Negativity over todays performance?

Brian11Laudrup

Slightly surprised by it tbh

Felt if it wasn’t for some really good saves from their keeper/defenders and some chances that we ought to have done better with, that could and should have been a 5 or 6-0

First half wasn’t exactly great but we should have went in more than 1-0 up

Second half should have seen us scoring a fair few more

My only annoyance today was probably Lundstram slowing things down far too often

I’m far from being a happyclapper but I am surprised with some comments I’ve seen since FT saying we were poor etc

My annoyance isn’t the performance

It’s the breakaways and our decision making during transitions, we were four on two and three on three at one point in second half, you just knew nothing would come of it, our decision making whilst breaking is horrific.

and continuing with Lundstram in the second half when we were clearly dominating is baffling from Beale, he slows us down no end

Last edited:
Five passes when one will do. Three or four touches before moving the ball. It’s chronic and painfully slow. Lundstram the main culprit in both.

You can understand the frustration because at the points where we up the speed we look decent but too often we are happy to make the safe, sideways pass. It’s a tough watch.

Slightly surprised by it tbh

Felt if it wasn’t for some really good saves from their keeper/defenders and some chances that we ought to have done better with, that could and should have been a 5 or 6-0

First half wasn’t exactly great but we should have went in more than 1-0 up

Second half should have seen us scoring a fair few more

My only annoyance today was probably Lundstram slowing things down far too often

I’m far from being a happyclapper but I am surprised with some comments I’ve seen since FT saying we were poor etc
Problem is we have too many of these ‘should have been 5 or 6 nil’ games and it never is. We fanńy about far too much with the ball when we have goal scoring opportunities.

Bored out my tits at the game today. Freezing cold too, which didn’t help.

That was as easy a game as we’ve had in ages because they didn’t even try to lay a glove on us, yet we toiled to break them down overplaying it as usual, terrified of taking a shot and huffing and puffing.

As for our breakaways, don’t even get me started.

Should’ve run up a cricket score today, but usual story of needing a dozen chances per goal and honestly, if Tillman wasn’t playing today, that would likely have finished a draw.

Just to pedestrian, the old horseshoe was in full force, very few looking to take responsibility, we are in dire need of a real striker with movement and finishing.

Dundee u are terrible, so we get away with it.

It’s the breakaways and our decision making during transitions, we were four on two and three on three at one point in second half, you just knew nothing would come of it, our decision making whilst breaking is horrific.

and continuing with Lundstram in the second half when we were clearly dominating is baffling from Beale, he slows up down no end
100% agree with this.

Whenever we break away at pace you’re 99.9% sure nothing will come of it. Partly because the danger men who can move at pace i.e. Kent doesn’t have the quality to be clinical. He can dribble with the ball and is a dangerous player but not enough return from him. Sakala is a bomb scare. He will either score or hit the corner flag. Tillman is the only one for me who can take it under pressure and have the composure to work a chance and bury it.

We never in trouble, we played some nice stuff but our inability to kill teams is beyond ridiculous now. Our decision making in the final third just isn't good enough overall.

We won't match this Celtic teams goal output when two thirds of our attack is Kent and Morelos. There's just not enough of a goal return from the pair of them. Kent makes some of the most hairbrained decisions in terms of picking passes that I've ever seen. Morelos gave us zero apart from one shot on target at 2-0.

Didn't help with the Jack/Lundstram combo either. The two of them playing basically the same role isn't needed at home against the jobbers

Going foward, this team absolutely has to be build around Raskin, Cantwell and Tillman. They're the future for us.

We're not a bad side, we're just total meh. Boring, functional and hugely frustrating in front of goal.

Fresh blood required and a cutting edge up front.

Tav, Jack, Lundstram, Morelos etc all look like they are playing in slow motion.

The nature of the league right now means routine wins at home aren't appreciated as much.

If Celtic had played at lunchtime today and dropped points, the general atmosphere would've been a lot more positive.

