Morelos

Is it not though? Morelos lacks professionalism and can't be trusted to keep himself fit, instead indulges in manners not befitting a professional athlete and comes back out of shape and takes 6+ months to correct that.

Look at Connor Goldson, a professional athlete, out for a long period of time, back training 2 days and is in the same physical condition he left, and slots right back into the team.

Lol.

No. He's comparing a guy coming back from a lengthy injury (missing the biggest games of his life in the process) and being out of shape, to an alcoholic.

There is zero comparison.

Lol.

No. He's comparing a guy coming back from a lengthy injury (missing the biggest games of his life in the process) and being out of shape, to an alcoholic.

There is zero comparison.
Is Morelos being out for a period coming back completely out of shape and then taking 6+ months to correct that a sign of professionalism, or even respect for the club that pays him so well and the fans that backed him. Much like Pena.

Goldson comes back from a lengthy period lean and slots right back in, I don't see Iannis Hagi carrying extra timber and looking like he's never seen a ball after being out for much longer?

The Manager said in his press conference Morelos has never given him a problem since coming in or in his previous time under Gerrard - He also said in another interview before becoming the Rangers Manager the stuff he hears about Morelos couldn’t be further from the truth I.e Professionalism.

Myth on here that Morelos can’t be relied on or is somehow unprofessional - Unless people on here know more than people who work with him day in day out of course!
Exactly. The manager worked with him previously and right now has said he has no issues with Alfie.

The guys an enigma and he should stay. Now he's looked after properly again (managed by a decent manager) he'll score goals and play with confidence.

I think he will be offskies. It's a sore one that he will go for nothing especially given what we could've got for him a few years ago, but at the end of the day he owes us nothing. His goals and performances got us to the latter stages of Europe and the league so while it's disappointing to lose out on a transfer free, his performances made up for it.

Is Morelos being out for a period coming back completely out of shape and then taking 6+ months to correct that a sign of professionalism, or even respect for the club that pays him so well and the fans that backed him. Much like Pena.

Goldson comes back from a lengthy period lean and slots right back in, I don't see Iannis Hagi carrying extra timber and looking like he's never seen a ball after being out for much longer?

Mate give it up. The comparison was absolute fucking nonsense.

Only 1 person cost us the league last season - the manager and he’s unfortunately cost us this one too!

Nisbet better than Morelos and Gordon better than McGregor - strange times on here!
The current McGregor compared with Hart and Gordon isn’t even close if you’re honest.

Also, my post about Nisbet over a week ago I stand by. Tynecastle seems to have got some fans all misty eyed again.

Prior to the game midweek, not one Hibs fan would have swapped Morelos for Nisbet given the state Morelos has been in this season. Over the course of a season, Nisbet would score more goals in a Rangers team than Morelos would as he’s a more composed finisher IMO.

The current McGregor compared with Hart and Gordon isn’t even close if you’re honest.

Also, my post about Nisbet over a week ago I stand by. Tynecastle seems to have got some fans all misty eyed again.

Prior to the game midweek, not one Hibs fan would have swapped Morelos for Nisbet given the state Morelos has been in this season. Over the course of a season, Nisbet would score more goals in a Rangers team than Morelos would as he’s a more composed finisher IMO.

OK Delboy

So Morelos's complete lack of professionalism was Gio's vault? I dunno, Gio had his faults but the individuals need to be accountable for their conditioning, or lack of.

This is the nuance of this conversation, isn't it

Gio was criticised due to the squads overall fitness levels.

However we also have people saying players need to be responsible for their conditioning.

There has to be an acceptance that yes, Morelos was unprofessional, he could have managed his diet better etc etc. However, a management team with a different approach who take a greater control over the fitness of the squad, would likely have managed Morelos better and had him in better shape.

It doesn't absolve Morelos of blame. However as I've said numerous times now, people need managed differently. A one size fits all approach does not work with people management, and will not get the same results from everybody.

Do we know if Morelos was given a bespoke nutrition and fitness plan? Do we know if he stuck to it? Do we know what the relationship with Gio and Morelos was? What support did he get when he was injured and missing the biggest matches of his career. Do we know what Morelos thoughts were in being ran into the ground when clearly injured?

There's so much more would have been going on in the background that us supporters would be unaware of.

It's far to simplistic to just say Morelos was unprofessional and that's the end of it.

However we also have people saying players need to be responsible for their conditioning.

There has to be an acceptance that yes, Morelos was unprofessional, he could have managed his diet better etc etc. However, a management team with a different approach who take a greater control over the fitness of the squad, would likely have managed Morelos better and had him in better shape.

It doesn't absolve Morelos of blame. However as I've said numerous times now, people need managed differently. A one size fits all approach does not work with people management, and will not get the same results from everybody.

Do we know if Morelos was given a bespoke nutrition and fitness plan? Do we know if he stuck to it? Do we know what the relationship with Gio and Morelos was? What support did he get when he was injured and missing the biggest matches of his career. Do we know what Morelos thoughts were in being ran into the ground when clearly injured?

