Celtic to be handed post split fixture advantage

Too few games. Loss of revenue. Loss of tv money. Better to go for 14 teams playing each other twice, then split 7/7 again playing home and away. That produces the current 38 game League and no anomalies such as the skewed 18/20 stupidity and/or playing 3 away games against the same team.
This would not work

Still have the same issue as mentioned in the OP

Also all teams should play on last day of season to avoid carve ups or the advantage of knowing what you have to do for say qualifying for Europe or relegation, with an odd number it has lots of potential issues

18 or 20 team is the best solution if the greedy people in charge would look at the bigger picture.

4 league games against same teams is too much

Skipped past the article to be honest but after seeing the thread title I thought I would say does it not generally give one of us the advantage every alternative year?
To be honest with it not exactly being close this year I don't think it is the worst time for it to work against us with the assumption it should be in our favour next year.

13 years ago Walter discovered a 'flaw' in the split.

gn16.png

This is what he was 'rightly' complaining about. Corrupt to the core.

gn16a.png

Surely its fairer to have played the top 6 2x Home/away over the season than it is to have played an even number of home and away games.

It really isn’t though.

As Beale recently pointed out if we must have a split have a 14 team division play every team twice , once home once away, then split top 6 bottom 8, again teams play each other twice once home once away, no problem. Even provides a couple extra games/gates for the bottom 8 teams who miss out on getting top 6.

Its staring us in the face but nobody wants to seem to change anything in our game, it’s like watching a sloth dying in an old fridge.
Yes is there as you have find dates and there isn't enough free dates to give the players a break

Yes having another set up might be different and that 14 team has been mooted before

We have a two team title race against a media background that manufactures controversy and indulges accusations of bias.

And each season the teams potentially have differing schedules.

I quite enjoy the split. But increase the league to 14 teams and then have a 6/8 split after two rounds.

(My preference would be an 18 team league)
Yeah understand we have issues here in Scotland but what I means we are not the only country that operates a split system

One of good thing from time in the lower league is we knew our fixtures we need to get back to that

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised that teams like hearts, hibs, Aberdeen don't push for a 20 team league

If 1 of those teams could produce consistent results against the other teams in the league like us and the scum do, then it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they would be closer in a title race, even assuming they dropped 12 points to them and us

You could possibly win a league losing 4 games

Losing 8 games, no chance

Even with a closer points gap your team suddenly becomes more attractive to new signings, sponsorship, etc

The way its looking, the most likely way to avoid the last OF game being a title decider would be to make it the last game.
Which is what the authorities ruled after the yahoo shame game in May 1999.

However, the authorities ruled after our ban game in April 1994, that away fans must be allowed in. (A reasonable amount they said) The filth have just recently trampled that underfoot.

If you can remember, the post split in 2002 handed the yahoos three home/or perceived as easy games in a row, so that the title was already sealed before they played their last game against us.

So sod knows what the post split holds in store.

I doubt we'll be smiling any, which way it turns out.

I’ve never really bothered with caring about who plays who home or away during the split fixtures tbh.

I have always just been more concerned with the fixture dates themselves and if I am scheduled in for work that weekend

The way its looking, the most likely way to avoid the last OF game being a title decider would be to make it the last game.
Normally whoever looks like winning league is given last game at home for trophy presentation

Not sure what your point is that I can talk all the percentages I want :D

Clearly it was pertinent to the post I qouted. You are actually agreeing with in that you have highlighted a reason why it was not to do with the amount of games we play each other.
The only point that matters, percentages, notwithstanding, is that no other Scottish club will win the league ever again, other than us or the filth. So in that sense Scottish football is finished.

What the filth are still trying to make sure of is that only one club can win the title up here. The guys running our club seem to be helping them in their quest.

I'm sure someone out there must have the stats as to the amount of post split fixtures since its inception where we've had three away games at Hearts, Hibs, Dolly etc, compared to them? Up until 2012 would suffice.

Since, and especially, post 2012, doesn't have the same importance given it has been a one-horse race.

The split has to go no doubt about that. But its a mute point this season as the league is done. Winning the remaining games v them though is vital for next season. Its crazy that the same group of players shat themselves so quickly. That drubbing at the piggery sent us on a slippery slope mentally with them. All on our shitebag of a manager at the time trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

The only point that matters, percentages, notwithstanding, is that no other Scottish club will win the league ever again, other than us or the filth. So in that sense Scottish football is finished.

What the filth are still trying to make sure of is that only one club can win the title up here. The guys running our club seem to be helping them in their quest.
That may be correct but a bit miffed why you've chosen my post replying to a guy about playing 4 times a season to get that off your chest :D :confused:

It really isn’t though.

As Beale recently pointed out if we must have a split have a 14 team division play every team twice , once home once away, then split top 6 bottom 8, again teams play each other twice once home once away, no problem. Even provides a couple extra games/gates for the bottom 8 teams who miss out on getting top 6.

Its staring us in the face but nobody wants to seem to change anything in our game, it’s like watching a sloth dying in an old fridge.
Yet Celtic want to keep it this way as their place men run the game. It seems that Scottish football being a shambolic joke seems to benefit them the most.

