Is it time to bring back the booze to football?

Anybody that wants to be pished at the football does it, with the greatest of ease. People leaving early to go to a boozer would still do so. Clubs are as well trying to punt bevvy to whoever wants it but I doubt it would be much of a difference to the general mindset. Plus it would be about two percent strength.

Maybe they should get a drug baron in to cater for the key sniffers... Thats where the real money is :D

Im undecided on this. On one hand the drinking culture in Scotland will mean folk spend more time in the concourses and there could be a rise in flashpoints.

On the other hand, a lot of folk who want a drink smuggle it in anyway. Which would bring revenue to the game.

A trial period would probably be best way to go.

Also, was it ever actually 'allowed' years ago? Before my time but I always thought people sneaked their bevvy in and plod just turned a blind eye.

The queues at the kiosks are long enough as it is anyway, mega at St Johnstone yesterday, they must've missed a good bit of the match waiting to get served.

If you can't go 90/120 minutes without a pie, burger or a cold hot dog, then chuck it and don't get me wrong I love a good nosh up.

They can barely serve pies and bovril at Ibrox so no chance they could manage beer too :))

I usually have enough before I go in so I'm not bothered. It#s very rare that I bother with bevvy at Accy games now as the novelty wore off years ago.

We had a thread recently about people unhappy and arguing about people vaping.

I am sure the guy in the middle of the row constantly going for beer and a piss during the game will go down well.

I dont drink anymore, but the notion thst people don’t drink at football is ludicrous.

Show pony politics, superficial and ineffective in reality. Another example of politicians over-bearing treatment of football fans. The two single worst examples of alcohol-related public disorder I’ve witnessed were a Take That concert and when Scotland beat France. It was like a tartan vomit apocalypse.

Anyway, there wasnt a game that passed where I didnt have a half time snifter prepared, on top of the hours leading up, regardless of a token kick-off time change. Most people at a 12.30 Sunday kick off have been on it all night.

Pointless legislation.

These threads always attract the usual pish from people that have never been to a domestic game down south.

- Some people get into the ground early and have one or two inside the concourse.
- Barely anyone sneaks booze in.
- Queues and limits mean you can’t realistically get more than two pints of weak beer/cider at half time.
- The alcohol must be consumed in the concourse and isn’t allowed to be consumed in view of the pitch.

But aye, it’ll be carnage, Scottish people can’t be trusted (the English are angels) blah, blah, blah.

The real issue would be the fact that the shitty facilities up here couldn’t manage it.

If kiosks poured and sold the beer in a quick and efficient way and you couldn't take the drink to your seat then I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a trial.

Not selling booze isn't exactly stopping drunk fans, the neds will turn up half-cut or drunk anyway.

Fans could go in an hour before KO and spend an extra tenner on a couple of pints.

If 10% of the stadium did that, we'd bring in £50k per home match.

The nick a good number of bears were in last night I'd dread to think what it would be like if they could keep bevvying.
I'm old enough to have been at games before the ban. It was never people having two or three pints.
You mean when people could take their own cargo in with them? I don’t think anyone is suggesting going back to that in 2023.

30/35 mins on the clock and the subway loyal would be put to shame..

When down south, my mate heads down about then to get the drinks in, as going at half time whistle, you have next to no chance.

Bloody hell the SNP are currently on an anti booze crusade I doubt very much that our dear leader would countenance such a thing.

Personally I doubt the huge numbers of morons who go to football could be trusted with a packet of wine gums never mind unlimited bevy.

Obviously an exception could be made for pious Partick Thistle fans as the are all fine upstanding chaps.

If it was sold like any other normal drink and people were normal, sure.

In Scottish football grounds though, people would be fighting each other just to overpay for a watered down pint.

Back