Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

Don't want to derail the thread but did Rangers confirm which rows would be affected?

It seemed to make headlines at the AGM then nothing,

Don't want to derail the thread but did Rangers confirm which rows would be affected?

It seemed to make headlines at the AGM then nothing,

Not yet. Greg Marshall mentioned in a thread last week that this was still with the architects

I'm sure the disabled section can be improved without the removal of 1,000 seats. Are you happy that our stadium will now have a sub 50,000 capacity.

The board were very wooly with their words when it came to further expansion to off set this. I don't believe for a second it will happen
You are wrong, the disabled section cannot be improved without removing other seats. Because, and quite rightly so, a worm's eye, restricted view of the pitch from below the camber and exposed to all the elements is no longer acceptable as the only option.

The disabled supporters deserve, as much as the stadium allows, the same choice and facilities as everyone else. And finally the new european regulations will ensure they get it. The biggest shame in all of this is that successive boards promised to do it for decades yet continually ignored it and kicked it down the road. And the likes of Partick Thistle and other clubs showed them the way.

There are many things to be unhappy about re our board and Ibrox, but providing facilities for disabled supporters is absolutely not one of them - even if it did cost a few hundred seats.

And unlike you, I am certain the cantilever work and extra seats will go in to counter it and actually increase the capacity and income as well.

You are wrong, the disabled section cannot be improved without removing other seats. Because, and quite rightly so, a worm's eye, restricted view of the pitch from below the camber and exposed to all the elements is no longer acceptable as the only option.

The disabled supporters deserve, as much as the stadium allows, the same choice and facilities as everyone else. And finally the new european regulations will ensure they get it. The biggest shame in all of this is that successive boards promised to do it for decades yet continually ignored it and kicked it down the road. And the likes of Partick Thistle and other clubs showed them the way.

There are many things to be unhappy about re our board and Ibrox, but providing facilities for disabled supporters is absolutely not one of them - even if it did cost a few hundred seats.

And unlike you, I am certain the cantilever work and extra seats will go in to counter it and actually increase the capacity and income as well.
Don’t disagree with your post aside from the highlighted section.

What are you basing that on? I would’ve expected the club to have outlined potential costs involved and floated the idea of a debenture type set up but that’s still to materialise. If it’s not getting done during the summer break, it can be written off for at least another season.

I don’t like the idea of reducing to say 49,000, however, the board have made a commitment now, so it will have to happen. Personally, it needs a wider reshuffle for the benefit of all. (Soft hospitality, safe standing, family zones etc)

The offset in doing the right thing, it’s only going to be circa £200k per annum.

It’s hardly moving the needle.

What are you basing that on? I would’ve expected the club to have outlined potential costs involved and floated the idea of a debenture type set up but that’s still to materialise. If it’s not getting done during the summer break, it can be written off for at least another season.
The resolution at the agm passing and allowing further equity in to the club over the next 5 years.

And that has already started, so funds will be ok without a debenture scheme etc.

The resolution at the agm passing and allowing further equity in to the club over the next 5 years.

And that has already started, so funds will be ok without a debenture scheme etc.
I agree the disabled section needs improving. But have you not seen what's been happening with this board. We still haven't replaced the sides of the broomloan and Copland yet! This cantilever stuff is pie in the sky and we'll be stuck with the smallest Ibrox we've had in 25 years. But best in class etc etc.

The cantilevers can be installed during the season without affecting normal match day operations.

The cantilevers can be installed during the season without affecting normal match day operations.
Maybe I’d misunderstood, I thought the chat was it would require work on the existing steel beams at either side of broomloan and Copland to help support the additional weight

If work can be done during the session then that’s no where near as bad as first feared

I agree the disabled section needs improving. But have you not seen what's been happening with this board. We still haven't replaced the sides of the broomloan and Copland yet! This cantilever stuff is pie in the sky and we'll be stuck with the smallest Ibrox we've had in 25 years. But best in class etc etc.

If UEFA decide that Clubs without disabled facilities that meet their requirements cannot play in European competitions unless the match takes place where do you want us to play Hampden, Murrayfield or Parkhead?

