Kids football - what is it about parents?

Most are. Seen a few absolute throbbers lose it when their team is being beaten though. The need for 10 year olds to win a game is a bit disturbing tbh.

I watched my boy's team take a hefty loss in a game. The opposition coaches were all smiley, jokey and encouraging. The next time they played they got beaten. Shouting and bawling and as the game went on the boys started getting more aggressive. To me, it came from the behaviour they saw on the sidelines.
When my boy was at Aston Villa BC there was a particular team from Hamilton who were, shall we say a bit robust, and reacted to their coaches and parents egging them on in a less-than-attractive manner.

It's usually frustrated, jealous dad's living vicariously through their sons because they were shite when they were that age.

They had all sorts of fantasist dreams thinking they'd be a pro footballer but they've ended up in a sandwich factory.
Unfortunately it isn't just the dad's or that would be half the amount of shite we have to put up with.

At least you can tell a man stfu or he will get a slap.

I watch my grandson (2008s, P&D league). With one exception, the teams are all well behaved, no real violence on the park. Most aggression is between parents at the side of the park, no fights, but a lot of "feck off, ya clown" comments

At the kids football today. Ten year olds.

My kids team got hammered in the first half. 4-0. But in the Second half turned it around and they completely wiped the floor with them to win 8-4 :D

As the other team were getting beaten the players started getting nasty. One of the boys went in knee high, studs first and our player took the studs all down his knee. Left a nasty bruise.

These are ten year olds.

At the end of the game, one of the fathers was heard encouraging his kid to do it harder next time as he deserved it.

It wasn’t an isolated incident. Constant egging them on to ‘go in hard’.

What is it about kids football that turns some parents into complete arseholes?

I’m only just started to get involved in it but I presume this bollox is commonplace?
My grandson is now 19 and I’ve watched him since he was about 8,It is very much common place in fact be prepared for it to get worse,I think it’s one of the reasons that Scottish football isn’t producing the talent it needs.

I met a ref that used to ref me at amatuer level when I was at the park with my kids who advised me that there was a good game about to start.

The keeper for one team had a howler and let one in. The coach of the team built the boys confidence up like Id never heard before. Parkmoor are in good hands.

Absoulte bams probably never go and watch professional football,it's weans ffs.Some of the shit refs get aswell at that level is shocking these refs are having to do the offsides aswell on there own obviously they will make mistakes.

Recently attended a game with a pal whose we one was playing, girls under 12s.

2x maws going at it and one smashed in the gub with a Dr. Marten boot.

My kids team got hammered in the first half. 4-0. But in the Second half turned it around and they completely wiped the floor with them to win 8-4 :D

As the other team were getting beaten the players started getting nasty. One of the boys went in knee high, studs first and our player took the studs all down his knee. Left a nasty bruise.

These are ten year olds.

At the end of the game, one of the fathers was heard encouraging his kid to do it harder next time as he deserved it.

I’m only just started to get involved in it but I presume this bollox is commonplace?
The exact reason Scottish Football is in the mess it is.

I thought FF would revel in the fighting and aggression at under 10's etc. as they could be the "bastard" with a "nasty streak" that could be screaming in their Rangers team mates faces? ;)

Or is that just the bams who want that?
Maybe some want controlled aggression and 100% commitment in the tackle , there’s a huge difference.

It's not just the kids football - folk watching grass roots football in general!

I played 35s on Friday night and had a manager jumping about on the sidelines offering square goes and telling the ref he was pushing him to the brink of causing a riot.

My boy is ten and has been at his club for a few years now. Can’t say I’ve ever seen parents acting that way (yet).
Normally most are encouraging and enjoy watching the game

These are ten year olds.

Parents are weapons!

The kids are on the journey that the parents weren’t good enough to complete usually.
So parents then turn into Pep Guardiola and think they are the mutts nuts.

It happens everywhere so don’t think that issues will be resolved if you change teams.

I've been coaching my sons team for 10 years now. What gets me is the win at all costs attitude with some coaches and parents. They kids are there to have fun and improve as footballers but you have folk claiming for every decision no matter how obvious, and over the top reactions to every tackle or ref call.

