The Hits and Misses of Ross Wilson's time at Rangers

Gavin Berry used to write for Rangers News

Edit. Not entirely sure why it says jury out given the text he actually wrote

Last edited:
My biggest takeaway from that list is that we are signing too many players.

We have to stop gambling on crocks and semi-crocks.

Tillman is in the balance for me. He is going to be a big hit somewhere in the next couple of years. I'm just not sure we can put the time and effort into it being with us. I really hope Beale can make something of him.

Jury’s out on Tom Lawrence.

In the same boat as Souttar and Matondo.

Ok :D

Sands a hit? Right then
The jury is out on Lawrence, he was only in a month then injured.
All and all, shocking return from RW.
He may defend it at the AGM with the nonsense about Soutar, but he is and will continue to make mistakes.
I hope the board ear mark him to be sacked in the near future.

My biggest takeaway from that list is that we are signing too many players.

We have to stop gambling on crocks and semi-crocks.

Tillman is in the balance for me. He is going to be a big hit somewhere in the next couple of years. I'm just not sure we can put the time and effort into it being with us. I really hope Beale can make something of him.

We have to put the time and effort into developing players. We can't afford to sign the finished article.

Will be interesting to see if there is any change in some of the players under the new manager. Mainly looking at the likes of Matondo, Sands, Sakala and Tillman who could really kick on if the coaching team can get the best out of them and they are played where they are most effective and understand their role.

We have the biggest two transfer windows coming up that will define Beale and Wilson.
No compassion for crocks and old players or we will have major problems for years.
The following need to go, Helander, Jack, Davis, Morelos, Kent, Arfield, Mcgregor, Sands and Tillman.
Possibly either Barasic or Yilmaz as well.
Roofe and Mclauchlin have contracts for 18 months, no extensions and get rid of sooner if possible.
Wright - sell
Kamara? depends on his attitude.
I dont rate Lundstram .

Too early to judge Ross Wilson, overall; it also has to said that for a great many, he seems to be nothing more than a glorified chief scout.

The layers we have actually spent mney on by and large have been succesful. The bosmans and loans are hit and miss, which is exactly what you would expect from that market.

It's not easy to say great things about Scott Wright in the face of a lot of criticism he receives, but there definitely is potential for him to be a far better Rangers player than he has shown so far; it may be that he tries too hard to prove his worth, but when he doesn't seem to be doing that he can be good. He is very good in the ball when he wants to be, as his lay off for Kamara against Leipzig and his SC Final goal demonstrates.

Bit harsh on Scott Wright imo, started both semi final legs and the final of the Europa League
Probably due to injuries more than anything

Having said that at least he is reliable on the injury front, which is more than can be said for a lot of his teammates who'll be on higher wages.

Out of 26 I very very fairly gave him 10 hits. Probably should be 8 but let hagi and roofe slide as they have played vital parts at times

Have been positive and gave him Davies and ridvan as I think personally they will come good

Context: Not a Ross Wilson praise post.​

To be honest, it goes beyond 'was the signing a successful player for Rangers'... and should take into consideration both value and profit.

The question really is: Which of Ross Wilson's signings were good for the business?

My opinion:
Hits​
Misses​
50/50​
Too early to tell​
Hagi
Bassey
McLaughlin
Defo
Balogun
Lundstram
Bacuna*
Colak
Lawrence**​
Kamberi
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Zukowski
Ramsey
Souttar​
Roofe**
Diallo***
Sands
Wright***
Sakala***​
Matondo
Tillman
Yilmaz
Davies
Oforboh​
* Shite player but made a profit?
** Only if they remain injury free (or injured at a normal rate)
*** Value for money signing. If high wages would be a miss, but could still move to Hit.

If Wilson is to be judged on first-team signings, should we also be judging him on academy players such as:

Charlie Lindsay
Tony Weston
Charlie McCann
Juan Alegria
Zak Lovelace

As well as considering transfers away from Rangers (transfers only, not contract expiry or loan returns):

Correct decisionCorrect decision, poor dealWrong decision
Grezda
Herrera
Holt
Polster
Docherty
McCrorie
Edmundson
Jones
Patterson
Bacuna
Itten
Hastie
Bassey
Middleton
Simpson
Katic​
Dire Mebude*
Dapo Mebude*
Barker**​
Aribo***​
* Should have got more money
** Was leaving on a free best?
*** Should have sold earlier to get a higher fee

Finally, contracts:

Good managementBad managementNeither good nor bad
Patterson*
Davis
McGregor
Tavernier
Balogun
Defoe
Kamara
McLaughlin
Lowry
Arfield​
Balogun**
Goldson***
Aribo****
Kent****
Morelos****​
Firth​
* Got us a good fee
** Should have stayed
*** Took far too long to sort
**** Should have sold them earlier, for bigger profit

Jury is still out on Tillman for me. Sands is a miss as is Roofe, purely based on his lack of availability versus what we paid for him.
Roofe was our top scorer in the 55 season, he single handedly dragged us to a good few wins with some very important goals when the league was still tight. He’s a hit for me as he was worth the money for that season alone. Probably a miss in the grand scheme of things though availability wise, taking that season away.

