Best footballer from a terrible footballing Country

George Best. Northern Ireland
I know what you’re saying but given our population and the fact that a good percentage of them wouldn’t knock themselves out to play for us, Our Wee Country has punched above its weight many’s a time.

Weah is probably the one would stand out for me. There was a long time you could have said Eidar Gudjonsson (spelling) but then Iceland actually got half decent for a bit.

The young Georgian that plays for Napoli.
EXlUWmEWkAI2nBd.jpg

Did nothing in a Wales shirt, pretended to be injured when Sir Alex asked at a whim. An absolute charlatan as far as Wales are concerned.

Fair point both legends.

Bales better than all 3.
Tbf from all the podcasts I’ve heard, Wales at that time was a total sham of a set up. Just recently heard Danny Collins say Toshack didn’t even know if he’d been playing domestically, and heard Tom Williams, a Cyprus player getting called up on the assumption he could play for Wales because of his name and the fact he played for Swansea. Could you imagine going from Man U to teaming up with John Hartson on his 9th pint at the golf club, the day before a game, and passing it to cloggers like Savage and Andy Johnson in the middle.

But I do agree he was a total charlatan. A better man/pro would have demanded the standards were raised instead of hiding from it.

Tbf from all the podcasts I’ve heard, Wales at that time was a total sham of a set up. Just recently heard Danny Collins say Toshack didn’t even know if he’d been playing domestically, and heard Tom Williams, a Cyprus player getting called up on the assumption he could play for Wales because of his name and the fact he played for Swansea. Could you imagine going from Man U to teaming up with John Hartson on his 9th pint at the golf club, the day before a game, and passing it to cloggers like Savage and Andy Johnson in the middle.

But I do agree he was a total charlatan. A better man/pro would have demanded the standards were raised instead of hiding from it.

Your country is your country. It is an honor to be called up. Giggs saw it as a chore. Cannot stand the man (easy tbf as he's a total scumbag). As you say a better pro would have demanded standards were raised, he didn't even turn up.

Back