Time for change posters on every seat today

Beale for me 100% right when he says we should get behind the team and pull in the same direction but protests will always happen when Supporters feel aggrieved.
We've been playing 2nd fiddle to Celtic for too long. We had the chance of a prolonged period of success after winning the title and the board didn't invest which has resulted in us watching our rivals dominate again. I understand people saying they saved the club etc but they don't appear to know how to run a successful football club and that will always result in unrest especially at a club as big and successful as Rangers.

There wasn't any money, £20 odd million losses after Covid and the 55 season.
There was money there as we had been doing reasonably well in Europe, we sold Patterson for a lot of money and had numerous players that we could've cashed in on.

I doubt anyone involved in the protests is a position to judge what Robertson is doing in his day to day job. He is not as vocal as we would like from someone in his position but that is a criticism that applies to everyone involved in running the club and it needs to change.

I can understand the Wilson protests, ultimately he is in charge of the recruitment process which has been largely unsuccessful since he came in and we always seem on the back foot with contract negotiations. I would not be surprised if he moves on in the summer
I think the Robertson protests are down to a lack of transparency and a perceived lack of effectiveness.

The board typically don’t follow through on plans in the timeline they say they’re going to, don’t provide an explanation why targets have been missed, don’t seem to have any significant influence on Scottish football and don’t engage with us in any meaningful way. He’s responsible for the day to day running of the club, so he’s the natural target for that frustration.

What money have Ross Wilson and Stewart Robertson put in to the club - two people the protest were directed at?

I have no feelings either way about Wilson and Robertson, they're just employees of the board, who do put millions in, if they aren't performing how the financial backers expect they'll be replaced.

However, you just need to read this thread to see how it is being misconstrued, folk 'warning' Douglas Park and others saying the 'board' should step aside and 'allow' people to come in and spend big, like there are folk queuing up to do so.

Robertson needs to go and wilson is a clusterfuck. Not sure about yesterday however.

There was money there as we had been doing reasonably well in Europe, we sold Patterson for a lot of money and had numerous players that we could've cashed in on.
There really wasn’t money there at all, the published accounts show that. Selling Patterson was essential to cover our losses, even with that we required more than £10million in directors loans to see the season out functioning as a normal club.

Gerrard insisted on keeping the squad together, so we had the choice of either upsetting the manager who just won us 55 in an unbeaten season, or doing what we did, which was keep the squad together and give him a couple of free transfers as there was simply no cash available.

I have no idea why people continue to deny these established facts

We've been playing 2nd fiddle to Celtic for too long. We had the chance of a prolonged period of success after winning the title and the board didn't invest which has resulted in us watching our rivals dominate again. I understand people saying they saved the club etc but they don't appear to know how to run a successful football club and that will always result in unrest especially at a club as big and successful as Rangers.
Yes, we should have invested and the board have made mistakes but who do we get in instead?

There really wasn’t money there at all, the published accounts show that. Selling Patterson was essential to cover our losses, even with that we required more than £10million in directors loans to see the season out functioning as a normal club.

Gerrard insisted on keeping the squad together, so we had the choice of either upsetting the manager who just won us 55 in an unbeaten season, or doing what we did, which was keep the squad together and give him a couple of free transfers as there was simply no cash available.

You could have sold the likes of Morelos, Kamara and Patterson that summer, let’s say for a combined £30m. That’s basically all profit as their transfer fees would have been amortised to literally nothing by that point.

Even if you spent £20m of that on new players and gave them all four year contracts, you’re booking a £25m gain in the accounts for 21/22. That squares the FFP position.

The board should have been able to sell the financial reality to Gerrard and if he wasn’t onboard, pressed on with what was best for the club anyway by implementing the player trading model.

We fucked up by not turning the starting XI over after 55. Whether that was at the behest of Gerrard or not, I don't know, but that was the time for the much vaunted player trading model to kick in.

We stood still and have paid the price since.

How many teams sell their assets after having success and go on to have more immediate success?

IMO it was quite right to keep the group together as much as possible at that stage.

Perhaps we could have sold one, maybe two at a push but then there's no guarantee that would have led to major transfers incoming as we still lost 23m that year, and that was with the help of directors loans to see us through. Maybe we still lose 23m and don't get director loans.

