The Pyro Debate - be aware any demented responses will result in a banning

mdingwall

Administrator
It's a worthwhile debate to be had but the hatred some fans show for one another can be breath-taking - any incidents of that will see you banned.

For what 's worth - I'm for safe pyro on a scale that makes it worthwhile - not individual stragglers doing their own thing.

Last edited:
I’m not a huge fan of the pyros at the football, but will admit over the last couple of seasons the UB have improved their own personal use of them.

In the days of the lower divisions, it just looked really poor and amateurish, however I think they’re starting to nail the proper use of it.

It's a worthwhile debate to be had but the hatred some fans show for one another can be great-taking - any incidents of that will see you banned.

For what 's worth - I'm for safe pyro on a scale that makes it worthwhile - not individual stragglers doing their own thing.

Headline “people are going to be killed”?. My question is has anyone been killed?… I know someone got their hand blown to bits a year or two ago. It looks nice on the tv but being in the middle of it the smoke stinks. All in all I’m on the fence lol.

Pryo works in European football grounds where you have well organised ultras groups located in a safe standing area. Its part of European fan culture and they do it very well.

Can you take that and do something similar in all seater stadiums in Scotland where you have smaller fans groups that aren't as well organised? I'm not convinced. The reasons why it works well in European football are big reasons why it doesnt work in the UK.

If people want to use them properly and safely in a coordinated manner then I don't see the issue.

Watching the first 10 minutes of the LC semi-final through a dense fog wasn't ideal though.

It looks great but it can be quite dodgy, start of the season at Livi a couple of boys ran down the back of fans and let off smoke, couple of the older guys were struggling a bit and had to move to get a breath.

I’ll have a read of that!
I get the argument about safety and there have been burning incidents in football and those who suffer breathing difficulties but it looks spectacular and adds an intimidating and vibrancy to our support.
Always wondered if there is a safe way, we have indoor fireworks in this day and age so there must be a safe way of releasing some smoke outdoors?
Just seems draconian, you’re not allowed them and there’s no compromise.
Like that’s not a red rag to a bull with any generations youths. Tell me I can’t do it, I will do it

I love the look of them, just dislike when you get the rogue one that chucks it in amongst the fans rather than trackside.

I would rather people would focus more on making them safer and a way for them to be safely used in stadiums than the usual moan and ban. The police only want rid as it restricts their view and ability to criminalise fans.

Safe pyro organised well is amazing.

Idiots letting off one smoke bomb, chucking it in amongst fans or throwing the remains on the park/at folk is really what turns folk away from it.

As long as it's safe it looks class. No sure that some of the older fans will enjoy being seated in it right enough.

Organised safe pyro, everyone knows it wil happen, no one can complain, in an ideal world. Along the same lines of everyone standing in certain sections etc. All for improving the atmosphere and making it a spectacle.

Headline “people are going to be killed”?. My question is has anyone been killed?… I know someone got their hand blown to bits a year or two ago. It looks nice on the tv but being in the middle of it the smoke stinks. All in all I’m on the fence lol.
Same here mate. I think if done in a section where everyone is on board with it and the associated risks etc then it looks brilliant. Not as big a fan of it foisted onto those who would rather not be a part of it when there are displays at grounds that span the length of the stand etc. Just my personal opinion though.

I’ll have a read of that!
I get the argument about safety and there have been burning incidents in football and those who suffer breathing difficulties but it looks spectacular and adds an intimidating and vibrancy to our support.
Always wondered if there is a safe way, we have indoor fireworks in this day and age so there must be a safe way of releasing some smoke outdoors?
Just seems draconian, you’re not allowed them and there’s no compromise.
Like that’s not a red rag to a bull with any generations youths. Tell me I can’t do it, I will do it
In the MLS some teams have safe pyro. Some teams have designated people who are allowed to set them off in special areas and other teams have smoke zones so you know that if you are in there then there is a chance of a smoke going off.

There are safe pyro products out there. Can't post link from my phone but they've been used in Denmark and Norway in the past.
Agree it looks good but should be used carefully

I know someone got their hand blown to bits a year or two ago.
witnessed an incident like this couple years back not at a ground saw the aftermath guy with only a pinky left and bones on show was pretty gruesome tbf

The UB anytime been near when they have had a display are wearing suitable gloves and warned the people around them for burning etc they are doing what they can and its not going away so if there is genuine concern work with them

I think more to the point PS should do their job and not deflect it onto the Clubs
If PS is saying no pyro, they should take the necessary steps to prevent it from entering the grounds
Absolutely. To hell with personal responsibility. Nobody should be responsible for their own decisions. PS should have enough people on duty to search 49000 people to prevent this.

PS should also do more to prevent those drinking in the Louden from getting drunk.
Disgraceful.

I’m on the fence. Looks great and does add something but on the other hand I was behind the goals at Arbroath and that ended up a nightmare for us older fans. Young team had a ball right enough. I can’t post it but it’s on YouTube ‘Union Bears at Arbroath’

There is no debate to be had. They are banned and rightly so. One child already injured is one too many.

Then you add in the behaviour of those using them who think nothing of throwing them onto the park or throw the caps on etc

Not worth it for a couple of pictures to boast about online.

The use of safe pyro would be too difficult to police efficiently and fans have already shown they cannot be trusted to self police and put the health and wellbeing of other fans before looking good

All for it, adds to the spectacle and atmosphere at games.

Also highly hypocritical of clubs who use photos of pyrotechnic displays to try and eradicate it, though understand why they have to do it.

Absolutely. To hell with personal responsibility. Nobody should be responsible for their own decisions. PS should have enough people on duty to search 49000 people to prevent this.

Read the post again it was about putting the buck with PS and not the club being the issue nothing to do with those who use pyro

I don't like it, I don't see what it brings to the game or the atmosphere. But I realise I'm in a minority on that. Maybe seen too many fireworks injuries over the years, and aware of the safety precautions when using flares.

Back