being able to do his job and shift players to bring in more suitable players.
didn't get to the end of that

war and peace ffs

a bit of both mate, as someone who has spent the last 30 years involved in team sports, It can be hard to keep up a positive attitude when youre being asked to do something that doesnt suit you, or if you feel something isnt working
Especially when it comes with some record breaking serious gubbings in Europe

Back