I'm sure someone out there must have the stats as to the amount of post split fixtures since its inception where we've had three away games at Hearts, Hibs, Dolly etc, compared to them? Up until 2012 would suffice.

Since, and especially, post 2012, doesn't have the same importance given it has been a one-horse race.
For us

Dundee 00/01
Dunfermline 01/02
Dundee United 03/04
Aberdeen 04/05
Hibs 06/07
Hibs 08/09
Dundee United 09/10
St Johnstone 11/12

Them

Kilmarnock 10/11

Post 2012 I don't have anything at hand on that

It really isn’t though.

The smaller teams don't want it because if they finish bottom 8 they lose a home game against either us or them

16 team league
Play each other twice
Top 4 then break away and play each other home and away with points continuing as before the split
36 games
Fair split for relegation play offs
The rest play a cup tournament to get into the euro conference league

Although in theory this is a good idea to resolve split issue and maintain the 4 Old Firm games for Sky, there is a potential flaw in the teams outside the top 4 having nothing to play for. Scotland at present has 5 European places no guarantee this continues based on the clubs performances.
At present the top 4 plus the cup winners occupy the European places. UEFA prioritise the cup winners over league places in the event of an outsider such as St Johnstone the other year lifting the cup this would leave the rest with no reason to play post split.

This is all down to whoever makes the fixtures giving us the top four teams (the other mob ,hearts,Hibs,the sheep) home or away in a quarter rather than two at home two away. this will continue until one or more don't make it into the top six.

Does it not just alternate now? E.g we have this problem one year and they will the next

In the 6 completes seasons since we came back up ther have had 3 away games 3 times . Obv 19/20 wasn't completed.

16/17
18/19
20/21

It now alternates pretty much each season. It's just not been a factor In the 6 seasons cos there's yet to be a close title race

As beale said a 14 team league with a 6/8 split is the answer staring us in the face. Split after 26 games then top 6 play home and away. Bottom 8 play home and away. Bottom 8 don't have Europe to worry about and likely won't have long cup runs so the extra games likely wipes out there Los of old firm revenue

This is all down to whoever makes the fixtures giving us the top four teams (the other mob ,hearts,Hibs,the sheep) home or away in a quarter rather than two at home two away. this will continue until one or more don't make it into the top six.
Yes and this originates from the fixtures we took when we were promoted from the Championship, we basically took the home/away fixture divide from the team who were relegated, think it was Dundee Utd? They just happened to have Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs either all at home or all away in any given round of 11 fixtures. And that just mirrors season by season rather than being adjusted based on who finishes where in the league.

Yes and this originates from the fixtures we took when we were promoted from the Championship, we basically took the home/away fixture divide from the team who were relegated, think it was Dundee Utd? They just happened to have Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs either all at home or all away in any given round of 11 fixtures. And that just mirrors season by season rather than being adjusted based on who finishes where in the league.
Its a pain in the arse because it means evert season we get a run of tough fixtures. Do that lot have the same problem in a quarter. Haven't really checked

Corrupt to the core and the SPFL are only interested in helping one club

It’s a disgrace and can you imagine what these mhutants would be saying if it was us who were getting this benefit in fixtures

We would be getting the favourable fixtures if we were top.

Its a pain in the arse because it means evert season we get a run of tough fixtures. Do that lot have the same problem in a quarter. Haven't really checked
They have the opposite to us so yes. In a round of 11 fixtures if we play Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen at home they have them all away. And vice versa.

Only tinpot leagues have splits.

16 or 18 teams, 2 rounds of fixtures. Just have two leagues. Three down, three up with playoffs. Include a proper pyramid.

The game is done because of the current structure.

The split is a farce.
The way Scottish football is run is a farce. If I recall correctly, it was their manager, David Hay, who first suggested that there should be a split, because that's what they did in Iceland or Norway or somewhere where he had managed before he managed them. It's just another example of whatever the scumtic manager wants, the scumtic manager gets.

And next season it reverses

Never has been a random computer only people that believe it is think that
That isn’t really true this time, is it.
Help me out here.
The “seeding” for this season, if it had went to plan, would have produced a different set of fixtures?
It would work as you say if the top six were to be replicated from last season?
So, we will then face the same problem next season, and in the future, if the seeding continues to go against the plan.

The league should have been revamped to a 20 or 22 team league when we where demoted as the must be 4 old firm game crap was then irrelevant

Anyone that defends the current split league structure is a moron.
Scotland. 2 leagues. Home away.
It makes sense.
Enough of the "too many teams will mean nothing games" shite.
The only games that have any significance in the league involve 2 teams.

Proper leagues don’t have a split.

End this farce.

“But Sky demand four Old Firms a season!”

F.uck Sky. Let’s dare to try something different.

Why is it other clubs other than rangers and Celtic can end up with 18 home/20 away or visa versa but rangers and Celtic always get guaranteed 19 home/19 away?

That isn’t really true this time, is it.
Help me out here.
The “seeding” for this season, if it had went to plan, would have produced a different set of fixtures?
It would work as you say if the top six were to be replicated from last season?
So, we will then face the same problem next season, and in the future, if the seeding continues to go against the plan.
Yes it's true. The fixtures reverse every season. There is no seeding.

Back