Ryan Kent- has to stay

You will get called a tim for your post but your 100% correct, Need more from players in the front 3
I was going to say I've been called worse, but not sure that's possible :D

Ultimately, I just care about Rangers, and can't be bothered by the cult of personality that exists around players.
To be fair, I'm also old enough to remember the greats - the players who made unbelievable contributions. Davie Cooper, Brian Laudrup to name but two - Guys who had it all, the style AND the end product. I wouldn't expect Kent to get to that level but even a Walters, Lovenkrands or Huistra level would do where there's a genuine, measurable contribution by the player to the team's achievements. We might move from also ran to genuine contenders that way.

Last few weeks ive been paying close attention to kent snd ive noticed his best work is in the first two thirds of the pitch. Maybe because he has more space, not sure why but he has zero composure in the final 1/3. His end product in the business end, for someone of his ability is really poor.

I know he’s a far better player than sakala, yet sakala gets more goals and assists.

Ryan kent really needs to deliver more numbers, especially for the money and wages he gets.

Now i know he does create space for people and teams double up but he’s so wasteful final third, turns back when 1 v 1 and his shooting is shocking.

I’m really torn by whether we should offer him a deal or not. Has all the talent but I dont feel he shows it when it matters enough.

Statistics don't tell the full story because quite simply he's involved in everything positive that we do.

Workrate immense as well.

Great team player and I'll be over the moon if we get him tied down to a longterm deal.
I half agree m8. Yeah, no one can fault his commitment or work rate, but a lad of his quality, I expect more from him, especially his goal tally. I'm 50/50 on him to stay. Personally, he's at the age where he isn't going to improve in terms of goals or assists. Can we get someone in better, that's the problem? It's a tough one IMO.

It's a horrible comparison to make, but I stand by it. I loved us playing against McGeady, because the visuals were so hilariously jarring with the actual result of the trickery. McGeady was a dead end, so is Kent.
Look, for all of these players we employ hyperbole. Was McGeady crap? Of course not, he was a solid pro, but he just wasn't exceptional in anything other than having a style that was exciting to watch (for the impartially inclined or them). His highlight reel will look great, but it didn't amount to much, and we beat them more often than not.
All pros will do something spectacular at some point. Ralph Milne scored a wonder goal against Celtc. Owen Archdeacon had a moment of wonder against us when he had an intercept and goal any pro would regard as top drawer. But let's agree on this - Archdeacon, charitably, wasn't very good. At all.
I hope Beale has ambitions considerably higher than Ryan Kent. I think there's better value out there and certainly there are wingers who despite being less pleasing on the eye will contribute far more in the way of goals and assists.

The most horrific of all conclusions: If you anonymise the players names and simply choose players based on their contributions - goals, assists, goals per shot, per game etc you wouldn't just pick Jota over Kent. You'd pick Abada over Kent, you'd pick Haksabanovic over Kent and you'd pick the unrated Maeda over Kent. Why? Because every Celtc winger is contributing more to the team than Kent is contributing to ours. It's not that their main winger is producing more, but their second choice produces more, and more embarrassingly - their THIRD choice player in that position is contributing more. It's one of the reasons we're finishing second, and we have to address it.

Monster post, so feel obligated to reply :))

As I've explained above, I think the stats don't tell the story of what Ryan contributes to our team. He's at the heart of all of our attacking play, when we're on it. He's back on it under Beale.

I wouldn't swap him for any of the Tims.
Be interesting to know if Beale would?

Last few weeks ive been paying close attention to kent snd ive noticed his best work is in the first two thirds of the pitch. Maybe because he has more space, not sure why but he has zero composure in the final 1/3. His end product in the business end, for someone of his ability is really poor.

I know he’s a far better player than sakala, yet sakala gets more goals and assists.

Ryan kent really needs to deliver more numbers, especially for the money and wages he gets.

Now i know he does create space for people and teams double up but he’s so wasteful final third, turns back when 1 v 1 and his shooting is shocking.

I’m really torn by whether we should offer him a deal or not. Has all the talent but I dont feel he shows it when it matters enough.
nobody was doubling up on him today and this is a bit of a myth to excuse his poor contributions in the league.

nobody was doubling up on him today and this is a bit of a myth to excuse his poor contributions in the league.
Every thread about him we have people claiming he doesn't score or assist much because he always has 2 players on him, which simply isn't true in most games.

I find that mental, but each to their own.

