Manager on transfer targets for January

on the point about scottish players, if Rangers want to sign them it puts their club in a tough position if the player is desperate to come to Ibrox. They can knock back some bids ofcourse but they could end up with an unhappy player... I think we should have signed Ferguson.

I didnt want Ferguson and nor did a lot of our support but hes a country mile better than some of the Scottish names we have heard

Holly crap

Comment from the AGM in that “we need Scottish players” speaks volumes.

New deal for Jack and Arfeild. Wright will be going nowhere. We’ll prob go and end up recruiting Porteous after all. If either of Kenny McLean or Fleck are out of contract then we’ll prob make approaches for them.
Arfield isn’t classed as Scottish but surely?

He and Jack must be shown the door

I’m all for playing Scottish players, but only if they are good enough, I don’t want squad fillers , and I only want those that want to play for rangers , no more incidents of club haters like ohalloran signing for us.

on the point about scottish players, if Rangers want to sign them it puts their club in a tough position if the player is desperate to come to Ibrox. They can knock back some bids ofcourse but they could end up with an unhappy player... I think we should have signed Ferguson.
We should have; some of us argued for it at the time.

Arfield isn’t classed as Scottish but surely?

He and Jack must be shown the door

He comes under the “Nation grown” category. Doesn’t necessarily need to be Scottish.

I think this is also what Wilson was referring to when he said we need Scottish players (a combination of actual Scottish players and “foreign” players who were developed in Scotland)

I think King could go on loan for remainder of season if and it’s a big if we get a new CB and the others stay fit.

King is a good player a very good player! I think a lot forget his age and it’s his breakout season.

Give him a season or two and he will be head and shoulders above any other defender we have. I honestly feel like he will be our next big sellable asset.
Haven't seen any evidence of this tbh

Ryan Porteous is a decent defender. He could easily be coached into a very good defender.

We can’t let that go by us. If he is at the right price.

Need to be quicker at getting younger players. Connor Barron would be a decent shout. So would Ali McCann at Preston. Should have signed him when he left St. J.
Don't understand why we didn't do that, seemed as close to a no brainer as is humanly possible.

This coming from the guy who was constantly greeting about people wanting to sign Lewis Ferguson, he’s doing pretty well over in Serie A.
At least I deal with reality and I'm not a happy clapper, Ferguson played against us many times and showed nothing much to be excited about.

Just because he is doing well in Italy is no guarantee he would do well for us.

How much of him being shocking is Gio's abysmal tactics?
Matondo is a player who thrives running onto the ball on the front foot, utilising his pace.
He's never been a player who backs into defenders and uses strength or hold up play.

Gio and his slow, turgid football had him taking the ball to feet with a defender up his arse so he couldn't get turned and use any of his main attributes. That no doubt helped destroy his confidence as well. To a slightly lesser degree, he destroyed Ryan Kent in the same way having him just hang out on the line with a defender right up behind him.

I suppose it could come down to both sides being at failure, Wilson signing players clearly not fitting into Gio's tactics, and Gio not playing to the strength of his signings. I think both are to blame.

I wouldn't be shocked if Beale likes the look of him and can play to his strengths.
Let’s hope so mate you could be right I’ve maybe been too harsh on the boy and take
You probably Said exactly the same about Lundstram last year and were one of the fans that shots at young players trying to make their way.

Matondo might well come good.
is that right aye which young players have I had shots at and when did I say anything about lundstram if you could clear that up thanks.

Well watch his games. When he concentrates in playing football as opposed to being the pantomime villain he is a decent raw defender. He could seriously improve.

Good coaching and he is a definite international player.
A bet you one of the ones that said Ohalleron was brilliant and we should sign him he’s very fast etc turned out to be pish.

A thug who glassed a woman? A thug that has tried in every game we have played against him to injure our players or get them sent off?

Have a word with yourself mate.

I agree on him as a person mate, how could I not.

Football fans are fickle though, it doesn’t feel that long ago that Gazza stuck the nut on his wife and there was concern that dropping him would hinder our 9 in a row push.

My point being - if he came in and was really good, he would be supported.

Personally speaking - I would rather we gave him a miss!!

At least I deal with reality and I'm not a happy clapper, Ferguson played against us many times and showed nothing much to be excited about.

Just because he is doing well in Italy is no guarantee he would do well for us.
Exactly. Had we signed him he would have been red carded regularly would have struggled with the expectations. Best move he could make is getting out of Scotland.

Ryan Porteous is a decent defender. He could easily be coached into a very good defender.

We can’t let that go by us. If he is at the right price.

