Soccer AM cancelled

I don't know the inner workings of it but I don't think Lovejoy is that good a presenter. Even Helen Chamberlain isn't as good as someone like Laura Woods IMO.

I hate that you can't find the old clips of the muscle poses to the Blackpool music
I don't really mean as a presenter. Lovejoy was pretty much the show runner when he was on it and was heavily involved in the vast majority of the content and format of the show at the time. There's a really good article on The Athletic that goes in to some detail about the show back when it was in it's heyday and about how Lovejoy was in control of pretty much every aspect of it.

Still watch some weeks and although not a patch on previous eras, still has a few funny segments to the show. Shocker Saturday is always funny(ish)..

Jimmy Bullard, although mildly annoying does a good job of the football skills part. I have no idea why they took in the chavvy female twins as they have been the death nail for the show.

It’s like Lovejoy hit lucky on that show as everything else he has done since has been horse shit.
He’s actually a bit of a weirdo. The way he used to be passive-aggressive towards his female co-presenter on that kitchen show was odd.
He felt like a dinosaur about two minutes after he left Soccer AM.
But he did everything right on that show and caught the zeitgeist of the times.
Hate him as he blocked me on Twitter for no reason. Never interacted with him at all. The wank.

Superb breakfast television at it's peak. I'll be missing some here, but off the top of my head:
  • Third Eyes
  • Showboating (brilliantly backed by Herbie Hancock's 'Rockit')
  • Taxi
  • Nutmeg Files
  • Highlights of The Badgers latest fixture
  • Teammates
  • Crossbar Challenge
  • Tubes Question
  • Topless Weather featuring Sheephead
  • Soccerette
  • Feed the Goat (or similar)
Lovejoy and Chamberlain had a good chemistry together, then you had the guests and all the best goals of the week to a soundtrack.

They should have just stopped this show years ago.

Your youth always seems a better place but I remember watching Soccer AM back when it started, even up to around 2005 or so it was essential viewing. It seemed fresh and funny but the format is so tired now.

It became really annoying with no sense of how annoying it was.

The guy that just used to shout was ridiculous, it wasn't even funny

I never had sky when I was younger so didn’t see it that often but tuned in when I could over the years and thought it was always watchable. Even now.

It’s another sad casualty of the world we live in now as I imagine a lot of kids/teenagers wouldn’t sit and watch it for an hour when they could just see all the clips on tiktok anyway. File it away along side music tv channels etc.

Will be replaced by soccer “they-am” probably.

In all seriousness it has been guff for years, back in the day it was the start of the weekend for me but it petered out and should have been put to bed years ago.

Surprised it was still going this long. Used to watch it all the time back in the day.

Haven't seen it in years.

I still stick it on the background on a Saturday morning, so a bit gutted at this. Some of the segments are still good.

It thrived back in the day because it showed you viral clips from across football. Nowadays you're sent them on your phone before they've even happened.

And some of the stuff they did back in the day would never be allowed now. Remember they would ask the Soccerette their age and marital status? In the later series if they said they were single it would cut to a short clip of a footballer going "Yaaas!" and fist pumping the air :D

“Hi, I’m Helen from Manchester, aged 19.”

“Great age!”

Was great back in the day with Lovejoy and Hells Bells. As soon as Lovejoy left it went right downhill.

Fenners was good as a supporting cast member but he is a dreadful host.

To be honest it has been pretty poor for a while but it was a must watch back in the day, sad that it has been binned but defo the right decision.

30 years too late, brutal!

My ex her Sister worked on the show, so I was down in the studio for the 2004 FA Cup Final episode, couldn't believe how small the studio was and the tiny car park they did a lot of the outdoor stuff

Who's going to be brave enough to post the video of the Soccerette going commando on the show :D

Best memory of the show

Still watch some weeks and although not a patch on previous eras, still has a few funny segments to the show. Shocker Saturday is always funny(ish)..

Jimmy Bullard, although mildly annoying does a good job of the football skills part. I have no idea why they took in the chavvy female twins as they have been the death nail for the show.

It's mainly shit, but on the odd occasion I do catch it, I like the drills they do along with the quiz. Always looks a laugh and who hasnt donr crossbar challenge etc at training or five a sides?!!

Death knell even :)

It used to be good back in the day,also liked the yearly dance off.
Some of the sketches were funny as well,the Mancunians always made me laugh

Last edited:
I don't mind it, the actual football clips are good and the music is usually up my street. I like the challenges they do.

Sunday Supplement was another I used to enjoy but I guess with podcasts etc, the last thing people want is another arena for journalists to preach how wise they are.

It was good at the time when it homed in on the lads mag generation

We grew up and it's got pish

Completely lost its way. I think if they get rid of fenners and take out the crazy skits then it could be good. The interviews and football section are all it needs

Fennners is actually top class. Most of the characters from back in the day like Stan Hibbert, Barry Proudfoot and Ally McMoist were all his. I was actually howling at his Geordie character a few weeks ago during the Pro Am.

Like I said before, people who are saying it’s shite now are probably completely ignoring the fact they can’t do what they used to do. Same with Still Game/Only an Excuse and it’s why they are also no more. Comedy/entertainment in the U.K. is fucked and it’s why normal TV is shit because of cancel culture and political correctness.

I actually still watch every episode. I record it and watch it during the week. There’s been so many new bands and songs I’ve heard over the years from them playing songs during their Goals of the Week part. In fact one of my fav bands got their first U.K. play of a song back in 2015 (DMA’s) They still have decent guests and interviews as well.

Fenners is a really good guy and it’s shame it’s ended up this way for them. He’ll get another job in TV writing or production no bother. Makes sense as well now Jimmy Bullard has also moved FT to Tubes YouTube channel Golf Life.

Will be sad to see it go.

Lots of the retired players that come on now, are from Jimmy Bullard‘s agency, Insider trading lol.
It was about time to call it a day, worth watching for about 20 mins now.

Like many things it ran it's course years ago, changes just never seemed to improve the show as a whole.

Back