Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

If all the work was getting done this summer something would probably have came out by now. Has there been any news about building warrants for what is planned? Last round of fixtures is 28th May so you would imagine any work would start around then.

There is some room but not enough for proper long term expansion. We already have overhang to the turnstiles to create extra ground space. Remember that increasing the capacity would mean you need even more space for the extra people - it is already tight enough around Edmiston Dr / Copland and around the Broomloan/Govan corner after games.

We should be looking longer term to buy up land around the stadium including the school, sports complex, empty land at Hinshelwood soon to be Tim (ffs) Hortons, industrial units (at least partially) behind the Govan and the few behind the Broomloan and the old housing stock at Cairnlea/Harrison.
The club have no money for this

A mate in BF4 emailed the club regarding the new disabled sections and in the reply said it will be completed over a few seasons.

If that’s the case then from memory it’s different from what the board said would happen at the AGM (should the final checks and investigation on it all be completed) and it’s obviously not been communicated yet to fans.

Learn something new daily. Wasn’t aware of that, whenever I’ve went I’ve spoken to a friend in the local rugby club who sorts me with a club ticket and it’s never been the same seat that’s why I was confused
Easy explanation could be it’s ST holders that have returned it but helpful info
They do get returns but don’t have anything like seatsub. That may come with the review.

I don’t think many anticipated this move by the SRU, assuming that the sellout fixtures meant that they had the pricing right (for them), balanced with the guaranteed income the STs provided.

I’d be surprised if Rangers weren’t aware of this move by the SRU and show some interest in how it plays out.

I often cringe when I see folk on here saying they're embarrassed/mortified about a bad result etc bit I will be genuinely embarrassed if we leave our disabled fans shafted after having been promised the earth.

It would be despicable behaviour.

Just got an email from Rangers to complete a Disability Equality Survey.

On looking at the email it seems they are only looking for folks with disabilites etc to complete it so that rules me out.

A mate in BF4 emailed the club regarding the new disabled sections and in the reply said it will be completed over a few seasons.
I really don’t think the Board can get away with this this time.

If they let the disabled down yet again it will be the straw that breaks the camels back.People mentioned after the AGM announcement that it was just the board buying time and they had no intention of doing the actual work and they were pilloried for suggesting it.

With just two months to go until work would begin it looks highly unlikely to happen.

Last edited:
Take it you have never went for a few pints before the game?
Why can't people go 90 mins without a trip to the bog? If you can't last out 90 mins stay home or buy a nappy. Nothing worse than getting up for a big worshipper to rub his way past you on his way there and back to do his business. Probably a member of subway loyal too who can't wait to get home to his own bog and his roll of Scott Brown bog paper.

Why can't people go 90 mins without a trip to the bog? If you can't last out 90 mins stay home or buy a nappy. Nothing worse than getting up for a big worshipper to rub his way past you on his way there and back to do his business. Probably a member of subway loyal too who can't wait to get home to his own bog and his roll of Scott Brown bog paper.
Health reasons for me. Frustrating as hell but for me and many others we have no other option.

Renewal time only a few weeks away now you'd think? I'm sure the SLO said that fans affected would be notifed will in advance I'm CF2 row X and heard nothing. Like Empire said above think it was to take the heat off the board at the AGM, I think this will happen eventually but can't see it this summer.

I really don’t think the Bowed can get away with this this time.

If they let the disabled down yet again it will be the straw that breaks the camels back.People mentioned after the AGM announcement that it was just the board buying time and they had no intention of doing the actual work and they were pilloried for suggesting it.

With just two months to go until work would begin it looks highly unlikely to happen.
They shouldn't get away with it.

If they come out and say the 3 stands will be done over 3 seasons I think the majority will accept that.

But failure to do any this summer will be embarrassing.

I love Ibrox i love our old grand main stand facade the marble staircase the smell of the managers office the trophy room but the rest looks awful the broomloan rear is a absolute state the bf1 section is a disgrace with all those stickers on seats.. the ub mural etc the govan and copland no better toilet facilities for men woman and disabled people are dated the food stalls are like the food crap.. the corner between the govan n broomloan ie the ticket office is a
Disgrace.
The empty offices in the copland n broomloan should be full instead most lie empty..
I've commented on the seats on here a few yr ago and I was rounded on the govan front especially most seats are sun bleached and look grey on tv
Most have seen those guys who spray or heat the seats to bring them back up to the natural colour.. why hasn't that been looked into even the side panelling have done looks atrocious....