There's so much more would have been going on in the background that us supporters would be unaware of.

It's far to simplistic to just say Morelos was unprofessional and that's the end of it.
The management are on their summer holidays too.

That no other first team player returned to pre season with a belly suggests it’s very much an individual player issue rather than management

On current form I’m not sure who’s going to be paying him £30k plus a week. He may get a higher signing on fee if he signs a pre contract with another club, if we’re resigning I’d be offering a year extension with a wage drop and ask to earn another contract or he’s free to leave.

The management are on their summer holidays too.

That no other first team player returned to pre season with a belly suggests it’s very much an individual player issue rather than management

You have got no idea what condition other players returned in.

Not everybody was on their summer holidays either, as Morelos was here training as he was given time off after the injury happened. Him and Helander got sent to Portugal ahead of the rest of the squad to continue their rehab.

Anyway, the fact you can't even begin to comprehend that a different to approach to fitness by the management team may have led to Morelos being in better shape is no surprise given your long running hatred of the man.

I’ve been his biggest critic but I hope have given him credit when it was due. I think it’s time for us to part company. I don’t think any manager can get consistent performances out of him. We can’t afford anyone who can replicate a top form Morelos which is a great shame.

On current form I’m not sure who’s going to be paying him £30k plus a week. He may get a higher signing on fee if he signs a pre contract with another club, if we’re resigning I’d be offering a year extension with a wage drop and ask to earn another contract or he’s free to leave.
A year extension with a pay cut? - How could he refuse…

So Morelos's complete lack of professionalism was Gio's vault? I dunno, Gio had his faults but the individuals need to be accountable for their conditioning, or lack of.
A good manager, manages the individuals as well as the collective. Gio failed to do that and create the environment for a team to thrive in. Look at what Beale is starting to get simply by being a better people manager.

He was very good at Tynecastle but 90 minutes isn't a justifiable reason for chucking a bunch of money at him for the next 3/4 years.

Hand on heart, are you 100% convinced that Morelos would give us no more hassle, no more grief, no more fitness issues, no more strops, no more petulance if he signed up to a sizeable new deal ?

I'm not. The Alfie of 3/4 years ago was worth the hassle. The Alfie of today just isn't.

For both parties sakes, we need to go our seperate ways in the summer.

You have got no idea what condition other players returned in.

Not everybody was on their summer holidays either, as Morelos was here training as he was given time off after the injury happened. Him and Helander got sent to Portugal ahead of the rest of the squad to continue their rehab.

Anyway, the fact you can't even begin to comprehend that a different to approach to fitness by the management team may have led to Morelos being in better shape is no surprise given your long running hatred of the man.
I know that the physical condition of only one first team player shocked some of the staff.

It’s clear you’re determined to jump through hoops along with a few serial likers of any post defending the player no matter what he does. That’s your choice.

Personally I put Rangers above any individual player. As others have now pointed out, Goldson and Hagi returned from injury in fine condition and no belly. Professionalism.

He was very good at Tynecastle but 90 minutes isn't a justifiable reason for chucking a bunch of money at him for the next 3/4 years.

Hand on heart, are you 100% convinced that Morelos would give us no more hassle, no more grief, no more fitness issues, no more strops, no more petulance if he signed up to a sizeable new deal ?

I'm not. The Alfie of 3/4 years ago was worth the hassle. The Alfie of today just isn't.

For both parties sakes, we need to go our seperate ways in the summer.
6 goals 5 assists since Beale arrived more than any other player in the squad - why are posters persisting with the 1 good game at Tynecastle rubbish?

A good manager, manages the individuals as well as the collective. Gio failed to do that and create the environment for a team to thrive in. Look at what Beale is starting to get simply by being a better people manager.
I'm fully behind Beale and believe he has the chops to lead us to great things but, Hearts game aside, we've not been that great.

Gio was unfortunate with injuries and I could argue that the return of Goldson and Davies would have yielded similar results.

I get that but don't you think it would be great if the coaching staff could devote the vast majority of their time to tactics and more technical aspects and leave general fitness for the players to manage in their time?

I get that but don't you think it would be great if the coaching staff could devote the vast majority of their time to tactics and more technical aspects and leave general fitness for the players to manage in their time?

I think you’ve seen the answer to that across the whole squad surely ?

Also, don't forget the shocking state of the squad upon their return after 55. We were woefully short of what was required for that Malmo tie and it irks me to this day. Beale was part of that.

I know that the physical condition of only one first team player shocked some of the staff.

It’s clear you’re determined to jump through hoops along with a few serial likers of any post defending the player no matter what he does. That’s your choice.

Personally I put Rangers above any individual player. As others have now pointed out, Goldson and Hagi returned from injury in fine condition and no belly. Professionalism.

Lol

I'm not jumping through any hoops.

It's clear you are unable to understand what I'm saying. For years you have hated on Morelos on here so its no surprise. So we shall leave it at that

Yes.

But it clearly didn't work with this squad, did it?

