Nir Bitton speeding trial delayed for months by interpreter request despite him speaking fluent English

uneasydaz

EX-CELTIC ace Nir Bitton’s speeding trial was delayed for six months as he wanted an interpreter — despite speaking fluent English.

The Israel star, 31, had his lawyers postpone the case three times because a Hebrew translator failed to turn up after he did 95mph in a 50 zone.

But Bitton coped fine with telly interviews during his nine years with the Hoops.

It comes as court staff scramble to clear a mountain of backlogged cases after Covid.

A source said: “Bitton’s English is excellent.

“It’s surprising it would be felt he would need an interpreter to follow things.”

The midfielder, now at Israel’s Maccabi Tel Aviv, spoke to Celtic TV in May.

He revealed he had helped countryman Liel Abada “settle into the city, the culture, the football, the language”.

And he told how he had “two Scottish kids and another one coming” during his near-decade in Glasgow.

The Scottish Court and Tribunal Service said: “It is policy to facilitate accused persons with an interpreter in all cases if the court deems this necessary.”

Bitton jetted back for the Glasgow sheriff court hearing last week.

He admitted careless driving on the M80 near the city in his Audi SQ7.

Sheriff Michael Hanlon fined him £4,500 with nine points but spared him a ban.

Scottish Tory Shadow Justice Secretary Jamie Greene MSP said many would be “aghast” at the hold-up.

Doing a post match interview and following court proceedings are quite different to be fair.

I don’t care for the guy for obvious reasons but it’s hardly his fault that the translator failed to show up either.

EX-CELTIC ace Nir Bitton’s speeding trial was delayed for six months as he wanted an interpreter — despite speaking fluent English.

The Israel star, 31, had his lawyers postpone the case three times because a Hebrew translator failed to turn up after he did 95mph in a 50 zone.

But Bitton coped fine with telly interviews during his nine years with the Hoops.

It comes as court staff scramble to clear a mountain of backlogged cases after Covid.

“It’s surprising it would be felt he would need an interpreter to follow things.”

He revealed he had helped countryman Liel Abada “settle into the city, the culture, the football, the language”.

And he told how he had “two Scottish kids and another one coming” during his near-decade in Glasgow.

The Scottish Court and Tribunal Service said: “It is policy to facilitate accused persons with an interpreter in all cases if the court deems this necessary.”

Scottish Tory Shadow Justice Secretary Jamie Greene MSP said many would be “aghast” at the hold-up.
Should have added the interpreter costs to the fine.
And the cost of the delays.

should have jailed him for wasting court time ontop of careless driving

Hebrew...a male teabag, should be plenty in the PF's office! ( stolen from my eight year old grandson)

Doing a post match interview and following court proceedings are quite different to be fair.

I don’t care for the guy for obvious reasons but it’s hardly his fault that the translator failed to show up either.

Translator Levi Caleb O’Shaughnessy apologised to Sheriff Murphy for his tardiness

Should have told them that he was speeding away from those jolly japesters that wanted to hang him, his wife and their kids from a lamppost.

Reactions: VGM
It's amazing the deflection tactics picked up whilst playing for that rancid club. Just ripping the piss out of the more than compliant Scottish justice system.

The area he was caught is notorious for traffic cops, turn off for bbriggs on the m80 turns into a 50 from a 70.
Been known to keep at 70 with my eyes peeled, but 95 is mental.

Needing an interpreter my arse. I too can say he speaks sufficient English as he sat next to me on a LHR flight and spoke fine.

If you can’t speak fluent English you shouldn’t be allowed to work in the country.
Footballers, businessmen, anyone in any walk of life.
My wife works for the NHS and the amount of resources the health services waste on translators for people that come to this country is sickening when you consider nurses are having to strike as they don’t get paid enough.
If you stop non-English speakers you solve the problem faced here with Biton and you save tons of money not least in the NHS, which is frankly all this country has left.

If you can’t speak fluent English you shouldn’t be allowed to work in the country.
My wife works for the NHS and the amount of resources the health services waste on translators for people that come to this country is sickening when you consider nurses are having to strike as they don’t get paid enough.
If you stop non-English speakers you solve the problem faced here with Biton and you save tons of money not least in the NHS, which is frankly all this country has left.
So if you're not fluent to the extent you can follow legal proceedings in a court of law in a second language then you shouldn't be able to have any job, including footballer? Haha are you just and FF bot rather than a real person?

Half the cúnts who are Glaswegian can barely speak the language to any level that one would deem acceptable.

Your argument is also foolish as you can break the speed limit of a country without actually working in that country. Bloody foreigners.

Having met the guy I can tell you for a fact his English is better than half the folk on this forum.

What a lot of utter, racist shite

Even a native English speaker could have a problem following court proceedings, but surely that's why lawyers are there? I'm sure his brief would have been able to clear up anything that was unclear. It was a speeding offence after all, not exactly a complex case.

Back