Tillman - he’s the one

We will make double on him and win games with him to boot. A definite yes for me. FWIW I think he likes it here, too. Seems happy on the pitch and gets along with him teammates.

I’m currently in the undecided camp when it comes to him. The boy has all the talent in the world but for me he is doesn’t influence the big games and if we are spending £5m of what is very likely going to be a modest transfer budget we need him to be grabbing these big games, games against the rinks and in Europe by the scruff of the neck.

When he played against Celtic in the semi he never had the on field support of Raskin and Cantwell to link with until too late. Only a barely fit Lundstram and misfiring Kamara. We can’t lay it all on 20 year old Tillman, the only one Celtic needed to double up on as a threat.
He lacked support, was clearly still injured, and they set up to minimise his impact. Triple whammy.

Tillman under Beale has been a lot more committed, and harder working. He isn’t lazy these days.

Also £5m is very little in football terms, it’s robbery for a player of his ability that can also score 10+ a season. Also, he was 2nd choice for MOTM in the 2-2 old firm game.

There's is no doubt he is a very good player but until he makes his mark against them and truly influences the game there will be question marks. So far it's obvious he has the skill but looks too lackidaisical at times against them.. 3 games to go to prove himself as the real deal.
Bare in mind he’s only 20yrs old so as he matures and grows in confidence he will be a huge asset if we manage to keep him.

Tillman is like an inside forward so we must adapt if he is going to be 1st choice. A 4231 or a 442 but Cantwell has to play so that is a dilema. You could go with:

Jack, Raskin
Cantwell, Kent
Tillman
Colak.
A bit like Hagi, how do you play him?
At the very least, he is a huge squad player.
Perhaps adapt depending on the opposition?

He's 20, it's his first season playing proper first team football! He's been absolutely outstanding for us.

I guess it comes down to budget but I'd be gutted if we never managed to sign him.

I don’t think Tillman himself was fit that day either.
And took a sore one after only 3 or 4 minutes.

And yes it’s a no brainer to sign the lad, he’s tall, athletic, can control a ball, can score and despite what some FF idiots don’t see he works for the team, that last bit is aimed as i would take Beales word on Tillmans work ethic over the idiots on this forum.

I’ve not read anything past the OP. I’m 58 and have never seen talent like it With us. We have no chance of securing him sadly.

This is the mentality of so many of our fans. Only thing that matters is what they do in the OF game. Forget games like these and ones like scoring the only goal in the 1-0 win against hearts etc that are just as important
Old firm games are of prime importance!
We have dropped 5 points in the league and lost a cup final just in this season alone!

I think Tillman can be summed up as - "full of skill, but doesn't work hard enough".

No doubt someone will bring up his stats for pressing and winning the ball back, but if he doesn't win it first time his motivation to get back and help has to be questioned. When have you ever seen him busting a gut to get to a ball?

All the skill in the world means nothing without applying the required effort.

I'd probably keep him, but I'd make it clear he needs to play his part in the team.
What games are folk watching when they come out with shite like this?

I’ve not read anything past the OP. I’m 58 and have never seen talent like it With us. We have no chance of securing him sadly.
I can think of around a dozen to twenty players who were easily at the level he was and had brilliant careers either before or after they came to us

A bit of a daft statement tbh

I’m not sure I agree with you with regards to his effort/helping the team. He wins the ball back constantly. Indeed we won a CL qualifier for exactly that reason. However, your post indicates a massive issue we have in this country that is holding us back - we value the wrong football traits. Cantwell is a very good player, however he’s 25. He scored his first goal yesterday in 2 years. We have a guy who is 20 and is about to hit double figures in his first season from MIDFIELD. Our issue isn’t endeavour, it’s lack of quality.
I think Cantwell being both in huge quantitates and his lack of goals is neither here nor there given the number of changes around him and his previous Team over said time period.

