Kids football - what is it about parents?

Papasmurf

Official Ticketer
At the kids football today. Ten year olds.

My kids team got hammered in the first half. 4-0. But in the Second half turned it around and they completely wiped the floor with them to win 8-4 :D

As the other team were getting beaten the players started getting nasty. One of the boys went in knee high, studs first and our player took the studs all down his knee. Left a nasty bruise.

These are ten year olds.

At the end of the game, one of the fathers was heard encouraging his kid to do it harder next time as he deserved it.

It wasn’t an isolated incident. Constant egging them on to ‘go in hard’.

What is it about kids football that turns some parents into complete arseholes?

I’m only just started to get involved in it but I presume this bollox is commonplace?

I coach my sons
2013s. Some of teams we play in the West Lothian area are rough as toast. We even had a match abandoned last year when a parent started mouthing off at a decision the referee made.

It’s also clear to see why we rarely produce any decent players as a country. Teams already poaching players that are 9 and never the ones who are actually technically good. Always the lad who can shoot from distance and thump it long

Last edited:

My kids team got hammered in the first half. 4-0. But in the Second half turned it around and they completely wiped the floor with them to win 8-4 :D

As the other team were getting beaten the players started getting nasty. One of the boys went in knee high, studs first and our player took the studs all down his knee. Left a nasty bruise.

These are ten year olds.

At the end of the game, one of the fathers was heard encouraging his kid to do it harder next time as he deserved it.

I’m only just started to get involved in it but I presume this bollox is commonplace?
My kid is 2016 age group (p2) it's horrendous.
Some of the coaches are worse than parents.

My old man was a riot at Ibrox, shouting and swearing non-stop, always wanting players to get stuck in, but when he would come and watch me he was silent. He had a reputation as a bit of a maniac with a drink in him so it always confused me when he’d come and watch me.

I got sent off in a under-12’s game once for a bad tackle and was getting pelters off the other teams sideline “yer a fn animal” etc. I expected my old man to go tonto and give some back, but he just stood there shaking his head.

When we got home I asked him “why did you not stick up for me” and he simply said “they were right you were a disgrace, a real footballer shouldn’t be kicking people like that”. That stuck with me ever since.

My old man was a riot at Ibrox, shouting and swearing non-stop, always wanting players to get stuck in, but when he would come and watch me he was silent. He had a reputation as a bit of a maniac with a drink in him so it always confused me when he’d come and watch me.

I got sent off in a under-12’s game once for a bad tackle and was getting pelters off the other teams sideline “yer a fn animal” etc. I expected my old man to go tonto and give some back, but he just stood there shaking his head.

When we got home I asked him “why did you not stick up for me” and he simply said “they were right you were a disgrace, a real footballer shouldn’t be kicking people like that”. That stuck with me ever since.
Apart from being a maniac whilst pissed he sounds like a decent father

I must admit I get told to calm it a bit when I’m on sidelines with my boys team, in my defence I’m 100% positive in all aspects of my shouts, never any profanity or owt like that either :)). An opposition player scores a beauty, I will even shout well done son, brilliant goal.

My son's team were winning by a goal and his own keeper was sprinting to get the ball for a goal kick in the last minute. Told him in the car to teach him the McGregor jog that is slower than a walk :)

Played a few 'rough' teams over the years, funny thing is.. They are encouraged to be dirty but as soon as they get stood up to, all hell breaks loose by their parents after one heavy challenge. Had one set of parent's marching over to us at one point a few years ago, match got abandoned (and that was the second week in a row it happened to them). I feel for those kids as they'll forever be the victims.

Last edited:
It’s a mixed bag. I’ve found most people fine and decent , like every walk of life every now and then you’ll find a coach or some parents who are absolute roasters.

Agree with the poster above who said it’s surreal how many 9 and 10 year olds get poached from boys clubs where they are happy to academy or pro youth set ups and it sucks all the joy out of most of them.

I’ve seen several technically brilliant boys who love the game and would play all day overlooked because of their build, their height and more often than not the boys club they are with. There are a select few “feeder“ boys clubs in areas across Scotland who I won’t name who churn these boys out year on year because of who they know and what scouts they are friends with and what clubs they are in cahoots with.

99% will be chewed up and spat back out by the time they are 13, and their parents with their elevated levels of expectation left wondering how their son never made it as a pro.