The players are talented footballers. Not talented fitness guru's, nutritionists, dietitians etc etc. That's why we have a staff of people to carry out those roles.

I think he was good on Tuesday, but how much of the recent improvement is to do with the fact it’s dawned on him no decent club want him, this long sought after big move has never been further away and he’s not earned even a salary similar to his current with his long standing poor form?

Yes.

But it clearly didn't work with this squad, did it?

The players are talented footballers. Not talented fitness guru's, nutritionists, dietitians etc etc. That's why we have a staff of people to carry out those roles.
What other players have we that have been visibly overweight? That’s not something that requires a fitness guru or nutritional isn’t, it’s complete professional negligence.

I think he was good on Tuesday, but how much of the recent improvement is to do with the fact it’s dawned on him no decent club want him, this long sought after big move has never been further away and he’s not earned even a salary similar to his current with his long standing poor form?
Yea, who knows? As stated before, I'd offer reduced terms on a take it or leave it basis. He's not going to a bigger club than us, we hold all the aces in this negotiation.

No idea. Don't know what any of the players weight is supposed to be.

This picture is quite striking, there’s a big difference between this pic where he looks quite lean and how he’s been over the last 6 months.

GettyImages-1242339642-1-1140x783.jpg

Hey mate, so are we saying that the squad can't be held responsible for controlling their own fitness and training sessions need to adapted to incorporate this?

Well, yes. It's been proven this season that a big focus on fitness is needed as the players collectively can't reach the required standards on their own.

This picture is quite striking, there’s a big difference between this pic where he looks quite lean and how he’s been over the last 6 months.

GettyImages-1242339642-1-1140x783.jpg

Whats your point exactly?

Have I said at anywhere on this thread that Morelos was in fine shape when he returned?

Hey mate, so are we saying that the squad can't be held responsible for controlling their own fitness and training sessions need to adapted to incorporate this?

The evidence unfortunately seems to say yes mate.

We are as a squad significantly fitter, as we’ve witnessed not only on Wednesday.

Should that be the case ? Might be a different answer.

I’m not convinced mate - I would be amazed if there are not better terms on the table for him already elsewhere.

Highly unlikely they will be from a club as big as us though.

Time will tell I suppose!!

If that was the case he’d probably be gone already. No better teams, or team’s offering better terms than us, are interested for obvious reasons.

I'd like him to be offered a new contract, we are seeing how important he is to our team when he's supposedly fat and not interested

Too risky for me. What happens if he gets a new deal and returns unfit and unmotivated next season?

I trust Beale and Wilson to make the right call but I’d only offer a contract under terms that reflect the need for a level of professionalism.

Thats the approach Gio took.

Gerrard and Beale have a different approach.

One gets better results than the other
But then I circle back to the state we were in for the Malmo tie. All things considered, probably the biggest tie we've faced in years and we were shockingly under prepared.

I think you’ve seen the answer to that across the whole squad surely ?
No one can doubt our fitness wasn’t as good under Gio than it was under SG. The evidence speaks for itself.

But there’s a difference in players lacking stamina compared to a player showing up in the summer with a belly that suggests he over indulged in food and drink which is unprofessional.

You and some of the other Morelos fan club appear to be deliberately ignoring the fact that he returned to pre season with a belly.

No one can doubt our fitness wasn’t as good under Gio than it was under SG. The evidence speaks for itself.

But there’s a difference in players lacking stamina compared to a player showing up in the summer with a belly that suggests he over indulged in food and drink which is unprofessional.

You and some of the other Morelos fan club appear to be deliberately ignoring the fact that he returned to pre season with a belly.
The game against Celtic the belly protruding from his shirt was downright disgraceful.

It's smaller now and he seems to be hitting form.

Coincidence with only 4 months left of the season he's hit decent form he's either trying to put himself in the shop window or earn a new contract.

All round unprofessional.

The "Morelos fan club"

You are a parody.

Too risky for me. What happens if he gets a new deal and returns unfit and unmotivated next season?

I trust Beale and Wilson to make the right call but I’d only offer a contract under terms that reflect the need for a level of professionalism.
Can't disagree it's not risky, I know it's not the first time he's been like this but hopefully Beale knows how to deal with him

at the end of the day, it will be up to Beale how far we’re willing to go to keep him.

If Beale thinks he’s worth keeping for further years on big money, many will disagree but we need to trust him as he’s earned that.

Ultimately if it backfires then it’s on Beale as there will be plenty of “told you so”.

Other than standing outside Morelos' house and preventing him from going out clubbing every other night, what could Gio realistically have done?

Yea, tend to agree mate. The players need to be accountable for their general fitness imo.
I fully agree with this. However this season only 1 player has been held accountable from our own fans, despite for most the season our whole squad lacking fitness.

Thing with Morelos is, and I realise I am in the minority, Gio mismanaged him after the Hibs red, everyone seemed to be on Gio's side with it and I just couldn't see how that would help get the best out of him. Players are human and all humans are different and need managed differently.

Back