I played at a decent level a fair number of years back.
I moved away from Glasgow for a while through work and came across a neighbour who was coaching a kids team who knew me back then.
He invited me along to help with his team.
There was one kid who stood out a mile.
A wee left footed left back who could actually use the ball.
Unfortunately, encouraged by parents of most of the team, he was used to just getting the ball “up the park”.
I showed him and his pals some stuff about passing and moving, very much basics, but he took everything I said on board.
Game time and the daddy’s, and some mummy’s, were going mental at the change in the game.
So much so that I was nose to nose at one point and threatened by others.
Anyway, things calmed down a bit and the father of the main lad actually apologised a saw a lot of improvement in their boy.
However, the best is yet to come.
End of season, the team have wiped the board and are getting their medals at a night out where two of the local senior club’s players are doing the presenting.
But, there is a game to play first.
Game starts and after about five minutes, “my boy” takes a pass from the centre back, decides there is nothing on and plays it back to him.
Senior professional yells out “just get the ball up the park, wee man.”
I could have cried.
My last involvement as a “coach”.
”My boy” did not too bad but moved south with his work and played their version of juniors till he was about forty!

The main gripe I’ve heard from parents is coaches keeping their favourites and not rotating enough.

I’m a few months away from proper games myself, but I’ll remain optimistic that I won’t be calling other parents bellends on a regular basis.

My brother and I watch my nephew at Under 14 level.

Was at a game yesterday when the opposition coach was a complete mouthpiece dickhead. He was claiming for EVERYTHING, even when it obviously wasn't in favour of his team.

We shut him up though as after losing 1-0 my nephew's team won 4-1.

Funny enough I was at my daughters match yesterday. Her team were winning 4-1 and just before half time a bellend on the touchline screaming come girls your the better team here. I just looked at one of the other dads and we both burst out laughing at him. The fanny was no better second half they lost 8-3 and yip he was still shouting unlucky girls better team lost.:)) A moron utter moron. He was also screaming for fouls offsides and penalties anytime they had the ball taken off them. Loonball.

I don't get involved when I was watch my young lad,I was close to the other week as there's a boy who's bigger than everyone and all he does is get the ball and tries to dribble past everyone. He always gets tackled and you can see the rest of the team get deflated when he has the ball as they know he's not passing. The coaches never say anything to him either which frustrates the hell out of me

My son was a coach at cheltenham Town academy for a few years
The parents are not allowed to shout anything at the players
The worse coaches were the teams that were above cheltenham in the leagues at the time when they were getting beat eg bristol city rovers swindon

Started getting my son involved with a 2014s team in January, and I have to say the coaches have been great with the kids. Helping them to develop and encouraging them a lot. In terms of parents, nothing outrageous. Mainly encouragement and the odd reminder of things like defenders getting goal side of strikers.

I coach my boys 2014 team, we got all the parents together and advised them what we are trying to do with the kids, we advised them we don't care about scorelines, we play kids in their preferred positions in the 1st half and take them out their comfort zones for the 2nd halfs. We encourage them to do the right thing constantly, whether it being passing to a team mate who is in a better position to score or going with the weaker foot etc all the parents have been pretty positive and the kids are playing with a smile on their faces regardless of the the result

I was out for a run this morning and go past the Tony Macaroni Arena and I thought a Junior game must have been on hearing all the aggressive adult voices shouting but once I turned the corner and saw the pitch it was actually a load of under 9 games on

Just couldn't believe how angry some of the parents were, I run that route quite a lot and one of the things I've noticed is all these (usually overweight) Dads have in common is that growing up every single one of them was better than Messi but it was just down to bad luck that they didn't end up being the greatest player of their generation, they all seem to have similar bad luck stories

It's usually frustrated, jealous dad's living vicariously through their sons because they were shite when they were that age.

They had all sorts of fantasist dreams thinking they'd be a pro footballer but they've ended up in a sandwich factory.
You have nailed it. At the end of every season we always played lads v dads and the the dads who were the loudest and most critical on the sidelines were generally the worst players.

Coming out in a cold sweat here thinking about playing against 16 year old young men when I was in my late 50’s. Was much better when they were about 6 or 7 :))

I think kids football from age 6-12 should be about enjoyment and improvement of technique only - results should be secondary and the cream will rise to the top anyway.

To many young coaches are too interested in ‘their’ own records in terms results.

I do take my hat off off to folks who take the time to run kid’s football though

My boys are development and yesterday we were meant to play another development team but they had issues with players being available, so they drafted in boys from their advanced/intermediate squads. We lost the game 2-0 but I was happier the boys still got a game than it being cancelled due to lack of players.

Previously we played in Glasgow league but left because they didnt monitor the teams levels, our development team were playing advanced teams frequently and losing like 20-0 and it benefits no-one. Been in ERSDA now for last year and its far better organised.
Thing is mate, you might get beat 20-0 every other week- but if you are the guy who ends up progressing a player or two then you’ll be the better coach

These are ten year olds.

