Title wins by City /Town .

buffaloskinners

By city/town[edit]​

City / townChampionshipsClubsLast championship
Glasgow[h]108Rangers (55), Celtic (52), Third Lanark (1)2021–22 (Celtic)
Edinburgh8Heart of Midlothian (4), Hibernian (4)1959–60 (Heart of Midlothian)
Aberdeen4Aberdeen (4)1984–85 (Aberdeen)
Dumbarton[h]2Dumbarton (2)1891–92 (Dumbarton)
Dundee2Dundee (1), Dundee United (1)1982–83 (Dundee United)
Kilmarnock1Kilmarnock (1)1964–65 (Kilmarnock)
Motherwell1Motherwell (1)1931–32 (Motherwell)

I would have thought Queens Park would have won at least one , and surprised Dumbarton are 4th in that table .

By city/town[edit]​

I would have thought Queens Park would have won at least one , and surprised Dumbarton are 4th in that table .
Queens Park didn't join the league for a good few years I don't think.

Just played Scottish/ FA Cups before finally joining.

Only 19 years ever that us or them haven’t won the title, crazy can’t imagine any other professional league is similar.

By city/town[edit]​

I’m sure Rangers won 5 titles before Govan became part of Glasgow so technically Govan is 3rd on the list.

And people wonder why other stadiums are empty. Seriously, what incentive do these fans have to fork out a load of money when they have no chance of winning the league and we know the winner every year before a ball is kicked?
That and the fact that football supporters in their towns and cities would rather come to Glasgow to support a club there.

Because the vast majority of their support comes from the Edinburgh area. Rangers and Celtic have thousands of supporters all over Scotland, and beyond.
I know the reasons why, I just find it strange it panned out that way. You would have thought a city like Edinburgh, with only two major clubs, would have had more success in the early days of Scottish football and managed to maintain a large fan base at each club. It’s bizarre that Rangers and Celtic just dominated from the very beginning and pretty much sustained it for 150 years. Obviously the religious and political backdrop to the OF made the rivalry more attractive to fans far and wide, drawing support from neighbouring cities.

It’s bizarre that neither Edinburgh club has won since 1960. Capital City, similar population to Glasgow. Why are they so shite?
Large portion of Edinburgh have no interest in football. It shocks me that in August during festival their grounds aren’t complete sell outs and marketed to the tourists. When games are on during festival you can walk around town completely unaware there’s football on in the city!

I know the reasons why, I just find it strange it panned out that way. You would have thought a city like Edinburgh, with only two major clubs, would have had more success in the early days of Scottish football and managed to maintain a large fan base at each club. It’s bizarre that Rangers and Celtic just dominated from the very beginning and pretty much sustained it for 150 years. Obviously the religious and political backdrop to the OF made the rivalry more attractive to fans far and wide, drawing support from neighbouring cities.
RCs from all over Scotland are expected and encouraged to support Celtic.

Love threads like this. It’d be interesting to see the English equivalent.

Prompted me to see who were the first league winners in the big European leagues.

Scotland - Rangers/Dumbarton.
England - Preston North End.
Spain - Barcelona.
Italy - Genoa.
Germany - FC Locomotive Leipzig.
France - Standard Athletic Club.
Dutch - VV Concordia.

Bayern’s history was a surprise. By 1970 they’d only won 2 leagues. In 1997 they won their 14th title. Just assume they’ve always won. Shows how CL money has propelled those in a position to take advantage of it.

Prompted me to see who were the first league winners in the big European leagues.

Spain - Barcelona.
Italy - Genoa.
Dutch - VV Concordia.

Bayern’s history was a surprise. By 1970 they’d only won 2 leagues. In 1997 they won their 14th title. Just assume they’ve always won. Shows how CL money has propelled those in a position to take advantage of it.
Very surprised at the Bayern stat.

Only 19 years ever that us or them haven’t won the title, crazy can’t imagine any other professional league is similar.
I’m sure in Turkey only two team outside of Istanbul (Trabzonspor 7 times & Bursaspor once) have won the league. So that’s 6 teams in total and even then two clubs have only one title.

And people wonder why other stadiums are empty. Seriously, what incentive do these fans have to fork out a load of money when they have no chance of winning the league and we know the winner every year before a ball is kicked?
There needs to be drastic reform tbh however some of the clubs don’t help themselves.