Need to be quicker at getting younger players. Connor Barron would be a decent shout. So would Ali McCann at Preston. Should have signed him when he left St. J.

He is an absolute liability

Recruiting out-of-contract young players from England under cross border deals like Aribo for £300,000 in the past is what we should be looking at. Beale has some experience of the Championship and we all can watch highlights every week on ITV4 to name a few.

I selected forwards out of contract at end of season and sorted by youngest -

Last edited:
Porteous should not be signed as he simply isn’t good enough.

If we get hung up on association trained players then we will always be hamstrung by their limitations.

For too long we’ve focused on quantity over quality, we need players who can come in and are ready to impact straight away at our level.

We should be looking for 2/3 players for the starting 11 every year over the two windows and the starting 11 will regenerate itself naturally over a 3/4 year period. These 2/3 might cost you £15-£20M per season but you get that back by selling just one.

If the club are serious about a player trading model then they need to invest in better players.

When it comes to Scottish players for the quota could we not just promote our own youth players like McCann, King etc rather than have squad fillers. Develop our own that way by exposure to first team demands, saves money and benefits us in the long run if they turn out to be decent
You realise McCann doesn’t qualify and Kings not ready he needs loaned out.

Recruiting out-of-contract young players from England under cross border deals like Aribo for £300,000 in the past is what we should be looking at. Beale has some experience of the Championship and we all can watch highlights every week on ITV4 to name a few.
I'm not disagreeing with the concept you are talking about.

However Michael Beale, simply does not have the luxury of time. The manager has just two transfer windows (Jan and the summer) to get what has to be almost entirely a brand new team up and running that can qualify for next season's CL group stages.

That might seem unrealistic to you, but that is the frank, brutal and harsh reality of the matter.

When it comes to Scottish players for the quota could we not just promote our own youth players like McCann, King etc rather than have squad fillers. Develop our own that way by exposure to first team demands, saves money and benefits us in the long run if they turn out to be decent

Under 21 they dont need to be registered in euro squad. I think that means that they dont count to home or nation trained until 21.

Porteous should not be signed as he simply isn’t good enough.

If we get hung up on association trained players then we will always be hamstrung by their limitations.

For too long we’ve focused on quantity over quality, we need players who can come in and are ready to impact straight away at our level.

We should be looking for 2/3 players for the starting 11 every year over the two windows and the starting 11 will regenerate itself naturally over a 3/4 year period. These 2/3 might cost you £15-£20M per season but you get that back by selling just one.

If the club are serious about a player trading model then they need to invest in better players.
If we don’t sign Scottish players we end up with a Euro squad of 17 players.

I actually don’t think he’s that bad a player and if it was the on field stuff and even the picture with Alfie wouldn’t be an issue in my eyes.

But desecration of somebody’s shrine and throwing tumblers at women he shouldn’t be anywhere near us.
If we need Porteous to help us in European football then we should forget European football.

Is Porteous any worse than Broadfoot was when we signed him and he contributed plenty?
He's a throbber and a bit of a liabilty but that could be coached out of him, he'd have contributed much more this season than Souttar has and would have played plenty.

Is Porteous any worse than Broadfoot was when we signed him and he contributed plenty?
He's a throbber and a bit of a liabilty but that could be coached out of him, he'd have contributed much more this season than Souttar has and would have played plenty.

I'd say he was.

Continually switches off and loses his man (he's sold a few goals against us), plus his discipline is a liability, particularly for a central defender.

I'd say he was.

Continually switches off and loses his man (he's sold a few goals against us), plus his discipline is a liability, particularly for a central defender.
The same was said about Ryan Jack and he turned that around (eventually).

I'd say he was.

I wouldn’t, big Kirk was a trier, but at best he was bang average, still managed a good career though as he was coached properly by Walter and had good guys at the back helping him.

I wouldn’t, big Kirk was a trier, but at best he was bang average, still managed a good career though as he was coached properly by Walter and had good guys at the back helping him.

Fair enough mate, opinions and all that.
I've seen Porteous switch off too many times and lose his man.

Hibs currently sit 8th in a pretty ordinary league and Porteous has been individually responsible for some poor goals they've conceded this season.

I agree Broadfoot was limited, but he was at least pretty athletic, with a decent turn of foot.
He was also very 2 footed and mobile enough to play anywhere across a back 4 or 5.

We'll need to agree to disagree on the ability of Porteous.

Exactly. Had we signed him he would have been red carded regularly would have struggled with the expectations. Best move he could make is getting out of Scotland.
But you say Porteous should be signed, how do you know he wont struggle with expectations or get carded more often same as you believe Ferguson would have ?

If you mean hes on a free, contract up so less risk then fair enough.

Back