That isn’t an enjoyable watch , their tactics and our inability to move the ball quick makes for a poor afternoons viewing , apart from hearts then hibs both in Edinburgh it’s been a tough watch under Beale so far

I'm just in from the game about half an hour ago, had a quick look at the last few pages of the matchday thread and thanked my lucky stars that I only had to contend with the serial malcontent that sits a few rows behind me rather than follow the game on here!
Sure, it was a frustrating afternoon but that was all down to DU and their frustratingly negative tactics.
If it wasn't for some great goalkeeping, some last ditch defending and a few missed sitters, we'd have won that game by 5 or 6.

43/45 in the league since Beale came in. I get we want to score more goals but it’s difficult against a 10 man defence who were time wasting even at 2-0, and with better finishing it would’ve been 4 or 5. We’re still a work in progress with some players to shift and new ones to come in, but how anyone can be negative over league form with that points tally, considering we were hardly a match for St Mirren, St J or Livi when Beale came in.

43/45 in the league since Beale came in. I get we want to score more goals but it’s difficult against a 10 man defence who were time wasting even at 2-0, and with better finishing it would’ve been 4 or 5. We’re still a work in progress with some players to shift and new ones to come in, but how anyone can be negative over league form with that points tally, considering we were hardly a match for St Mirren, St J or Livi when Beale came in.

We had 28 shots at goal today and only 7 on target.

That's not down to 10 men defences or time wasting. Our finishing by and large is just not good enough.

Five passes when one will do. Three or four touches before moving the ball. It’s chronic and painfully slow. Lundstram the main culprit in both.

You can understand the frustration because at the points where we up the speed we look decent but too often we are happy to make the safe, sideways pass. It’s a tough watch.
Always two touches too many we don’t move the ball quick enough…and rarely have a runner between the FB an CB.

Its not necessarily the performance its more the fact we should be winning these games by a bigger margin, thats the difference between them and us they score more goals

Fair play to anyone that could find enjoyment in that today.

Boring beyond belief.

That's not down to 10 men defences or time wasting. Our finishing by and large is just not good enough.
Our finishing isn’t good enough I agree with, but having lots of defenders in the box generally does make the shots on target look bad, as a defender blocking the shot doesn’t count as a shot on target if the keeper is behind them. Dundee Utd had some good blocks which don’t count as shots on target.

I do agree though Kent should’ve scored, Jack should’ve scored, Colak could’ve scored. But my point is I don’t understand how 43 points out or 45 in the league can form any sort of negativity.

I’d take boring 2-0 draws every single game next season.

The paedophiles play against the same packed defences. They seem to be able to get early break throughs, and finish off with a cricket score.
Can't be that difficult if they can regularly do it.
The teams we are playing have semi pro ability.

I didn't enjoy myself so much so that at it phoned my burd to see if she was wanting to go for a few drinks after it so I feel like I've had a weekend. I could have not went today and I wouldn't be one bit fussed.

Worth noting Celtic's last two victories against DU have been by a 2-goal margin.

We're winning games at the moment so lack of goals is not really the problem, as frustrating as it is.

The poor form at the end of Gio's tenure is why we are where we are. Livingston, St Johnstone and St Mirren is the space of 3 weeks. 7 points dropped.

Welcome to Scottish football, when only one team want to play this is what you get
My only point would be is why didn’t we score more goals when they opened up in the last twenty minute, we should have punished them at this time but failed to do so

Said it earlier but the best we can probably hope for this season is to cut the 9 points down a bit and win the SC.

This squad needs a rebuild in the summer so avoid any embarrassments and win the SC. I’ll be content with the improvements so far under Beale if that’s the case.

Only 1 team to blame for it being a shite spectacle today and it's not us.

It bores the arse off of me having to watch jobbers parking the bus every second week, so it can’t be easy for the players knowing they have go out and face it again and again.

I know that’s the challenge, and that we should be starting games much brighter, and at a higher pace, but it must be soul destroying.

The only way round about it is improve our finishing and stick 5 or 6 past them everything so they maybe consider they’re as well having a go.

Problem is we have too many of these ‘should have been 5 or 6 nil’ games and it never is. We fanńy about far too much with the ball when we have goal scoring opportunities.
Was thinking the exact same. With the amount of chances we get, McCoist would have been ripping up the scoring records if we had him today.