Spain - Barcelona.
Italy - Genoa.
Dutch - VV Concordia.

St Etienne are still joint most successful club in France with PSG which is pretty remarkable.

Unfortunately very true. It’s not a healthy position for any league, especially when the quality of the rest is getting far worse year by year.

Because the vast majority of their support comes from the Edinburgh area. Rangers and Celtic have thousands of supporters all over Scotland, and beyond.
Aberdeen won 3 titles 4 Scottish cups ECWC in the 80s without much support from Glasgow.

It is mental that in 150 years or whatever it is that the 3rd most successful team has won it 4 times. Can’t be many countries like that.

Aberdeen won 3 titles 4 Scottish cups ECWC in the 80s without much support from Glasgow.
Under the greatest manager of all time before Champions League money and players couldn't leave under freedom of contract which enabled clubs to build teams. Now a player from Aberdeen Hibs Hearts leaves for more money as soon as they reach a certain level. Hibs 06/07 prime example of that. If they had 50,000 fans every week then they may have been able to keep all they players they sold.

It’s bizarre that neither Edinburgh club has won since 1960. Capital City, similar population to Glasgow. Why are they so shite?

Yeh they’ve massively underachieved but a few factors I can think of mean it’s not exactly a fair comparison!

- Today, Edinburgh area realistically only half that of Greater Glasgow and has larger migrant population (often from other parts of the UK) who don’t have local roots (anyone who has worked in Edinburgh & Edinburgh will know what I mean - found the workplaces in both radically different, strong English influence in one Edinburgh office worked in!)

- A century or so ago as the footballing culture began to be set, Glasgow also used to have a far greater proportion of the Scottish population. No surprise then there’d be more teams in Glasgow which attracted bigger crowds. Then even tonnes of folk moving to new towns in the east to clear the city had roots in Glasgow.

- Football a more traditionally working class game so obviously with Glasgow having a bigger working class community it’d take hold stronger. Still think it’s a myth that rugby is the more popular sport but Edinburgh is more affluent and I found folk aren’t as passionate about their clubs - ie lots of fair weather Hibs/Hearts fans.

- Probably also a case of us and them doing well early and the support showballing from there across the country which would carry on for generations.

- Take the whole religious rivalry for those who support Rangers/Celtic outside the city. Bigger in every scale in Glasgow than Edinburgh which is seen as a smaller scale version. Obviously the bigger one is more attractive to indulge in.

Anyway, sorry for going on! Actually read Hearts had a great team in the 1910s who went to fight in WWI in McCrae’s Battalion. Had the war not happened, theory is they’d have become Edinburgh’s premier team by some distance and a force to be reckoned with on par with Rangers and Celtic. Instead they bravely fought and after the war so many deaths and injuries had occurred, then struggled to re-find form of before. Just bad luck and instead the two clubs (Hibs and Hearts) just looked at each other to give themselves purpose.

Yes but why is that? It isn't unreasonable, given the size of each City, to suggest that Hearts and Hibs should be as big as Rangers and them.

Yeh they’ve massively underachieved but a few factors I can think of mean it’s not exactly a fair comparison!

- Today, Edinburgh area realistically only half that of Greater Glasgow and has larger migrant population (often from other parts of the UK) who don’t have local roots (anyone who has worked in Edinburgh & Edinburgh will know what I mean - found the workplaces in both radically different, strong English influence in one Edinburgh office worked in!)

- A century or so ago as the footballing culture began to be set, Glasgow also used to have a far greater proportion of the Scottish population. No surprise then there’d be more teams in Glasgow which attracted bigger crowds. Then even tonnes of folk moving to new towns in the east to clear the city had roots in Glasgow.

- Football a more traditionally working class game so obviously with Glasgow having a bigger working class community it’d take hold stronger. Still think it’s a myth that rugby is the more popular sport but Edinburgh is more affluent and I found folk aren’t as passionate about their clubs - ie lots of fair weather Hibs/Hearts fans.

- Probably also a case of us and them doing well early and the support showballing from there across the country which would carry on for generations.

- Take the whole religious rivalry for those who support Rangers/Celtic outside the city. Bigger in every scale in Glasgow than Edinburgh which is seen as a smaller scale version. Obviously the bigger one is more attractive to indulge in.