You could have sold the likes of Morelos, Kamara and Patterson that summer, let’s say for a combined £30m. That’s basically all profit as their transfer fees would have been amortised to literally nothing by that point.

Even if you spent £20m of that on new players and gave them all four year contracts, you’re booking a £25m gain in the accounts for 21/22. That squares the FFP position.

The board should have been able to sell the financial reality to Gerrard and if he wasn’t onboard, pressed on with what was best for the club anyway by implementing the player trading model.

Everton tried to sign Patterson that summer and we refused and eventually got way more when we did sell him.

The board bailed us out time again. Millions each season to keep us afloat. There wasn’t anything left to invest. Celtic then spent £40m to back ange. We aren’t competing with that overnight.

Everton tried to sign Patterson that summer and we refused and eventually got way more when we did sell him.
Correct. Patterson was just an example of a player who’s transfer fee would have been complete profit for the club.

If we wanted to sell in the summer, we could probably have got more out of Everton than they offered in that window.

We made a £25million loss, so if we sold these players for £30million, (we recieved very few bids for any I might add), then spent £20million on replacements, how on earth could we have made a £25million profit?

I get it’s timing with registrations etc for what sale goes in what year’s accounts, but all that cash still needs paying back, it doesn’t just disappear, as is evidenced by the amount of loans we still have to directors right now.

Correct. Patterson was just an example of a player who’s transfer fee would have been complete profit for the club.

If we wanted to sell in the summer, we could probably have got more out of Everton than they offered in that window.

There was a 33m hole to be filled. Director loan plus the eventual losses. I dont think selling anybody would have made much available for transfers that summer.

Andy McGowan’s mega threat on this from last night is excellent and probably where I am overall. Wilson has more misses than hits but that’s improving it seems. Robertson is now preciding over a time of financial security for us for the first time in over a decade. The board have put in millions of their own cash and their is no sugar daddy in the wings. We should be careful what we wish for in wanting them hounded.

Football is so important to us that seeing that lot win titles blinds reality. They can spend what we cant. We aren’t going to close that gap overnight. It comes fron smart recruitment (beale) and player trading (cantwell, raskin, tillman etc) and we are doing that.

We didn’t have the funds to back the team after 55 when Gerrard failed to get to the UCL. Thats on him. We could do with that lot frittering money on a few duds. But even if they dont, with 3 or 4 starters promised for the summer, do I think we will topple them next season? You better believe it

Andy McGowan’s mega threat on this from last night is excellent and probably where I am overall. Wilson has more misses than hits but that’s improving it seems. Robertson is now preciding over a time of financial security for us for the first time in over a decade. The board have put in millions of their own cash and their is no sugar daddy in the wings. We should be careful what we wish for in wanting them hounded.

Football is so important to us that seeing that lot win titles blinds reality. They can spend what we cant. We aren’t going to close that gap overnight. It comes fron smart recruitment (beale) and player trading (cantwell, raskin, tillman etc) and we are doing that.

We didn’t have the funds to back the team after 55 when Gerrard failed to get to the UCL. Thats on him. We could do with that lot frittering money on a few duds. But even if they dont, with 3 or 4 starters promised for the summer, do I think we will topple them next season? You better believe it

Do you have a link to that please?

We made a £25millio loss, so if we sold these players for £30million, (we recieved very few bids for any I might add), then spent £20million on replacements, how on earth could we have made a £25million profit?

I get it’s timing with registrations etc for what sale goes in what year’s accounts, but all that cash still needs paying back, it doesn’t just disappear, as is evidenced by the amount of loans we still have to directors right now.
A £25m gain in the accounts. Not necessarily all of that would be bottom line profit.

£30m gain on selling those three players (because their unamortised transfer fee would be non existent by that point), £5m amortisation charge for the £20m worth of players we signed on 4 year contracts, so a £25m gain in the 21/22 accounts.

As for the cash, the instalment payments out could have been matched off against the instalment payments coming in.

The directors were prepared to put that money in and since they did, it’s safe to assume they would have done anyway. Serious player trading the summer after 55 would have us in a significantly better financial position than standing still.

A £25m gain in the accounts. Not necessarily all of that would be bottom line profit.

