Feuds in Football

Davger 72

Was reading a thread about Roy Keane there and it got me thinking about how him and Alex Ferguson are no longer on speaking terms. Also read recently that Jim Leighton has never forgiven Ferguson for dropping him at Man Utd.

What other football feuds do you know of? There must be some cracking stories about some less well known feuds.

Was reading a thread about Roy Keane there and it got me thinking about how him and Alex Ferguson are no longer on speaking terms. Also read recently that Jim Leighton has never forgiven Ferguson for dropping him at Man Utd.

What other football feuds do you know of? There must be some cracking stories about some less well known feuds.

Leighton is an absolute child. He was dropped by his manager because he was playing really badly. Nothing strange, out of order or nasty about it.

To huff over it for decades is pathetic.

Leighton is an absolute child. He was dropped by his manager because he was playing really badly. Nothing strange, out of order or nasty about it.

He had been shite all through that season for utd as well as making a total arse of norways goal at hampden.

Was at fault for 2 goals in the cup final.

Fergie was 100% correct to drop him and this was proved by sealey keeping a clean sheet and utd winning the replay.

Alex Ferguson is the common denominator in a lot of feuds, which would normally mean he was the problem.

Off the top of my head I can think of Leighton, Sharpe, Stam, Keane, Beckham, Wenger, Keegan.

Came out the winner every single time.

Alex Ferguson is the common denominator in a lot of feuds, which would normally mean he was the problem.

Off the top of my head I can think of Leighton, Sharpe, Stam, Keane, Beckham, Wenger, Keegan.

Came out the winner every single time.
Bombed them all out at the right time, with the exception of Stam which I think he’s since admitted

Last edited:
Maxi Lopez and Mauro Icardi.

John Terry and Wayne Bridge.
For the Scottish edition, see Lyndon Dykes and Jim Thomson (Auld geezer who scored against us for QOS in 2008 SC Final).

He had been shite all through that season for utd as well as making a total arse of norways goal at hampden.

Was at fault for 2 goals in the cup final.

Fergie was 100% correct to drop him and this was proved by sealey keeping a clean sheet and utd winning the replay.

100%

He went to the World Cup and sold the jerseys against Brazil too when we were hanging on for a draw to qualify.

He was a total liability at that stage.

100%

He went to the World Cup and sold the jerseys against Brazil too when we were hanging on for a draw to qualify.

He was a total liability at that stage.

Fergie dropped leighton, won his first trophy in 4 years and the rest is history.

Roxburgh didnt want to be "disloyal/kick a man when he is down" and stuck with leighton and as expected he was a bag of nerves and it was painfully clear the back 4 didnt have confidence in him.

The result? Dumped out of the most favourable group we ever had at a world cup.

The difference between a winner and a loser eh?

Fergie dropped leighton, won his first trophy in 4 years and the rest is history.

Roxburgh didnt want to be "disloyal/kick a man when he is down" and stuck with leighton and as expected he was a bag of nerves and it was painfully clear the back 4 didnt have confidence in him.

The result? Dumped out of the most favourable group we ever had at a world cup.

The difference between a winner and a loser eh?

That laughable " rivalry " as to who was the best keeper, Goram or Leighton, was just ridiculous. Goram around that time was arguably the best goalie in world football.

That laughable " rivalry " as to who was the best keeper, Goram or Leighton, was just ridiculous. Goram around that time was arguably the best goalie in world football.

Something I didn't understand and was to young to remember is why Goram didn't feature in the Scotland Squad in 1998, was there some sort of issue between him and the manager?

Ferguson said Leighton's wife gave him the v-sign when he tried to talk to her to explain the situation.

I've always wondered if Craig Brown's insistence that Leighton was as good a keeper as Goram was the fact he knew Leighton mentally could not handle rejection or that someone was better. This is a man child who threw his toys out the pram and quit Scotland at the age of 41 after he chucked two Estonia goals in at Tynecastle and got criticised in the press.

Ferguson said Leighton's wife gave him the v-sign when he tried to talk to her to explain the situation.

I've always wondered if Craig Brown's insistence that Leighton was as good a keeper as Goram was the fact he knew Leighton mentally could not handle rejection or that someone was better. This is a man child who threw his toys out the pram and quit Scotland at the age of 41 after he chucked two Estonia goals in at Tynecastle and got criticised in the press.

He lost four years of his career because he was ‘mentally shattered’ after it.

For being dropped FFS. How arrogant/precious do you need to be to think you’re undroppable?

I’m sure a few ex Celtic players from the time on open goal interviews have said mcgeady and boruc didn’t see eye to eye and came to blows a few times. Boruc would do the old not try and save his shots in training

He lost four years of his career because he was ‘mentally shattered’ after it.

For being dropped FFS. How arrogant/precious do you need to be to think you’re undroppable?

And 25 years on, he was at it again when he went in a huff when McInnes let him go from Aberdeen as a coach.

"He was a great servant. We offered him his chance to say his farewells to the supporters today but he declined."

A child and a cheat but untouchable as far as the Scottish press were concerned. The Sounness goal against the Sheep shortly before Ferguson headed to Old Trafford. Well over the line and he dragged it back claiming it had not crossed and then chasing the officials at the second goal claiming offside when it wasn't - double standards in the extreme. There was also an incident at Easter Road when he went mental at Gascoigne over a penalty as I remember when there was nothing to dispute.

Back