At 25 hes arguably entering his prime years and beyond that Rangers have grabbed him as he seems new opportunities and looks to relaunch himself. I dont think we could have got him at a more potent time.

Tillman is a great prospect and to give him credit seems to learn fast so Id have no doubts if he signed he would improve even more. His talent is clear as day but he does have more to do with the Team over himself and endeavour, or whichever synonym you wish to use for contributions to a Sports Team, is one key aspect of that.

That’s your opinion. If you are happy to spend £5m on someone who can do it against hearts and Motherwell then crack on.

The whole team have been generally shite against the bheasts this season, and you need to get the ball to Tillman before he can do anything. Utterly mental to single him out and suggest he's meant to win games on his own.

If we played them tomorrow with Raskin, Jack and possibly Cantwell in the team you'd see much better from Tillman.

we need to get him signed asap this is the type of player we need to be signing it’s an investment really we will double our money at least on this boy. He’s class and is only going to get better

His recent comments suggest he’s likely to leave I would take the recent comments from Sands as an indication of why

What comments from Tillman?

And I'm guessing you mean Sands comments about our finances? Sour grapes from him. The difference is Sands wouldn't be worth the 5m even if we had a massive transfer kitty. Tillman is.

I’ve seen no comments either way from Tilman, he’s shown nothing but respect to the club and Beale hasn’t indicated either way.

Theirs is no doubt he is a very good player but until he makes his mark against them and truly influences the game there will be question marks. So far it's obvious he has the skill but looks too lackidaisical at times against them.. 3 games to go to prove himself as the real deal.
He’s 20 ffs. The real deal??

For £5M, with his potential, the board should stand down if he’s not signed up.

The whole team have been generally shite against the bheasts this season, and you need to get the ball to Tillman before he can do anything. Utterly mental to single him out and suggest he's meant to win games on his own.

If we played them tomorrow with Raskin, Jack and possibly Cantwell in the team you'd see much better from Tillman.
Hopefully this is what we see in the semi final.

What’s this?

I'll save the poster the trouble of answering - he hasn't said this.

I'm guessing he's referring to an interview Tillman gave a few weeks ago in Germany where he seemed on the fence about staying or going back to Bayern. But that was always going to be the case, he doesn't exactly want to piss off his parent club.

Can you post a link to his recent comments mate? I've not seen them or heard about them. Cheers.

Think this is the comment people are referring too,recent interview in kicker magazine

The Rangers have a purchase option for you at the end of the season. Would you rather stay or try again in Munich?

I just want to play as much as possible. I don't care, but I don't really care where that will be. I feel comfortable here, very much so. I'm bringing in my performances, which I think they like quite well here at Rangers. But I could also imagine that Bayern really like it. That's why... exit open.

Think this is the comment people are referring too,recent interview in kicker magazine

The Rangers have a purchase option for you at the end of the season. Would you rather stay or try again in Munich?

I just want to play as much as possible. I don't care, but I don't really care where that will be. I feel comfortable here, very much so. I'm bringing in my performances, which I think they like quite well here at Rangers. But I could also imagine that Bayern really like it. That's why... exit open.
That doesn't sound to me like he's wanting to move on from us, whatsoever.

"I just want to play as much as possible" would suggest the opposite. Let's face it, he's not going to play regularly for Bayern at this stage. I don't think he's quite at that level yet.

What comments from Tillman?

And I'm guessing you mean Sands comments about our finances? Sour grapes from him. The difference is Sands wouldn't be worth the 5m even if we had a massive transfer kitty. Tillman is.
Tillman gave an interview to a German mag/paper the other week and it read ihe was more likely to go than stay.

Since he and Sands are teammates I would suggest their thoughts on the overall standard of our game and the development opportunities are not miles apart

Tillman gave an interview to a German mag/paper the other week and it read ihe was more likely to go than stay.

