Joe Garner

Met him once, nice enough fella.

Just not the type of player we wanted or needed. One goal wonder.

12 clubs and 4 spells with Carlisle.

If ever there was a journeyman.

He was awful. Decent with his head, Genuinely struggled to kick a ball cleanly at times. Such a strange signing, in a summer full of them.

What a diddy he was. Warburton doing dodgy deals for himself and his daughter. Garner was the antithesis of the system his manager wanted to play.
Antithesis you say...

chewin-the-fat-fancy-cheese-baguette-modus-operandi.gif

Such an odd signing at the time, he seemed to be the opposite of everything Warburton was trying to do
The same with virtually all the signing that season. We went from younger players, done of whom had maybe lost their way after early promise, to signing washed up has beens like Barton, Krancjar and (if you're being very charitable) Sender's

I wonder if there was any truth to the rumour we could have got Tammy Abraham on loan for a season for a similar outlay.

Got to be probably one of the most ill thought out signing ever. At a time where money was tight we spent nearly 2 mill on a guy who never fit the set system at the time.

Genuinely frightening how far we have come as a club. Joe garner mans rotten and that was only 5 years ago

Met him at York races in 2018, his mates kept saying ”how could you guys even think of making up a song about him?”

Decent guy, happy to chat to us as we were all bears.

First ever cool story bro :cool::cool:
He cost more than Alfie. And over half of Hagi. It was a roller-coaster for sure :)
Was there not some story that warburtons daughter ran the agency he was associated to

What game was it when he came on at half time, gets a goal, sends someone 10ft in the air, another boy off on a stretcher after sticking the nut in him, goes up the tunnel for 10 minutes to do a jobby & comes back to complete his hat trick?

He was awful. Decent with his head, Genuinely struggled to kick a ball cleanly at times. Such a strange signing, in a summer full of them.
This pretty much sums up my memory of him. That and backing into players and throwing himself to the ground. He didn’t do subtlety our Joe.

Did he not end up in Cyprus playing for a while?

He was awful - and his song was even worse

Hat trick v Hamilton tho

yes he was bang average, but by god I loved him.

If every Ranger had that heart we would be in a better place.

The Hamilton game is a classic :D

We played Celtic in the new year game and he was giving the centre backs a hard time, he went off injured Waghorn went centre forward and Celtic dominated the rest of the game.
Garner was never a world beater but he was a decent centre forward that wasn’t used properly by the manager.

Let's not pretend he was a world beater & he wasn't anywhere near good enough to play for us but he wasn't as bad as some on here make out.

At the Carlisle game and Joe is brought on for the last 10 minutes.1 minute to go and the bold Joe puts in a tackle that sees the Hartlepool player stretchered off in a leg brace.
Old age isn't calming him down much
It happened right in front of me, great tackle & perseverance from joe.

I’ve seen some donkeys in my time and fortunately not too many of them plied their trade in royal blue, but Joe Garner is right up their with one of the worst ‘footballers’ I’ve ever seen playing for us.

His inability to do the basics well was horrendous to watch. One instance close to the corner flag near our end and the main stand at Rugby Park lingers in the memory whereby I was genuinely dumbfounded as to how he had made it in the professional ranks due to his inability to control the ball. Yes, he could put himself about and was reasonable in the air for his size, but other than that he was truly woeful.

A classic example of the power of Sky Sports whereby his volley for PNE in League One had a lot of people taken in as to the quality of English league football. He even had the brass neck to slate the standard of the Scottish Premeir League when he pitched up at Portman Rd or the DW or wherever after he left.

A footnote of abject mediocrity that sullies our reputation as a serious football club.

P.S. No harm to him personally btw.

Big Menayese has a double fracture and ligament damage.
I'm not saying he didn't get injured, but Joe definitely won the ball, the ref didn't give a free kick either. I hope he makes a speedy recovery, he looks like a good player aswel.

Back