Time for change posters on every seat today

100%

We have an element of support who are beginning to accept 2nd place on all fronts is just all we are ever going to be. This board have made so much mess along the years they have took us as far as they can.

Nothing against Beale he's doing an acceptable job so far but the guys going to have to hunt the bargain bin in the summer looking for a miracle to turn this around.
Do you think that we all are happy with 2nd best? We were 2nd best the only time we ever won a european trophy or does that not count as much because they won the league.

Far too many are used to the days from 1986 and thought that was the norm, it certainly wasn't.

I’m going to go on the assumption that the targets are Wilson and Robertson here.

Wilson is a divisive figure. I was at the AGM where he conducted an, at times, fairly robust defence of himself. The message I took away was essentially “we went after who the manager wanted, I just do scouting and negotiating”. Easy enough to pin it on Gio given he’d just been binned. Trying to be impartial at the time my main thought was “if he’s telling the truth here and then the question that needs to be asked is what is his actual job and responsibilities so we can properly assess his performance?”. I think this needs to be questioned asked going forward.

Robertson comes across as an arse. Putting the fact that he's “Rangers man” to one side I can see why he is isn’t liked personally at the SPFL, SFA and amongst his peers. That in itself is an issue, how can he attempt to build relationships and influence the agenda. From a purely business perspective though, with the club on the road to self sufficiency, I can see why the board consider him at least a partial success so, like others, I don’t see him going. The UBs also don’t help themselves here since it’s looked from the outside like they’ve had a rocky relationship with him for years since he refused safe standing, moving them to the Copeland/Govan corner etc. if they want to make their feelings known then crack on but I think they’ll come a cropper on this one given that they’re in a weak position.

I’ve been a big fan of what they’ve done in recent years, but I’m with you.

They are NOT helping our club with this.

Hope they let us all know who has £50
million plus to come in to replace the current board.
The usual kop out, as fans, it's not our job to find investors, but have no answers at all. Either put up or shut up.

It's like some start the day with a quick google search for a negative Rangers story. Find one, then straight onto FF for another day of misery.

Its hardly the same situation.
How’s it not? We’ve got the second biggest budget by a mile and the majority of the squad were here last season for our European run to the final

We’ve dropped points against Hibs, St Johnstone, Livingston and St Mirren this season. The reason we’re behind Celtic is our inability to win against teams that have a fraction of our budget

So I’m not really getting this narrative that we should just accept second place

Forgot Robertson and Wilson have invested millions into rangers

Must’ve missed that one

Good to see the level of support from within the stand for the protest today. Think it's pretty clear that the protests are targeted primarily at Robertson and Wilson. Fully support the notion that we need change in both of those positions.

Good to see the level of support from within the stand for the protest today. Think it's pretty clear that the protests are targeted primarily at Robertson and Wilson. Fully support the notion that we need change in both of those positions.
It is mainly them but it will I think move towards the board at some point.

I think the board needs a fresh direction or ideas it doesn't mean the current board or investors need to leave but it does need either non execs with new ideas or if needed be investors

I agree we should evaluate their positions but this is a daft take make. Mediocrity? Since 55 we have come with a PK away from a European trophy that no Scottish team has any right to be near and won the Scottish cup. We are losing this league partly because they didn’t bin gio but also because we have never had a season like this with injuries. Add that to the fact Celtic are on course to break a points record. I fully expect beale to win the league next season and for us to win the SC Semi. Calling the last couple of years mediocrity is harsh and untrue.
@TJ72 has captured the main criticism very well in his post #204

These guys are nothing like spivs, people posting that are mental.

It’s always a major problem when we are second in a two horse race, I could handle that just now given the difference in spend across the city and their levels of consistency this season.
My big problem with Robertson is this squad has been on a downward trajectory for at least a season and half.

The failure to manage contracts properly
The failure to transition key players beyond their peak performance out the door in a manageable way. We still have the same massive issue in that we can’t win the games that matter.
The lack of vision and poor communication from the chairman, see his comments at the AGM as an example

Every thing we are at the moment is typical of an organisation, that at best, is standing still. An organisation where mediocre performance is accepted all too easily.

We have a cultural issue and although I don’t know for a fact, I would be willing to bet that attitude and culture is evident throughout the football operation.
That’s on Robertson primarily as the RFC LT`D MD and on Wilson as the Sporting Director.
Its no accident that the one area we are performing well in under Robertson’s team is in Commercial & Marketing with Bisgrove. Typical of an organisation run well by very good business men, not football men, and yes, understand there is a balance.

