Morelos

They absolutely should, and it has been noticeable & disappointing just how unfit they looked early this season.

Gio was obviously a factor, but so we’re the players.

I fully agree with this. However this season only 1 player has been held accountable from our own fans, despite for most the season our whole squad lacking fitness.

The players weren't as fit, but nobody came back overweight and out of shape.

Interesting to see what the thoughts are then after todays performance which was very much in line with 99% of the rest of them this season, poor.

Should have scored a fairly easy header chance in the first half from about 10 yards out and fired it over the bar.

Interesting to see what the thoughts are then after todays performance which was very much in line with 99% of the rest of them this season, poor.

Should have scored a fairly easy header chance in the first half from about 10 yards out and fired it over the bar.
You think just Alfie was poor? There's a shocker eh! not!

He certainly wasnt poor. Played well. Couple of loose touches and he could have done better with the chance you allude too, but by far the more effective of all 3 who played up top today at various stages.

But again like i said after his performance at Tynecastle. Match by match reactionary stuff is a total nonsense.

He certainly wasnt poor. Played well. Couple of loose touches and he could have done better with the chance you allude too, but by far the more effective of all 3 who played up top today at various stages.

But again like i said after his performance at Tynecastle. Match by match reactionary stuff is a total nonsense.
Was talking to my mate at the game the day about this has there been another Rangers players who is scrutinised game by game - almost pass by pass like Morelos?

By the online Rangers support I may add,certainly doesn’t happen at the games!

Was talking to my mate at the game the day about this has there been another Rangers players who is scrutinised game by game - almost pass by pass like Morelos?

By the online Rangers support I may add,certainly doesn’t happen at the games!

Nah its a bizarre phenomenon. I think theres been at least one thread about him after every game this season. Even when Colak was on fire, folk wanted to talk about Morelos more. Never really known anything like it.

Anyone without an axe to grind would say, he did well today. Not great. But certainly our most effective player that played up top. A performance not particularly worthy of praise or criticism to the majority.

Infact, im in a group of about 20 for our bus, and no one had anything bad to say about him. No one praised him either. Tillman and McGlaughlin got all the attention for different reasons haha.

Morelos’ form has been more than fine since Beale arrived - people really need to take the day off with the ‘Morelos Watch’ every game.

It’s cringeworthy embarrassing stuff!
I'd just like the Rangers number 9 to be more consistent and clinical. Alfie has been a favourite of mine since the day he walked in the door but I just feel it's time for a different approach.

Done some good things, done some bad things, booked for eff all and missed two real chances that he should've buried. Nowhere near Wednesday's levels but he's played far far worse as well

Beautiful wee nutmeg for the first goal but he's simply not clinical enough as a number 9 to pay him what he's on just now or increase his wage.

There should be a healthy debate on Morelos and his future but it far too often descends into two entrenched camps who stubbornly double down constantly.

Morelos has been more than value for money at £1m and paid it back over and over again but there comes a point when a change is needed and some first choice players are past their peak. We're not the only club seeing this. Look at Liverpool.

I'd just like the Rangers number 9 to be more consistent and clinical. Alfie has been a favourite of mine since the day he walked in the door but I just feel it's time for a different approach.
If Alfie’s times up I am far more confident with Beale in charge finding a replacement.

The non stop scrutiny of every performance is utterly bizarre tho as the poster above said.

Done some good things, done some bad things, booked for eff all and missed two real chances that he should've buried. Nowhere near Wednesday's levels but he's played far far worse as well

Beautiful wee nutmeg for the first goal but he's simply not clinical enough as a number 9 to pay him what he's on just now or increase his wage.

There should be a healthy debate on Morelos and his future but it far too often descends into two entrenched camps who stubbornly double down constantly.

Morelos has been more than value for money at £1m and paid it back over and over again but there comes a point when a change is needed and some first choice players are past their peak. We're not the only club seeing this. Look at Liverpool.

Fair post mate. Im not adverse to change. Im on the fence. Said it midweek after Tynecastle. I do feel hes singled out harshly though, which i find strange.

Nothing wrong with discussing whether the guys the right option for us or not, but the match to match over analysis is a bit draining and it feels agenda driven.

Particularly after a performance which was good, if not great. But certainly nowhere near "poor".

Fair post mate. Im not adverse to change. Im on the fence. Said it midweek after Tynecastle. I do feel hes singled out harshly though, which i find strange.

Nothing wrong with discussing whether the guys the right option for us or not, but the match to match over analysis is a bit draining and it feels agenda driven.

Particularly after a performance which was good, if not great. But certainly nowhere near "poor".
If you genuinely think Morelos put in a good performance today then it either shows how low the bar has fallen or that you’re not calling it honestly.

...and you are by calling it a poor performance?
Yeah. He wasn’t alone. IMO as a team most players were fairly poor today so he wasn’t alone.

Didn’t do much and missed 1 great chance and another reasonable chance.

He’s our lone striker so we need that person to be scoring these chances for us. He doesn’t do it regularly enough.

I’m a big critic of his, but I don’t think he was terrible today, he wasn’t good but not the only one annd definitely should have done better infront of goal.

But he’s improving, I think a lot of that is to do with knowing no decent club are interested and we’re not giving him improved terms, he’s applying himself and playing for his future.

