Madri makes its Debut at The Louden

Massive in Spain, allegedelly

Probably taste quite different over there I bet? I was pretty surprised at how different Peroni is in Italy, for example. They reckon it's something to do with the water. No idea how true that is mind you.

As an aside the Italians fucking LOVE Tennents Super. For sale in just about every bar, cafe or shop we went into.

No, just like nice tasting beer.

Nothing worse when you get a decent pint like Moretti then they start brewing it in the UK and it tastes nothing like the original.
As I said, I have no idea what any of them tastes like, People asked me to stock it and I did.
It's actually brewed in the UK according to the guys who are installing it

Are you sure about that?

Why would a ‘Spanish style’ beer that’s brewed (exclusively?) in the UK be on sale in Spain?

Would they not just sell actual Spanish beer?
That's why I said allegedly lol
I think they bought a small Spanish Brewery and tapped into the sexy-sounding foreign names, a bit like the EPL

Madri is awful.
Like, properly awful.

Yet another fake beer.
A Spanish beer brewed in the UK.

Guinness is the only decent pint on that list.

And before anyone asks, if we’re talking lager, I’d have a Furstenberg, Hofbrau, Lowenbrau, Pilsner Urquell, Estrella or Moretti off the top of my head.

As long as it’s not ruined by being brewed over here, which, sadly, is now the case with Moretti.
Never even heard of some of those beers. Do you drink them down the local dressage club?

Is Madri even sold in Spain?

Was it not invented in the UK as Estrella and Moretti were selling so well?

Nothing more than good marketing and lots of gullible people.

It really is a terrible beer, though.
No idea if it's sold in Spain. Its quite clearly not 'terrible' though or it wouldn't sell as much.

You not liking something doesn't automatically make it terrible

No idea if it's sold in Spain. Its quite clearly not 'terrible' though or it wouldn't sell as much.

You not liking something doesn't automatically make it terrible

It’s not sold in Spain.

It’s heavily rumoured in the industry to be Coors Light with an added hop extract.
Don’t know if that’s true, though.

Some amount of beer Snobs on here lol

Correct. Just get Tennents in and be done with it. :D
It’s not sold in Spain.

It’s heavily rumoured in the industry to be Coors Light with an added hop extract.
Don’t know if that’s true, though.

Didn't know that. I don't mind a pint of Coors. Madri definitely has a hop/heaviness to it that I just can't get on with. Few of the lads I drink with really like it though.

Delighted to hear this has happened.
Had it on draught at a few of the pop-up bars at The Fringe in August and it was the best lager on the go.

Spoke to Robert about it and he told me it was going to become available in The Louden. Really looking forward to trying it in there at the Hibs game

Tried a pint of it in Ambleside in the summer. Assuming that it was kept correctly, I wouldn’t gargle with it to be honest.

Madri is sold in Spain. FACT lol

Spain also has quite a regional market, where different beers are more popular in and around regions where they’re brewed (for example that Cruzcampo pish is based in Sevilla, and it’s seemingly everywhere, but rarely in Malaga), makes sense I suppose. But some travel the length and breadth if the whole package is right.

I think the Madri in Spain is quite nice FWIW.

Is Madri even sold in Spain?

Was it not invented in the UK as Estrella and Moretti were selling so well?

Nothing more than good marketing and lots of gullible people.

It really is a terrible beer, though.

Madri is just really good marketing. You have to give them credit for it. I had it on tap in the Gallant Pioneer in July 2021 and really liked it. Had it since in bottles and I thought it as bang average.

I think Heineken have an ace up their sleeve for the future - Paulaner Munchner Hell. They own a percentage of the Paulaner brewery.

Madri is sold in Spain. FACT lol

Spain also has quite a regional market, where different beers are more popular in and around regions where they’re brewed (for example that Cruzcampo pish is based in Sevilla, and it’s seemingly everywhere, but rarely in Malaga), makes sense I suppose. But some travel the length and breadth if the whole package is right.

I think the Madri in Spain is quite nice FWIW.
Well that puts an abrupt end to everyone saying it's not sold in Spain B-)

The Louden has had major refurbishments of its Servery Bars and Cellars since the World Cup break.
We have now added Madri to our list of Draught choices.
We now have 60 Fonts in both the Bar ( an extra 4 ) and 60 fonts in the Lounge
( an extra 20)
We sell Carling, Staropraman, Coors, Madri, Strongbow Dark Fruit, Strongbow Original, Guinness, and Belhaven Best.
Unfortunately because of the amount of work undertaken, it's possible that the Beer Garden will not have draught available until the Hibs game on Thursday, but you will be able to buy a pint and take it into the Beer Garden.
It's not the scenario that we wanted but we will continue to strive to upgrade The Louden as much as possible.
The Louden will be open at 11 am on Saturday with our usual conditions.
Is that your complete selection?

No Tennents in a Glasgow establishment?

Madri is awful.
Like, properly awful.

Yet another fake beer.
A Spanish beer brewed in the UK.

Guinness is the only decent pint on that list.

And before anyone asks, if we’re talking lager, I’d have a Furstenberg, Hofbrau, Lowenbrau, Pilsner Urquell, Estrella or Moretti off the top of my head.

As long as it’s not ruined by being brewed over here, which, sadly, is now the case with Moretti.
In your opinion of course

Next challenge: any chance of a better cider than Strongbow?

Yes, I know - popularity/sales etc. Get Thatchers or something in as a trial, anyone buying Strongbow when you have a decent cider on tap is a wrong ‘un.
I'm supping Strongbow just now. Feck all wrong with it!

Was on the Henry Westons a few nights ago, far superior but feckin lethal.

Back