Who do you think the were the subs Beale was critical off after the game

Thomas Bryce

Official Ticketer
Picked up a bit of the post-match presser and Beale says he has to maybe look at himself for making changes in 2nd half to keep players sattisfied (or a word to that effect), then went onto say some of the subs that came on played for themselves and not for the team. Who do you think he was getting at?

Kamara for Sakala was as mental a decision as you'll ever see.
He says in the interview that when he replaced Lundstram with Tillman early doors he was seeking to go all-out attack. Sounded as though he was of the view that didn't work and it hampered us defensively so, perhaps, seeking to bring back some balance with the Kamara/Sakala substitution. Didn't really have the desired effect, same as with the first sub, but I think that was the intent.

Last edited:
Sakala doesn't seem like he'll be one you can trust on a yellow not to do something stupid a second time. Wright was probably a more obvious like for like, but Kamara going into shore things up in midfield made sense to me with Tillman and Cantwell capable of going wide right.
Wright is a a major downgrade on both quality and impact so Kamara came on because he's a much better player and safer change.

Just didn't work, it happens.

Save the drama for yo' Zambia.

Wright once again picks ball up deep in their half and instead of keeping ball strikes a feeble attempt straight into keepers hands fae about 30 yards.

Many times does this boy do this when trying to protect a lead.

Scott Wright was as ineffective as usual, I just don't see him having a future with us at all if I'm honest.

Colak was also poor, he has very little speed and really hasn't kicked on since his purple patch at the start of the season.

Beale should look at himself for making so many needless subs at one time when it’s only 2-1.

The decision to make the change(s) is as much to blame as the performances of the players who were introduced.

Picked up a bit of the post-match presser and Beale says he has to maybe look at himself for making changes in 2nd half to keep players sattisfied (or a word to that effect), then went onto say some of the subs that came on played for themselves and not for the team. Who do you think he was getting at?
Colak probably.

I think the whole Kamara for Sakala sub was Beale second guessing himself. He elected to start with 2 defensive mids then went to one and that substitution took him back to two again. If he'd gone Kamara for Lundstram and Tillman for Sakala no one would be that fazed

Kamara for Sakala was as mental a decision as you'll ever see.

I don't think it wa actually that crazy. Just never worked.

Tillman for Lundstram meant we were really attacking but we weren't overly getting anywhere. Potentially too many similar players trying to take up the same spaces. I think his thinking was more that bring on Kamara for an attacker would reset the formation to the starting one which is how we had obviously prepared.

Just didn't really change anything.

Last edited:
Sakala was pretty poor and we still have Cantwell, Morelos, Kent and Tillman in the 11.

Colak was poor when he came on as well.

He says in the interview that when he replaced Lundstram with Tillman early doors he was seeking to go all-out attack. Sounded as though he was of the view that didn't work and it hampered us defensively so, perhaps, seeking to bring back some balance with the Kamara/Sakala substitution. Didn't really have the desired effect, same as with the first sub, but I think that was the intent.
I don't think it did work in general yet it was Tillman that got the opener

All out attack left us out of shape, and there was so much rotation it was hard to tell who was playing where. It was summed up in the first half when Alfie got the ball in the right looked up and there was no one in the box so he had to cross it to barisic

Colak looked like he hasn't played for ages......oh wait!
:rolleyes:
You can't expect him to come on after months out and within 10 mins be playing like Lewandowski ffs!
I don't think he was the one "playing for himself and not the team" he was just way off the pace and clearly not match fit.
I suspect Beale was referring to Kamara but can't be sure.

Sakala doesn't seem like he'll be one you can trust on a yellow not to do something stupid a second time. Wright was probably a more obvious like for like, but Kamara going into shore things up in midfield made sense to me with Tillman and Cantwell capable of going wide right.
The trouble is he doe,snt shore things up he just has no idea

Kamara didnt play like he could, we had about 4 v 2 at the end but he stopped and played it back. He also got tackled by Jack in that wee spell before they scored.

I thought Colak was hopeless, he looks slower than a week in jail.

He was poor and looked very sluggish.

Hopefully rediscovers early season form but not convinced he suits our style.

We shall see.
He doesn’t mate , I understand everybody’s frustration regarding the buff , but he’s the only striker that can do the job we need , we’ve not got anybody else at the club that can play like him on Wednesday and your talking millions to replace him , Colak got goals at Ibrox earlier in the season but apart from Tynecastle he was almost bullied away from home

Kamara needs to look himself in the mirror as looked like he couldn’t be arsed today. Was hopeful he would be revitalised under Beale, however today he reverted to his attitude under Gio.
Well recognised I fully agree

He doesn’t mate , I understand everybody’s frustration regarding the buff , but he’s the only striker that can do the job we need , we’ve not got anybody else at the club that can play like him on Wednesday and your talking millions to replace him , Colak got goals at Ibrox earlier in the season but apart from Tynecastle he was almost bullied away from home
That’s a good point, just checked and he has played in 14 away games and only scored in 2 of them.

The problem with the two advanced midfielders is you can only really do it you invert one of the fullbacks. Beale did that with Tav but more when we were attacking as he isn't really great narrow when building play. Yilmaz’s return will help us in that regard. So I understand the Kamara for Sakala change

Back