To be honest, it goes beyond 'was the signing a successful player for Rangers'... and should take into consideration both value and profit.

The question really is: Which of Ross Wilson's signings were good for the business?

My opinion:
Hits​
Misses​
50/50​
Too early to tell​
Hagi
Bassey
McLaughlin
Defo
Balogun
Lundstram
Bacuna*
Colak
Lawrence**​
Kamberi
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Zukowski
Ramsey
Souttar​
Roofe**
Diallo***
Sands
Wright***
Sakala***​
Matondo
Tillman
Yilmaz
Davies
Oforboh​
*** Value for money signing. If high wages would be a miss, but could still move to Hit.

If Wilson is to be judged on first-team signings, should we also be judging him on academy players such as:

Charlie Lindsay
Tony Weston
Charlie McCann
Juan Alegria
Zak Lovelace

As well as considering transfers away from Rangers (transfers only, not contract expiry or loan returns):

Grezda
Herrera
Holt
Polster
Docherty
McCrorie
Edmundson
Jones
Patterson
Bacuna
Itten
Hastie
Bassey
Middleton
Simpson
Katic​
Dire Mebude*
Dapo Mebude*
Barker**​
Aribo***​

Finally, contracts:

Patterson*
Davis
McGregor
Tavernier
Balogun
Defoe
Kamara
McLaughlin
Lowry
Arfield​
Balogun**
Goldson***
Aribo****
Kent****
Morelos****​
Firth​
* Got us a good fee
** Should have stayed
When exactly do you think we should have sold Aribo?

I reckon Wright's not bad and is a net positive as a signing. He was cheap, he's stayed fit and he's consistently put the effort in, as well as filling in where needed when called upon. I think ultimately he has been a good signing for £150k. He's not a world beater and he's not an impressive player by our standards, but we need decent squad players and he's done that well

Gerrard wanted him when he first arrived at the club. This was not one of Wilson's as he wasn't there at the first interest we had.
I don’t really like saying someone signed player X and someone signed player Y, as the recruitment team/manager work in tandem with each other.

You’ll see people use different players to support/criticise members of the recruitment team. So I don’t really think it’s fair in the main.

However, as you say Gerrard wanted Simpson when he first came in and alluded to as much himself when Simpson eventually signed.

I don’t really like saying someone signed player X and someone signed player Y, as the recruitment team/manager work in tandem with each other.

You’ll see people use different players to support/criticise members of the recruitment team. So I don’t really think it’s fair in the main.

However, as you say Gerrard wanted Simpson when he first came in and alluded to as much himself when Simpson eventually signed.
I was just about to edit the post to say that transfers will be a collective effort but some are more a personal choice of one member than others.

When exactly do you think we should have sold Aribo?

It comes down to timing and maximising profitability - hindsight is, of course, wonderful.

We sold Aribo for £6m, with 1 year left on his contract. I've no idea how much he was on, but pretending it was £20k a week, is about £1m a year in wages. Had he run down his contract and left for free (like it looks like Morelos and Kent might), I would argue that we would have not seen £1m worth of value from an extra year of Aribo.

So I find myself thinking, had we sold Aribo in the summer of 2021, after winning 55, would we have gotten more than £5m (his actual fee, less the £1m wages we paid for the following season) for him? The answer is probably yes, right?

If we'd sold him summer of 2021, for £10m, we're £5m better off and did we get £5m of value from Aribo in 21/22? Probably not.

Of course, you can only sell, when someone wants to buy, but his stock was at its highest summer of 21.

My opinion:
Hits​
Misses​
50/50​
Too early to tell​
Hagi
Bassey
McLaughlin
Defo
Balogun
Lundstram
Bacuna*
Colak
Lawrence**​
Kamberi
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Zukowski
Ramsey
Souttar​
Roofe**
Diallo***
Sands
Wright***
Sakala***​
Matondo
Tillman
Yilmaz
Davies
Oforboh​

Charlie Lindsay
Tony Weston
Charlie McCann
Juan Alegria
Zak Lovelace

Grezda
Herrera
Holt
Polster
Docherty
McCrorie
Edmundson
Jones
Patterson
Bacuna
Itten
Hastie
Bassey
Middleton
Simpson
Katic​
Dire Mebude*
Dapo Mebude*
Barker**​
Aribo***​

Finally, contracts:

Patterson*
Davis
McGregor
Tavernier
Balogun
Defoe
Kamara
McLaughlin
Lowry
Arfield​
Balogun**
Goldson***
Aribo****
Kent****
Morelos****​
Firth​
* Got us a good fee
** Should have stayed
Great post, but I would still regard Souttar as 'Too early to tell'.

Back