Kenny Miller: Going back to us after playing for them

barcode

Ahhh....good ol' Kenny FC. Only team he really supports is Kenny FC.

Kenny Miller has admitted he always knew he would return to Rangers - even on the day he put pen to paper at Parkhead.

Speaking in the latest episode of the ‘Off the Record’ podcast, Miller lifts the lid on his controversial moves back and forward across the Old Firm divide and reveals for the first time how close he came to becoming the only player in history to play for both clubs in the same season. The striker left Ibrox in 2001 after one season under Dick Advocaat before heading for the other side of the city to sign for Gordon Strachan five years later - scoring his first goal as a Celtic player in an Old Firm showdown.

Miller signed for Rangers 18 months later after the late, great Walter Smith took over for a second stint at the helm. And the 43-year-old said: ”I just knew I would end up back there at some point. I knew it. It could have maybe happened a bit earlier but I waited - it was seven years I was away from the club - before I came back in 2008 under Walter. It was just something, I just knew. Even with what happened with me going to Celtic in 2006/07. I still had that belief that something is going to happen and I’ll find my way back there.”

0_Kenny-Miller.jpg

Miller (Image: PA/Lynne Cameron)

Miller also insists he would have moved directly from Parkhead to Ibrox in what would have been the most controversial transfer in Scottish football history. He went on: “If there was an opportunity to do it then I would have done it, yeah. It will never happen but if the opportunity had been there then I wouldn’t have turned it down, particularly at that time.

“Again, I’ll say it now and I’ll say it a million times, I always believed I would play for Rangers again. I did from the minute I left in 2001. But I do also believe had it not been Walter who was there then I wouldn’t have got that opportunity. Everything kind of aligned at that time. It wasn’t just because he was strong and he believed in his convictions. It was also because I had worked with him with the Scotland team. He knew who I was and what I could bring and the benefits it would be to his team.

“If it had been somebody else we might not have had that relationship and they wouldn’t know. They’d be looking at it saying, ‘Wait a minute, we can sign this guy but he was playing Celtic last year? No chance!’. I do believe that’s bang on and that’s why I say I do believe everything aligned at that time for that to happen. I was ready for it. I had worked with the gaffer and Ally at Scotland so when they went back there it was like, ‘Right OK, this could be it. This could be my chance to get back there!’.

“We were maybe going to try to do it in January. But, because I had played a couple of games for Celtic at the start of that season and then moved to Derby, you can’t play for three teams in the same footballing year, so that killed it off which I was disappointed about. I was looking at every possible loophole to see if there was a way it could be done that January. I could have been the first player to play for both halves of the Old Firm in the same season. Incredible eh? That would have been a good quiz question! But unfortunately it never happened because of the three team rule.”

0_Co-operative-Insurance-Cup-Final-Rangers-versus-St-Mirren-March-2010.jpg

(Image: SCOTTISH DAILY RECORD)

Smith faced a backlash from angry Rangers supporters for pushing Miller’s deal through. But the former Scotland star said: “I always believed that would win them over. And, again, we’ll go back to the gaffer. It’s the gaffer that’s singing me - this is not just any old manager. This is Walter Smith. This is Mr Rangers.

“So if he believes this is the right thing I always thought, ‘These guys have got to trust his opinions on this. His decision has got to be respected,’. Super Ally was there as well - absolute club legend and record goalscorer. I’ve got good people backing me here. This is not just two randoms at a football club who have thought, ‘We’ll sign this player,’. This is two absolute legends, probably two of the biggest legends in the club’s history that are bringing me back. So I did trust that and believe that most of the fans would respect the decision based on who was making it.”

I wish Kenny Miller no ill will, for me he won back the supporters with how he performed for us for 3 years when he came back, at times he was sensational.

The Bursaspor story though? Nah, I'm not buying his version of events one bit.

Goes from saying to Smith "just get me the contract gaffer and I'll sign it" to then suggesting Rangers pulled it off the table as he said they got wind of him and his agent wanting more money?

Smith called the shots back then and Bain would not have overruled him.

Miller started the season incredibly and got greedy, then the Turks came in and he went for the ££££££.

Then it all went to shit over there and he's texting McCoist on the sly about coming back.

