Martinez leaving Belgium

I think this idea of Belgium having a golden generation is a bit over-stated.

England also had a golden generation and won nothing but Belgium is nowhere near the level of Europe's big five never mind the South Americans.

Belgium have done well for a country its size.
Any squad with prime De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaku is right out the top drawer. Also had a very solid defence and one of the best goalies in the world. They should have done so much better than they have. Bizarre that they stuck with a manager like Roberto Martinez, I really don’t see what credentials he has to merit managing that squad of players for so long.

England also had a golden generation and won nothing but Belgium is nowhere near the level of Europe's big five never mind the South Americans.

They were arguably the best team in the world in 2018.

Narrowly lost a 50/50 semi final to France.

It is a golden generation in terms of the players they had at their peak in 2014-2020.

Can't see them being serious contenders again any time soon.

I don't think it has anything to do with the size of Belgium, it's more that they have genuine world class players who have under achieved, and that would appear to be due to employing a very poor manager.

I've always thought Belgium's underachievement is down to him. Utterly bizarre they stuck with him until now, when the so called golden generation are past it, and they will soon return to mediocrity.

I really don’t get the jizzfest over Belgium. Yes, some great individual players but have achieved fcuk all as a team…

The Belgium FA should hang their heads in shame, first for appointing him and then keeping him in employment for 6 years.

A shit manager.

Martinez should have been punted from that job years ago. He has presided over a complete waste of a freakishly good pool of talent. Not even a sniff of doing anything significant during his tenure there.

This was a tournament too far, to be fair though, they finished 3rd at the last World Cup, which isn’t bad at all.

With the talent at his disposal he should have went further than 3rd, in at least a Euros. It is a dismal waste similar to England 15-20 years ago.

Not a defence of Martinez but that squad is riddled with selfish players with a history of attitude problems.

Lots of internal politics and infighting with the Belgians. That group of players have really underperformed as a team despite having great individual careers.

He was meant to be an attack minded manager, yet they looked piss poor in attack. Why they weren’t feeding KDB constantly, and instead stuck it out wide, is mad.

Not surprising considering he has a group of extremely talented players and has just come across as one of the weakest teams around. Able to get absolutely nothing out of them at all.

Not a defence of Martinez but that squad is riddled with selfish players with a history of attitude problems.

Lots of internal politics and infighting with the Belgians. That group of players have really underperformed as a team despite having great individual careers.

Same happened under Wilmots in 2014 and 2016.

Who are Europe's big 5 these days? Spain, France, England and?

Belgium have literally wasted their golden generation by employing a shite manager throughout. If Scotland had a golden generation its the sort of thing I'd expect from the SFA as well.

Possibly the most over promoted person in the history of football.

He shouldn’t have been within a million miles of a job like that and Belgium have indeed pissed away probably their only ever chance of achieving anything. A country that size won’t have a crop of players like that again.

Back