Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

This is the reason our ticket prices are higher than theirs. It’s also a reason why people are slightly apprehensive about doing disabled upgrade in one go, rather than in stages to allow the club to find the funding to expand the upper sections

Whatever happened to the feasibility of digging the pitch down further?
There’s only so far you can go before it affects even more views in the club deck surely

Had the steak pie last night. Was on the small side but it was excellent. Plenty of gravy in it so no need to order more. Would order a few sides if you’re a big eater though.

Was a brilliant experience overall. Even had the pleasure of watching a pished maw at her sons birthday dinner cause carnage. Was a top class night.

If anyone follows Food review club on facebook or Tiktok, find his review of Mother Hubbards chippy in Birmingham where you get Jaws on a plate, chips, mushy peas, gravy and curry sauces on the side for £17. Apparently they are opening up in Springfield Quay in Glasgow, the fish looks unreal.

The Mhanks having 10,000 more seats is a huge commercial advantage up here. In England not so much due to most of their money coming from TV etc. so stadium size not such a disadvantage down there. Unfortunately the way things are moneywise for us I just can't see us closing that commercial gap anytime soon.
That 10k advantage becomes irrelevant if we get our finger out & start winning on the pitch. We had our foot on their throats winning 55 & never kicked on from then.

It’s really not though if we both qualify for europe each season they will always be the default richest club in Scotland
I don't think they would sell out season tickets if we are dominant on the pitch.
Just my honest opinion.

Last edited:
I don't think they would sell out season tickets if were dominant on the pitch.
Just my honest opinion.
Weren’t they doing deals when we were in the lower leagues? I don’t for one minute believe that their % of season tickets to capacity is anywhere near Rangers.

Casual mhanks get tickets all the time.

Bears struggle for tickets if they don’t have a season ticket

Weren’t they doing deals when we were in the lower leagues? I don’t for one minute believe that their % of season tickets to capacity is anywhere near Rangers.

Casual mhanks get tickets all the time.

Bears struggle for tickets if they don’t have a season ticket
Speaking to one of them recently, a ST Holder in the piggery mind you, he said that the stadium was entirely ST this year. Not sure how much truth to that though

A long term strategy for stadium expansion really needs to be the number one priority for this board considering how much we rely on ticket sales.

They tend to keep a lot of development issues secret so they might be on top of this but I highly doubt it.

Get the fans involved and bought into it. Create a phased plan that people can get behind which should help fund part of it with different imaginative schemes.

A long term strategy for stadium expansion really needs to be the number one priority for this board considering how much we rely on ticket sales.

They tend to keep a lot of development issues secret so they might be on top of this but I highly doubt it.

Get the fans involved and bought into it. Create a phased plan that people can get behind which should help fund part of it with different imaginative schemes.
Unfortunately we still rely on soft loans from investors.

A stadium expansion couldn't be any further away.

Unfortunately we still rely on soft loans from investors.

A stadium expansion couldn't be any further away.
The problem is that’s not true.

The accessible platforms are high on the priority list which does the opposite in terms of capacity as it’s been stated they don’t have money for the cantilevers but will be doing the work anyway.

So stadium development is current, but we as fans have no insight to what the long term strategy is.

I’m not saying we need to do this asap but we do need to have a plan for people to get behind. Liverpool and City are both doing just that, but even for them it’s a bit at a time with a long term strategy in the background.

If you tied any stadium development in with mygers you would probably get a spike in membership from fans who want to help but don’t really know the best way to get money to the club. I’m sure there are many other imaginative ways people could be enticed.

The problem is that’s not true.

The accessible platforms are high on the priority list which does the opposite in terms of capacity as it’s been stated they don’t have money for the cantilevers but will be doing the work anyway.

So stadium development is current, but we as fans have no insight to what the long term strategy is.

I’m not saying we need to do this asap but we do need to have a plan for people to get behind. Liverpool and City are both doing just that, but even for them it’s a bit at a time with a long term strategy in the background.

If you tied any stadium development in with mygers you would probably get a spike in membership from fans who want to help but don’t really know the best way to get money to the club. I’m sure there are many other imaginative ways people could be enticed.
I've been told the new platforms will be completed over a number of seasons. There is still no word on any starting this summer either.

Yes a debenture type scheme for say another tier on the Govan would be my thinking.
Ten year purchase of season ticket, 6k seats at £600 would raise £36m in capital to fund a build. Not unthinkable and if done then no reason why the other stands couldn't follow suit.
Granted we wouldn't see profit from that for a long time but you can't stand still forever. If they replace their 'main stand' we could end up almost 20k behind in capacity. Need to be forward thinking now, not react when it's possibly too late.

