Aribo

EssexBear

Clearly not hitting it off at Southampton.

Wasnt in the 18 for the Carabao Semi on Tuesday.

New manager may not fancy him !

Was a poor move for him , granted they’ve probably at least doubled his wage but playing wise it was never gonny work out at Southampton for joe , he’d needed to have gone to a team on the front foot to make any impact in the EPL ,unfortunately they teams can afford far better than Aribo

Last edited:
I had a look on their forum the other day. The main consensus seemed to be that they couldn't find a position for him, as they have other players who already fill the role in games that Aribo usually does

Also (this one sounded very familiar) they said that his application can be off at times, he will have 1 or 2 brilliant moments in a match then seems almost absent for the rest of it

His dream was always to play in the EPL, we were merely a developmental stepping stone till he felt he was going to be ready.
Fair enough.

Makes you wonder why he'd rather chose to play for a cannon fodder team who will never qualify for Europe or win any trophies.

Sky EPL marketing working obviously!

He went off the boil with us in the last few months.
All players go off the boil at times. He was playing as a striker in the end. Some games he looked lazy at times, but he was the one who could at any time bring a bit of magic. He went through a couple of brilliant spells for us which is hard to keep up throughout a season. We realise this season how much we miss him.

Fair enough.

Makes you wonder why he'd rather chose to play for a cannon fodder team who will never qualify for Europe or win any trophies.

All part of the stepping stone pathway to a bigger club. Ask Van Dyke

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t have him back. When it came to games against them he had the heart of a mouse.

Fair enough.

It's a career for players, 99% arent thinking as fans
They want to win trophies yes, but they need to make as much money as possible too in a short career

I’m totally in the minority but although he was clearly a talented player, he wasn’t someone that I ever thought would shine at a higher level. Every inch the typical academy type player with all the tricks. Can’t remember him ever being anymore than a 6/10 in an old firm game

Like many who leave us and think theyre going to bigger and better only to realise the grass isnt always greener. May have left for the money which is fair enough, but not many who leave dont regret it.

His bank account will be the only thing that has improved since leaving Rangers.

I do not believe he will be happier in a footballing capacity. And also I can bet he misses everything about Rangers compared to the club hes at just now.

Again it mostly comes down to money but its just ashame players are lured away to lesser clubs when they would almost certainly stay here if the finances where different.

Aribo will always be fondly remembered the lad was instrumental in getting us to a European Final last year. He was part of some memories we will nevwr forget. He scored in a Rangers shirt in a European Final, thats something he will never ever eclipse in his career.

Time to move on, he chose the wrong bed.
Hope he finds a better club than Southampton to appreciate his skills and a better manager than Nathan Jones.
I’m sure he will, won’t be with us

I predicted he would struggle, doesn’t have the football brain to be a playmaker down there, Has all the ability in the world but is easily lost in a game

Clearly not hitting it off at Southampton.

Wasnt in the 18 for the Carabao Semi on Tuesday.

New manager may not fancy him !
I was speaking with a Southampton fan a few weeks ago… basically their new manager recognizes that with them firmly in the bottom 3 then the style of football needs to be direct & physical rather that silky or fancy…. Aribo clearly going to lose out on that scenario.

Not the sort of player needed for a relegation battle. At his best he is an exceptional player, his biggest issue is he lacks confidence in himself. Needs a certain type of manager to get the best out of him.

I’m totally in the minority but although he was clearly a talented player, he wasn’t someone that I ever thought would shine at a higher level. Every inch the typical academy type player with all the tricks. Can’t remember him ever being anymore than a 6/10 in an old firm game
Yet always an 8+ in Europe.

We did well there to get that amount of money , having said that I would like him back on the cheap if possible.

He gets better the longer he was away, he was capable of special moments but far to inconsistent and posted missing in alot of games.

I had a look on their forum the other day. The main consensus seemed to be that they couldn't find a position for him, as they have other players who already fill the role in games that Aribo usually does

Also (this one sounded very familiar) they said that his application can be off at times, he will have 1 or 2 brilliant moments in a match then seems almost absent for the rest of it
This imo is a fair assessment of Aribo at Southampton and with us. Technically sound but flirts in and out of games . Never dominated a game and never scored enough goals. I also felt he wasn’t physically ready for EPL.

I could also apply this criteria to Tillman. Having said all that I liked Joe and hoped he would be successful. Best to move on and let MB find new players .

Hes an excellent player but whether he makes it at a Club like Southampton is a coin toss.

Like all EPL Clubs they have a massive squad of players and the always round the corner change of Manager doesnt help.

He was a super signing for Rangers and his later loss of form came after a collosal effort input and games clocked up. When he went flat the rest of the Team hardly stepped up to help him as they perhaps shouldve.

I wouldnt take him back as he wanted to go and did so with our best wishes for the future.

Manager said in an interview recently that he felt bad for Aribo as they’d been forced to change their style and formation due to results and position in the league and that JA had been the worst affected by that. Said he still saw him as a big part of the club and couldn’t fault his attitude in training. As for midweek …. possibly carrying a knock?

Back