A fantastic player for us across his time, but will always be tainted by his association with that lot.

I fully supported him while he played for us and am thankful for all his contributions but that is where it ends for me. He's not someone I am going to sit and reminisce about too much.

Maybe because i have mellowed in my old age but I can see why he went to the Tims, he was in relegation battles in England, no team playing in Europe every season wanted him, if he wanted back up the road realistically there was only 2 teams who could afford him, us and them, if we weren't interested then he has to do what's best for him and his family. Kenny never let us down when he played in the Rangers shirt

What's worrying is there are Rangers fans who love Andy Halliday and hate Kenny Miller. I'll never understand that mentality, what rhey do on the park bothers me more than who they supported etc.

Despite one being painfully average at best but a Rangers fan, and the other whilst he made a massive mistake contributed hugely to 3 league titles in a row.

Here we go again.
'He kissed the badge, he thumped the badge, rat etc etc'
Kenny Miller done the unforgivable after leaving us the first time. Kenny Miller should have never got the 2nd spell. His 2nd spell was one of Smiths best signings in that period. In his 3rd spell he at times seemed like the only guy who actually cared at points when we were an absolute embarrassment. Probably one of the best professionals we've ever had, and had a decent record against them when we've lacked a consistent goal scorer in that fixture since.

Was dead against him returning but he won me over. I don’t think any other manager would’ve got away with signing him other than Walter Smith

Say what you want about Miller but he was an integral part of 08/09 and 09/10 title winning teams. His form before he moved in 2011 was unbelievable.

Surely he redeemed himself after coming back particularly with his double at the piggery in the 4-1 game

I can never fault Miller for his effort on the pitch, shame he couldn't match that on the training pitch.

His 1st touch was appalling when he arrived as a kid, and it was excusable. Ending his career many years later, it was still as bad.

He's now just a rent a quote, along with many others.

I can never fault Miller for his effort on the pitch, shame he couldn't match that on the training pitch.

His 1st touch was appalling when he arrived as a kid, and it was excusable. Ending his career many years later, it was still as bad.

He's now just a rent a quote, along with many others.
Kenny Miller never put the effort in on the training pitch? Really?

How do you know this?

Remember the fruit cakes who claimed they wouldn’t celebrate if he scored against Celtic? Can just imagine them sitting there with their arms crossed as the rest of the stand goes bonkers.
Probably the same people who did the same with Mo Johnston, which at the time was several times worse.

He did to all but the Uber staunch, who simply won’t forgive him, ever, because that’s just the way they are.
I didn't want him back, couldn't believe Walter was contemplating it - but he really made a go of it and was a hugely successful member of that team.

However, playing for them cannot just be struck from his record. Some charges will never be 'spent'.

Him and Jelavic looked like it could have been even better. Unfortunately didn't last long with Jelavics injury then Miller leaving.

A team with Jelavic, Miller, Naismith and Davis in it, all signed for decent-value fees at the time too, would have dominated domestically for years. It had a bit of everything.

He wasn’t good enough for Rangers in his first spell, so had no problems letting him go.
When he re-signed I wasn’t fussed, I wasn’t raging nor delighted.
He has since proven himself a better player and a key striker in winning trophies. The one that stands out for me is the cup final St.Boo. Wilson was trudging off the park as the St.Boo player was placing the ball, and Miller is 2 yards from the ball saying “we are still going to win!” to the St.Boo player. We were down to 9 men, but Kenny was having none of it, then he scores the winner.
Aye, he redeemed himself in my eyes.

EI liked Miller to be honest and don’t get the hate towards him.

The vast majority of us did tbh.

I remember half of Murrayfield chanting one Kenny Miller, when he tore Souttar and Berra to shreds, scoring twice.
The same thing happened at Hampden, after his magnificent header, when our 9 men beat St Mirren in the LC Final.

Those 2 matches, along with plenty of goals and performances against the scum, are examples of how he regularly did the business for us.

He wouldn't have been the first player to have played for both clubs in the one season either so he's wrong on that point.

If you discount Tom Dunbar's friendly appearance for Celtic against Blackburn before signing for Rangers in 1891 then James Young played one game for Celtic on loan against Hearts from Lochgelly and then the next week signed for Rangers.

Back