I believe the PLC board, investors and the fan base are playing a blinder in terms of maximising income..All I am saying is the MD and the SD are are under performing in the one area that matters to the fans, performance and titles. If we change nothing and let the Manager and his staff, along with Wilson attempt to rebuild this team then we will continue to see the same second rate output for another few year to come,

Beale has come into this job at a very difficult time and there are a lot of unnecessary legacy issues to deal with. It’s my view he is going to need the entire footballing operation, including staff, re optimised to take us to a dominate position in this country.

It’s not easy, it’s very difficult, especially given the financial constraints, but that along with our current trajectory, is primarily why we need to change now.
Robertson and `Wilson are not the men to get us there.
We don’t need to hang them from a lamppost, we just need to find and employ a much higher calibre of leaders to support this massively important transition.
As said, I would also like Park to appoint a suitably experienced CEO to run the club day to day.

How’s it not? We’ve got the second biggest budget by a mile and the majority of the squad were here last season for our European run to the final

We’ve dropped points against Hibs, St Johnstone, Livingston and St Mirren this season. The reason we’re behind Celtic is our inability to win against teams that have a fraction of our budget

So I’m not really getting this narrative that we should just accept second place

Do we really need to go through the events of 2012 until now, again?

It's well documented the difference in incomes of the clubs since then.

We lost that squad that Walter built for nothing in the summer of 2012. It was worth upwards of £50m and we had to start from scratch. Celtic sold players from their squad that season for circa 30m and were able to build on what they had, to the point they have sold over 150m worth of players since then, had 4 or 5 years access to CL money and are operating from a position of having 10s of millions cash reserves.

We on thenother hand are only just getting back to being a self sufficient club, and have been relying on directors loans to see us through the season.

Nobody in the support "settles" for 2nd best. Some just accept reality a bit better than others and realise we are still in our recovery.

No doubt I'll get told that we can't keep hanging onto 2012 as an excuse. And they would be right, but we still aren't far enough down the line for it not to be a factor.

Go back and find threads from 2012 when people in our support were actually wanting to be put in the bottom league. Those who had a bit of foresight were saying then that this situation we are in now is exactly what would happen. Was obvious this would be what occurred.

Even when King took over in 2015, he said then investment would be front loaded until were on top and then the club would need to be self sufficient. That's what's happened (covid giving us a major setback along the way)

Replacing Wilson and Robertson isn't a magic spell that will suddenly make us the top dog again. Even with somebody else in place it will still take us time.

Trophies are essential at rangers. We sing about being the most successful team in football.

Second is last in Glasgow, it’s that simple
Never a guarantee though. We had to out spend everyone to get us out of the mess we were in during the 80's, but now that we can't and are 2nd financially, everyone wants to burn the house down.

Club first for me and if that means a few lean years, then so be it. That's not accepting 2nd best, it's accepting reality. Don't want this club even close to being wound up ever again.

Last edited:

We lost that squad that Walter built for nothing in the summer of 2012. It was worth upwards of £50m and we had to start from scratch. Celtic sold players from their squad that season for circa 30m and were able to build on what they had, to the point they have sold over 150m worth of players since then, had 4 or 5 years access to CL money and are operating from a position of having 10s of millions cash reserves.

We on thenother hand are only just getting back to being a self sufficient club, and have been relying on directors loans to see us through the season.

Nobody in the support "settles" for 2nd best. Some just accept reality a bit better than others and realise we are still in our recovery.

No doubt I'll get told that we can't keep hanging onto 2012 as an excuse. And they would be right, but we still aren't far enough down the line for it not to be a factor.

Go back and find threads from 2012 when people in our support were actually wanting to be put in the bottom league. Those who had a bit of foresight were saying then that this situation we are in now is exactly what would happen. Was obvious this would be what occurred.

Even when King took over in 2015, he said then investment would be front loaded until were on top and then the club would need to be self sufficient. That's what's happened (covid giving us a major setback along the way)

Replacing Wilson and Robertson isn't a magic spell that will suddenly make us the top dog again. Even with somebody else in place it will still take us time.
That is in fact the reality of the situation. I honestly believe if that American woman had promised us the earth, many would have went with it and to hell with what's coming down the line.

2012 is as relevant as 1970 at present. We’ve just got to a European cup final, there’s literally none of the 2012 squad still at the club

Only tav from the lower leagues is still here. Why do people always grasp the 2012 comfort blanket. Honest to god

Most of the wee guys in the Union Bears were in primary school during the real bad times, I wonder if they'd appreciate the guys that have put their money where their mouths are when we were desperate a bit more if they had lived through it properly.