I must admit I get told to calm it a bit when I’m on sidelines with my boys team, in my defence I’m 100% positive in all aspects of my shouts, never any profanity or owt like that either :)). An opposition player scores a beauty, I will even shout well done son, brilliant goal.
Absolutely. No harm in encouraging the other team when they do something good.

It’s a mixed bag. I’ve found most people fine and decent , like every walk of life every now and then you’ll find a coach or some parents who are absolute roasters.

Agree with the poster above who said it’s surreal how many 9 and 10 year olds get poached from boys clubs where they are happy to academy or pro youth set ups and it sucks all the joy out of most of them.

I’ve seen several technically brilliant boys who love the game and would play all day overlooked because of their build, their height and more often than not the boys club they are with. There are a select few “feeder“ boys clubs in areas across Scotland who I won’t name who churn these boys out year on year because of who they know and what scouts they are friends with and what clubs they are in cahoots with.

99% will be chewed up and spat back out by the time they are 13, and their parents with their elevated levels of expectation left wondering how their son never made it as a pro.

100% correct. We have a defender who is fantastic at reading a game and never misses a tackle and is easily the best defender I’ve ever seen at this age group. He is absolutely tiny though and already people are saying he won’t ever make it due to his size etc.

I have watched both my grandsons since they were playing fun 4's they are now 20 and 16 playing junior football the older one might have the chance to play with a lowland team next season. Been to some crazy mental games and places especially once they get to about 11 and up, seen a lot of good young laddies kicked out the game and soon got sick of it because they showed a bit skill all egged on by opposition parents.I agree most parents are fine but there are always a few nutters scattered in there.
One of the main reasons we prob haven't been to many world cups and European championships over the years, many just go onto to other things. Can't see anything changing to much it's still all about getting the boot in in Scotland at all levels.

My boy was playing in goals a few years ago at under 16s. He bravely went down to get his hands on the ball. A dad from.the other team was screaming at his boy to 'go through him'. Boy went through my boy. Straight red card. My son was left badly bruised.

Fat %^*& actually cheered the challenge and i shouted across telling him shut it. He wasn't so brave in the car park afterwards when the kids were in getting changed. Its the only time I've lost it and my boy took a lot of shit over the years playing in goals.

The emotion and drama in it at that level is mental.

Ends up a favouritism thing with the manager and whoevers maw he fancies the most!

Can't be good for development- so much pressure on young ones from the parents. Especially when 10 year olds end up getting "signed" by Rangers/Celtic at that level. Hardly any ever make it and wee guys lose enthusiasm for the game at a very young age if they get a knockback

These are ten year olds.

One of our player got a backhanded punch in a game of "fun fives" because the other boy didn't like how close he was being marked.

To be fair to the opposition coach he took the boy off and told him to go home.

I know a girl who's wee boy is getting sick of it. He's a great wee player, but he's 12 and he's already disillusioned with getting up every Saturday to get booted about by his opponents on instruction of their parents.

He just wants to play. As probably those who are nearly halving him in two do, but just doing what their Da's tell them... Its nuts.

This is spot on.

From what I’ve seen, the coaches all seem ok.
Most are. Seen a few absolute throbbers lose it when their team is being beaten though. The need for 10 year olds to win a game is a bit disturbing tbh.

I watched my boy's team take a hefty loss in a game. The opposition coaches were all smiley, jokey and encouraging. The next time they played they got beaten. Shouting and bawling and as the game went on the boys started getting more aggressive. To me, it came from the behaviour they saw on the sidelines.

I've had the pleasure of watching Gregor Stevens encouraging his son when my lad played alongside him.
He was actually very calm and had good words for all the lads in the team.

My nephew who is a good player got a nasty injury due to this kind of behaviour, 1 of many incidents I witnessed growing up that destroys actual talented footballers confidence in our country when it comes to youth level. This is why Scotland will never thrive in the sport probably lost many potential great players over the decades

Only experienced it once or twice so far at the 2017 age group when the team I help coach with were playing friendly games. Now the fun 4s season has started I've not experienced any of it as Ravenscraig is too noisy with 14/16 games taking place at a time.

I do get frustrated with some of what I see like kids kicking out, raising hands/arms or throwing themselves into tackles that could do damage if they connect. Some of it I do expect given the age range is 4-6 but its the tackles that get me the most.