If they decide that non compliant clubs can play in their own grounds but only with a capacity that is pro rata with the requirements you'll be happy to play at Ibrox with a capacity restricted to circa 22k is that correct?

Maybe I’d misunderstood, I thought the chat was it would require work on the existing steel beams at either side of broomloan and Copland to help support the additional weight

If work can be done during the session then that’s no where near as bad as first feared

Not only can it be done during the season it can be done one section at a time.

This for me….. the heiracy back then should have planned for a bigger stadium (20 20 hindsight I know) but the reduction was too much, it’s one thing I grudgingly give Murray credit for was exploring ways to increase and enhance the stadium. he ballsed the corners up with the screens but if I remember the beam back ideas played a big part in this

Ironically enough Murray bears more responsibility than any other individual for the scandalous disabled facilities at Ibrox. Though he did install a lift for himself.

If UEFA decide that Clubs without disabled facilities that meet their requirements cannot play in European competitions unless the match takes place where do you want us to play Hampden, Murrayfield or Parkhead?

If they decide that non compliant clubs can play in their own grounds but only with a capacity that is pro rata with the requirements you'll be happy to play at Ibrox with a capacity restricted to circa 22k is that correct?
Lots of ifs and buts here. Where have you plucked this 22k figure from?

Lots of ifs and buts here. Where have you plucked this 22k figure from?

It's the difference between what we currently have circa 110 spaces (the majority of which don't meet the current code) and the required formula circa 250+.

So do dont be shy what's your preference playing European games infront of a reduced capacity at Ibrox or not playing European games at Ibrox period because if Rangers don't meet the requirements those are the 2 options?

It's the difference between what we currently have circa 110 spaces (the majority of which don't meet the current code) and the required formula circa 250+.

So do dont be shy what's your preference playing European games infront of a reduced capacity at Ibrox or not playing European games at Ibrox period because if Rangers don't meet the requirements those are the 2 options?

Im not buying it at all that UEFA would have us down to 22k due to disabled facilities.

Im not buying it at all that UEFA would have us down to 22k due to disabled facilities.

Don't buy it then, stick your head in the sand and do nothing while the rest of Europe marches on ahead.

^^^^That's what's coming slowly but surely.

Don't buy it then, stick your head in the sand and do nothing while the rest of Europe marches on ahead.

Ok my head will remain firmly in the sand because i dont believe that would happen.

Ok my head will remain firmly in the sand because i dont believe that would happen.

He's been banging that drum for a good wee while yet UEFA haven't cut the capacity. His particular party trick is to accuse anyone who is pro Safe-Standing of being "Anti Disabled" in threads where it gets brought up.

Now whilst the disabled facilities are shocking and the sooner the situation is fixed the better, accusing people who are Pro Safe-Standing of being "Anti-Disabled" isn't likely to get them on your side nor is it likely to expedite the process.

How much of the population are permanently confined to a wheelchair, 0.1-0.2. Lot of hassle to ensure that such a small percentage of people get to watch the match with an elevated view.

He's been banging that drum for a good wee while yet UEFA haven't cut the capacity. His particular party trick is to accuse anyone who is pro Safe-Standing of being "Anti Disabled" in threads where it gets brought up.

Now whilst the disabled facilities are shocking and the sooner the situation is fixed the better, accusing people who are Pro Safe-Standing of being "Anti-Disabled" isn't likely to get them on your side nor is it likely to expedite the process.

Pray tell where have I ever accused anyone who is pro safe standing of being anti disabled?

How much of the population are permanently confined to a wheelchair, 0.1-0.2. Lot of hassle to ensure that such a small percentage of people get to watch the match with an elevated view.

So only able bodied people are worthy of having an unrestricted view, of having shelter from the elements of having a choice which stand to sit in?

So by your logic a lifelong Rangers fan who had his legs blown off by an IED in Afghanistan just needs to suck it up and watch us from a lower than pitch restricted view in the pissing rain because it might inconvenience some people who may have to move seats?

it’s not before time this was implemented the problem is the lack of ambition by our board to increase overall capacity and implement safe standing.

