Is European competition income more important than winning the domestic league?

instructor

Is being domestic champions losing its importance? A good run in the Europa League or qualifying for the Champions League bring in similar large finances and we are unlikely to win many points in the Champions League. The importance of European income seems to be the main aim nowadays. I wonder if an Atlantic league type project might resurface as an alternative to the current scenario?

In essence income wise yes especially in Scotland.

Take hearts if they get there act together after not having to play euro games the extra 3 mill they get is more than winning the spfl and manage to get Europe again this year they have real chance to push ahead of the rest

For us and then getting battered in the CL gets us pretty much 5 years of winning title money there's not really much between prize money between 1st and 2nd.

When new groups start in 2 years your prob talking cl participation fee of around 20 mill they are estimating The enlarged Champions League after 2024 will have an even larger prize pot, which is expected to increase from the current figure of £1.7BN to £2.45BN.

It's a change in core beliefs but I am beginning to think that this has happened, sad to say.
The league should always be our bread and butter, but I think EL group stage serves the health of the club better than a domestic cup competition.

As far as Europe goes people wanted us out and Celtic to progress thinking it would help us over the last few years.

Absolutely not, how can any true fan honestly answer that winning the league isn’t as important?

See when the filth are racking up trophy after trophy and title after title, can we can console ourselves with the fact that we have European finances to fall back on?
I don’t think anyone is saying that. Financially Europe is better, but we should always be looking to win the league first and foremost. As far as the health of the clubs finances goes though it’s Europe.

Both are important, they’re not mutually exclusive.

A Rangers side should be at the very least taking the title to the wire, winning a cup and reaching the group stages of European competition. From there, we should be ultra competitive and delivering a good account of ourselves.

We should never purposefully sacrifice one for the other.

Yes imo consistent Euro income is a great base revenue , domestic cups mean little economically nor will they keep the fans happy nor the manager in a job .

Title win is of course the primary aim but only if complemented by thst base revenue from Euro fixtures .

The benefit of European football is that the finances allow us to be stronger in competing for the league. The league is everything.

We should always be aiming high in Europe. Last season will live long in the memory. Its disappointing that some fans are still obsessed with beating the peasants in League games than looking to win European trophies. We were a penalty kick away from doing so not long ago. We can get there again. Europe should be our main stage, not the SPFL.

Last season we played 19 European matches, mostly in the EL, that's half a league season of matches. We had great enjoyment from it and it generated millions of pounds. The European experience is growing more and more significant to us.

If referring to income of a long EL run rather than a shit3 CL run then yes. For the club as a whole, hell no. We need to be winning leagues and cups on a yearly basis.

They’re not mutually exclusive, especially when the way to currently guarantee the most European revenue is to win the league.

Is being domestic champions losing its importance? A good run in the Europa League or qualifying for the Champions League bring in similar large finances and we are unlikely to win many points in the Champions League. The importance of European income seems to be the main aim nowadays. I wonder if an Atlantic league type project might resurface as an alternative to the current scenario?

Well if you win the league you barely get enough for a 10p mixture, whereas our run to the Europa League final was worth £30 million.

However, you can’t really compare them as I’m sure we’d much rather than a trophy in the cupboard year on year.

Because of our financial model yes,
And given the country we play our football in then also yes as the price money is so small,

If we played in England it would be a different answer

I would happily trade ever winning a domestic cup again if we made it to the later stages of Europe every season. Fee more prestige and finance

"Qualification for the Champions League"

A really handy way to do that is winning the league?

I would rather we win the league, than run the risk of not making the Champions League.

When it comes to winning domestic Cups, we have beat Queen of the South and Dundee to make a Semi Final.

We won a Cup last year because we beat Stirling, Annan, Dundee, Celtic and Hearts

There is next to no need for us to throw domestic competitions

"Qualification for the Champions League"

A really handy way to do that is winning the league?

I would rather we win the league, than run the risk of not making the Champions League.

When it comes to winning domestic Cups, we have beat Queen of the South and Dundee to make a Semi Final.

We won a Cup last year because we beat Stirling, Annan, Dundee, Celtic and Hearts

There is next to no need for us to throw domestic competitions

They take up valuable space in the calendar for virtually zero reward.

League cup in particular could be binned.

They take up valuable space in the calendar for virtually zero reward.

League cup in particular could be binned.

That isn't even remotely close to being true for all but 2 sides in it, and even there there is significant reward for those 2 as well.

Last edited:
Winning the league is the best way to open the doors to earning that money. So yes, winning the league is more important than achieving a good run in Europe.

Yes but that doesn't mean the domestic league should just be neglected entirely.

With Gerrard the European runs were basically the foundation for eventually winning the league.

If Ufa managed to take advantage of us only having 9 men or if Legia had scored a late goal instead of us then very likely we are still looking to win 55.

The belief that going out of Europe will "allow us to concentrate on the league" is just silly. If we don't keep on having good European runs then we aren't going to be winning the league again any time soon.

One follows the other surely? Target should be to win the league in order to qualify for the Champions League, which generates finance to invest in the squad, which helps us win the league.......and so it goes on. We really need to re-establish ourselves as the dominant club in Scotland. To some extent we're fortunate. Given the ridiculous advantages Scottish football handed that lot over the past decade+, they should be light years ahead of us, but to a large extent, certainly in Europe, they've made a complete arse of it, so the financial gap is closing and they're there for the taking if we can get our act together on and off the park.

To maximise european Income we must have domestic success. If we are perpetual runners-up their income from Europe exceeds ours and the financial and competitive gap grows. In summary, we can't distinguish in the manner suggested by the OP.

Difficult to compare given the importance of any lengthly European campaign, I'd never swap a league title for the latter stages in Europe however that being said the financial benefits far outweigh anything this cesspit of a League set up and structure will ever offer. For me the League title is the most important trophy over the course of the season but that alone does not bring in the financial clout to invest in the squad, to be where we want to be we need both, we need to be greedy Ba5tards.. both equally important going forward.

We should be able to do both. European money is obviously important but surely we as a fan base couldn't give up winning the title? I certainly couldn't.

Win the league, get into the CL, bank the £ and improve year on year. Improve to the point we can come 3rd say once in every 3 years (as some years, like this year, the competition will be too strong) to get into the latter EL stages. That’s where we need to be.

Absolutely not.

What’s the point existing if not to win trophies?
Exactly. We sing about being the most successful team in football - inclusive of national cups - and you regularly get people saying domestic trophies don’t matter and europes more important than the league

Unless you win the CL or Europa, a league title will always be more important. There’s an apathetic attitude towards trophies now and 2012 is always put forward in mitigation as to why we should accept not winning. 2012 has ruined the mentality of some of our support

Last years Europa run was more enjoyable than any domestic campaign in a decade - knockout format, new opponents, both teams trying to win matches.

So financially and entertainment wise - yes.

It probably would be if that lot didn’t exist. It’s why I wish we’d leave this League. I wish we could focus on Europe.

Financial success remains a priority for obvious reasons. We are still playing catch up. However, financial success will lead to trophies. It’s not entirely either/or.

Back