Taxis in Glasgow

Ulster Loyal 55

Over for the match this weekend and wondering what availability of taxis is like on a Saturday nite in the City Centre after midnight?? Headin back to Go Urban beside the ground.

Over for the match this weekend and wondering what availability of taxis is like on a Saturday nite in the City Centre after midnight?? Headin back to Go Urban beside the ground.
Plenty of ranks, after midnight the queues aren’t too bad. They get long and at times unruly a couple of hours later.

You could always book a private taxi via the reception in the hotel to pick you up at a certain time.

Bear in mind that this is pay weekend for a lot of people, and their first wage since Christmas.
A lot of them will have been corralled,for the past few weeks due to being skint.
This will be their first chance to get out and have a blowout, so the Cities, and Town centres will be hoaching.

Last edited:
You'll get a Hackney in town without too much bother and will cost about £13 plus a tip, or Uber on Saturday at midnight will be about £30 if you're desperate

Yes mate as others have said you’ll be fine. Main ranks at night at Central, George Sq and Sauchiehall St outside The Garage nightclub. They have stewards on them from midnight.

Was in the queue about 8pm outside central one night, this woman in front gets the next taxi, shouts her man over from the train station.
He comes over and they start arguing because he’d just bought 2 train tickets.
Top of his voice shouts “I’ve just bought tickets for the train ya fkn trumpet”
She starts hitting him, he hits the deck.
Mental

Not really helping the OP but I was reading about NYC taxi "medallions". Quite interesting(probably not for most)really that the amount of "medallions"(permit to work in NYC) are only in a limited supply and no new ones have been issued since its inception in the 1930s so these medallions can go for up to a million dollars.

Don’t go Uber. They will have their surcharge on a Saturday night and you will get fleeced.

It’s an option for an extra couple of quid.

Well worth it if he’s stuck in the town and just wanting back to his digs. Especially being in a city he’s not familiar with after midnight.

Private taxis phone number is 0141 774 3000 (glasgow go cabs) they also have their own app that you can pre order a taxi on.

Not really helping the OP but I was reading about NYC taxi "medallions". Quite interesting(probably not for most)really that the amount of "medallions"(permit to work in NYC) are only in a limited supply and no new ones have been issued since its inception in the 1930s so these medallions can go for up to a million dollars.
Similar in Glasgow mate.

Limited to 1400 plates issued by the council. They are technically non transferrable so people had them issued to limited companies so they can sell them on rather than surrender them to the council.

They were going for £40k at one point. Probably closer to £25k-30k in 2019.

Lower now.

If last weekend is anything to go by, black hacks in the town have started turning their meters off when it suits them to demand inflated flat fees.

As someone said above, the Glasgow taxis app is just like Uber.
Better, in my opinion, actually.

I tried for an Uber on a Friday afternoon from the village hotel, going to near George Square. They kept connecting, connecting, connecting to driver "nearby".
Tried Glasgow cabs, they were there in a minute.

Take care in the Go Urban on Saturday, the SNP are having a Burns Supper there with Herr Sturgeon in attendance :mad:

7-A0-B8511-6-AB3-4-AEE-98-CD-8-F3-B1587-EB2-E.webp

Never use hackneys from outside the central station or uber, these are modern day Dick Turpins.
Sourse a local private hire near the hotel you are staying in and use them.
Regarding the Black Hackneys, that's just not true. That's why literally thousands of people use them at the weekend.
Uber, as well as other Private Hire companies, will have a surcharge this weekend for sure as it'll be extremely busy due to being pay weekend. That's if they bother to turn up when you book one, as so many of them are now pirating all over the city centre waiting for an approach to charge £40 to Bridgeton etc. Many of them are not one bit interested in taking jobs from their radio systems.
So you wait in the Black Hackney taxi queue at Gordon Street (Central Station), George Square, etc, get into your taxi when you're first in the queue, give the driver your location, and he puts the meter on if you're going to any location within the city boundary (£4.60 + 30p extras which is what the council gave taxis to offset the rising cost of fuel). That's cheaper than Private Hire, and it's not a penny more than it would on any other night. Where is the 'Dick Turpin' in that?
If you're going outside the boundary the driver will offer you a fixed price or say "no sorry, I don't want to go beyond the boundary". Drivers can do that without breaking the terms of their licence.
Fixed prices are cash up front. Who wants to go to Ayr/Edindurgh/Stirling only to find the customer has no cash.