What money have Ross Wilson and Stewart Robertson put in to the club - two people the protest were directed at?

The UB's are targeting 2 paid employees of the club, Robertson and Wilson, I have zero idea how you do not know this .. Your comment is a damned disgrace, as you know sod all about the jobs or financial set up of any of the members of the UB's. Your post making assumptions that they have zero qualifications and will only be good enough for "minimum wage"jobs is disgusting.

It's working class fans who made Rangers into the institute it is today. It's young people with ever shrinking disposable incomes, who somehow manage to find ways to pour money into the club we all love. That's what makes it what it is. Working class people who support the club through thick and thin. Who make sacrifices to carry on supporting and upholding our club.

Nobody would be investing or buying a share holding in the club if we didn't have the fanbase that we do. Both are of equal importance. People should never ever lose sight of that fact.

2012 is as relevant as 1970 at present. We’ve just got to a European cup final, there’s literally none of the 2012 squad still at the club

Only tav from the lower leagues is still here. Why do people always grasp the 2012 comfort blanket. Honest to god

Because it is still relevant FFS.

It's relevant due to the financial implications it had on both clubs that we are still recovering from!

In 2015 when King and Co took over, and Stuart Roberston came on board, our turnover was 17 million. Celtic sold two players that summer and brought in 17m.

The last set of accounts was the first accounts we didn't have a loss for about 15 years!

It absolutely melts my brain that people cannot understand the financial anchor that has been round the club.

We should have won more cups along the way, especially in 20/21 season, but other than that the progress the current board have made for the club since 2015 is remarkable.

Has Robertson reached his limit in his role? Perhaps, but replacing him doesn't suddenly weaken Celtics financial position. We have to be able to match that before we see consistent success.

Its going to take more time

It’s debatable whether it’s for this thread but it certainly adds a bit of context as to why we are where we are.

I know it triggers folk harking back to 2012 but it has to be seen in context when looking at the cash available to the two clubs. You cannot simply look at the last 18 months. Here's their Euro record in the period 2012 to when Gerrard came in. Yes, they gave us some laughable performances but just look at it. If nothing else it represents a huge pot of money that wasn't available to us. A massive head start. An opportunity to stockpile funds ready for the splurge that came under the Fat Aussie. They f*cked up, they should have spent it earlier. We should probably be grateful because if they hadn't waited that long then 55 might not have come.

2012 - knock-out stages CL
2013 - group stages CL
2014 - last 16 EL
2015 - group stage EL
2016 - group stage CL
2017 - group stage CL
2018 - last 32 EL

Thereafter, looking at each clubs player trading in the last 5 years shows the following (from Transfermarkt):

2018/19 - Rangers £8m deficit, Dhims £17m profit
2019/20 - Rangers £11m deficit, Dhims £7m profit
2020/21 - Rangers £11m deficit, Dhims £2m profit
2021/22 - Rangers £11m profit, Dhims £11m profit
2022/23 - Rangers £17m profit, Dhims £17m deficit

Overall a deficit of £2m for us and a £20m profit for them in player trading alone.

The Euro performances plus their far better player trading figures over a lengthy period are what allowed them to go on the £50m+ splurge under the Fat Aussie. We simply cannot match that. Of course, that money for them is now spent, which evens things up a bit. However, right now, they appear to have better assets to sell than we do - though that can all change very quickly. 2 years ago we'd never have dreamed of seeing the money we did for Patterson and Bassey, for example.

We need to manage our way back ahead of them. Its as simple as that. There's no magic money tree on the horizon.

It’s debatable whether it’s for this thread but it certainly adds a bit of context as to why we are where we are.

I know it triggers folk harking back to 2012 but it has to be seen in context when looking at the cash available to the two clubs. You cannot simply look at the last 18 months. Here's their Euro record in the period 2012 to when Gerrard came in. Yes, they gave us some laughable performances but just look at it. If nothing else it represents a huge pot of money that wasn't available to us. A massive head start. An opportunity to stockpile funds ready for the splurge that came under the Fat Aussie. They f*cked up, they should have spent it earlier. We should probably be grateful because if they hadn't waited that long then 55 might not have come.

2013 - group stages CL
2014 - last 16 EL
2015 - group stage EL
2016 - group stage CL
2017 - group stage CL
2018 - last 32 EL

Thereafter, looking at each clubs player trading in the last 5 years shows the following (from Transfermarkt):

Overall a deficit of £2m for us and a £20m profit for them in player trading alone.

