Union Bears doing a collection to help pay members legal fees

uneasydaz

THE UNION Bears will be asking fellow Rangers fans for money to pay for their members' legal fees during the team's match against Dundee United tomorrow.

And several Gers supporters aren't the least bit happy about it.

The prominent fan group, often credited with creating a fiery atmosphere at Ibrox, usually ask for donations at home games to fund their tifo displays.

But tomorrow afternoon they will be raising funds to help members of their group who will be subject to legal proceedings in the wake of trouble caused at last month's Viaplay Cup Final on February 26.

Earlier today, a further three men were charged in connection with a pre-match rammy before the game, which brought the total to 13.

Several supporters of both Rangers and Celtic were involved in a street skirmish in Glasgow's southside near to Hampden, hours before the derby clash itself kicked off at the stadium.

Police have confirmed six more men have been arrested in connection with the incident.

The three, aged 24, 26 and 28, were charged and released on an undertaking to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court at a later date.

Three more, aged 18, 20 and 23, have been released pending further enquiry.

A report has been submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.

This follows the ten men who were arrested and charged in connection on Wednesday.

Eight, aged 17, 17, 20, 21, 21, 24, 25 and 25, have been released on an undertaking

Two, aged 43 and 21, appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court yesterday.

Officers also confirmed that enquiries into the incident are continuing.

A Union Bears statement read: "Tomorrow as always we will have donation buckets situated in and around the stadium. This week though the proceeds won't be going towards tifos but to support our members undergoing legal proceedings following events we all saw at Hampden last month. Please donate generously, any amount big or small is appreciated.

"Our stall can also be found in the usual place from 2pm to 2.45pm with t-shirts, hats, scarves and other items available."

The vast majority of fans in the comments were unhappy with the plans

One replied: "I'm a regular donator however this is concerning. Tell me again why I should be donating to this as it has absolutely nothing to do with Rangers FC, Ibrox, atmosphere, Tifo?

"Bold move that may have a detrimental effect on future fundraising.

"Good luck, I'll not be donating."

Another Gers fan asked: "Is this a wind up?"

"So they get themselves into bother with the authorities but expect genuine supporters to pay their legal fees," said another.

"What a brass neck," came a further reply.

While this supporter fumed: "Absolute red neck of these daft wee boys. All cops are b******* are they? Aye, until you need them because someone hurt your loved one. Grow the hell up or better yet - just p*** off."

Some sections of the Ibrox faithful did seem keen to donate however.

Anywhere to donate online as can't make the game," asked one supporter.

Another replied: "I will put double the amount in tomorrow."

Several fans also commented "SWTB", an abbreviation of "Stand with the banned" as a show of support.

Don’t agree with this one bit.

I don’t think it makes the Union bears or the club look good at all.

Previously stuck up for Union Bears but this stinks of poor judgement.
The UB were at Hampden to set up their display and were ambushed by the GB and of course stood up for themselves... The police should have did their job and stopped the GB from getting anywhere near the UB as they must have spotted them all in a group walking right towards Hampden !

Police Scotland have charged the UB for standing up for themselves..Sounds like victim blaming to me!

Any chance they can just support the team and abide by the law?

They do great work with displays but the behaviour of some of them is, lets call it juvenile to be polite.
They were defending themselves from three times their numbers. IF they were jailed during that, and I don't know if they were, then they had a right to defend themselves.

Its not Green Street, and they aren’t Charlie Hunnam and Elijah Wood.

I’m not saying sit and take bricks to the face, but thats not what happened either.

Its two groups of adults acting like 2 groups of neanderthals.
It is what happened. The UB were there to set up their display and the GB ambushed them and they fought them off and stood up for themselves and chased them away.

Police Scotland failed the UB's by not stopping the GB going anywhere near them as they must have spotted the GB and just sat back and did nothing.

The UB were at Hampden to set up their display and were ambushed by the GB and of course stood up for themselves... The police should have did their job and stopped the GB from getting anywhere near the UB as they must have spotted them all in a group walking right towards Hampden !

Police Scotland have charged the UB for standing up for themselves..Sounds like victim blaming to me!
Hi mate

I’m not disagreeing with any of that I just know how this will be spun in the media and don’t think it’s going make the club or the Union bears look good.

As a club and a support we need to get better at pr and stop allowing others to frame the argument and set the narrative.

If they did nothing wrong and the innocent wee things are being persecuted I’ll be happy to help out… so I’ll probably not be donating.

The UB were peacefully going about their own business.They acted in self defence.
Police Scotland seems to have failed to spot a group of a couple of hundred people wearing balaclavas carrying out a planned assualt.The UB had no choice but to defend themselves.
I'll donate. If it were the other way around and they attacked anyone else who were not looking for trouble then I wouldn't.

They were defending themselves from three times their numbers. IF they were jailed during that, and I don't know if they were, then they had a right to defend themselves.
Let's not paint them as whiter than white here.

They are a group who behave like juvenile kids wanting to dance with other ultras groups. That's their prerogative, but it puts a target on their back.

It's like a gang member complaining about getting attacked. Fly with the craws and all that.

What does it mean that they get in a scrap and then I pay there legal bills?

Maybe you should learn what the law says and understand the consequences
Where did I say anywhere that it meant that?

You seem to be under the impression that ultra groups don’t get involved in more than just creating displays and atmospheres at the games, I was merely suggesting you learn that that isn’t the case.

Let's not paint them as whiter than white here.

They are a group who behave like juvenile kids wanting to dance with other ultras groups. That's their prerogative, but it puts a target on their back.

It's like a gang member complaining about getting attacked. Fly with the craws and all that.
On this occasion that's exactly what they are.

They had every right to be at Hampden to set up their display and had permission to be there, the GB didnt. The GB ambushed them, they stood up for themselves ans chased them away.

Police Scotland didnt do their jobs on this morning and should have stopped the GB going anywhere near the UBs ....

Where did I say anywhere that it meant that?

You seem to be under the impression that ultra groups don’t get involved in more than just creating displays and atmospheres at the games, I was merely suggesting you learn that that isn’t the case.
Yeah but all I said was it wasn’t a good image for the club and many supporters wouldn’t want to donate to cover legal fees.

Enjoy the game today

Good luck to them, hopefully they raise a few quid to help their guys out.
I don’t have any issues with the ub fighting back against the bheasts.

Any chance they can just support the team and abide by the law?

They do great work with displays but the behaviour of some of them is, lets call it juvenile to be polite.
Obviously I don’t know exactly what happened because I wasn’t there, but if the reports that the UB were legitimately there at Hampden, and another group turned up to attack them, I’m not sure anyone on here with a straight face could say they wouldn’t defend themselves and their mates in similar circumstances?
I personally wouldn’t donate to this, but don’t see a problem with the UB’s transparently asking. They’re mostly young boys and I’m guessing mostly working class, and unfortunately £’s buys ‘justice’.

Rangers fans going about their business attacked in broad daylight by a rabble of terrorism supporting bigoted thugs, yet some of our own fans seem to think the UB were in the wrong ?
In recent years Rangers supporting children have been hit with bricks and bottles at games against the inbreds with the police doing next to nothing, was that their fault too ?
I don't agree with everything that the UB get up to, but in this situation they deserve our support, in my opinion.

Aye and when that was done they had a right good square go with the polis as well and trust me, UB were throwing first hits. Source - Me, with my own two eyes, looking right at it.

Back