Morelos

100%% but the op asked should we keep him if he's mediocre. Wouldn't like to think we would keep anyone who was mediocre. Re Morelos, we know it would be self inflicted as we all know what he can do
he looks out of shape right now.

rusty.

and often appears out of breath.

but we know what he's capable of when he's at the races.

We all seen the players in pre season games and I know Morelos returned in a very poor condition.

I posted it in the summer and despite being slaughtered for it, I was correct.

Thats good for you.

Still doesn't change the fact that a different manager with a different approach to managing the fitness of the squad, may have had him in better shape by the time he returned from his injury.

Which is my point about him. I'm not absolving him of any blame, he should have kept himself in better shape, but some people need to be dealt with differently that others. It's a simple fact of managing people.

He had 5 months out, missed pre season and the previous manager wasn't exactly up on keeping players in prime condition, he saw that as the players responsibility.

Morelos is clearly getting back to form. I'd keep him if we can do the right deal with him.
That’s the way I see it too

At his best there’s no doubting he’s one of the best players in the country. His strength on the ball, the way he uses his body, his link up play and instinct for being in the right place at the right time is second to none, IMO, and I agree that replacing those attributes could cost us a lot of money, but . . . the caveat seems to be that we have to suffer periods every season when he looks unfit or uninterested and we simply can’t afford to be hanging around every year hoping he can be bothered to turn up at some point.

For me it’s just run its course and we should be prioritising a new first choice striker this summer and let the Colombian take his talents, drama and petulance off to pastures new.

If you look at his stats , goals and assists it’s his second best season well kinda -

A goal every 162 mins

If anything that goes to show that even at his 'peak' he didn't have a sustained period in the league where he was 'at it'. It was always a few months here or there.

I remember a couple of seasons ago we were flying then round about Christmas/New Year, Morelos' form dipped big time and our league campaign basically fell apart. Not saying that was his fault btw, we were far too reliant on him winning us games at times. He was a one man team during that spell.

Even if he produces his best form until the end of the season, the question that needs asked is:

Can we trust him to stay in shape, maintain his good form and remain professional?

I think the answer is no.

Even if he produces his best form until the end of the season, the question that needs asked is:

Can we trust him to stay in shape, maintain his good form and remain professional?

I think the answer is no.
The Manager said in his press conference Morelos has never given him a problem since coming in or in his previous time under Gerrard - He also said in another interview before becoming the Rangers Manager the stuff he hears about Morelos couldn’t be further from the truth I.e Professionalism.

Myth on here that Morelos can’t be relied on or is somehow unprofessional - Unless people on here know more than people who work with him day in day out of course!

If Morelos leaves we need two new striker s as we can't guarantee Roofe stays fit and unfortunately it's Roofe that should be leaving
Is striker Beale want is to replace Roofe and have Morelos Colak and one other?

Would you tie down Morelos on a 3 or 4 year extension making him most likely one of the higher paid players at the club? Is that a financial wise move right now?

Baring in mind, it's the 2023 Morelos with lets just say fitness issues and not the 2019 Morelos.

If we've not got a better target he will still be here, if he was leaving we would probably already know.

The Manager said in his press conference Morelos has never given him a problem since coming in or in his previous time under Gerrard - He also said in another interview before becoming the Rangers Manager the stuff he hears about Morelos couldn’t be further from the truth I.e Professionalism.

Myth on here that Morelos can’t be relied on or is somehow unprofessional - Unless people on here know more than people who work with him day in day out of course!
Sorry but our manager isn’t being fully truthful then.

Morelos gave Gerrard several problems during his time.

Red cards in massive games, returning home late from Colombia and missing a key game. Even before Gerrard left, Gerrard publicly called out Morelos twice in a month for not scoring enough goals or doing enough.

No other player of ours returns from summer break with a belly. That’s not professionalism.

And Beale also said McGregor was the best in the country so forgive me for thinking Beale was simply backing his player rather than being truthful

There’s certainly no myth that Morelos has never given us a full season is sustained form in his time here.