£30m gain on selling those three players (because their unamortised transfer fee would be non existent by that point), £5m amortisation charge for the £20m worth of players we signed on 4 year contracts, so a £25m gain in the 21/22 accounts.

As for the cash, the instalment payments out could have been matched off against the instalment payments coming in.

The directors were prepared to put that money in and since they did, it’s safe to assume they would have done anyway. Serious player trading the summer after 55 would have us in a significantly better financial position than standing still.

Thats an assumption you are making.

Thats an assumption you are making.
An assumption based on what the board actually did.

And to add, a much more sensible use of the directors loans than the “keep Stevie happy” narrative that surrounds our failure to implement the board’s player trading policy.

Last edited:

Gerrard insisted on keeping the squad together is rubbish the board would have had to have told him of the financial situation we were in and therefore he'd have known that all reasonable offers for the players would've been considered. I don't doubt those on the board are successful businessmen but they do not appear to have the ability to run a successful football club and the longer it goes on that we are trailing Celtic the louder the protests will become.

Where was the backing for GVB after he did get us to the UCL group stages.

Does that include getting rid of the investors and directors who saved the club?
Post nails it
This board has put a lot of their own cash into the club when we needed especially the support they gave Stevie G to stop their 9 n 3/4 or 10 whatever way you see it bringing in roofe itten making hagi deal happen paying the wages to keep Defoe that helped build the squad up to winning 55
They will always have my gratitude for that biggest mistake was not either extending or selling Kent alfie and big joe that summer but I believe that was the gaffer that made that mistake

Where was the backing for GVB after he did get us to the UCL group stages.
We spent 15m or something in the summer. Maybe that was all there was regardless. We have to run sustainably. Gio also said he was happy with the squad. That can obviously be taken with a pinch of salt but we will never know either way unless he contradicts himself.

We spent 15m or something in the summer. Maybe that was all there was regardless. We have to run sustainably. Gio also said he was happy with the squad. That can obviously be taken with a pinch of salt but we will never know either way unless he contradicts himself.
It was in the main a complete waste of resources I’m sure most would say.

We are still requiring a centre half of quality among others. Our defence loses the same goal almost bi weekly now, in bigger games especially.

We need a whole new frontline and certainly two new strikers.

If this board think £5m say and Ross Wilson being the man fronting that spend, then we’ve no chance. None.

He needs to go. Simply no trust or confidence in him from the majority

Was the most we have spent in a summer since 08/09 I think.

I think Gios message after leaving shows he wasn't happy at all with how things were going.

"I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in. Rangers FC will always be in my heart and I wish the club all the success for the future."

His interview just after the PSV win he was very positive and seemed to be expecting some signings, so did everyone else as we were fed the line that we couldn't invest in the last summer after going out to Malmo.

So tell us what the demands of the support are, but be aware a few leaders of the union bears, who are they, and the shouty activists are not the support.

It’s amazing how we keep seeing the non-specific words like incompetence, context, etc. but I am yet to see an actual ‘charge’ save perhaps the Sydney friendly. Personally I wasn’t for that but I recognise the £3m, which is another £3m the scum move away from us financially, would reportedly have paid the transfer fees of Cantwell and Raskin so that is two layers such as them we can’t get.

As for Wilson, Michael Beale has said when he was here with Gerrard not a single player was foisted on Gerrard/Beale, every one was their choice. GVB said he was the one who chose the players while he was here. Beale was very vocal that Cantwell and Raskin were his choices. Wilson has not foisted a first team player on a manger so what is the issue? If it’s an issue about money Wilson can‘t do anything about that, he has a budget mainly governed by the UEFA Financial Sustainability regulations to work within and all squad costs, player and coaching staff wages, transfer and agents fees, etc have to be within that otherwise we will face UEFA sanctions.

Perhaps if the union bears and others stopped causing us to have tens of thousands of euros fines and expensive partial stadium closures by UEFA which started right from the first home game back in Europe against St. Joseph’s we would be in a better financial position but no they want to do whatever they want and to weaponise the songbook.
what about our club shafting its own fans with price fixing our merchandise. surely someone should have been sacked for that. what we got was silence.