Anyway, sorry for going on! Actually read Hearts had a great team in the 1910s who went to fight in WWI in McCrae’s Battalion. Had the war not happened, theory is they’d have become Edinburgh’s premier team by some distance and a force to be reckoned with on par with Rangers and Celtic. Instead they bravely fought and after the war so many deaths and injuries had occurred, then struggled to re-find form of before. Just bad luck and instead the two clubs (Hibs and Hearts) just looked at each other to give themselves purpose.
Good post. I've always found it bizarre that they aren't bigger but that probably sums it up nicely.

What has caused that though?

Why do us and them have such a wide spread fan base?
Religious reasons traditionally. Then you have the Unionist/Nationalist reasons and many other just want to support the teams that win all the time. Much easier to grow up in Elgin and want to support Rangers and watch us win on TV all the time than go to watch Elgin City or Aberdeen.

I'm from Edinburgh, support Rangers mainly through my old man who was from Helensburgh and decided to support us over Dumbarton. Many over the country will be in the same boat.

Yes but why is that? It isn't unreasonable, given the size of each City, to suggest that Hearts and Hibs should be as big as Rangers and them.
Good post. I've always found it bizarre that they aren't bigger but that probably sums it up nicely.

Cheers mate. Worked a couple of jobs and lived there for a while so was just my observations!

Had a job in an office in the Haymarket area and there seemed to be a mix of us/them/Hearts/Hibs in almost equal measure. But most football chat would be about the Premier League due to quite a few English folk or locals preferring those teams. So it’s a pretty watered down support for the Edinburgh teams.

In Glasgow, where I work now, office is very much 90% us or them and it’s what dominates a lot of the work night out banter. The rivalry just feels more ingrained in the culture here than the Edinburgh teams do in that city.

Under the greatest manager of all time before Champions League money and players couldn't leave under freedom of contract which enabled clubs to build teams. Now a player from Aberdeen Hibs Hearts leaves for more money as soon as they reach a certain level. Hibs 06/07 prime example of that. If they had 50,000 fans every week then they may have been able to keep all they players they sold.
Still doesn't explain lack of success of Edinburgh clubs up until the era you mention.

Large portion of Edinburgh have no interest in football. It shocks me that in August during festival their grounds aren’t complete sell outs and marketed to the tourists. When games are on during festival you can walk around town completely unaware there’s football on in the city!
Don’t think Hibs v St Mirren would be high up on the list of cultural highlights for the London chattering classes!

I’m sure Hibs played Barca in August 2008 at Murrayfield in Guardiola’s first game as manager and it was a sell out. Reckon they could easily alternate a glammer friendly each summer (Hearts one year/Hibs the next) and get really a good crowd. Build the profile of each team ahead of a new season and take advantage of a massive international festival which would surely attract the profile of a big European team.

Lot of latent support fed up not seeing their team really challenge in the League for years.
Hearts could be one in the next 20 years who can grow and improve more, win some cups etc.

Lot of latent support fed up not seeing their team really challenge in the League for years.
Hearts could be one in the next 20 years who can grow and improve more, win some cups etc.

Think this season is massive for Hearts actually. They get third and they are pretty much guaranteed another season of European group stage football and the finances which come with it. They could easily then pull away from the competition around them. Just the small matter of praying us/them have an off season…

Think this season is massive for Hearts actually. They get third and they are pretty much guaranteed another season of European group stage football and the finances which come with it. They could easily then pull away from the competition around them. Just the small matter of praying us/them have an off season…

They seem to be selling a lot more tickets as welL Id rather we had more tickets for Tynecastle but at leats they are filling the bit we dont get with their own support rather than leaving it empty like Aberdeen or St Mirren.

I’m sure Hibs played Barca in August 2008 at Murrayfield in Guardiola’s first game as manager and it was a sell out. Reckon they could easily alternate a glammer friendly each summer (Hearts one year/Hibs the next) and get really a good crowd. Build the profile of each team ahead of a new season and take advantage of a massive international festival which would surely attract the profile of a big European team.
I'm quite sure that it was Hearts who played Barcelona in that game Hammy?

One of my best mates at the time went and said it was a brilliant venue for football, so I definitely agree with your idea of having a glamour friendly game there each year but I'd go one further and make it a game every year for both of them to make it worthwhile.

Back