Yes a debenture type scheme for say another tier on the Govan would be my thinking.
Ten year purchase of season ticket, 6k seats at £600 would raise £36m in capital to fund a build. Not unthinkable and if done then no reason why the other stands couldn't follow suit.
Granted we wouldn't see profit from that for a long time but you can't stand still forever. If they replace their 'main stand' we could end up almost 20k behind in capacity. Need to be forward thinking now, not react when it's possibly too late.
This. There’s no reason at all not to put another tier on the govan. Would add another 7k premium seats, make it bar72 standard. We don’t need 70k stadium but we do need 58-60k. The demand is there.

We used to be a forward thinking innovative club who lead men. What are we now? Can’t even install safe standing and some decent and much needed handicapped facilities.

This. There’s no reason at all not to put another tier on the govan. Would add another 7k premium seats, make it bar72 standard. We don’t need 70k stadium but we do need 58-60k. The demand is there.

We used to be a forward thinking innovative club who lead men. What are we now? Can’t even install safe standing and some decent and much needed handicapped facilities.

Liverpool added 7000 seats and it cost approx £80m

It wouldn’t cost us near that much. The Govan has nothing behind it, work wouldn’t be complicated. Take the roof off, add another tier and put the roof back on. Make it premium leather seats and have a bar72 vibe call it club150 and it would pay for itself in a few years.

Im not an architect but it could easily be done.

It wouldn’t cost us near that much. The Govan has nothing behind it, work wouldn’t be complicated. Take the roof off, add another tier and put the roof back on. Make it premium leather seats and have a bar72 vibe call it club150 and it would pay for itself in a few years.

Im not an architect but it could easily be done.

I don’t work in construction but I think you’re underestimating the works

The reason Liverpools one stand redevelopment is costing so much is because the limited space behind the Anfield Rd and it being worked on at limited times as they dont want to shut the stand for any period of time and do complete changeover in the summer.

We all walked underneath the building site to enter the ground this summer.

The reason Liverpools one stand redevelopment is costing so much is because the limited space behind the Anfield Rd and it being worked on at limited times as they dont want to shut the stand for any period of time and do complete changeover in the summer.

Exactly. It would cost nowhere near that for us to stick a tier on the govan. We have plenty space no buildings behind it and unrestricted access. People need to open their minds a bit to what can be done instead of just shutting the idea down.

Pretty much anything is achievable with vision.
Steel is a premium price right now but I’d like to think we could install a lightweight roof compared to what we have currently which would help structurally. The Anfield Road stand was costed at £60m. The principal contractor from memory made some significant errors in their calcs, the increase in cost will sit with them I would anticipate.
The club should be looking to see if there is demand from the support to help fund this type of project. They might be surprised by what the response is.
I don’t work in construction but I think you’re underestimating the works

Exactly. It would cost nowhere near that for us to stick a tier on the govan. We have plenty space no buildings behind it and unrestricted access. People need to open their minds a bit to what can be done instead of just shutting the idea down.
It wouldnt be a much difference in cost.

Adding an additional tier to the Govan is an extremely complex project.

With the space behind the stands it would likely be cheaper and quicker to pull them down and rebuild but would need to move to Hampden for a season or so.

If it had to be done whilst playing at Ibrox the additional loss of revenue from having a stand out of commission would make it not viable.

It wouldnt be a much difference in cost.

Adding an additional tier to the Govan is an extremely complex project.

With the space behind the stands it would likely be cheaper and quicker to pull them down and rebuild but would need to move to Hampden for a season or so.

If it had to be done whilst playing at Ibrox the additional loss of revenue from having a stand out of commission would make it not viable.
We could put a tier on the govan with minimal disruption over one summer. Liverpool have chosen the costlier , more time consuming way for a variety of reasons. The two projects aren’t remotely comparable

the reason its costing that price, is that it has loads of bars /restaurants,retail and other assorted spaces that will help pay for this in a relatively short space of time, one look at the size of this complex compared to the Anfield rd stand before work commenced,will show just the amount of room this is creating,as regards for the limited space behind the stand, Anfield rd will be diverted around the new stand when it opens

We could put a tier on the govan with minimal disruption over one summer. Liverpool have chosen the costlier , more time consuming way for a variety of reasons. The two projects aren’t remotely comparable
They are pretty much a carbon copy of what would be intended, except they are replacing the top tier and we would be adding one.

The whole support structure for the govan would need replaced in your example. Its not something that would be changed out in a summer, we couldnt complete the corner infills in that timeframe.

They are pretty much a carbon copy of what would be intended, except they are replacing the top tier and we would be adding one.

