Where would Rangers finish in the English championship.

With a Premier League budget?

Behave.
No, I meant what we currently have.

A few seasons worth of premier league money and all the outside investment, sponsors that come along with that would probably increase the clubs worth tenfold and we’d be right up there.

Some optimistic folk in here!

Flip the question on its head. If every player at rangers was on a free transfer, and the only place they could end up would be the English leagues, what level would they end up at?

championship at best for most of them.
See what you mean but its a team game though so really not the best point.

Id guess first season we would be top half 2nd season we could do it.

The one thing people ignore in this debate is that it would be very exciting for our players, club and most of all the fans, lot of these clubs have been stuck at that level for years.

Similar to playing in the europa league the support would be right behind the players and the whole Scotland v England thing comes into it, coming to Ibrox would be tough.... not that it really matters as we aint gonna find out anytime soon so, Ross Co it is.:)

If, big IF, Rangers were in English Championship they should be able to compete. Rangers average player salary is about 30% higher than most clubs but only 2/3 of Burnley.

Every year the clubs relegated from EPL are the ones in contention for going straight back up. Therefore Rangers should be contending for the play off positions. Checking tables today there are 10 clubs within 6 points of a playoff position, or, to put it another way, a total of 16 clubs vying for promotion.
To think that Rangers would stroll into EPL is delusional. While Rangers might be able to compete salary wise initially, without the money from Europe would they still be able to afford a higher salary?
And would supporters be prepared for a string of defeats?

IMHO Rangers would be better off in Scotland trying to drag other clubs, kicking & screaming, into a more professional, and commercial, set-up

No, I meant what we currently have.

A few seasons worth of premier league money and all the outside investment, sponsors that come along with that would probably increase the clubs worth tenfold and we’d be right up there.

Even with that there's no chance we'd be relegated.

We'd instantly be able to buy two or three top class starters.

There's some absolute dogshit in that league, for all the money it has.

Top.

Our budget would increase vastly in the Championship compared to what we have just now. Also teams wouldn’t sit in against us and given what this squad did against Dortmund, Leipzig etc I honestly don’t see us having a problem against teams that are filled with overpaid journeymen dross.

Where would we finish in the premier League then?
1st couple of seasons? We'd struggle.
If we could avoid relegation, after a few seasons of the windfalls they get down there, I think we'd be top half
At worst.
Parachute us into that league & give us the money they get, the sponsorship & worldwide exposure, we'd be as big a draw as anyone down there.

The Championship is an unpredictive League

Depends on where we would be would depends on what finances are at that time

The championship would not be as easy as many on here think

Leeds United were relegated to the Championship in 2010, they did not get promoted again till 2020.
Correct

Leeds were relegated to the Championship in 2004 and included a 3 season period in the the 3rd tier due to their finance problems promoted back to the Championship in 2010 - ten years later back to the Premiership

Right now it’s probably better to ask if Burnley would win the SPL?
Given their salaries and revenue are being propped up by parachute payments and previously being in the EPL, those revenues would vanish overnight and be on a par with the rest of the diddy clubs in Scotland. Even if you do allow them to keep their current revenue/wages for a single season, I don't think they would be able to overcome both ourselves and them over the course of a season.

Don't watch enough of the league to judge but if Norwich go up every 2nd year how hard can it be?

In theory top 2 easily, however many clubs have struggled with their EPL teams and parachute payments.

However the fact the directors keep us debt free and the money down there is ridiculous, it shouldn’t be to hard.

We are a completely different animal now. 9 months ago we were in a European final having destroyed the likes of Dortmund.
Totally understand your thinking. We had a few good seasons in Europe to get to grips with it. It would take the same in the Championship. After all after Seville we are now crowned the worst CL team in the group stages, so swings and roundabouts so to speak.

Here’s the question, how would the likes of Bournemouth, Brentford etc do in Scotland? With the Scottish tv money, how many fans would they get to games to watch Ross county, st mirren etc

Right now it’s probably better to ask if Burnley would win the SPL?
You clearly believe they would ? if they came up here and played from the start of next season would they win it ? im not so sure. Not saying they wouldnt be close and far better than the rest but i dont know if being best in the 2nd league and well coached means you piss it to the title up here.

Not about to start posting messages giving the tims credit but to win up here you cant afford to drop many points. Next season we will have to be on decent form from start to finish.

1st couple of seasons? We'd struggle.
If we could avoid relegation, after a few seasons of the windfalls they get down there, I think we'd be top half
At worst.
Parachute us into that league & give us the money they get, the sponsorship & worldwide exposure, we'd be as big a draw as anyone down there.
According to this site:
The teams that have the money are the relegated ones with their 2-3 years parachute payments. The prize money on offer in the Championship is comparatively little, with the winner expected to pick up around £100,000, and the second placed team £50,000. Add to that 7-8 million in tv money, so would Rangers be better off there without European money? I doubt it. It's also a relentless Sat/Tues slog, injuries to key players is another massive factor, poor quality officials. There are many factors. Would I expect Rangers to be taken over by someone with money? Probably, but again that is no guarantee of success. Do I expect Rangers to be promoted? Yes, with the right manager, players, crowd backing and luck, but I don't think it would be as easy as some on here think. It's never going to happen, but a bit of hypothetical dreaming is always fun.

We'd win it. Questions about our squad too..... Do any Championship club have the below in reserve?

Ridvan
Souttar
Helander
Jack
Davis
Raskin
Arfield
Lawrence
Hagi
Cantwell
Roofe

That's a lot of internationals

Not to mention the Wrights Colaks Matondos Lowry Sands etc

A lot of our support don't appreciate how decent our team and squad is imo

It would take us a while to adapt but I reckon 3 yrs and we would be in the EPL. The biggest adaptation required would be form us as fans. We would initially have to get use to not winning every week ,having many more close games and recognising a draw was not necessarily a disaster. We would get there.

