Do we need to discuss that VAR today?

DeeGer10

I actually think it was wrong on two occasions. I have no confidence in it after seeing these or is it just the angles making it look onside?

The Motherwell first goal:

6-DFAF5-C1-A7-FC-4-B60-B0-F2-751-FADED8-B22.jpg

Sakala in the build up to 3-2…

753-B3491-686-F-444-F-9-A9-B-C23-C4072167-B.jpg

The lines across the pitch are drawn by a computer based on calibrated cameras and angles. It's not as simple as drawing a line and keeping it the same distance from the mowed line on the pitch (which might not be perpendicular to the edges of the pitch anyway!) due to perspective.

I thought they used Goldsons back as the last line? It didn't look right to me.

Looked on to me, looked off using Sky’s freeze frame shot but the VAR frame was onside.

The armchair fan is never going to know unless we get a plan view of the pitch. There’s too much going on, camera angles, camera lens calibration, perspective view etc. plus we’re all assuming the lines & stripes on the pitch are perpendicular, parallel and collinear. That view of the Motherwell goal is horrific for us to work it out from. I’m assuming they’ll have calibrated where the near side touchline lines up with a corresponding point on the far touchline.

Techie Drawing Loyal

Last edited:
The armchair fan is never going to know unless we get a plan view of the pitch. There’s too much going on, camera angles, camera lens calibration, perspective view etc. plus we’re all assuming the lines & stripes on the pitch are perpendicular and collinear. That view of the Motherwell goal is horrific for us to work it out from. I’m assuming they’ll have calibrated where the near side touchline lines up with a corresponding point on the far touchline
I completely agree.

Both looked offside to me, but we either trust the technology or we don’t.

The armchair fan is never going to know unless we get a plan view of the pitch. There’s too much going on, camera angles, camera lens calibration, perspective view etc. plus we’re all assuming the lines & stripes on the pitch are perpendicular and collinear. That view of the Motherwell goal is horrific for us to work it out from. I’m assuming they’ll have calibrated where the near side touchline lines up with a corresponding point on the far touchline
VAR being lined up in Scotland.

Left a bit, naw a wee touch right. Left again, wee bit further. Ach, too far. Bring it back to the right. Fukit, that'll dae. If there's any complaints we'll tell them the pitch lines are wonky, no our set up. Fuk them anyway.

The lines across the pitch are drawn by a computer based on calibrated cameras and angles. It's not as simple as drawing a line and keeping it the same distance from the mowed line on the pitch (which might not be perpendicular to the edges of the pitch anyway!) due to perspective.
In other words the Motherwell groundsman hasn’t cut the grass straight.haha

Is it just me or are the angles available to VAR in Scotland generally pretty poor? I dont watch a vast amount of English football but i cant recall seeing (as many) bad angles during VAR reviews.

Is it just me or are the angles available to VAR in Scotland generally pretty poor? I dont watch a vast amount of English football but i cant recall seeing (as many) bad angles during VAR reviews.

They are terrible but it comes down to a lack of money.

I might be wrong here but I think Scotland has 4 angles for the VAR (outwith Rangers, Celtic and tv matches) and other leagues have 10+ angles.

Lost me Sorry

There's no way to tell from what we see on the TV, for the reasons mentioned in posts above.

For that reason, we just need to trust the technology.

Think both were offside.

Don't understand why the Motherwell goalscorer wasn't deemed offside at that point though as well.

They are terrible but it comes down to a lack of money.

I might be wrong here but I think Scotland has 4 angles for the VAR (outwith Rangers, Celtic and tv matches) and other leagues have 10+ angles.
Unless the VAR cameras need to be synchronised with eachother in some way, i cant see how the cost is prohibitive, particularly for top flight clubs.

You'd think the cost of a couple of extra cameras and operators wouldnt be astronomical. As they'd only be for VAR and not broadcast, they could even be operated by analysts/media staff who are already used to filming games and are already being paid.

Big caveat being i have no idea how any of this works B-D

Do you have proof of this as I don't believe they are.

I assumed the same pre season and was shot down over it.

I thought both were off and that was my initial thinking, no harm done then as both were given.

The camera angles today for the viewer were woeful.

Remember For Park has a slope on the pitch from the far side down to the main stand side. This might cause the line to look "off" when looking from the side. Not sure it makes it better or worse though

What annoys me is we pushed up to catch them offside, then a player in an offside position scores the goal, he had a start getting into the box to score.
Goldson running back couldn’t connect to the ball crossed as he would have probably scored another own goal.

Here is why the line doesn't look straight, but it actually is.

b50rdht9p8y31.png

Yup. Same thing for Sakala:
fFrXEPk.png

Orange lines create a triangle with a vanisning point. Blue lines are 25%, 50% and 75% of the stripe in the field.

It's close but Sakala was level.

Edit:

That said, due to lens distortion, the lines to not always converge on the exact same point:

JQ3eKEt.png

So for the Motherwell goal, you will see that the blue line I have drawn, which is 25% of the grass line, is actually wider at the near-side and far-side, compared to the middle.

Either way, both calls were correct..

Last edited:
I think both were so incredibly tight that as Beale alluded to after the game, the benefit should be applied to the attacking team.

In that way of looking at it, both decisions were correct.

Problem I have with the M'well 1st goal is, I think the player who received the ball then crossed it is just on side. However the goalscorer is a metre offside when the ball is played forward, its the same passage of play.

Just catching the game now.
Motherwell 1st goal; the VAR line is way out . The var line starts at camera side about a yard from the line in the grass , when at Goldson in middle of park, it's about 2 foot from grass line and it's about a foot from grass line at far side of pitch .

Joke.

We should definitely ask the question as I'm certain Motherwell's first goal is offside.

I think both were offside, but I believe the version used in Scotland doesn't have the angles to view that the English version has.

The officials in VAR land have more cameras available than what we see on Sky

And that's the problem, how hard is it for us to get a connection from the VAR camera to the stadium to prove it?

When watching I thought at first the Motherwell one was offside. But on seeing replays and stills it was onside.
Salaka, again I thought was offside, but again camera angles were not good. Maybe I'm just being VaRanoid but on both they were both good goals and I would blame defending on both.

VAR being lined up in Scotland.

Left a bit, naw a wee touch right. Left again, wee bit further. Ach, too far. Bring it back to the right. Fukit, that'll dae. If there's any complaints we'll tell them the pitch lines are wonky, no our set up. Fuk them anyway.
That's probably more accurate than you think mate. :))

Back