If it takes three years to get that then we are worse off than I thought.

We dug down and added 6 new rows to the whole stadium and completed the work in 3 months in the 1990s.
Apparently the cantilevers are still in the investigation stage.

So realistically that isn't happening anytime soon.

I love Ibrox i love our old grand main stand facade the marble staircase the smell of the managers office the trophy room but the rest looks awful the broomloan rear is a absolute state the bf1 section is a disgrace with all those stickers on seats.. the ub mural etc the govan and copland no better toilet facilities for men woman and disabled people are dated the food stalls are like the food crap.. the corner between the govan n broomloan ie the ticket office is a
Disgrace.
The empty offices in the copland n broomloan should be full instead most lie empty..
I've commented on the seats on here a few yr ago and I was rounded on the govan front especially most seats are sun bleached and look grey on tv
Most have seen those guys who spray or heat the seats to bring them back up to the natural colour.. why hasn't that been looked into even the side panelling have done looks atrocious....
All the office space in the Broomloan and Copland is in use. Greg Marshall confirmed this when people were asking if a Bar72 setup could be done in both stands as part of adding cantilever extensions.

Health reasons for me. Frustrating as hell but for me and many others we have no other option

All the office space in the Broomloan and Copland is in use. Greg Marshall confirmed this when people were asking if a Bar72 setup could be done in both stands as part of adding cantilever extensions.
Greg Marshall says a lot of things not everything us true though .

Was it not also confirmed that there’s no internal stairwell from the broomloan rear/Copland rear concourses to allow a similar set up, even if the offices weren’t in use?

SRU have highlighted accessible tickets as part of their complete review of the seating manifest at Murrayfield.​

Project 24/25

As part of an ongoing evaluation of the supporter experience against the backdrop of increasing demand on our available seats, we will be spending this calendar year undertaking a full review of the seating manifest at BT Murrayfield.

As we enter the second decade of the Scotland Season Pass, it is important that we continue to provide the best availability for Scotland tickets whilst balancing the demands of the business. All aspects of the seating manifest will be considered with the intention of providing season passes, match packages, clubs, groups & school allocations, hospitality and commercial obligations and, importantly, satisfying the demand for accessible tickets.

The results of Project 24/25 will be known later in the year and any changes to the current Scotland Season Pass offering and any resulting impact (if applicable) to your current Season Pass seat(s) will be communicated in advance of the renewal period for Season 2024/25.

I don’t think they publish the number season passes sold but given how few tickets go on public sale it must be in the tens of thousands. I can’t see Rangers doing this but it’s interesting to see how other organisations deal with increasing demand.
If it helps, I own a season there (South 11) Courtesy of my family and almost all the seats around me are Season Tickets

If UEFA decide that Clubs without disabled facilities that meet their requirements cannot play in European competitions unless the match takes place where do you want us to play Hampden, Murrayfield or Parkhead?

If they decide that non compliant clubs can play in their own grounds but only with a capacity that is pro rata with the requirements you'll be happy to play at Ibrox with a capacity restricted to circa 22k is that correct?
I'm very pleased our Board committed to improve disabled facilities at the Stadium
a couple of years ago, then published detailed plans at the agm in December for 162 spaces I think, plus helpers.
I'm unaware of any plans UEFA may have to implement stadium restrictions along the lines you suggest, however depending on the standards they set this would affect many more clubs than Rangers - some no doubt big clubs with excellent Hospitality facilities, but who have failed to prioritise accommodation for disabled supporters and their helpers.

If that’s the case then from memory it’s different from what the board said would happen at the AGM (should the final checks and investigation on it all be completed) and it’s obviously not been communicated yet to fans.
Is that for the proposed cantilever sections to the front of the Copland and Broomloan stands?

Or is that the removal of existing seats in both stands to accommodate our wheelchair using fans?

Not sure what to make of that.On the one hand good to see at least some sort of development of surrounding wasteland.

However it increasingly feels like our stadium is being hemmed in.
I don't think the building of a Tim Horton's drive-thru on its own will have much impact on the area surrounding our Stadium, although I hope it will be a success.
I have heard (unconfirmed) reports that discussions between Rangers and Glasgow City Council over additional match day parking in the area were unsuccessful, as there are apparently long-term plans in place for the construction of several blocks of flats in the district. I would imagine this will be in the area of Woodville Street, and possibly the old Moorepark area, although I'm not certain of this.
I have no doubt the area would benefit from redevelopment, but feel Ibrox is a long way from being hemmed-in. Remember, there used to be a railway line which ran right behind Ibrox, but that's long gone.