My son plays for a 2008 team and still loves it but some of the parents are the worst and that is just in our team. Obviously at their age no one is making it in the game as a pro but most games have turned into a battle. Maybe it’s the area I’m from but it’s very embarrassing at times with some of the comments explains why a lot of this world is so angry. At one point they weren’t even going to shake hands at the end of a game if they got beat. Told my son that wasn’t on and he had to shake their hand especially the boys he was directly up against. Had to have a word with the coach about it as well but outside of my son it doesn’t always happen. Super proud that he does it despite many of his friends not as would be easy not to do.

my son plays fun fours, he’s 6. it’s absolutely brutal and has been since the day he started it.

some of the stuff i’ve heard shouted i genuinely wouldn’t even repeat.

i’ve gave a him a hard time recently after a few of his matches. It’s honestly pathetic. Just just found myself caught up in it all but have had to take a real look at myself for it.

These are ten year olds.

Could not agree more recently started watching my grandson play and the behaviour of some parents is astonishing in a road rage like way. It brings out the worse and the best in some folk. Poor example shown to young folk.

On another note great credit to those who give up their time to run the teams.

I've been coaching since BA Junior was 4, he's now 17.

If all boys stuck to their local team the level of competition would be perfect for development.

There are some total rockets running boy's teams. Terrible role models for the kids
Yeah, it's the teams that go round scouting for miles to create these super teams, totally ruin it. They should put in rules that you have to play within a distance of where you live, or the school you go to.

There are 2 or 3 teams at the top that just win 10-0 every week, doesn't really benefit anyone

I coach 2012s and its mental how competitive it is at this level. I've not witnessed anything too drastic though to be honest apart from the odd rough team or the over excited "football maws".
Some coaches are worse than the kids though. Most teams have a development team and an intermediate/advanced team and its ridiculous how often you see the intermediate/advanced players playing in the development team just so they can win. They stick out like a sore thumb. Happened to us one weekend and their coaches excuse was that they needed a confidence boost! Try telling my boys that after being pumped by double figures..

Everyone like this thinks they’re child is some precocious talent that needs to be recognise and they lose their minds at the thought that their kids are bang average and have no talent.

My uncle was like this with my cousins. On a family holiday he insisted on a 2 a-side between me 12 and my brother, 9 against his 2 boys aged 10 and 6. He told the older one to go about tackling or being aggressive towards us whilst the younger one actually played football. After 10 minutes I punched my cousin square in the jaw after he nearly broke my brothers leg. He had the cheek to try to come storming over to me before my dad, in the middle of howls of laughter, intervened and “advised” him to do one.

These are ten year olds.

Not common in my experience. Been invovled with a 2011 team for 2 years now and havnt came across this at all. We did have one team where their coaching staff were egging the kids to use rough tactics but not parents. Opposition coach and I were almost scrapping at the end because he couldnt take it when I celebrated one of ours cleaning out the boy that had been getting away with fouls all day.

Wait until they get to u16/17s with shite refs, can end up a free for all, on and off the park
Under 15/under 16s is like the Wild West !!

I am currently serving a 4 match ban (2007 coach) for “assaulting a minor” in reality I stepped in to separate over a dozen boys pushing and shoving each other lol at the end of a game.

The system is so flawed I wasn’t allowed to use Veo recorded 4K footage at my hearing but instead they were happy with a refs report that states he didn’t have a clear and unobstructed view as he was 45 yards away but could confirm I pushed someone but not excessively.

My youngest is 2 and when turns three is going to start mini kickers can’t say hearing and seeing the nonsense I have seen at fun4s and the like again.

I coach 2012s and its mental how competitive it is at this level. I've not witnessed anything too drastic though to be honest apart from the odd rough team or the over excited "football maws".
Some coaches are worse than the kids though. Most teams have a development team and an intermediate/advanced team and its ridiculous how often you see the intermediate/advanced players playing in the development team just so they can win. They stick out like a sore thumb. Happened to us one weekend and their coaches excuse was that they needed a confidence boost! Try telling my boys that after being pumped by double figures..
My boys are development and yesterday we were meant to play another development team but they had issues with players being available, so they drafted in boys from their advanced/intermediate squads. We lost the game 2-0 but I was happier the boys still got a game than it being cancelled due to lack of players.

Previously we played in Glasgow league but left because they didnt monitor the teams levels, our development team were playing advanced teams frequently and losing like 20-0 and it benefits no-one. Been in ERSDA now for last year and its far better organised.

My boy is 4 (2018) but plays with the 2017's as that was the first age group at his club. Most of the parents are fine but there are a couple that are constantly having a go at their kid from the sidelines ffs, utter maniac behaviour. Have heard some horror stories of fights between parents etc at the higher age groups, just don't understand it at all.

Back