We’d win it eventually because we have a history, standing and fan base that someone would want to take into the Premier League. After that, it’s a case of how much money someone would be willing to spend on us.

We struggle to win the SPL these days and the championship is a step up.
That's reductive. Take away the scum and we have the spl won by Halloween.

Plonk us and the scum in the championship and that's your instant top two. Plonk us in the epl and I don't think either would be relegated but we'd finish between 16th-10th.

We'd walk through it and win it easily.

We were in the Europa League Final 9 months ago FFS.

The Championship is filled with utter dross.

Edit: I should add that this is if we went on our own. It wouldnt be so easy to win if Celtic came too but we'd by the top two by a considerable margin.

Not as easy as some would think.

I reckon first year in it would be a bit tough. Probably top 3.

But taking promotion out of it i reckon after a year of getting the feel of it we would finish 1st.

But then again we could maybe go and win it 1st time out. No one will probably ever know.

If we look at our Europa run last year… there’s not a team in the championship we couldn’t beat. No one from Burnley down to Wigan is beating Dortmund, Leipzig, etc

That said, up until Beale coming back we have been weaker this year, for sure.

It’s always a semi-moot argument as if we were in the championship, we would have a much bigger budget than we have now, as well.

I have no doubt we would be promoted.

I think we would win it, current squad would certainly be play-offs
IF we had the budget of a championship team we would be heads and shoulders above those teams pretty quickly...

People saying amount of games, we play more up here if you include Europe starting from the play off rounds and domestic cups. If we were in the Championship then we wouldn’t have European football to focus on. It’s a lot tougher playing champions league or Europa league Thursday/Sunday than it is to playing two championship matches in a week.

Looking at the squad, Tav could play Prem, one of the best in the Europa league. Barisic/Yilmaz, full internationals and Yilmaz has bags of potential. Davies came from Liverpool and Goldson can play Prem, most certainly if Worral and McKenna are playing at that level.

An on form Kamara is definitely a Prem player as is Morelos and Kent, Lundstram has played at that level as has Cantwell who was outstanding two years ago.

We then have the Crown Jewels in Raskin and Tillman where there’s outstanding potential.

Add in the coaching of Beale and a winning mentality, where second is last, that doesn’t exist at most of the championship clubs then we would be near the top.

Finally, the fans, our away support at these grounds where they won’t know what’s hit them, never mind our home support, that would turn it up a notch as well.

Given their salaries and revenue are being propped up by parachute payments and previously being in the EPL, those revenues would vanish overnight and be on a par with the rest of the diddy clubs in Scotland. Even if you do allow them to keep their current revenue/wages for a single season, I don't think they would be able to overcome both ourselves and them over the course of a season.
I was more meaning right now with the squads available. I don’t think they would myself.

Too many variables to go in to.
You clearly believe they would ? if they came up here and played from the start of next season would they win it ? im not so sure. Not saying they wouldnt be close and far better than the rest but i dont know if being best in the 2nd league and well coached means you piss it to the title up here.

Not about to start posting messages giving the tims credit but to win up here you cant afford to drop many points. Next season we will have to be on decent form from start to finish.
Given I’m a Rovers fan not really pal no!

If there was a two legged tie though next week I would make Rangers about 4/7 to win, so I wouldn’t say it’s an absolute cert the Championship would be a walk over with current squads.

Again far too many variables and nobody really knows the answer.

Was looking over Beales time with QPR in the championship, good form followed by a drastic downturn.

For people who watch the championship how competitive is it and what is the quality like outside the top six teams?

Where would Rangers finish in it?

In the past you saw Scottish players taking that league by storm, players like McCormack, dorrans, Rhodes. Mcginn more recently.

Outside a few teams, rangers revenue can't be too far behind some of them, although I understand we get a massive chunk for European participation.
Top by at least 10 points

Too many blinded by the money on transfer fees, the quality is a mixture of "ok" and shite. We'd be winning it at the first attempt with our current squad, absolutely no doubt about that. Our manager knew he was coming to something much better than the Championship level (club, not league) and comparable with lower half EPL.

24 teams in the Championship and their top 10 are clearly a cut above the 10 below us in the Scottish Premier. A few of the rest of the Championship stragglers may be as good as those (below us) that we are facing every week. So we might need one or two seasons while adjusting and rebuilding.

Once promoted the quality of opposition every week could compensate for having no European football for a few years. And we'll be
playing teams just once home/away each season, plus bigger away stadiums to accommodate the travelling bears. What’s not to like..

Was looking over Beales time with QPR in the championship, good form followed by a drastic downturn.

For people who watch the championship how competitive is it and what is the quality like outside the top six teams?

Where would Rangers finish in it?

In the past you saw Scottish players taking that league by storm, players like McCormack, dorrans, Rhodes. Mcginn more recently.

Outside a few teams, rangers revenue can't be too far behind some of them, although I understand we get a massive chunk for European participation.
Perhaps a question to ask the manager at the next press conference? Interesting to hear his thoughts although, press conferences are pre and post the current match!!

The 2 toughest leagues in England to get promoted from IMO are the Championship and the National League.
I think it would take us a couple of years to get into the playoffs as long as we had smart investment in the on-field talent. 3-4 years we could challenge for an automatic place.

We would need to find our feet first it wouldn't be as easy as people think.Although I think we are now starting to head in the right direction outwith the Stevie G season we have struggled to win our own league which is nowhere near Championship standard.

Apparently we'd piss a harder league than the piss easy one we're currently 9 points behind in. Makes sense.

Burnley spent about £40m this season. I think it would be tougher than most on here think.

Back