Kids football is like a microcosm of life in general.You will find most parents ,coaches and kids are fine but you will definetly come across a fair amount of arseholes.Some parents are oversensitive and will get upset at their kid being tackled fairly or not.One of the most common shouts you will hear is"for fk sake it's only weans fitba" usually from a parent or coach who's team are getting a beating.I would recommend getting involved yourself and take your coaching badges.Its great to see some of the kids develop over the years and if a training ground move comes off its brilliant:)

The coaches at my 7yo’s setup are fantastic, everything is positive and encouraging. My wee one was a late starter and the improvement in his game has been phenomenal in the 18months he’s been playing due to the patience shown by them.

At the stage he needs to move on and I’m dreading it due to stuff I’ve witnessed from other coaches and parents.

I’ve played at every level in Scotland (doesn’t go for much :D) and coached fairly high and also taken the kids football.

I now watch my boys games with AirPods in listening to podcasts to drown out the shouts of idiots because I’m liable to bite at the crass idiocy from them and take me down to their level.

We have entitled parents, I normally find the females of the species are the worst, giving all sorts of ideas to kids who will be lucky to get by under 16 level.

These are ten year olds.

Same thing happened to my son 26 years ago studded in the calf you could see all the stud marks. Asked the ref what he was going to do and he says he never saw it. The evidence was on my son's leg nothing was said to the wee boy who committed the offence. Its going on for years the better players chuck it as they get fed up being hacked down all the time. In our game today there are very few good Scottish players in our top league most are just hackers the way they were taught and brought up.

I've been coaching my sons team for 10 years now. What gets me is the win at all costs attitude with some coaches and parents. They kids are there to have fun and improve as footballers but you have folk claiming for every decision no matter how obvious, and over the top reactions to every tackle or ref call.
This.

Why give the kids more pressure?

It's not just the kids football - folk watching grass roots football in general!

I played 35s on Friday night and had a manager jumping about on the sidelines offering square goes and telling the ref he was pushing him to the brink of causing a riot.

I went to watch a few lads i used to play with and the coach i seen i think was castlemilk was an absolute nut job

These are ten year olds.

I don’t think it turns them into arseholes. I suspect many of them are arseholes already.

I thought FF would revel in the fighting and aggression at under 10's etc. as they could be the "bastard" with a "nasty streak" that could be screaming in their Rangers team mates faces? ;)

Or is that just the bams who want that?
I always wonder if Scotland has a disproportionate amount of neds or just a disproportionate amount who play football.

Went to see all the grandsons playing today at different times. Oldest just this week turned 10 (2013) is playing with 2012.

End of march, cuts on his thigh from opposition studs and bleeding. Other wee boy in team had a cut on leg as well.

Opposition were dirty wee bastards who didn’t like any skill and couldn’t take getting beat.

Kids on grandsons team rose above it and stayed disciplined.
And they Fûcking humped them B-D

Unfortunately, this is a classic situation because of the lack of professional coaches, it’s usually parents of players in the team that take up the job and
more often than not they are not qualified. They also try to live their unfulfilled ambitions through their own kids, putting far too much pressure on them. unfortunately, without these coaches, there will be no teams, so it’s very much a catch 22 situation.

My youngest son is playing now and fortunately they have two very good coaches who have clearly played football at a good level and more importantly, know the psychology required to develop young players, but these people are a minority

When my boy was at Aston Villa BC there was a particular team from Hamilton who were, shall we say a bit robust, and reacted to their coaches and parents egging them on in a less-than-attractive manner.
Thing is, the boys will go through this as the hormones kick in and around 14+ it does get quite a bit rougher. There's a time to just let them enjoy playing and most coaches know this.

I don't let my kids play for any coaches I have the slightest concern about. I have taken one of them out of a team where the "tackling" was wild. You can't really do much about parents who you wouldn't share a minute if your life with if you met them elsewhere.

Unfortunately, this is a classic situation because of the lack of professional coaches, it’s usually parents of players in the team that take up the job and
more often than not they are not qualified. They also try to live their unfulfilled ambitions through their own kids, putting far too much pressure on them. unfortunately, without these coaches, there will be no teams, so it’s very much a catch 22 situation.

My youngest son is playing now and fortunately they have two very good coaches who have clearly played football at a good level and more importantly, know the psychology required to develop young players, but these people are a minority
I'm by no means an expert BB but I think the coaches have to do courses these days.

The ones I've come across have in the vast majority been really decent guys who treat the boys brilliantly. The amount of work they put in is incredible.

The odd arsehole shouldn't spoil it for anyone.

Back