Would you tie down Morelos on a 3 or 4 year extension making him most likely one of the higher paid players at the club? Is that a financial wise move right now?

Baring in mind, it's the 2023 Morelos with lets just say fitness issues and not the 2019 Morelos.
Well both the club and manager want him to stay - so the answer is yes!

How do you know? Did you see them all?

Anyway what's the point. The nuance of my point is clearly lost
That’s like people slaughtering Peña for being a pisshead and being seen pissed in pubs and saying.

“How do you know other players don’t do that? Did you see them all?”

“It doesn’t change that if we had a different manager to Pedro, Peña might not have been a waster.”

It’s really the fault of the Manager, not of Morelos for being really unprofessional in his own free time. Is that it?

It’s completely his own doing and he let down the club and the fans for the umpteenth time.

Last edited:
Sorry but our manager isn’t being fully truthful then.

Morelos gave Gerrard several problems during his time.

Red cards in massive games, returning home late from Colombia and missing a key game. Even before Gerrard left, Gerrard publicly called out Morelos twice in a month for not scoring enough goals or doing enough.

No other player of ours returns from summer break with a belly. That’s not professionalism.

And Beale also said McGregor was the best in the country so forgive me for thinking Beale was simply backing his player rather than being truthful

There’s certainly no myth that Morelos has never given us a full season is sustained form in his time here.
We’ll need to agree to disagree - I tend to agree with the manager.

P.S Who’s better than McGregor in this country?:)

I don’t think he provides enough goals domestically to be a Rangers number 9.

Being honest, I’ve finally been tipped over the edge with his behaviour and antics

He has 9 goals and 4 assists in 8 starts in the league this season, which is really good going. Unfortunately, only having 8 starts is entirely his own fault. If we could guarantee he would stay in good shape it would be a no brainer to extend his contract but we can't.

He’s very effective even when not fully fit - plus I think we’ll see him fully fit before long. I want him to stay.

Both Kent and Morelos will not be easy for us to replace - the other out of contract players I’m relaxed if they move on. On loans, I would love to keep tillman but I just can’t see us concluding that deal while brining in cantwell and Raskin and hopefully retaining Morelos and Kent. Tha tv would be a lot of higher end wages when you add in Goldson, lundstrum, Davies and Lawrence and I just don’t believe rangers (or them) can sustain that number of high end wages (ie 25k and above)

That’s like people slaughtering Peña for being a pisshead and being seen pissed in pubs and saying.

“How do you know other players don’t do that? Did you see them all?”

“It doesn’t change that if we had a different manager to Pedro, Peña might not have been a waster.”

It’s really the fault of the Manager, not of Morelos for being really unprofessional in his own free time. Is that it?

It’s completely his own doing and he let down the club and the fans for the umpteenth time.

Again, no its not all on Gio. As I have now said umpteen times, a different management team who take greater responsibility themselves are IMO likely to have a fitter Morelos. He's just that type of person that needs somebody to take the responsibility for him.

Also, your comparison is fucking wild.

For him to stay he'll be looking for a pay rise and there would be another signing on fee. For me, that's hard to justify based on performances over the last 12 months.

On his day yes, and if he was willing to sign on for the same money then I'd be inclined to give him another 2-3 years. He's probably our top earner just now (or at least top 3) so is there even room to increase it?
For me the answer is to offer him a new contract with different terms, ie lower basic with better performance bonuses.

If he is prepared to accept that sort of deal, he will know he has to knuckle down and deliver or alternatively he will have been wasting his time - much like he has been wasting that of RFC for several years now.

To offer him a new improved contract would be mad given his lack of commitment to his existing contract. If he accepted a new deal with lower basic he would surely realise that he would have to get the finger out.

Gerrard has publicly called Morelos out on a few occasions...