It certainly wasn’t great and was similar to other games, but it’s not easy when the opponents make no attempt to win the game.

It’s no surprise that in recent years our best results have been in Europe and away from home domestically, when teams come at us more.

We are however winning every week, and Beale’s league record has been exceptional so far

It’s the been there done that element of it for me.

There was no real danger we weren’t taking all three points, but neither were we hammering them 5 or 6 nil on route to doing so.

It was a perfunctory win in the end, but did very little to contend that we’re a particularly different beast under Beale, other than a more admirable propensity to routinely grind out three points.

I can’t help feeling we’re two, probably three players away from winning back the title.

That absolutely needs to happen this summer.

Be careful what you wish for lads.

We were in total control today, never in danger and results and performances like this win leagues.

We are literally up against a Celtic team doing the exact same as us. Problem being, we had a November meltdown that cost us the league.

If Beale can get these results with a team that was so poor at the beginning of the season, imagine what might happen if he get a few exciting additions.

I had to go to hospital today so only saw the second half. Looked like a very packed United defence in the most part with Rangers trying to drag them out of position, I thought we did alright. Very few chances to get a shot from distance away against a packed defence like that. Tillman gets the plaudits for his goals but I thought Cantwell was, again, excellent.

It’s the been there done that element of it for me.

There was no real danger we weren’t taking all three points, but neither were we hammering them 5 or 6 nil on route to doing so.

It was a perfunctory win in the end, but did very little to contend that we’re a particularly different beast under Beale, other than a more admirable propensity to routinely grind out three points.

I can’t help feeling we’re two, probably three players away from winning back the title.

That absolutely needs to happen this summer.
Perfunctory now there's a big word, hands up all like me have not got a scooby what that means.

I had to go to hospital today so only saw the second half. Looked like a very packed United defence in the most part with Rangers trying to drag them out of position, I thought we did alright. Very few chances to get a shot from distance away against a packed defence like that. Tillman gets the plaudits for his goals but I thought Cantwell was, again, excellent.
Yes Cantwell covers every blade of the grass, when we sell him and we will he will make us a fortune.

Our finishing isn’t good enough I agree with, but having lots of defenders in the box generally does make the shots on target look bad, as a defender blocking the shot doesn’t count as a shot on target if the keeper is behind them. Dundee Utd had some good blocks which don’t count as shots on target.

I do agree though Kent should’ve scored, Jack should’ve scored, Colak could’ve scored. But my point is I don’t understand how 43 points out or 45 in the league can form any sort of negativity.

I’d take boring 2-0 draws every single game next season.
We would all have been happy enough with that today (I thought it was turgid) if we hadn’t been hampered by our start to the season.

If we’re doing that from a position of strength, or even 3 or 4 points behind then we accept that results need ground out.

We most likely won’t win the league this year but if we play poorly and win (as we’ve been doing since Beale shipped up) there will be no complaints from me if we’re challenging.

and continuing with Lundstram in the second half when we were clearly dominating is baffling from Beale, he slows us down no end
He continued with Lundstrom because he was experimenting with playing 3 centre half’s during the game q with lundstrum moving in and out defence. he was switching 5he formation on and off. Didn’t you notice? either preparing for next week or keeping fat minge guessing our formation

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for lads.

We were in total control today, never in danger and results and performances like this win leagues.

We are literally up against a Celtic team doing the exact same as us. Problem being, we had a November meltdown that cost us the league.

If Beale can get these results with a team that was so poor at the beginning of the season, imagine what might happen if he get a few exciting additions.
Correct

Professional performance, never at any risk, dont think they put much together till about 62 mins.

Yes we arent scoring enough, but in the league we have scored 40 goals since Beale has come in.

We are back to almost Walter smith levels, where we turn up and win. We need to take the next step and start beating that mob regularly and winning trophies.

I think we played differently today than we have done in the past, we tried to go through the middle more and there were less crosses in to the box.

I think its damming for Lundstram that we started to play better in the first half when he sat back and Goldson pushed forward more.

Was dying for us to just do something in that first half. Needless touches, over passing, all a bit predictable.

But what do you expect with some of the players in our team and an opposition who should be playing second tier football.

Back