The Euro performances plus their far better player trading figures over a lengthy period are what allowed them to go on the £50m+ splurge under the Fat Aussie. We simply cannot match that. Of course, that money for them is now spent, which evens things up a bit. However, right now, they appear to have better assets to sell than we do - though that can all change very quickly. 2 years ago we'd never have dreamed of seeing the money we did for Patterson and Bassey, for example.

We need to manage our way back ahead of them. Its as simple as that. There's no magic money tree on the horizon.

I love that you have got that saved somewhere to paste into threads, repeatedly. Should make it a sticky

Because 2012 is the reason we are the 2nd most powerful club in the country.

I love that you have got that saved somewhere to paste into threads, repeatedly. Should make it a sticky
I do indeed have it saved now. Took me twenty minutes tonight to find the f*cker though, as I hadn’t saved it last time.

As you know, no matter how many times you give folk the facts on here some just cannot get their heads around the fact that the last 18 months or so didn’t wipe out the carnage of the previous 10 years.

2013 - group stages CL
2014 - last 16 EL
2015 - group stage EL
2016 - group stage CL
2017 - group stage CL
2018 - last 32 EL

All 100% correct VB and very, very relevant. Your last sentence is spot on, it’s more important than ever we have the very best we can get to do that.

In terms of the football board, I don’t think between Robertson and Wilson we have anywhere near the best.

Wilson and Robertson haven’t pumped £50m in either mate.
There’s 2 board are Rangers.

The footballing board are being paid top money and not delivering. If Van Bronckhorst and the players all got it in the neck it’s about time Smirky and Wilson did too

I do indeed have it saved now. Took me twenty minutes tonight to find the f*cker though, as I hadn’t saved it last time.

As you know, no matter how many times you give folk the facts on here some just cannot get their heads around the fact that the last 18 months or so didn’t wipe out the carnage of the previous 10 years.
I’ve read that post and it gives zero context as to why we’re behind Celtic in the league. If we were only behind Celtic because they’d beaten us twice I’d say fair enough but we’re trailing them as we’ve failed to beat teams with budgets less than a third of ours

Can’t get my head around those facts though :D

All 100% correct VB and very, very relevant. Your last sentence is spot on, it’s more important than ever we have the very best we can get to do that.

In terms of the football board, I don’t think between Robertson and Wilson we have anywhere near the best.
I don’t disagree on Robertson and Wilson mate. I won’t be hounding them out of their jobs though. The RIFC Board are much better placed to judge whether they should be doing better with whatever parameters are set for them. Neither inspire, however.

2012 is anything but a comfort blanket. It is though a touchstone that bases our recovery.

It is a fact (according to transfermarkt) that since 2012 the scum have taken taken part in group stage or later European competition every year. Assuming £20m income per year that’s £220m income and their last accounts show that even after having greatly outspending us in the transfer market they still have a bit more than £50m in the bank.

Expecting us to outspend or outperform them by some sort of right is silly. We will only succeed through gradual and incremental progression over some time.

My fear is that some of those who have brought us to where we are injecting many millions of pounds into the club on the way say, in effect, eff the ungrateful barstewards I’m selling my shareholding to such as Ashley.

I’ve read that post and it gives zero context as to why we’re behind Celtic in the league. If we were only behind Celtic because they’d beaten us twice I’d say fair enough but we’re trailing them as we’ve failed to beat teams with budgets less than a third of ours

Can’t get my head around those facts though :D
The context is that they were able to have a circa £50m splurge under the Fat Aussie in order to help them avoid the sort of slip-ups we had under GvB. That, and GvB losing the backing of his players (or so it would seem) played a large part in things.

As much as I don’t buy into the praise Fat Ange‘s team is getting - we’ve seen better Dhims teams IMHO - what we cannot deny is that their record in the League over the last 18 months is quite remarkable. Our unbeaten 55 season was incredible but neither that, nor the Dhims last 18 months, could be described as ‘typical’. Give Beale £50m and I don’t think we’d be losing to diddy teams - or anyone else domestically. That’s not going to happen though, and I’d expect them to outspend us again this Summer. That’s the reality. If we are to succeed it will be on the back of good management - or the Dhims making an arse of things. Beale has matched them in the League since he came in without too much input from his January signings. We have to hope that before the end of the season we can actually beat them a couple of times, at least.

That’s maybe not a great outlook but it’s where we are.