Should he get a new deal? On reduced terms with view to selling him as soon as we can, when he is performing yes. It would be a business decision only.

A few million we could get for him performing under contract could be reinvested in a more reliable player.

Same or improved terms, absolutely no chance if that’s his insistence then I wouldn’t at all be sad to see him go.

Last edited:
I thought he didn't get involved enough today personally but that might not have been his fault. The way he came back a matter of weeks ago it's no wonder people are scrutinising his every movement, still a lot of fans he has to win over (again)

He had 5 months out, missed pre season and the previous manager wasn't exactly up on keeping players in prime condition, he saw that as the players responsibility.

Morelos is clearly getting back to form. I'd keep him if we can do the right deal with him.
His attempts to convert good chances are dreadful.

Yeah. He wasn’t alone. IMO as a team most players were fairly poor today so he wasn’t alone.

He’s our lone striker so we need that person to be scoring these chances for us. He doesn’t do it regularly enough.

Fair post. I disagree with poor, but i see where you are coming from.

Incidentally Sakala was up there for much of the game too, and he never had a sniff, likewise Colak missed a simple pass that would have given Tillman a tap in. But thats football. I wouldnt expect a thread where people ripped into either of them for it.

Il leave it there mate. Im spending too much time on the negative stuff when weve just won again - no need for me to re-live the dark times of the Gio era for no reason.

Have a good one buddy.

Why didnt you say that a few posts ago then?

Morelos has to define his role he's either a striker or a midfielder he cannot do both he's far too often outside the box.
I didn't think he was that bad today and linked up well but as a team we were sluggish.

i`m sorry but he has to take at least one of the three glaring chances he had today. that would have avoided us potentially having drawn the game had the free kick not went in.

I`m not sure what is wrong with morelos these days, but he needs to get back to the player that would have scored those chances. Colak would have i believe. maybe he knows he`s leaving at the end of the season and he`s unsettled.

i`m sorry but he has to take at least one of the three glaring chances he had today. that would have avoided us potentially having drawn the game had the free kick not went in.

I`m not sure what is wrong with morelos these days, but he needs to get back to the player that would have scored those chances. Colak would have i believe. maybe he knows he`s leaving at the end of the season and he`s unsettled.
6 goals and 4 assists in 800 minutes under Beale for him.

Every single poor/average performance he has we’ve got people claiming he’s unsettled or he doesn’t want to be here. Maybe he’s just been poor?

Morelos has to define his role he's either a striker or a midfielder he cannot do both he's far too often outside the box.
I didn't think he was that bad today and linked up well but as a team we were sluggish.
Can’t remember off the top of my head but a post match interview from Beale (maybe Kilmarnock away) he said he prefers Morelos dropping deep - having more touches and being more involved in the game.

My issue with Morelos today outwith his poor finishing was how deep he was coming to get the ball, he was part of the problem for our poor forward play today, we have 2 attacking full backs, Kent, Cantwell and Tillman, absolutely no need for Morelos to come as deep.

My issue with Morelos today outwith his poor finishing was how deep he was coming to get the ball, he was part of the problem for our poor forward play today, we have 2 attacking full backs, Kent, Cantwell and Tillman, absolutely no need for Morelos to come as deep.
He’s been told by Beale to do it.

Can’t remember off the top of my head but a post match interview from Beale (maybe Kilmarnock away) he said he prefers Morelos dropping deep - having more touches and being more involved in the game.
The 55 season was the season we started doing that with him & it was one of the reasons why we did win the league.

Maybe he shouldn’t do it as much as he does but it’s obviously part of the tactics.

I was done with him after Hibernian at the start of the season. I don't want us entertaining him staying at all. He takes the total mick out of us and a couple of goals here and there have some making noises that they want him to stay. Case of thanks for the memories but time up at this club. Time for us to part ways.

He was poor today.

This thread is titled with his name therefore folk are hardly going to list the entire 7-8 who were poor.

Watching him trying to control the ball in the box to get a shot away was utterly painful today. His passing wayward also.

We need better & thankfully with Beale’s comments re: No.9, he knows this too.

The 55 season was the season we started doing that with him & it was one of the reasons why we did win the league.

Maybe he shouldn’t do it as much as he does but it’s obviously part of the tactics.

That season we at least had goals elsewhere in the team - Roofe, Tav and Kent were in double figures, Arfield, Aribo and Defoe had 7/8 goals each

If Beale's asking Morelos to perform that role then he needs runners and goals around him. We lack both in abundance.

That's not a Morelos problem, that's a team problem.

That season we at least had goals elsewhere in the team - Roofe, Tav and Kent were in double figures, Arfield, Aribo and Defoe had 7/8 goals each

If Beale's asking Morelos to perform that role then he needs runners and goals around him. We lack both in abundance.

That's not a Morelos problem, that's a team problem.
Tillman aside our wingers/midfielders don’t score anywhere near the amount of goals they should. 5 players have scored more than 5 goals which is awful.

If we had consistent scorers out with strikers then I don’t think we’d have people questioning Morelos coming deep.

Reactions: SDF
He’s was alright today but he really has to tighten up his finishing. I’ve always felt he was scrutinised far too harshly for missed chances but he really has made an arse of a lot of glaring chances this season.

Back