If it helps, I own a season there (South 11) Courtesy of my family and almost all the seats around me are Season Tickets
I think they could only offer 500 individual seats when the passes last went on sale so similar to Ibrox in that respect where families will struggle to sit together.

Easier for the SRU to implement this because the fan base has no voice.

There is some room but not enough for proper long term expansion. We already have overhang to the turnstiles to create extra ground space. Remember that increasing the capacity would mean you need even more space for the extra people - it is already tight enough around Edmiston Dr / Copland and around the Broomloan/Govan corner after games.

We should be looking longer term to buy up land around the stadium including the school, sports complex, empty land at Hinshelwood soon to be Tim (ffs) Hortons, industrial units (at least partially) behind the Govan and the few behind the Broomloan and the old housing stock at Cairnlea/Harrison.
There are a number of issues which would require to be addressed before planning permission was granted for any Stadium expansion (supposing we had the resources to fund such a project).
The Ibrox Primary School building appears to be in good condition and so far as I'm aware has a healthy roll (unlike the London Road Primary building demolished some years ago as part of a redevelopment by our East End chums), I really don't think there is any benefit to the club or local community in acquiring this site.
The properties in Cairnlea and Harrison Drive seem good examples of refurbished tenement buildings to me, probably superior to modern replacements, and with current affordable housing shortages I'd consider it unlikely permission would be granted for compulsory purchase - I believe there would also be ferocious objections, particularly as the club has recently sold land at the Albion Car Park for redevelopment.
Long term supporters of the club will understand the safety of all supporters is paramount, and whilst there may possibly be a way forward with the industrial estate at the rear and the Ibrox Sports complex I think there is currently sufficient space around the Stadium for supporters to approach and depart from Ibrox if it were enlarged by 10,000 - 15,000, although I just don't think we have the money for this. Anything over 65,000 - unlikely, I know - and I think an additional railway station may be required, which would cost millions we don't have.
The proposed new Glasgow Metro would help meet infrastructure requirements, and whilst the line from the city centre passing close to Ibrox on the way to Braehead via the QEU Hospital and Glasgow Airport is supposedly the first to be built, goodness knows when it will be completed. A new multi-storey car park either on the Albion near the railway, or on land close to Helen Street when the old Gas holder is decommissioned may also be a possibility. I think also some of the street lighting could be improved to aid safety at winter and midweek matches.

Think i'll nip along soon to try the steak pie out. At £17 without any sides included, it better be good!

Edit: ffs i've just noticed they charge an extra two quid for gravy as well!

Basically paying a premium for having a meal at Ibrox in a corporate lounge, which has the added bonus of having a view of the pitch

Don’t think the prices are that much more than you’d pay in town

Basically paying a premium for having a meal at Ibrox in a corporate lounge, which has the added bonus of having a view of the pitch

Don’t think the prices are that much more than you’d pay in town
Think my booking Sunday will over run into the B game kicking off , wonder if we’ll still be able to see the stadium or they’ll need blinds up

The bottom line with all the different options/opinions comes down to one thing. A lack of money. Ibrox is tired and past its sell-by-date, but the lack of real cash leaves the cracks being papered over and we will not the get stadium we deserve.

The Mhanks having 10,000 more seats is a huge commercial advantage up here. In England not so much due to most of their money coming from TV etc. so stadium size not such a disadvantage down there. Unfortunately the way things are moneywise for us I just can't see us closing that commercial gap anytime soon.

The Mhanks having 10,000 more seats is a huge commercial advantage up here. In England not so much due to most of their money coming from TV etc. so stadium size not such a disadvantage down there. Unfortunately the way things are moneywise for us I just can't see us closing that commercial gap anytime soon.
This for me said it countless times we have to get closer to their capacity (probably unrealistic to think we‘ll match it), my worry is they expand before us leaving a gap in financial terms we will never get near

This is the reason our ticket prices are higher than theirs. It’s also a reason why people are slightly apprehensive about doing disabled upgrade in one go, rather than in stages to allow the club to find the funding to expand the upper sections

Whatever happened to the feasibility of digging the pitch down further?

Back