Season ticket renewals must only be a few weeks away, you’d imagine a decision must have been made by now regarding who is being moved and when work will commence.

I’m sorry but there is absolutely no chance that UEFA would start enforcing partial stadium closures because of undersized disabled seating areas. Just won’t happen.

This doesn’t mean I disagree with Ibrox needing better facilities, the ones we have just now are shocking.

What are Celtic’s disabled facilities like? Can’t be too much different from ours surely.

I’m sorry but there is absolutely no chance that UEFA would start enforcing partial stadium closures because of undersized disabled seating areas. Just won’t happen.

This doesn’t mean I disagree with Ibrox needing better facilities, the ones we have just now are shocking.

What are Celtic’s disabled facilities like? Can’t be too much different from ours surely.
Of course it would happen ffs.

Was talking to the people around me about this today (CF2 row X) and can't see it this summer it's too close to renewal time now. I've said this before but it would be ideal if all the work could be done at the same time and just move people affected to the new cantilever sections. Only thing is I don't think the club has the funds for the cantilever sections?

I think he’s been spearheading this initiative with the club for two decades, so likely just passionate.
Appreciate that, but he seems to have attitude towards those who are concerned about losing their seats. Any right minded person wants to see better disabled facilities but it needs proper consultation with those affected, not a f**k you, your moving tough shit attitude that he seems to have.

I honesty think our club will get this one right ,either the disabled areas and cantilever on one stand at the same time or do both stands at the same time ,
Just my opinion

Appreciate that, but he seems to have attitude towards those who are concerned about losing their seats. Any right minded person wants to see better disabled facilities but it needs proper consultation with those affected, not a f**k you, your moving tough shit attitude that he seems to have.

I think, like most things, the club do a dreadful job in terms of proactive engagement.

I’d use the opportunity to rip up the current arrangement and redefine the whole lot.

Do safe standing in the BF and CF at the same time - pitch the idea of a rover style ticket in there. (Just limit to 1-1 given the euro restrictions).

That would unlock a whole host of seat moves and allow people to regroup/re-pair.

The current shit show is exactly how I would expect us to have managed it, but it does need done all the same.

Able bodied fans can sit anywhere. They have choices. Disabled fans don't. It's time they were treated like a part of the Rangers support rather than be seen as a problem.

Able bodied fans can sit anywhere. They have choices. Disabled fans don't. It's time they were treated like a part of the Rangers support rather than be seen as a problem.
I was looking at the ticket map the other day for todays game, finding 2 seats together was like enduring a full series of the Krypton Factor, they just going to split familes up who currently sit together? Also there are plenty of other disabled people that may be in those seats, just because they aren't in a wheelchair doesn't make them able bodied.

I was looking at the ticket map the other day for todays game, finding 2 seats together was like enduring a full series of the Krypton Factor, they just going to split familes up who currently sit together? Also there are plenty of other disabled people that may be in those seats, just because they aren't in a wheelchair doesn't make them able bodied.
I believe the waiting list for a season ticket in the wheelchair section is 10 years. A fcking decade! And it's not like anyone in a wheelchair can pick up tickets from friends, family or supporters buses.

Wait until there's more info on how they reallocate tickets. I'd be gobsmacked if they split families. But they might need to relocate.

We need to stop thinking of our wheelchair and disabled supporters being a hindrance. They are part of the Rangers support like you and me.

I believe the waiting list for a season ticket in the wheelchair section is 10 years. A fcking decade! And it's not like anyone in a wheelchair can pick up tickets from friends, family or supporters buses.

Wait until there's more info on how they reallocate tickets. I'd be gobsmacked if they split families. But they might need to relocate.

We need to stop thinking of our wheelchair and disabled supporters being a hindrance. They are part of the Rangers support like you and me.
I'm not disagreeing with you, all I ask for is proper consultation with all parties involved.

Think it's a good move for the area, would rather have businesses that can attract people closer to Ibrox.

In terms of building houses infront of Ibrox, of that I am absolutely against.

Not sure what to make of that.On the one hand good to see at least some sort of development of surrounding wasteland.

However it increasingly feels like our stadium is being hemmed in.

Back