Anyone saying you will get a Hackney no bother haven’t been near the Gordon Street rank at midnight for a while. It is generally queued to Union Street and the reason I go for the last bus home.

Regarding the Black Hackneys, that's just not true. That's why literally thousands of people use them at the weekend.
Uber, as well as other Private Hire companies, will have a surcharge this weekend for sure as it'll be extremely busy due to being pay weekend. That's if they bother to turn up when you book one, as so many of them are now pirating all over the city centre waiting for an approach to charge £40 to Bridgeton etc. Many of them are not one bit interested in taking jobs from their radio systems.
So you wait in the Black Hackney taxi queue at Gordon Street (Central Station), George Square, etc, get into your taxi when you're first in the queue, give the driver your location, and he puts the meter on if you're going to any location within the city boundary (£4.60 + 30p extras which is what the council gave taxis to offset the rising cost of fuel). That's cheaper than Private Hire, and it's not a penny more than it would on any other night. Where is the 'Dick Turpin' in that?
If you're going outside the boundary the driver will offer you a fixed price or say "no sorry, I don't want to go beyond the boundary". Drivers can do that without breaking the terms of their licence.
Fixed prices are cash up front. Who wants to go to Ayr/Edindurgh/Stirling only to find the customer has no cash.
I speak from experience, i live outside Glasgow and previously the marshall at Gordon street spoke to drivers and quoted me £40, my local private hire whom i had assumed would be expensive as they had to travel to Glasgow quoted me £22.
I have no axe to grind thats just fact.

Last edited:
Loads around central station. Failing that set up an Uber account.
wouldnt use uber after i was bumped, a few of us had issues that night with them. long story short cost more to get from town to eastend than it did using a hack from the airport

Last edited:
Go on Just Eat and see if there are any city centre takeaways that will deliver out to Go Urban, will be £4-£5 delivery fee. Head to the takeaway, wait til driver is leaving with your order and there's your cheap taxi home and a post night out scran.
i have actually done this before in Barrhead,

I speak from experience, i live outside Glasgow and previously the marshall at Gordon street spoke to drivers and qouted me £40, my local private hire whom i had assumed would be expensive as they had to travel to Glasgow quoted me £22.
I have no axe to grind thats just fact.
I understand you have no axe to grind, but you called Black Hackneys modern day Dick Turpins. I'm saying they're not, and I explained why they're not.
As per my post. You live outside Glasgow. The driver can quote any price he wants to anywhere outside Glasgow. Most drivers will have a formula that they use to calculate a quote to every location outside the boundary, based on distance and how many drops. Some of them are unscrupulous and let their fellow drivers down by quoting extortionate prices. Most of them, as I know from experience when I lived in North Lanarkshire, offered what I considered a fair price.
I live inside the boundary now and I know my rights in terms of hiring a Glasgow licensed taxi. Inside the City of Glasgow boundary the driver must engage the meter and the passenger pays what's on the meter.
@Ulster Loyal 55 that's the information you need when hiring a Hackney taxi in Glasgow.

A major UK city is sure to have taxis available on a Saturday night after midnight.
You haven’t been paying attention mate.

Taxi trade in Glasgow has been decimated.

You can get a taxi but post midnight on a saturday you can expect a wait.

If I’m being honest pre booking won’t help as city to PRW ain't an attractive hire that drivers will be fighting to do.

If you are getting a hack remember its meter price and it’s easier to get one at the George Square rank. Central is busy and is serviced by a number charlatans.

Good luck.

Back