Van Veen has more goals than Abada, so I assume you'd prefer him too, by such simple logic?

All about opinions. Van Veen, no not at all but different positions and we are comparing Kent to Celtic players.

Abada scores 10+ goals a season and doesn’t start for them/isn’t deemed good enough.

Kent doesn’t even manage 10+ goals in 2 seasons but starts every single game for us. That’s why they win the league. We settle for average.

He’s better running from deep, good engine, good work rate, good crosser with his right foot can cut in with his left, He had all the attributes of a great full back haha

But honestly as a player he’s a hard worker and does a job in tough games and in Europe but he’s never going to be getting the numbers we need domestically from a player in the front 3

He only needs to stay so we can sell him for a fee. The outrage will be him going for free. He's done with us.
Would we get a fee for him?

People haven't been queuing up to sign him over the last few seasons when he was performing better. I know Leeds were interested but cant think of too many others.

His stock is going to be a good bit lower than it was after 55 or Europe last season so I'm not so confident of getting anything remotely decent if he signed a new deal.

How many does he create?
In the league this season

Matches
Total played 27
Started 26

Attacking
Goals 3
Scoring frequency 750 min
Goals per game 0.1
Shots per game 2.0
Shots on target per game 0.7
Big chances missed 5
Goal conversion 5%

Passing
Assists 7
Touches 61.6
Big chances created 9

Kent has 33 for us.

For comparison

Abada - 26
Jota - 24
Maeda 18

Even chuck in Sakala with 19 for us in much more limited minutes.
Nowhere near good enough it’s as simple as that.

Just checking the stats, he’s also never scored a single goal for us in a domestic cup competition. 25 cup ties 0 goals.

I really like Kent. I think his workrate is immense but he's far too inconsistent. I thought he was really poor today. If the money is right then yes but nowhere near one of our highest earners unless he can do it over the course of a season.

Kent offers us far more than the stats show, it's not all about goals - but he does need to work on his shooting and get us more goals. People are harsh on him because we spent a lot of money but I think we'd struggle to replace him without spending £.

Comparing our players to theirs doesn't really work IMO we have different playstyles etc.

I like Kent , he works hard for the team but his stats just aren't good enough.
He should be scoring at least 10 goals and assisting much more. I don't know what the stats are where he's heavily involved in setting up a goal but not the primary assister , nonetheless his stats are what you'd expect from a midfielder at least.

Statistics don't tell the full story because quite simply he's involved in everything positive that we do.

Workrate immense as well.

Great team player and I'll be over the moon if we get him tied down to a longterm deal.
So is the goalkeeper.

His run for the third goal today was brilliant. If anybody watches rugby you’ll often hear them talk about running a good line and that’s what ran through my mind today when I seen the wee run he made.

I dont disagree and if you read my post its not a defence of him, quite the opposite i think

He's an imposter. We all love him to get on the ball, but then drives forward, invariably either goes too close to the defender, who ALWAYS nicks the ball away from him, or gets a shot in - to the stand.
Too many on here think he's the man, but open your eyes, he's very very poor.

He's an imposter. We all love him to get on the ball, but then drives forward, invariably either goes too close to the defender, who ALWAYS nicks the ball away from him, or gets a shot in - to the stand.
Too many on here think he's the man, but open your eyes, he's very very poor.
Imposter? You?

His run for the third goal today was brilliant. If anybody watches rugby you’ll often hear them talk about running a good line and that’s what ran through my mind today when I seen the wee run he made.

It wasn't "brilliant", it was what he's supposed to be doing most games.
That's what he should be doing every game, but doesn't.

Monster post, so feel obligated to reply :))

As I've explained above, I think the stats don't tell the story of what Ryan contributes to our team. He's at the heart of all of our attacking play, when we're on it. He's back on it under Beale.

I wouldn't swap him for any of the Tims.
Be interesting to know if Beale would?
Interesting Q but hypothetical

Beale likes Kent and has said so a few times. He has a bond with him and a few of the other players from his first stint as coach.

He's a proper coach mind, so would probably be loyal towards any of his proteges that can reach the standard he demands. So unlikely to swap them for any of that mob. And the tims wouldn't be interested in the ones that Beale is no longer keen on anyhoo.

He's been excellent the last 4 games, which shows how stats can mislead.
He's laid at least one sitter on a plate per game for others, who've missed them.
Stats don't show that, but Beale recognizes his contribution.

He's not been excellent any of the 4 last games.
What the feck are you boys watching?

Back