Mason greenwood charges dropped

Presumably her Dad got the money and lifestyle he wanted then.

United won’t touch Greenwood regardless I would imagine.
I assume while suspended by Man U it will have been on full pay?
Otherwise he has quite a payment in back pay coming to him due to,for whatever reason,having no case to answer.

I agree that the scumbag would waltz it at a tribunal. I wonder though if utd have something in their contract about tarnishing the name of the club and if they could argue that the video, images etc had done just that. Even if they were to say that they were all a joke or something, they could say that the reputational damage had been done. Genuinely no idea, just spitballing.

Thankfully fans in the UK will never let him forget it and he wont kick a ball on these shores I wouldnt think.

Interesting to see the moral beacon that is Gary Neville liking and retweeting tweets defending Greenwood.

And paid up??
Absolutely, there are no legal grounds to sack him when he hasn’t been found guilty of anything.

He will struggle to get another club in England though, nobody will want the publicity after that recording, and those pictures are all there for anyone to see

Police officers were accused of deliberately ignoring breaches of bail by Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood while he was under criminal investigation, it can now be revealed.

The 21-year-old was arrested last January and faced criminal charges of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault in October 2022.

At his first court appearance, it was revealed Greenwood had breached a condition of his bail not to contact the alleged victim in the case.

Details can now be revealed after the Crown Prosecution Service announced that all charges against the Premier League footballer have been dropped.

“He was arrested on Saturday morning for breaching his police conditional bail”, prosecutor Rebecca Macaulay-Addison told the magistrates court hearing in October.

READ MORE

Mason Greenwood has all charges against him dropped

What to watch: our recommendations for this week

First generation unopened iPhone set to fetch more than $50,000 at auction

Lawrence Dallaglio’s Rugby Podcast

“He was found in the company of the complainant.”

Greenwood’s lawyer, David Toal, admitted the breach had taken place, saying: “I absolutely concede it is his responsibility to abide by all bail conditions imposed.”

He told the court: “Contact has occurred for many months.”

But Mr Toal added that it was “no secret” to Greater Manchester Police, putting forward a robust argument that Greenwood believed the breaches had been tacitly approved.

District Judge Mark Hadfield expressed “real concern” at the news, saying: “What I am being told is the defendant flagrantly breached the conditions over weeks or even months and police haven’t done anything about it.”

He insisted: “If they suspected breaches of bail, the police should be doing something about it but haven’t – why not?

“What’s the point of someone being on bail conditions if the police don’t enforce them?”

The judge denied Greenwood bail at the hearing on October 17, 2022, and remanded him in custody.

However, the decision was overturned on appeal two days later, at a private hearing at Manchester Minshull Street crown court.

Announcing the decision to drop the case on Thursday, Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, GMP’s head of public protection, said: “Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.

“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.”

Greenwood has been suspended by Manchester United since news of his arrest in January last year was confirmed.

In a statement, the CPS said: “In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case. “We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.”

Greater Manchester Police have been contacted for comment.

re United paying him tho
For reasons that are NOT Uniteds fault he's been unavailable to work. So why should they pay?
I know you get paid for sickness etc but normally only a set period then half pay then ssp

Is there not something similar here
They'll need to pay up whatever is left on his contract from now of course

Charges dropped by CPS? If he paid her off, charges can’t be dropped by her, right? Sorry, genuinely don’t know how it works.

Charges dropped by CPS? If he paid her off, charges can’t be dropped by her, right? Sorry, genuinely don’t know how it works.
Victim brings evidence to police, police then arrest and charge with a crime or release, prior to the case being before a court the person arrested either goes to jail or is out on bail until the court date, Crown Prosecution Service and the defence build their respective cases before it goes to trial, prior to the trial some sort of plea bargain could be made with the defendant or the case could fall apart for a number of reasons and the charges are dropped, then the trial with a prison sentence or released.

Victims of crime in the UK don't make decisions on levying charges or dropping cases, that is done by the police in some cases but mostly by the CPS. What could have happened is that evidence submitted is later retracted or contradicted by new evidence and those called to testify as evidence refuse for some reason or will contradict themselves, CPS realise they haven't got a case that will stand up so drop the charges

Anyway, in other completely unrelated news

Unbelievable, that recording is very unsettling and if I remember correctly she had pictures of bruises etc.

Fn-Kn79XgAAUWlJ

Greenwood has not been found not guilty. He is innocent until proven otherwise. The fact the charges have been dropped with new evidence being cited suggests it wasn't as clear cut. He may well be a dick but in the eyes of the law he has no case to answer. So why shouldn't he be allowed to resume his career? Would people be saying the same if he was a bin man or street cleaner?

New material?!?

Doesn't matter, people have made up there minds, his reputation has been trashed, prob need to move abroad now to salvage any sort of career.

re United paying him tho
For reasons that are NOT Uniteds fault he's been unavailable to work. So why should they pay?
I know you get paid for sickness etc but normally only a set period then half pay then ssp

Suspended on full pay until the outcome of the criminal proceedings.

I can't imagine how annoyed someone like Nazir is when this sort of thing happens.

Solid case, solid evidence and ready to go to trial. Only for the case to be delayed, then delayed, then delayed.

All of a sudden the witness withdraws, new evidence turns up that contradicts the evidence and it all falls to pieces.

Sure, if the case falls apart on it's merits then you'd grumble whilst throwing three months of work into the bin. In others, you'd want to tear your hair out.

She probably goaded him in to it but he still was more than willing to do it and it seems to be far from an isolated incident. The boy is a scum bag and it will shame Man U permanently if he ever plays for them again.

re United paying him tho

£3.9m per year until June 2025.

He's still a scumbag despite what the court judgement is.

Apparently the woman who made the recording is back together with him and wouldn't give evidence and that is why the chances of prosecution are low. On a personal level that is a crazy decision from her but on the wider level she has done untold damage to other victims because they will see this high profile case and think if they can't prosecute after all the evidence - the photos and tapes etc then what hope do they have.

Excellent post.

Reactions: ozo
'In a statement, a Manchester United representative said the club noted "the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped".

"The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps," they said.

"We will not make any further comment until that process is complete."'

So, we'll see what happens there.

It is very likely this is the case. Conviction rates in rape cases are so low that if a settlement is offered they are usually encouraged to take it. Unfortunately I have a great deal of experience in this area and settlements are often the best course of action for victims. Take a payment, get professional help with your trauma and try to move on.
Sad, but true.

Doesn’t assault get taken out of the victims hands even if they dont want to charge the assaulter?

It's virtually impossible to get a rape conviction, even more so in the case of an accusation within a relationship. This is nothing to do with his innocence and all to do with the brutal application of the law.

He'll get what's coming to him one way or another.

Having money really can get you out of alot of appalling situations.
Will Man U run there own disciplinary process? I hope they do because the recordings are a disgrace.

She's been back following him on Instagram for months. This was only going to end one way.

The same with Joey Barton. Belts his missus in public view, she arrives in court with him for the prehearings and then the charges get dropped.

Maybe some victims have no standards

Last edited:
I wonder how much money has changed hands here. The girl is an absolute idiot to go back with him given the content of the recording

She's been back following him on Instagram for months. This was only going to end one way.

The same with Joey Barton. Belts his missus in public view, she arrives in court with him for the prehearings and then the charged get dropped.

Maybe some victims have no standards
That's quite the take.
Maybe some victims are vulnerable, naive and easily manipulated by sex offenders?

Back