The whole support structure for the govan would need replaced in your example. Its not something that would be changed out in a summer, we couldnt complete the corner infills in that timeframe.
Crazy that some think it's a case of taking the roof off, building onto the existing and putting the roof back on.

A carbon copy? Have you seen the plans for anfield Road? Restaurants, bars, meeting rooms, catering, conference rooms etc. Theres a reason it’s costing so much and also they are doing all that work without closing the stand down. That adds massively.

We’ve got as much space as you could want at the back of the govan.

The defeatist, negative attitude from some that we can just never improve our stadium no matter what is alien to me.

As I said forty years ago we weren’t by any means Rich we built one of the most modern stadiums in Europe of its time. Im sure using modern methods we can add a tier onto one of the stands for a reasonable cost.

A carbon copy? Have you seen the plans for anfield Road? Restaurants, bars, meeting rooms, catering, conference rooms etc. Theres a reason it’s costing so much and also they are doing all that work without closing the stand down. That adds massively.

We’ve got as much space as you could want at the back of the govan.

The defeatist, negative attitude from some that we can just never improve our stadium no matter what is alien to me.

As I said forty years ago we weren’t by any means Rich we built one of the most modern stadiums in Europe of its time. Im sure using modern methods we can add a tier onto one of the stands for a reasonable cost.
If we were redeveloping any stand it would come with associated development of hospitality lounges/seats etc.

No one is defeatist, we can do whatever we want but what is economic and what we can get credit facilities for that dont cause us issues long term.

Its unrealistic to assume that stadium redevelopment is relatively simple or cheap.

Any decent increase to capacity would have to come from the area at the screens i reckon. There were artists impressions a couple of years ago of two different possible scenarios of adding seats to the areas and one of them looked pretty straightforward. I cant find them now but i think these had maybe even come from the club at a presentation.

If we were redeveloping any stand it would come with associated development of hospitality lounges/seats etc.

No one is defeatist, we can do whatever we want but what is economic and what we can get credit facilities for that dont cause us issues long term.

Its unrealistic to assume that stadium redevelopment is relatively simple or cheap.
Fair points but I do think there’s an element of negativity and fear engulfed us since 2012.

We currently sell out of season tickets. We took over 100,000 supporters to Seville. We are back to being a solid top 50 club in Europe, by UEFA rankings.

We sell huge amounts of kit and merchandise, we now have NEH up and running. We have more commercial partners than ever before.

Despite our own feelings as fans towards some of our boards decisions, we are probably viewed more positively now globally as a brand than at any time in our history , helped by having Gerrard lead us to 55 and of course Seville.

We are all dissatisfied just now with some aspects of course, as it always should be as we are inherently a winning club.

I just hope we haven’t lost sight of the ambition and drive our founders and struth and other greats had for our club and now just accept we can never improve again.

Any decent increase to capacity would have to come from the area at the screens i reckon. There were artists impressions a couple of years ago of two different possible scenarios of adding seats to the areas and one of them looked pretty straightforward. I cant find them now but i think these had maybe even come from the club at a presentation.
From people i knew working on the project the curved cantilever up to under the screens was the only viable solution due to the costs involved with changing the structure of the roofs. The third option was going down and from other sources i heard that was also a no go.

But as you said, they were leaked a couple years ago, nothing since.

The disabled platform was rushed out as something going ahead this summer, nothing since.

The lack of communication and customer involvement this club has is infuriating.

Clear dialog with fans would go a long way.

From people i knew working on the project the curved cantilever up to under the screens was the only viable solution due to the costs involved with changing the structure of the roofs. The third option was going down and from other sources i heard that was also a no go.

But as you said, they were leaked a couple years ago, nothing since.

The disabled platform was rushed out as something going ahead this summer, nothing since.

The lack of communication and customer involvement this club has is infuriating.

Clear dialog with fans would go a long way.

The cantilever to under the screens and being accessed from the rear sections of the other stands seemed achievable to me but im far from an expert.

Communication from the club is a shambles.

Ibrox is still technically an "incomplete" stadium. I think in years to come long after we're all gone, three tiers will be added to the other three stands. At this moment in time this is still a club with not much financial backing behind it, still recovering from administration, but as the years go on and the club gets back to where it belongs competing regularly on the highest European stage, we will be able to build an Ibrox that would have a large enough capacity for everyone. Arguably between 65,000-70,000 seats. We should have 60,000 at the moment but that's an argument for another day. Made an arse of it having a stadium as little as 50,000 then Celtic are making whatever their extra 10,000 capacity has on us every season. We've reaches the maximum number for season ticket holders as well which is another reason to prove our 50,000 capacity is far too small.

Back