Post nails it
This board has put a lot of their own cash into the club when we needed especially the support they gave Stevie G to stop their 9 n 3/4 or 10 whatever way you see it bringing in roofe itten making hagi deal happen paying the wages to keep Defoe that helped build the squad up to winning 55
They will always have my gratitude for that biggest mistake was not either extending or selling Kent alfie and big joe that summer but I believe that was the gaffer that made that mistake
The biggest mistake they made was not backing the gaffer after winning the league ultimately having us trailing Celtic when we had a great opportunity to put ourselves well in front.

No Robertson is a Rat, any MD should be looking to improve fan’s experience. He is the one not wanting safe standing. He’s the one who is afraid of the power UBs have. He’s honestly piss poor and it says something when Queens Park have a better MD then us.
Robertson's job is not to keep the fans happy, it's too keep the club running and profitable. From s corporate perspective both Robertson and v Wilson are doing everything asked of them. They're generating huge revenue and if you're running the club that's a huge measure of success. Like it or not, running a football club is not entirely about winning the league anymore.

Robertson's job is not to keep the fans happy, it's too keep the club running and profitable. From s corporate perspective both Robertson and v Wilson are doing everything asked of them. They're generating huge revenue and if you're running the club that's a huge measure of success. Like it or not, running a football club is not entirely about winning the league anymore.
Robertson’s job is also to deliver on the strategic projects which the club is undertaking, such as NEH, player trading and improving facilities for disabled fans.

One was a year late and over budget with little to no explanation from the club, another was talked about for years with it only starting last summer and the third only seems to get mentioned around the AGM, with little progress seemingly being made year on year (although that seems to have changed recently). If nothing else, it shows a lack of communication and engagement with the supporters.

Wilson’s main success is Bassey. Apart from that, can we really give him credit for spending money on players who can’t get into the team or for the coaching staff achieving on field success using a team made up of his predecessor’s signings?

It was in the main a complete waste of resources I’m sure most would say.

We are still requiring a centre half of quality among others. Our defence loses the same goal almost bi weekly now, in bigger games especially.

We need a whole new frontline and certainly two new strikers.

If this board think £5m say and Ross Wilson being the man fronting that spend, then we’ve no chance. None.

He needs to go. Simply no trust or confidence in him from the majority
Not sure id agree with that. We have been ridiculously unlucky with injuries but I think Davies, Lawrence, Souttar will all be good signings. Im not a colak fan but he has still scored about 15 goals. Matondo il give you though.

I get the lack of confidence but the last 3 wilson picks have been tillman, raskin and cantwell so maybe having a manager who knows what we need will be the difference

No Robertson is a Rat, any MD should be looking to improve fan’s experience. He is the one not wanting safe standing. He’s the one who is afraid of the power UBs have. He’s honestly piss poor and it says something when Queens Park have a better MD then us.
Can you please explain what power the UBs have? I mean, without the UBs, Ibrox would certainly be a quieter place, initially at least and we may lose the displays, which would be sad. But we'd still fill Ibrox and every away allocation with or without them. So I'm genuinely interested in what this power is? I know a lot of younger fans know nothing other than Ibrox with the UBs and can't imagine it any other way, but I had nearly 40 years of watching Rangers before the UBs appeared and it was absolutely fine. As it was for almost 100 years before that. Great days / nights at Ibrox, away days, European trips..... wouldn't swap it for today's stuff for all the tea in China. As I said in an earlier post, the UBs do a lot of good stuff, but their sense of self-importance and self-entitlement is tarnishing that for, I suspect, a good proportion of the wider support. They should stick to supporting the team and stop trying to run the club, because I suspect they really dont have the 'power' they think they have.

You don’t think we could make money from hagi, cantwell, raskin, king, kamara etc? Not patterson or bassey money (not yet anyway) but those are unicorns.
Hagi, Roofe, Souttar, Matondo. You can't pick a player, sell him for a million, and then say that the squad has made money.

what about our club shafting its own fans with price fixing our merchandise. surely someone should have been sacked for that. what we got was silence.
I have to say that I don’t the law that applies to pricing.

However, I do wonder about the appointment of Murdoch MacLennan as chair of the Office for the Internal Market and non-exec director of the Competition and Markets Authority Board and the subsequent early targeting of us while others set prices, such as Apple who set the prices of such as iPads. I find it very suspicious that MacLennan is involved and we are targeted.

Back