Last edited:
I was watching a Rangers podcast the other night and they added up the money spent and the money brought in with player sales under Wilson. He has made more money than he has spent, but a large and considerable amount was made in the Bassey sale, take Bassey out of it and it would have been grim reading.
I'm sure it was our previous manager that noticed Bassey playing against us and suggested him as a future signing
As for replacing Robertson and Wilson there must be better out there
Across city they don't have director of football and manager deals with signing s
As far replacing Robertson I think Leanne Dempsey would have done better job

2013 - group stages CL
2014 - last 16 EL
2015 - group stage EL
2016 - group stage CL
2017 - group stage CL
2018 - last 32 EL

Thing is though we were ahead of them on the pitch at least and somehow found a way to mess it up spectacularly when they had a CEO who lasted a few weeks and a second maybe third pick manager was appointed.

Had we won the league last season fat Ange would be back finishing mid table in Japan and we'd have automatic group stage entry two seasons in a row rather than the other way round.

We've handed them a guaranteed £50m in income over the last two seasons due to signings like Ramsay, Matondo, Zukowski and several others that's really nothing to do with 2012.

They are doing a great job in losing the support from the other fans.
I wasn't overly bothered by them either way but with the pathetic actions this year I am firmly against the UB now.
How many fans chose not to hold up the flyer?

Thing is though we were ahead of them on the pitch at least and somehow found a way to mess it up spectacularly when they had a CEO who lasted a few weeks and a second maybe third pick manager was appointed.

Had we won the league last season fat Ange would be back finishing mid table in Japan and we'd have automatic group stage entry two seasons in a row rather than the other way round.

We've handed them a guaranteed £50m in income over the last two seasons due to signings like Ramsay, Matondo, Zukowski and several others that's really nothing to do with 2012.
We were ahead of them on the pitch after 55 and, basically, stood still - spending under £4m. The reasons for that have been much discussed. They didn’t stand still though, they went out and spent circa £26m in season 21/22. That, and Gerrard bailing, made a huge difference.

As I said in my first post on this though, debatable whether that particular discussion belongs in this thread. As regards Robertson and Wilson I do agree, neither inspire, and we should be able to recruit better.

Is this not solely about on the park though? If we're doing better in the league, would these protests be happening?
No Robertson is a Rat, any MD should be looking to improve fan’s experience. He is the one not wanting safe standing. He’s the one who is afraid of the power UBs have. He’s honestly piss poor and it says something when Queens Park have a better MD then us.

Never a guarantee though. We had to out spend everyone to get us out of the mess we were in during the 80's, but now that we can't and are 2nd financially, everyone wants to burn the house down.

Club first for me and if that means a few lean years, then so be it. That's not accepting 2nd best, it's accepting reality. Don't want this club even close to being wound up ever again.

Still not sure as a board and fan base we are united front on the best way forward as to to how we fund the stadium/facilities/team in a sound and sustainable basis.

Think there is a lack of realism when it comes to playing in a second rate league on the periphery of Europe. We are a giant club in world terms but context is everything.

Chasing the board out and replacing them with what exactly? Another shower of parasites who want to sell the club down the river to make money? Whyte, Green, Ashley? Some of our support have terrible amnesia when it comes to ownership and still believe that the best person to run the club is always the next guy who owns the club.

Chasing the board out and replacing them with what exactly? Another shower of parasites who want to sell the club down the river to make money? Whyte, Green, Ashley? Some of our support have terrible amnesia when it comes to ownership and still believe that the best person to run the club is always the next guy who owns the club.
Park isn’t going anywhere neither is Bennett, but remember Park being Chairman was only meant to be temporary. His ego is preventing him from stepping aside.

No we didn’t. We handed them the title through McGregor’s errors against Hearts at Ibrox, Ross County at Dingwall, Motherwell at Ibrox and Scum at Ibrox. 9 points reverse from those alone which would have seen us Champions by 5 points.

Even with that we finished the season with 1 point more than a straight extrapolation from when Gerrard left would indicate. When Gerrard left after 13 league games we had 30 points, 30/13*38=87.7. We finished the season with 89 points. Our league performance over the season was consistent points accumulation wise, theirs improved dramatically.

We were ahead of them on the pitch after 55 and, basically, stood still - spending under £4m. The reasons for that have been much discussed. They didn’t stand still though, they went out and spent circa £26m in season 21/22. That, and Gerrard bailing, made a huge difference.

As I said in my first post on this though, debatable whether that particular discussion belongs in this thread. As regards Robertson and Wilson I do agree, neither inspire, and we should be able to recruit better.

Probably the main difference between the teams last season was the January window where they didn't really spend a huge amount but moved up a gear.

We signed four players who made next to no impact mostly down to Wilson and his vanity projects.

Back