Is it time to bring back the booze to football?

At euro games the past few seasons, there's been a ton of empty bucky and MD bottles kicked under my seat every time. I don't thinkbthat would change if we started serving watered down Carling at 2/3 percent.

I don't mind, but they could at least offer me a swig before dumping them on me.

A pint at half time will cripple pubs on PRW?
I never said anything about half time. Its the 2 hours drinking in the stadium before the game would cripple some pubs on prw

Or do you believe all the people currently drinking in the pubs before the game would continue to spend as much in the pub, all the drinks sold at Ibrox would be 'net new', people that currently do not have a beer before the game?

The nick a good number of bears were in last night I'd dread to think what it would be like if they could keep bevvying.
I'm old enough to have been at games before the ban. It was never people having two or three pints.
You were there when stadiums sold alcohol? When was that?

We can't be trusted in Scotland. The violent arsehole thugs ruin it for the normal people and always will. Then there's the drug use on top of that which would leave it as a recipe for disaster.

Completely agree…. sadly!

I think being penalised and having restrictions placed on you based purely on the type of sporting event you’re attending it ludicrous. Not being allowed to serve alcohol in a stadium where there’s a football match being played yet a week later serving pints because it’s rugby that’s being played is as ludicrous as it is archaic.

However the state some folk arrive at Ibrox in is disgusting and that’s with them not being allowed to drink within the stadium. And if anyone thinks Ibrox is bad, head to a Scotland game at Hampden! The level is drunken ar*eholes is off the scale! It’s just a day out to get as hammered as possible for far too many.

At euro games the past few seasons, there's been a ton of empty bucky and MD bottles kicked under my seat every time. I don't thinkbthat would change if we started serving watered down Carling at 2/3 percent.

I don't mind, but they could at least offer me a swig before dumping them on me.
It would be Tennents ;)

I really don’t get the naysayers, and I can take or leave a drink.

How long are the concourses open for? Not that long for people to get pissed in what would basically be watered down piss water.

And if it’s a demographic, class-based assumption everyone’s going along with. i.e. middle class rugby versus working class fitba then that’s bullish!t. Look at the Hydro, thousands of fann!es drinking crap lager. Out of 15,000 you’ll get a handful of arrests.

We already sit with folk coked out there nut, a nice cheap tumblr of lager would wash down the dry throat from the charlie.

At Ajax you have a card which you top up with cash (unless that's changed in the last 5 years or so) which would make tracking who's buying what and possibly capping it a possibility if the concern is that some daft arse will buy 12 pints and make a tit of themselves. For those that are saying there's no need to drink in the stadium, it's a form of entertainment and you can pretty much buy a beer in every other entertainment setting. Treating us like we're incapable of behaving responsibly when the current system only encourages people to front-load or sneak things in doesn't stack up.

Where are you getting the 2hrs from? You're just making things up. At the most it would be open an hour before kick off
It would be from when the gates open which is 90 minutes to 2 hours before kick off.

The bars on prw sell loads of beer in the 2 hours before the game

do you not believe a huge number of those people would drink in the stadium rather than the pub and give money to the club?

They've managed to sell alcohol at football grounds in England without much incident so there's little reason as to why it shouldn't be sold up here. I also think it could make a decent amount of money although I don't think the Scottish Government will allow it to happen.

image.jpg
Alan McLaren approves this. “Think of all the pints I confiscate from fans” the ex-Ger stated.

Aye its far weaker 0% in Spanish stadiums.
Any idea when that law came in in Spain? Sure at the Seville derby in 2009 I was drinking proper beer. You can drink proper out of the top two tiers over there, been to a few matches and done it. Put me off Spanish Football a bit that you can't drink in top two tiers to tell truth.

I never said I didn't want it, I want what makes Rangers the most money and that would be NEH and Sports Bar
The expense of introducing drinks in the Concourses would be a waste of time, busy fools
Do you mean equipment and the extra staff would mean the profits wouldn’t be worth it?

dipping raw hot dogs into flat, lukewarm lager to cook them - lots of solutions to different problem

If you go to a decent cinema you can buy a beer and watch the film. If you go to the dogs, you can buy a few beers. If you go to a decent theatre, you can buy a wine and watch the show.

Why don't they just wait as well?
it's part of the enjoyment when i went to the rugby with my son, a beer during the game then able to sit in the 'clubhouse' really just gym hall and have a beer pre/half time/post match.

I'd keep it the way it is, neck a few pints & a couple of half's then sober up at the game.
The queue at the food stalls would be packed with bams like me ordering 6 pints of lager to see me through the first half B-D

Sort of thing that should probably be trialled at Hampden for Scotland games first. I personally can’t see it ever being repealed.

Back