Again, no its not all on Gio. As I have now said umpteen times, a different management team who take greater responsibility themselves are IMO likely to have a fitter Morelos. He's just that type of person that needs somebody to take the responsibility for him.

Also, your comparison is fucking wild.

It's literally the same scenario.

Gerrard has publicly called Morelos out on a few occasions...
The only time I remember Gerrard raging with Morelos is when he missed the Hearts cup game - rightly so it was a joke - he apologised and Gerrard had him back in the game after.

There’s a running theme on here from a few that Morelos has been totally unreliable or unprofessional his whole time here it’s bollocks and Beale has confirmed that.

The only time I remember Gerrard raging with Morelos is when he missed the Hearts cup game - rightly so it was a joke - he apologised and Gerrard had him back in the game after.

There’s a running theme on here from a few that Morelos has been totally unreliable or unprofessional his whole time here it’s bollocks and Beale has confirmed that.

Gerrard called him out publicly not long before he left for Aston Villa as well.

Let's not rewrite history based on a comment Beale made in an interview recently.

Different account and username, still the same unbridled love for our Morelos.

Love that can transcend space, time and dimensions.

Truly beautiful stuff.

Ok you know more than the Rangers Manager - you’re wasted on here.
Beale us already admitted lying to the press.

Do you think every word that comes out of the managers word is the truth?

Of course not, he's playing the game and to get Morelos back on side and in form.

Give it a rest.

On your old account you were giving it the " are you calling our manager a liar"

On that subject I always find it amusing when posters kid themselves on in here that the tims fear Morelos.

Thankfully I don’t know too many of them other than the odd ones via work and at 5 a sides but those that I do know certainly don’t fear him and are wanting him to stay at us.

Given he’s managed 2 goals in many many games against them, it’s easy to see why.

Mhanks I know were gutted when he scored at the phiggery, I reckon they'd have rather lost that game and taken him not to score than the draw it finished.

I'm sure he's pretty disappointed with his Tally v them, Gordon Durie managed none yet scored a Hat trick in a cup final, he was a smashing player, as is Morelos.

Mhanks I know were gutted when he scored at the phiggery, I reckon they'd have rather lost that game and taken him not to score than the draw it finished.

I'm sure he's pretty disappointed with his Tally v them, Gordon Durie managed none yet scored a Hat trick in a cup final, he was a smashing player, as is Morelos.
They were gutted as he was a joke figure for them due to the amount of sitters he’s missed against them.

Name me another Rangers striker that the tims have minutes worth compilation videos of bad misses against that lot.

The notion they are scared of him is totally made up nonsense

A fit Alfie is the best striker in Scotland and would cost too much to replace . Sadly he’s hardly ever fit and has let us down too often. With his talent if he’d screwed the nut he’d be playing in a proper league years ago. Difficult one but on balance I don’t think we’d get much for him so,if his wage demands are not outrageous I’d keep him

How anyone can think that Morelos is suddenly going to be a striker we can trust and rely on over a season is a mystery. To not only rely on him buy make him our highest player on a new contract. Wild.
2 managers have already dropped him out from the squad entirely due to unprofessional behaviour, only a matter of time until the pattern repeats again.

I’ve seen it said on here before and it’s true. We have a real problem with letting go. It’s time for Alfredo to move on. The fact that there seems to be very little interest speaks volumes. We need a No.9 that we can rely on

It would be a shame to lose him for nothing when there was a time he could have got us a decent transfer fee.

I really don’t know what I want to happen with him. He’s not the player he was a few seasons ago when he was giving defenders a torrid time. I trust Beale as a coach and I do think he might be able to get Alfie back to his best. My gut feeling is that he might want to try his luck elsewhere now.

Is it not though? Morelos lacks professionalism and can't be trusted to keep himself fit, instead indulges in manners not befitting a professional athlete and comes back out of shape and takes 6+ months to correct that.

Look at Connor Goldson, a professional athlete, out for a long period of time, back training 2 days and is in the same physical condition he left, and slots right back into the team.

Back