Since he and Sands are teammates I would suggest their thoughts on the overall standard of our game and the development opportunities are not miles apart

I read that interview and it didn't really come across that way to me. It sounded like someone being diplomatic when his future is still uncertain, he obviously doesn't want to annoy us or his parent club.

There's no doubt he's a player with good skills and ability. But he clearly doesn't like the physical side of the game, which is why I would never play him in an Old Firm game, he was a passenger in the last one.

I think Tillman can be summed up as - "full of skill, but doesn't work hard enough".

No doubt someone will bring up his stats for pressing and winning the ball back, but if he doesn't win it first time his motivation to get back and help has to be questioned. When have you ever seen him busting a gut to get to a ball?

All the skill in the world means nothing without applying the required effort.

I'd probably keep him, but I'd make it clear he needs to play his part in the team.
So you can peddle the myth that hes lazy, which as been proven wrong on multiple occasions, and if anyone shows it to be not true, we've to ignore it?

Theres been plenty of occasions where he does the dirty work.

Languid is the word that would descibe the way he moves best. Dimitar Berbatov was the same, looked like he didnt give a %^*& but there was nothing to suggest it was true.

He isn't going to be an option for Bayern next season, the season after that or the season after that if ever.

He'll be a starter option for a team better than us but that ain't Bayern Munich.

Probably Kent said something similar when joining from Liverpool. He was never gonna be an option for them and a few years down the line, that's proven.

It only read that way if you decide to read it that way. "I'm comfortable here, very much so" doesn't read that way to me.

And Sands barely said anything other than the teams we play tend to sit in. Not really that revelatory.

Theirs is no doubt he is a very good player but until he makes his mark against them and truly influences the game there will be question marks. So far it's obvious he has the skill but looks too lackidaisical at times against them.. 3 games to go to prove himself as the real deal.
So you will only accept the quality of a 20 year old foreigner with very little top team experience as being of an acceptable level if he pulls it out the bag against them this season?
Otherwise all is quality- including hitting double figures in goals- isn’t sufficient to sign him on a long term deal potentially making the club a sizeable profit in the process?
Aye ok then.
And our support criticises Ross Wilson for less than that!

So you will only accept the quality of a 20 year old foreigner with very little top team experience as being of an acceptable level if he pulls it out the bag against them this season?
Otherwise all is quality- including hitting double figures in goals- isn’t sufficient to sign him on a long term deal potentially making the club a sizeable profit in the process?
Aye ok then.
And our support criticises Ross Wilson for less than that!
Me personally I like him but you come back on here after 3 defeats against them with Tillman not really influencing the game in any way and state your case and see how you get on!

I really rate Tillman, but come one mate you can't believe that.
He's 20 years of age mate. He's head and shoulders above every player in the team. I know that's merely my opinion and I know some don't rate him at all (which is baffling) but if we've even got a tiny chance to get him we should be all over it.

Tillman is a really good player, the more advanced position he played on Saturday really suits him. Means we can fit Tillman, Raskin and Cantwell in the starting XI
Those are the 3 players I am hoping we build the team around next season.

Tillman really is a no brainer signing. If he has one good season in Europe performance wise then he will top Bassey as our biggest ever transfer fee received.

Me personally I like him but you come back on here after 3 defeats against them with Tillman not really influencing the game in any way and state your case and see how you get on!
The best forum or time to seek positive feedback on a player is not after a defeat to them though is it? Every player goes through a complete character assassination after any defeat so to single out Tillman for more criticism than others is a bit offside.

£5m is an absolute steal for a player that could and I believe will be sold for in excess of the Bassey fee.

I only hope its we who are in a position to make that sale.

It only read that way if you decide to read it that way. "I'm comfortable here, very much so" doesn't read that way to me.

And Sands barely said anything other than the teams we play tend to sit in. Not really that revelatory.
Let’s see what he does my view based on the interview and Sands comments is that Tillman will prefer to be elsewhere next season but similar to others we might be his best option but I think Tillman will get the chance to play elsewhere

Back